main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official** Love Story discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Dark Helmet, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandawan

pandawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2002
    I think Padme looks infinitely hotter in the nightie than in the corset kinds of sexy outifts....don't the guys?
    I mean, the gloves in that black get-up...really.

I must say too that hc always looks good, but i like a little more layering at the neck for him than he gets in the gauzy shirt...
    the gauze is a nice contrast point though to the armor he has to wear soon...so sad. And one of those lovely hands is already gone too...

I just watched the duel scene in TPM again today, and my my it was good. My 6-year-old son is looking for ideas for the new star wars episodes he's asking us to tape in the evenings, where I get to play director (he'd want to, but he also really wants to be swinging a saber) and he and his 2 year old sister battle the evil sith lord, played by daddy dressed in a graduation gown with a dark towel over his head.
    He (the son) likes the TPM duel better than those in AOTC too, but he's also only seen it twice.

2. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    My 6-year-old son is looking for ideas for the new star wars episodes he's asking us to tape in the evenings, where I get to play director (he'd want to, but he also really wants to be swinging a saber) and he and his 2 year old sister battle the evil sith lord, played by daddy dressed in a graduation gown with a dark towel over his head.

Bashers: read that and analyze it- THEN tell me the new films aren't as inspiring and attractive as the OT films were.

COUNT DOOKULA SEZ:
    Betcha can't!

3. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Pooja

Bashers fear this thread. It's a place of civility and intelligence. They don't know what to make of this world.

Besides, Mistresses Undomiel and PadmeLeiaJaina would make them beg for mercy. 8-}

4. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Well in that case...

[image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/211f178b/bc/Other/DOOKUPUFFS.jpg?bc47kk9AWt2LM0Do]

COUNT DOOKULA SEZ:
    Sweeeeeet.

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Pooja

LOL! What the heck is that??? Too funny.

And yes I like your comment about Ani and Padme being stiff because they are so darned confused/ uptight/ in love.... very true....

6. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    PLJ:

Don't ask. It's the results of me being very bored and my love for Count Dooku. You know. Love as in whoa, he's awesome!

Because...

[image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/211f178b/bc/Other/DOOKUPUFFS.jpg?bc47kk9AWt2LM0Do]

COUNT DOOKULA SEZ:
    I trained in the Jedi arts AND in the ways of the Dark Side.

Jedi arts? Hah! I meant Jedi FARTS.

7. Obi-Can

Obi-Can Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    Anakin did no different in killing the Tuskens than many of our own military men did in slaughtering villages of people during the Vietnam war. The Tuskens and the humans on Tatooine have been engaged in a Cold War for years. That didn't help their plight once Anakin found his mother dead in their camp. In many ways, what he did was more acceptable on a human level, than what some of our own military did during Vietnam. But, war is war. It's never pretty, nor does it inspire humaneness amongst the human participants. They can't afford to be humane and in many cases, they lose sight of it entirely and go beserk, a'la Anakin.

Undomiel,

Big difference IMO. This makes it more reprehensible. He is doing it for personal and selfish needs. He's relieving his guilt and anger on the lives of innocents. Anakin isn't acting as a soldier, he could care less what the Tuskens have done to the settlers, he's in it for personal revenge not war. He's not even protecting his mother or defending himself. HE HAS NO EXCUSES! War at least is a noble goal, where you are putting your life on the line for an ideal rather than personal gaines. Much more honorable than what Anakin did.

I think in the book it is clearly stated that there have been ongoing raids between the Tuskens and the settlers for years, so their have clearly been atrocities on both sides. Anakin has no moral mandate to go in and murder at will because he's hurting. Whatever religion or moral code you subscribe to this is wrong and it's murder.

On top of this he's a Jedi, he is sworn to protect the innocent and the not so innocent. Granted he may have felt rage for what was done to his mother, but the children clearly had no hand in it, so there is no justification no matter how you cut it. He is a murderer of innocent children. This I think is unredeemable. Even his actions in ROTJ does not wipe this debt out, not counting the untold millions of innocents he kills subsequent to this.

This action alone proves he's no jedi and if he's not crazy (major issues) then this action condemns his soul.

8. The_Abstract

Jul 16, 2002
    I think Padme looks infinitely hotter in the nightie than in the corset kinds of sexy outifts....don't the guys?
    I mean, the gloves in that black get-up...really.

Hmmmm....Alright Guys.

