**Official** Love Story discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Dark Helmet, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRK_HLMT Jedi Master

star 4
    Although GL gave us an excellent movie, I believe that he should have someone else write the love story part. I know that he didn't want to make it a Titanic or some other dramatic love story, but like others have said, it felt sort of rushed. Like Anakin was literally pushing himself on Padme to make her love him. I don't know if this was what GL was intending with the love story, but it felt to me like Padme was truly in love with Anakin, but she wanted to take things slow and Anakin wanted things to happen right away. But hey, I remember being a teenager in love and saying and doing really, and I mean REALLY stupid things. Chock it all up to hormones I guess and you might get why Anakin acted the way he did. This along with all the turmoil happening all at once in his life at this point.
  2. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    This is what makes sense about the love story: Padme and Anakin are complete strangers to romance. Neither of them has a clue about what they're doing. Padme is a workaholic public servant in the public eye, surrounded by alien species. Where is she going to find love? Anakin has been buddied up with an older man for however long. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that, given their age and circumstances, it would take them all of two-to-three hours to fall in love. Certainly an intimate voyage in hiding on a space freighter would do it for me.

What doesn't work often is the horrible, horrible dialogue. Despite Padme's heaving cleavage, the "fireside chat" scene succumbs to attrocious dialogue. Anakin's profession of love is the most rotten soliloquy it's ever been my displeasure to see portrayed on film.

Then the acting is hit or miss. Sometimes Natalie seems wooden and disengaged while Hayden is really on the mark. Sometimes Hayden is unconvincing while Natalie has it right.

To me it seems to come down to directing. If Lucas had the patience to let the actors work until they got the takes right, then I think they could have pulled it off.

I was also surprised when all the dialogue of Padme's response to finding out Anakin had slaughtered the Tuskens was cut out. All that's left is her comforting Anakin. This may have been a wise decision, considering the controversy that dialogue caused, but to me the dialogue, and the potential justification for it, would have made the movie more interesting.
  3. CowMoo Jedi Master

star 2
    The Jedi could not really tell the future. Even Yoda mentions that "Always in motion the future is"

Besides, Padme could have confused love for something else. Love could always be confused with pity or lust. Even her line "I have always loved you completely" when in the arena we can wonder "you sure?"

Besides, there must be some reason for Anakin to turn. He can't just wake up overnight and decide to be a Sith. There must be events that will push him to the edge but only he can decide to jump. He decided to kill all the Tuscans (obviously, he did not have to). He will later turn against Obi-Wan.

And please, let this thread not turn to a political debate.
  4. ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan

star 4
    1.) My biggest complaint about the whole romance thing was that "Bearing My Soul to Padme in Front of the Fireplace" scene. What was that all about?! It seemed to come out of nowhere (because he was so upbeat and happy the scene before). He was way too intense and she was about as expressive as cardboard. The camera hung on her face -- waiting for her to say or do something -- and nothing! It was hard to watch.

2.) The other thing I hated was them rolling around in the grass. Ugh. Could we find some more romance movie cliches?

3.) The kiss at the end of the movie needed to be A KISS -- a big one! Instead, we get a lot of little smooches. Please.

GL said this movie was a love story, but I disagree. It was a hodge-podge of political intrigue, love story and action flick. Don't get me wrong -- I think that's what it should be.
  5. Bilton Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Agreed ObiwanJane.

That fireplace scene that appeared out of nowhere was awfully cliched...bad editing too.
  6. darth daedelus Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I liked where the romance started out - Anakin infuatuated with padme, barely able to control himself around her, willing to do anything and sacrifice anything to possess her. And I liked where it ended up: dark, crashing chords scoring their wedding. The in-between bits were not so good. Anakin's part is handled well - even the clunky 'depths of my soul' stuff made sense as the expression of an adolescent unable to understand his feelings. What I didn't get was Padme - the character made no sense. There was no attempt to explain how she got from looking at Anakin as a little boy to marrying him at the end of the film - and as people have rightly said, Padme's look of horror when Anakin told her what he did to the Tuskens needed to be explored.

