main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official** Love Story discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Dark Helmet, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    You mean, like the series the "Crystal Cave" is in? I read that a long time ago. I enjoyed "Once and Future King." I also like silly things like Disney's "Sword in the Stone." I cried my eyes out over "Camelot" and today I would not be able to watch it -- too sad and tragic. I didn't much care for "Excalibur" but really liked the appearance of that version of "Merlin". My fav fairy tales will always be "The Lord of the Rings", though. Not much can beat it in my book. :)

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Ladies- as much as this has been a fun departure from the usual intellectual catfights- I am off- need to get ready for bed. It's 1:30 too late for me on a work night!

Catch you all tomorrow. Ch 3 will be posted on my story! Check it out....

U- exactly "The Crystal Cave," "The Hollow Hills," "The Last Enchantment," and "The Wicked Day."

Frigging brilliant books.

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Sorry U its late, I think I was thinking of the Anakin's metcaphysical echo ...ack!! Too many threads :)

4. MASTER-WINDU

MASTER-WINDU Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2002
    (Windu rushes in, still clutching her four-iron, and a golf ball from the moon for Mistress U)

PLJ,

Don't go yet! I still have to yell ...

I LOVE HUGH JACKMAN!

Oh God, that man is gorgeous! Oh God, that man is gorgeous!

By the way, I love David Duchovny too!

Rhonderoo --

Do you think the Kaminoans would agree to clone Hugh for us? Of course, we'll just make it three clones, one for you, one for PLJ and one for me!

Mistress U --

I think Denzel Washington is MACHO! I remember Sean Connery in "The Hunt For Red October". If that guy were my Captain, hey, I wound't mind spending a year underwater -- and I can't swim! :D

Hugs all around! :)

5. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Windu,

Awwww! Thank you!

Denzel is adorable, and what a talent! I loved him in "The Pelican Brief," "Courage Under Fire" and "Crimson Tide."

6. MASTER-WINDU

Jun 27, 2002
    Saw Denzel too in "Bone Collector" ... if that guy were going to be my boss, I would've seriously considered a career as a CSI (incidentally, I enjoy CSI!) Imagine working with the likes of him everyday! I swear, I really held my breath in the climax, when that crazed killer came after him in his apartment, and him lying there unable to move! Urgh! :mad:

I seriously wish they had declared a tie at the Oscars for him AND Russel Crowe. They are both incredible talents!

*Hugs to the Mistress!*

7. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Or we can settle with the fued between Denzel and Russell in "Virtuosity".

8. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    I haven't seen "Bone Collector" yet. We just purchased "Remember the Titans." But I haven't had the chance to watch it. The best VCR is in the kid's room, and they usually don't like giving up the TV so mom can watch a video. hehe

Oh and I need to modify my top 10! Tom Cruise goes in there, somewhere. I can squeeze him between Heath Ledger and Cary Elwes. heh. But I don't want to lose Charlton Heston or Sidney Poitier. Two more great actors, so I guess that moves Cary Elwes off the top 10. Sorry, Cary. (Gads he's cute and that british accent is great!)

I really did think Hayden Christensen was cute, but he's so young. heh I think it was the romance that appealed to me, more than anything. It was very ...err.. romantic. :D But he is an intense young man! And his eyes are admittedly steamy and wonderful. So I'll give him 12th place, right below Cary Elwes, who is just lusciously cute.

9. anakin-player

anakin-player Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2002
    I seriously wish they had declared a tie at the Oscars for him AND Russel Crowe.

Master-Windu

What?? Russell Crowe is an egotistical jerk who shouldn't even be allowed to be in the acting profession. I'm glad that he didn't win because his attitude is a disgrace to the entertainment industry. Sorry I couldn't hold back my personal feelings for the guy.

10. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Eek, the more I think about it, the more I recall other famous actors that are wonderful! Like Errol Flynn and Cary Grant and Gregory Peck! Argh, there aren't enough numbers between 1 and 10. hehe

11. MASTER-WINDU

Jun 27, 2002
    A-P,

"Sorry I couldn't hold back my personal feelings for the guy."