Time for A Top 5 List of Your Favorite Padme Costumes.

Let the Voting Begin.

Feel free to include any reasons to back up the list.

Meditate on this I will. [face_love]

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well this is something the girls can jump in with as well.

1) Meadow dress- just gorgeous.

2) Initial Queen Gown in TPM - I love that wild half circular hairdoo and the red gown w/ the lightup globes at the hem. (Damn the Oscars! :mad: )

3) Tatooine Confession gown- I think it looks like a Madonna outfit. I just love it.

4) The Dominiatrix dress- I mean fireplace scene dress- kudos to GL for making Luke and Leia's mom hot as hell. No wonder Ani fell off the Jedi bandwagon. (And kudos to GL for showing the world he's not as much of a boy scout as he'd probably like the world to think he is- considering he designed that dress!)

5) Packing dress. I have no idea why I like that outfit- the Hopi style buns and the harsh style of the dress just so matches with her personality at that point- abrasive and superior. It tries to set her apart from her female side- but it only takes that look from Ani to turn her completely on her head.

10. The_Abstract

Jul 16, 2002
    Thanks for the insight PLJ.

Sorry for making the question one-sided. :(

11. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    My favorite Padme outfit is either her Senate attire or the Naboo pilot suit.
    :)

12. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Obi Can,

While I agree his actions were wrong, I do believe they were completely human responses. Soldiers are trained to be disciplined and know what is an acceptable target, and what is not. That didn't stop them from killing Vietmanese women and children, often because they had to. War is ugly. The Vietmanese were wiring their own women and children with explosives and sending them into our camps. It soon became a common thing for the military to see the normally innocent members in the Vietmanese community as just as dangerous as the adults. And they were. Many times, our military would shoot them on sight, no questions asked. It was either that, or risk having entire squadrons smeared all over the closest rice paddy. This is quite similar to what the Tusken/Human relationship is on Tatooine: an ongoing, never-ending, Cold War of meaningless violence.

As someone else mentioned here, the human population on Tatooine would probably hail him as a hero of sorts. Add to that fact, the Tuskens killed the rescue party that went to find Shmi, cut off Lars legs, tortured his mom to death, and you know what our police or military would do with that situation. They'd go in armed to the teeth and shoot the first Tusken who made an aggressive move (and of course, the whole camp would erupt in aggression), and it'd escalate from there. Now send one guy in there, by himself. Imagine how many of them would just keep coming at him, thinking he couldn't possibly defeat them all. The violence would fuel more violence. I will never understand why Lucas decided to have him kill the women and children, though, unless he was thinking back on the examples from Vietnam.

13. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    1) Meadow Gown
    2) Meadow Gown
    3) Meadow Gown
    4) Meadow Gown
    5) Meadow Gown

heh :D

14. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2002
    I will never understand why Lucas decided to have him kill the women and children, though, unless he was thinking back on the examples from Vietnam.

Undomiel & Obi-Can, I hope you don't mind if I cut in. I think GL had him kill the women and children to emphasize Anakin's state of mind at the time. What he was feeling was pure, unadulterated, BLIND rage. I don't think he was in any condition to discriminate and to pick and choose who his victims were. He was not capable of thinking logically and methodically.

I agree that what he did was 100% wrong, but it was not pre-meditated nor carefully planned. He was overcome with intense grief and anger, and thus he snapped.

Also, I'm not quite sure I would count the Tusken women as innocents. Shmi was tied up and tortured in their village, yet they did nothing to help her.

Basically, I'm in awe of how GL understands the human condition. I've been reading about 9/11 lately due to the anniversary coming up, and it made me recall all the emotions I was going through at that time, particularly what I felt when watching a news broadcast covering the reaction of some citizens of Middle Eastern countries to the attack on the WTC.

After watching the men, women, and children joyfully celebrating while watching the twin towers fall on their TV sets, I felt the kind of blind rage that we saw Anakin go through. At that moment, I wouldn't have cared if we dropped a bomb on all of them (women and children included) and totally wiped them out.

Of course, after coming back to my senses, I realized with horror how wrong I was to feel that way. I'm deeply appalled and ashamed that I ever felt that way, but at that time I just couldn't control my anger. I consider myself gentle in nature, and I abhor violence so I was very shocked that I could feel such deep ill will towards others.

15. The_Abstract

Jul 16, 2002
    5. Confession scene dress- I'm partial to native dress. It's just very simple yet there is still meaning to it. I guess I should explain I'm Catholic, so I got it the moment she walked into the room.