Also, the fire-side scene was a bit incomprehensible. I can understand why Anakin is confused. Padme's turned all the lights off and got dressed up in a dominatrix outfit. And she's the one going on about duty? Then to follow that with a close-up of Anakin moaning in bed ... everyone in my cinema laughed, which I don't believe was Lucas' intention.
  7. Boean Jedi Youngling

The love story had me groaning like a 6 year old.
    The bad love scenes:
    Arena confession
    Bearing Soul in front of the fireplace
    Grass rolling
    Picnic
    In transit to Naboo

The decent
    Packing up
    Tatooine
    The ship scenes
    Dream talk

8. Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan

star 4
    IMHO the fireplace scene came off like a bad merlot commercial. Most of Anakin and Padme's romance scenes were awkward, often forced, but they felt like two young people with ZERO experience with relationships fumbling with their own feelings. But IMHO, that fireplace scene just sank like an anchor... the dialogue was terrible, and Hayden was having an obviously difficult time delivering it. At this point that scene is quite possibly the worst of the saga for me. IMHO George needs to seriously go back and re-edit that scene for the DVD release...

9. Bilton Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Good post Daedelus.

I think Padme almost patronizes her "Ani". She feels sorry for him after the massacre incident and this is shown as she sits down next to him and nurses him.

She kinda pities him in a way, and at the same time loves him. She sees him as a tortured soul. I also got the feeling that she sees it as her role to set him straight in life.

Women! :)
  10. ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan

star 4
    darth daedelus said:

"Padme's turned all the lights off and got dressed up in a dominatrix outfit."

ROFL! How true! She's such a hussy, huh?!

:)
  11. SupraTT94 Jedi Youngling

The fireplace scene was so aweful and forced that it reminded me of the fireplace scene in Top Secret! (w/Val Kilmer).

12. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Not all the romantic scenes bomb that badly. The final kiss was not bad. Padme's profession of love at the arena was just a little too wordy for such a tense situation, but overall I enjoyed it.

The first kiss is not as bad as it could have been either. The picnic scene is the only romantic scene where Natalie's acting is at all convincing.

13. Ded-Man Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Whoa, there's another daedalus on here?

Anyway, I loved the love story.

I'm not getting all this about the dialogue being that awful. Why? Because it wasn't just "Show me some skin, b*tch"? Because it was articulate? To the people groaning and moaning, please - get over yourselves. I hope that doesn't sound too rude, but just honestly, get over yourselves.

All of it made perfect sense if you know what Lucas is doing. Just go read the Ritual and Romance editorial on this very site. This was a SW first, and it was very interesting. I know people of today couldn't possibly be further removed from the idea of "courtly love," but if this was the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, Anakin and Amidala would be right up there with Tristan and Isolde. And both of them do love each other, however this thing eventually turns out. And they loved with a love that was more than love.

As for it being rushed, while Dante fell madly in love with Beatrice at first glance, and off that one glance, remained in love with her for the rest of his life.

As for it being one-sided, well, duh, as Joseph Campbell said, "In courtly love, it's the man who goes crazy, not the woman." At least not to begin with.

I might suggest reading Andreas Capellanas "Art of Courtly Love" or at least Joseph Campbell's "Creative Mythology." Might clear some things up.
  14. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    T"hen to follow that with a close-up of Anakin moaning in bed ... everyone in my cinema laughed, which I don't believe was Lucas' intention."

Same thing when I saw it. The audience laughed. It was ill-timed and unintentionally funny. It wasn't the only place where the audience was laughing AT the movie, not with it.
  15. Ded-Man Jedi Youngling

star 2
    "So, through the eyes love attains the heart:
    For the eyes are the scouts of the heart,
    And the eyes go reconnoitering
    For what it would please the heart to possess.
    And when they are in full accord
    And firm, all three, in the one resolve,
    At that time, perfect love is born
    From what the eyes have made welcome to the heart.
    Not otherwise can love either be born or have commencement
    Then by this birth and commencement moved by inclination
    By the grace and by command
    Of these three, and from their pleasure,
    Love is born, who with fair hope
    Goes comforting her friends.
    For as all true lovers know,
    Love is perfect kindness,
    Which is born - there is no doubt - from the heart and the eyes.
    The eyes make it blossom; the heart matures it:
    Love which is the very fruit of this seed."