That's OK. I also think he needs an attitude-check (and that is putting it mildly). Nonetheless, I thought his performance in "A Beautiful Mind" was terrific. :)

Mistress U,

Ah, Cary Grant, who was so dashing in "An Affair to Remember" ... and Gregory Peck in "Roman Holiday"! (Sigh)

12. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Aye, then there's Antonio Banderas, Paul Newman and Matthew Broderick. Lotsa great actors. My favorite people in the world are the members of my family (and some of my friends), but there's always plenty of room in my heart for the talented amongst us. God didn't give them their talents for no reason. Rutger Hauer is another one. Amazing actor. Never forget him as the android, Roy Batty, in Blade Runner, or as Etienne Navarre in Ladyhawke. Here's Rutger's Official website, you can actually hear him speaking directly to the people who visit his site: Rutger Hauer's Official Site

Anyway...

13. ANIPADME

ANIPADME Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2002
    Hello everyone,it's me again armed with lotsa responses to pass around.

Lady Kenobi writes:
    I have visited other threads and seen the one-liners and the trolls posting.
    I was pleasantly suprised with this thread, with its intelligent discussion of the aspects of the love story.

I was pleasantly surprised too.JMO,this is the best thread that,I have the pleasure of participating in with its perceptive posts and keen posters,who share their various opinions in a civilized manner.

Falls the shadow,

Unfortunately,I only met HC once last year,when my friends and I went clubbing here in Vancouver.I would definitely give my right arm to Dooku himself for another chance to see HC and tell him what you've told me(crossing my fingers).

Obi-can,

I hope you'll feel better soon,so why don't you double the ice pack to ease your pain immediately,hmmm.Anyways,have you seen Hayden's short lived TV series Higher Ground? Holy smokes! Kudos to The Gorgeous One for being a scene stealer in this acting gig as well as in LAAH.

Irishjedi writes:
    I generally concede him to be attractive enough though not great,but this picture is pretty smoldering IMHO.

How wrong you are my dear.He is not simply attractive enough.On the contrary,he is a TOTAL hunk,a golden boy in the truest sense(reminds me of Legolas without the long hair)and a down to earth guy to boot.What a killer combination!

PLJ,
    Thanks for the yummy pictures of our dear hunky Hayden.I can't wait to see him filled up in the right places come 2005(with his awesome height and soon to be bulky muscles,he can easily beat up spidy to a bloody pulp).

The Abstract,
    Awesome pictures of Padme you have there.NP is a wonderful actress and it's an added bonus that she matches The Gorgeous One(a.k.a HC)in the looks department.The Skywalkers are a pack of goodlooking fictionalized characters indeed!

Well that's it!I'm gonna go to sleep.

14. MASTER-WINDU

Jun 27, 2002
    Mistress U, are you still there?

Rutger Hauer as Etienne of Navarre -- the fulfillment of all my imaginings of a medieval hero.

Thought I'd let you know that Chapter VI of my tale is up. Hope you like it. :)

About your post on my story thread, my memory is far from photographic. But there are some images that you never, ever forget -- and certainly, Vader in that flowing black cloak, walking down that cramped corridor in Princess Leia's ship surrounded by an aura of doom so palpable that you can feel it grabbing you by the throat, oh that is an image you don't forget, especially since I saw it at the age of 11! Thank goodness there's that image of Anakin and Padme standing at the balcony at the Lake Country retreat to show us that "Vader" was once a handsome young man with loving eyes and a heart that could and ultimately was broken. :_|

15. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002

Been gone for a while...thought I would toss out a few things... even if I AM seriously under-caffeinated at the moment...

I have noted many times that it is VERY tough to try and pin down why a romance "works" or not - for that matter, it can be tough to explain "why" something is scary, or funny, etc. And I do think that if the something works for you, it colors how you see the movie, and if it doesn't, that also colors how you see things in the movie. Of course, this is also a classic "chicken or the egg" thing, because it is not like you render that "work/doesn't work" verdict and THEN see the movie..the two things are playing off one another.

Why the long-winded prologue? Because I have been reading the discussion of Padme's attire in the movie, and wanted to offer this.... As someone who did NOT find the romance terribly convincing, I certainly noted that Padme was making some interesting wardrobe choices if her intent WAS to "do the right thing" and not further Anakin's clear interest in her. Not that her outfits were sleazy, mind you, but they were..provocative?... in a stylish, classy way - which of course raises the question of why she chose them. It COULD be that on Naboo, such outfits are considered "no big deal", it could be she unconsciously DOES want to seduce Anakin, or it could be that, her protestations aside, she CONSCIOUSLY wants to encourage his attentions.