4.The Morning After nightgown- I really wish George hadn't been so intent on driving his marriage first/sex later point home. It would have been some fun to have a did they/didn't they debate. That being said, women in the morning are very sexy, before they go through the machinations of their day. She should have had morning hair, or did George imply she hadn't been doing much sleeping?

3. The Fireplace Gown- mmmmmmm...black leather....um, wait. Let's see....thoughts...words...sentences...Ain't nothin' wrong with a girl showin' a lil' backside. She's like a Christmas present waitin' to be unwrapped. [face_shocked]

2.Action Figure Padme- I think this is the one that caused the most lewd comments on this board. Family site, indeed. Aside from the really cold spaceship, I really like the poncho/jumpsuit getup. And I'd like to thank the Nexu for adding a little of his fashion expertise. This is the one I picture Darth Helment playing with.

"My hair! He shot my hair! **********!"

1. Rainbow Backless dress- mmm..I would call this...how would you say...The Sexy! Yes, it is very The Sexy! But tasteful. And pretty. This one's a Rainbow Sherbert Ice Cream Cone.

16. The_Abstract

Jul 16, 2002
    This is a great link I found on Google.

Realm of Royalty

I see we have allies in Cyberspace. Is anyone here responsible for this?

17. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    Undomiel,

I disagree. If anything they are inhuman responses. I can see him murdering the men, and maybe even the women (just for argument?s sake) but lets face it it had to take him 15-20 minutes (at the least) to kill all the males. By that time the rage would have dissipated somewhat. So he moves to the children, who according to PLJ are all cowering in a tent together hiding from the monster. What does the monster do, he drops a huge boulder on the tent, squashing them like bugs. I?m sorry no matter how angry you are to be able to kill the young and the defenseless just out of meanness, is unimaginable. I will admit that I see Anakin, in this matter, no better than the child abusers and murderers I see everyday, who claim I just got so angry I couldn?t help it. I know it?s fiction, but the behavior is inexcusable.

Anakin hasn?t lived on or gone near Tatooine for 10y. He hasn?t talked to his mom, written to her, or it seems even tried to keep tabs on her. He doesn?t know Lars and doesn?t seem to care too much about him one way or another. He seems to have a general disdain for all beings on Tatooine. So there?s no way he could give a cr** less about what happened to Lars are for that matter what the plight of the settlers are. He?s no hero, his actions in my mind show that he has very little respect for life except for those that hold a special place in his heart. It is really hypocritical of him to avenge her death, he should have done something before this. He has dreams about her suffering, don?t tell me she hadn?t been suffering before this. That she didn?t ache for the boy she lost, or that her slavery at Watto?s hands suddenly became bearable. Why didn?t he worry before and do something about it.

My point being that it isn?t out of his great love for his mother that he massacre?s the village. It?s out of his guilt and not just for the last week, but for the last 10years. He?s trying to appease his guilty conscious. ?See I fixed it, I did love you Mom. I loved you so much I murdered this whole village?. He?s not angry at the Tuskens he?s angry at himself for ignoring his mother for all these years. As always with Anakin, it?s out of selfishness. He never performs a single selfless act in the whole of AOTC.

I think George is making sure, that we the audience do not feel too sorry for Anakin. Perhaps Anakin is going to get big time betrayed in EP III, so he doesn?t want us to hate or blame everyone else too much. It also shows, that Anakin has already fallen for the most part. Once you cross this line, there's not much you won't do.

After watching the men, women, and children joyfully celebrating while watching the twin towers fall on their TV sets, I felt the kind of blind rage that we saw Anakin go through. At that moment, I wouldn't have cared if we dropped a bomb on all of them (women and children included) and totally wiped them out.

Slowlearner,
    Break in any time. The more the merrier.

There?s a difference between wanting to drop a bomb on someone and being able to slash them to pieces and then also be able to do this to children. I don?t think you could do this face to face. Most of us are sane beings, who no matter how angered we get have a little bit left inside that holds us back from our baser instincts. This I believe is what?s missing in Anakin. He doesn?t seem to mind pushing the envelope when it comes to ethics or morality, he is able to rationalize everyone of his bad deeds as being someone else?s fault.