- Guirat de Borneilh

"Love is not only a life experience,
    But also a mystical experience.
    In courtly love, the pain of love,
    The Impossibility of fulfillment,
    Was considered the essence of life."

- Joseph Campbell
  16. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    No need for this to be so far back :).

Up.
  17. Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I liked all of the love scenes with the exception of the "Naboo fireplace" one. That was really off, I felt bad for Hayden who had to say those absurd lines! The picnic and flolick scene was was really cute. The Arena one was tear jerking. But I thought the best part was when Padme leaped onto the Reek with Anakin and kissed him on the cheek. That was so sweet and yet Star Wars at the same time.
  18. Indy2 Jedi Padawan

star 4
  19. darth_pooh Jedi Padawan

star 4
    sdj, got something to say?
  20. George15 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I dont see why some people dont buy that they could fall in love so fast.In Romeo and Juliet they fall in love in one day.So im fine with them falling in love so fast.
  21. JediTahiri83 Jedi Youngling

I for one, loved Episode II!!!!!It was so great!!! Even though I know now that I should have stuck to my willpower and not read the novelization before seeing the movie, because they edit out so much of the love story in the movie. In the movie, they leave out the whole part about Padme's sister and neice and nephew and parents (Anakin and Padme visit them). It would have added so much to the movie. Without it, the romance just seemed to happen too quickly- Hi Annie, your still a little boy, Annie, don't look at me like that, Anakin, I'll love you forever! They shouldn't have left out thoses scenes. Lucas probably did it because he didn't want to scare away all the guys who didn't want it to turn into a chick flick. I definitely noticed that all of the "guy" parts-fighting, lightsaber duels, etc. are almost exactly as they are in the book. But the Yoda scene kicked butt. The best part was when he caught the force lightning on his hand. Hayden Christiansen is so hot! So is Ewan MacGregor!
  22. KeithFranklin Jedi Youngling

star 2
    What I dont get is how they call the Han and Leia story a romance. Where was the romance. A couple of scenes. (Hallway on Hoth, Medical office, in the Falcon and boom there a couple in love)

But we allowed Lucas to let us assume it was happening in the background.

Now with AOTC we demand to see all of it onscreen and it must be flawless.

By the way in my opinin the romance scenes consist of the following.

On the transport
    On the balcony...The first kiss which was just as much Padme as Anakin so she did show interest.
    The picnic...
    The dinner and fireplace...

23. pigskanfly Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Anakin's bit in the dark room with the fireplace really struck me as a Romeo and Juliet kinda thing.
  24. Jedi_Yojimbo Jedi Youngling

the main thing i can say about the love story, is that it's not a love story! it's a story of a very troubled, emotionally unstable and angry young man's obsession with a girl. Anakin wants Padme to take his pain away. perhaps even to the point that he would use his powers to maker her love him...

"don't look at me like that... it makes me uncomfortable."
  25. sdj Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I was reading some of the posts around here and I kept asking myself a question...

Does Anakin really love Padme?

I'm thinking sort of. But in a twisted way. He is obviously obsessed with her and feels that he must have her no matter what. If he were in modern times he'd be a stalker. Everything with Anakin is about his emotions and his overwhelming passions.

Now consider this maybe it's supposed to be awkward between them in this film. Anakin is trying too hard and is scaring Padme. That's why it looks like she wants to get away from him instead of love him. Think about it. The love story really works after Shmi dies because that's when Padme starts to fall in love with him because she feels sorry for him! Now the line Padme says just before they go into the arena is a little long and corny but notice this time it doesn't "feel" so awkward and they both have sincere looks on their faces!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.