Similarly, I was struck by how Padme allowed so much intimacy in her interactions with Anakin. Yes, he had to "guard" her... but you don't have to share meadow romps and fireside, night-time conversations (while dressed as she was!) with your guard. A woman I work with once made what I thought was a very interesting observation re affairs - that they usually start LONG before either party does something that is clearly, 100% "wrong"... and that on some level, both parties do know when they take those first few steps down that path. The wise person avoids those steps... Padme did not.

Basically, for some time, as one who was NOT especially enamored of the love story, I chalked a lot of this up to ham-handed writing... it was necessary for Padme and Anakin to fall in love, so she dressed a certain way, and permitted certain things to happen because, well, they HAD to to get the story where Lucas wanted it to go. I have, increasingly, felt open to an alternate explanation, but not one that is very flattering to Padme... that she is a classic "smart woman making very stupid choices" here (and lest this be seen as misogynistic, I make no claim that this category encompasses MOST women, or that men are immune to a vast catalog of stupid choices of their own!).

As to Natalie Portman's acting... I have to say that Padme seems limited in range to me. Maybe this is by design. I respect those of you who think you see all kinds of subtle hints in her eyes, etc, but.. frankly, I don't think I am altogether insensitive ;) and I don't see a lot going on on that lovely face, or in those lovely eyes. It is very hard to know how much of that is Ms Portman, how much of that is GL, how much of that is the script, etc. And no, I am NOT a sixteen year old girl... ;)

At any rate, more of my ramblings, for what they are worth...*S*

Shadow

16. pandawan

pandawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2002
    whew...lots of, shall we say, yearning on the posts late last night!
    for a sunday night!

Undomiel, I too have always thought sean connery just stunning, and harrison ford was probably my first and most intense experience of oh-my-god-he's-hot.

I think in the 30 times I've seen Raiders I'd at least wanted to cry once or twice at the Marian/Indy love scene...there is something incredibly bittersweet about that scene, even if you're not contemplating how short time is!
    For you, U, the connery fan....did you catch him in his little tiny role in Time Bandits?
    AS Agammemnon? There was something about his look and manner in that movie that moved me bigtime...oh my. IMHO sean didn't even get hunky til he was 50 or so. Doesn't do a think for me as bond. Yes, I would get over my claustrophobia if stuck in a sub with Sean (and Denzel too!)...

I am so out of it media-wise, that I don't even know who Hugh Jackman is. amazing, eh?

And I am so these days enamored of Ewan Mcgregor. How absolutely stunningly enthusiastically (but with an edge of course) lovely he is in Moulin Rouge. Now I'm going to have to rent all his stuff...
    Liam Neeson too is pretty hot, don't you think? In a totally different way of course..

Okay, just had to add all that....out of my system now.

Shadow-Jedi,
    I agree that these outfits and taking them to a meadow and a lake and all that was part of her letting this all happen. I just wished she had played it more like she was hoping it would!
    That whole affair thing is very relevant I think. In a way, given that anakin was married to the jedi, this was like an affair. I like that...
    I just don't think it was a case of smart woman making stupid choices, necessarily.

Obican, I must say that even though I used to think that the 'dying inside' line was
    stilted and silly, I don't now. I think it could have been just fine, if played a bit differently then and up til that point.
    I think the context sets it up ok, with them about to go out to die. And Anakin says something like " don't be afraid to die" just before...I don't think it's terrible writing. That scene actually was one where I thought the directing was lacking...I didn't like the shot angles and so on..

17. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    Harrison was quite the dish in Raiders- have you ever seen "The Frisco Kid" with him and Gene Wilder

I love that movie. HE is so young, but it is hysterical. Gene Wilder always is, and with Harrison Ford as the no so old grouch. Any one who hasn't seen it has to see it. I mean Harrison Ford getting wet, that alone is worth the price.

LOL

18. pandawan

Jul 12, 2002
    Okay Okay enough of the lust already, but I just checked out the link to the instyle magazine page on HC...wow.

Yes, Abstract, the line about "run-ins" with water seems a little...simple (love that adjective!), but the rest is ok, no?

That photo is perhaps the nicest I've seen of him...he might age well indeed. He's got a very sincere sensuality thing going, with a good sense of mask-wearing edginess. It's that combination I think that some women like so much...me among them! And liking water, by the way, I think is very appealing...
    (we already know he doesn't care for sand...)

19. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Pandawan.....

Prrrrr to that photo of HC. Darn am at work- cannot oogle.