18. anakin-player

anakin-player Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2002
    sorry, anakin-player. If you'd like, we can bring back in some sports discussions here. Can't care less about baseball, but how bout dem Niners? And did I mention ND is about to have a great year?

irishjedi49

Actually I'm not a big baseball fan so I also could care less about the strike. For some reason that "MLB strike" comment came into mind. The Rams are my favorite team after I gave up on the Raiders. Kurt Warner is one he** of a quarterback and he was only playing in the AFL before he got selected by the Rams. Issac Bruce is also a grear WR and the talented Marshall Faulk as the HB. Too bad they lost to the Patriots of all teams! Ok enough sports discussion to bore most of the ladies on this thread.

19. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Obi Can,

Ah, you are a tough one. There's no way to make right what Anakin does so wrong in that Tusken camp - I'm not arguing this point. I am arguing the point of how human it is. There are countless examples in history of these types of revenge crimes and some of them are for no better reason than an exchanged insult or difference of opinion [witness the Davidian fiasco in Waco]. You must admit, there are degrees of psychosis. Anakin was, what I think of as temporarily insane; a common defense used when someone murders the murderer of a loved one.

There's simply no way you can prove he didn't love his mother. lol That's hogwash. You're teasing us again, Obi. :D

20. The_Abstract

Jul 16, 2002
  21. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Abstract,

Nopers, not my site.

22. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Krash wrote:
    Anakin has been in love with Padme from the moment they met, even if at first it was "just a crush." The bond between them started early, when she knew what he was going through on the Naboo cruiser after leaving Tatooine:
    "I care for you too, only I..."
    "...miss your mother."

And Padme hears the echo of that ?little boy from Tatooine? by the graveside of Shimi: ?I miss you so much.?

Padme ignores the danger of Anakin?s walk on the Dark Side because it begins with the otherwise noble parent-child bond.

Obi-Can wrote:
    He is a murderer of innocent children. This I think is unredeemable.
    This action alone proves he's no Jedi and if he's not crazy (major issues) then this action condemns his soul.

That is the crux of the problem. The limits of redemption, forgiveness, compassion, and love. The limits that are tested when unlimited anger, hatred, and evil are unleashed.
    All I can say is this: GL would have made an excellent jury consultant for a criminal defense attorney.

Ok, onto some lighter postings.
    Undomiel, I meant that my bio posting is taken from Wesley?s dialogue in The Princess Bride:

Who am I?
    No one of consequence.
    If you must know, get used to disappointment.

Despite my declaration of anonymity, I was discussing my alma matter.

Anakin-Player, it looks like PadmeLeiaJaina is posting about baseball after all. Look at the URL for one of her photos:
    http://yodawars.com/1firstbase.jpg
    8-}

The_Abstract, good post from Pooja. Funny, it is, but very true. Listen to Pooja we will.
    Pooja, I love your informed and often funny posts, especially when the humor is self-deprecating.

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Falls

it looks like PadmeLeiaJaina is posting about baseball after all. Look at the URL for one of her photos:
    http://yodawars.com/1firstbase.jpg

You're making fun of me! :p

24. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    Undomiel,

I hope that's not what I said. Sometimes I do get carried away. I only meant that it's not for the love of his mother that he's doing this. He hasn't seen her for 10 years.
    Absense does change the nature of your feelings for a person.

I know the feelings I have for my father, who was basically absent from my life for 5 years, changed from a needful type to a melancholy lonely type. I learned not to need him, and I went for weeks without thinking of him. I missed him, but he wasn't a part of my everyday life. Believe me if someone would have hurt my father at that time, I would have been angry and sad, but I wouldn't have been enraged enough to murder a village. My feelings would have been such that I would be able to be more rational because my feelings weren't as intense due to the absense.

That's why I don't quite buy the enraged due to his intense feelings for his mother. I think it's more likely that he's enraged due to guilt over his mother.

I also firmly believe that though people may think they would do the same thing in his place, they wouldn't be able to. They probably wouldn't even be able to shoot someone let alone cut them to pieces. The only thing that pushes you that far is fear, and Anakin is not afraid.

25. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Boy, I'm off thinking for a couple of days and bam! you guys leave me pages and pages of posts to read.

Shortly, my fan-fic will be done and I will post it. Still working the bugs/seams out. Wrote for personal pleasure and family and friends, but...

I deal with the Tusken Raider slaughter in Part 3 of my story which might (or might not) have some Ep. III spoilers in it.

And for the pics of Padme and Anakin kissing, I wish it was me, too!

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.