IamZam-

Thanks to Frisco Kid- the words Tuckus and Oigivalt (however the heck that is spelled is beyond me!) were added to my vocabulary eons ago... I LOVE that movie.

BTW Ch 3 is up for my story!

20. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Shad0w Jedi,

or it could be that, her protestations aside, she CONSCIOUSLY wants to encourage his attentions.

I think this is true, personally. She didn't want to encourage him to destroy his and her own life, but she was so
    taken with him by the time they get to Naboo, she doesn't want to discourage him either. She likes what he's saying to her and so forth. Now mind you, I had to debate some aspects of this myself before I came to the conclusion that the love story was written to provide some psychological insight into why she does what she does and why Anakin does what he does. Most men (who like the love story) can't blame him for going for Padme, even though it will screw up his career as a JK. And most women (who like the love story) can't blame Padme for going for Anakin, even though it will screw up her career as a Senator. So if most of us can't blame them, then all that's left is to feel sorrow for them at what will happen in the next film.

Pandawan,

I think in the 30 times I've seen Raiders I'd at least wanted to cry once or twice at the Marian/Indy love scene...there is something incredibly bittersweet about that scene, even if you're not contemplating how short time is!

It never made me cry or get misty-eyed in the past! I usually giggled at it and thought, wow, he's handsome. :D

For you, U, the connery fan....did you catch him in his little tiny role in Time Bandits?
    AS Agammemnon?

I didn't see Time Bandits. I rented it and brought it home, then got so busy, I couldn't watch it before it was time to return it to the Video Store. I guess I'll have to check it out, right after I finally watch "Remember the Titans."

There was something about his look and manner in that movie that moved me bigtime...oh my. IMHO sean didn't even get hunky til he was 50 or so. Doesn't do a think for me as bond. Yes, I would get over my claustrophobia if stuck in a sub with Sean (and Denzel too!)...

No doubt, concerning Sean! Talking about a man who ages gracefully! Denzel was awesome in "Crimson Tide." That film had me on the edge of my seat, as well. Great directing.

Liam Neeson too is pretty hot, don't you think? In a totally different way of course..

Yes, Liam is extraordinary, as well. Ah so many talented people. :)

21. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    I'm still contemplating Ewan McGregor. I'll watch Moulin Rogue ...some day. My son keeps insisting that I would not like it because 1) it'd make me cry, and 2) it's a tragedy that'd make me cry. heh I don't cry easy and when I do cry, it makes me physically ill for the following 24 hours or so.

As far as his performances in Star Wars, I've never really thought about him as handsome. He seemed more -- annoyed, than anything else. Whereas I immediately thought Liam was attractive. Perhaps it's that age barrier again, although I think Ewan's co-star in Moulin Rogue is in my age category.

22. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2002
    That pic of HC in water is great! Kinda makes me wish GL had put in a scene of Ani & Padme swimming at the Lake Country or something. :)

As far as his performances in Star Wars, I've never really thought about him as handsome. He seemed more -- annoyed, than anything else.

LOL...I agree with the "annoyed" description. I think that's the first word that pops into my mind when I think about Obi-Wan. As for Ewan McGregor, I think he's very handsome.

23. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    U and PLJ,

It seems like you guys had a fabulous slumber party last night. Were there any pillow fights? ;)

[image=http://64.227.26.45/Grilled-Sarlacc/c/dorme/dorme_23.jpg]

:D

24. pandawan

Jul 12, 2002
    well now I'm going to have to go out and find frisco kid!

I agree that ewan didn't come off as exactly handsome in TPM..better though in AOTC.
    whereas liam was stunning in TPM (I just watched it again this morning...son's wish before school starts tomorrow!)

but ever since naw ibo's link to the outtake from moulin rouge, i've been very into ewan!
    he is just lovely in it...and sings really well too! really he was kind of a revelation for me...i love that feeling, of suddenly finding someone lovely. and since i am commited in the real world, the only place it's totally safe to have that rush of crush is in the movies! and try to have some of that feeling remind you of why you had it for your current mate...
    yes, moulin rouge is sad, but very funny too in many places. ewan just completely convinces me in this role...

made me think too again of the comments made, in a less let's-all-indulge-in-thinking-about-who's-hot way, recently about the whole idea of being in love with love.

what's wrong with that?
    the greatest thing, as Christian says, that you will ever learn, is just to love, and be loved in return...ah..

25. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Abstract,

hehe. I'm too old for slumber parties! :D

But I'm not too old to appreciate masculinity and talent. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.