main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official** Love Story discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Dark Helmet, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkiJedi

SkiJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 1999
    Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, I didn't see it anywhere in this thread...but...

It is clear that Anakin spends time with Chancellor Palpatine, former Senator from Naboo. They appear to have already formed some sort of mentor/protege relationship.

Palp's successor (or at the least one of his successors) representing Naboo, Padme, has obviously been around the senate long enough by ATOC to have gained quite a bit of influence and popularity.

How come Anakin and Padme never had a "coincidental" meeting on Corusant?

How come Anakin never went to seek "the love of his life" when she did get to the Senate?

Did he ever discuss Padme with Palpatine? Could this be why Palpatine suggested Obi Wan as her protector? Could Palpatine have known that meeting Padme would cause the internal conflict within Anakin?

Any one else have any thoughts?

2. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    In the book it is much clearer, why she falls for him. There are
    other factors here, besides forbidden young love. If it wasn't for
    the continual life/death situations they were in I think she may not
    have fallen for him. Plus love is rarely if ever rational or logical.
    I need to look no further than my relationship with my ex for that.
    IN a weird way it was much similiar to this. She is not thinking
    clearly, women often overlook the serious red flags right in front of
    them. We can see much more than she can, because we already know (to
    some extent) what will happen to him. I think if you look at it
    without knowing what he will ultimately become and just how much pain
    she has signed on for, you have a different perspecitve also.

Padme is a caretaker, a fixer. When something is wrong, she wants nothing
    more than to make it right. She has been in pubic service for all her life, she is dedicated to "others". She has been surrounded by "Yes people" and handmaidens and so forth. But I am certain that,
    except for her family, she has had little to no experience in real personal relationships. (She was only 12 the last time she "liked' anybody).

Anakin, for all his faults, is in many ways a very confused, hurt, angry little boy in a man's body. He has abilites that are well beyond any other Jedi in many ways, but not the maturity and stabiltiy to handle them. He wants to move ahead, but Obi Wan knows he isn't ready. He loves and looks up to his "father" figure, but at the same time resents what he sees as being held back.

Put the two of them alone together in the right situation and POW!! (The sparks will fly)By the time they get to Tatooine she is already head over heals, heart and soul, in love. She is just fighting it. When she faces both their deaths, she figures she has nothing left to loose.

I doubt they can see into the future, at least not clearly. If she knew what she
    was supposed to do, she would also know what Anakin's ultimate destiny is. If I knew that about the man I love, I think I would run
    screaming in the other direction. But she is not seeing it.

By the end of the battle, they are so enamoured and wrapped up in each
    other. (remember he wanted to obey Mace's orders, but she led him to
    Geonosis. She is not totally innocent, either. She didnt' go into
    this against her will and is also making very bad choices as they are fond of calling it today) they would follow each other to a nudist colony on Hoth if asked. (well okay, maybe not that far, but you get
    the point).

Also there is something very exciting and exhilirating about forbidden fruit. He has idealized her since they day she walked into
    Watto's. (He is in love with the fantasy as much as the real her). She is thinking of herself instead of others for the first
    time, probably ever. You put it all together and we have the recipe for disaster. Even under good circumstances they would, at best, have it very difficult. Those Skywalkers are a very disfunctional family.
    (on the next Life with Lando meet the Skywalkers a very mixed up family tree spawing several generations..)

Maybe I am a sucker, but I actually felt sorry for him to some extent, though I also saw: a very fragile, emotionally disturbed young man in need of some serious help, A "father" (several times Obi Wan
    is described as being "like a father": in literary terms he is the
    surrogate father figure in Anakin's life), who doesn't see just how bad off he is, a girlfriend/wife who wants to help him, to make it
    all better to essestially "fix" him (get your mind out of the gutter people), an evil dark "false friend" who is preparing to take
    advantage of him by leading him on and feeding him what he
    wants to hear, an entire ancient Order of Jedi all depending on "the
    chosen one",( a label he's had to live under since he was 10), to bring balance to the Force(and
    save their collective hides), a mother who in his eyes could almost
    be seen as having (abandoned and replaced him )dying in his arms, and a galaxy
    bei

3. Double_Sting

Double_Sting Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2001
    I found the love story to be believable because of the fact that they were put together in a life or death situation.

People give in to their urges in such situations. You admit things you have been trying to hide. In this case Padme admitted her love for Anakin. It gives you a new perspective on life. I think it makes Padme realize that she needs to focus more on herself and what she wants other than always thinking of others and her career.

4. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Isn't the whole marriage a little rushed? I mean, seriously - they see each other for a few days or maybe a week in TPM, then another a couple of weeks, a month at most in AotC, and then they get married?! And while Anakin certainly is impatient Padmé's not the type to rush into things.

Couldn't Lucas just do a "One Year Later..." sort of thing? It'd be pretty handy in Ep. III.

D_S: But how did Padmé get these feelings for Anakin from spending so little time with him. Sure, she was with him 24/7 but there were only "going out", so to speak, for about a month (?).

5. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    That is part of the whole 'package' so to speak. We gotta move today, we may not be alive tommorrow, and if we are we dont' know what may happen. By the end of Geonosis, all logic and reason has flown out of their collective windows. People in those kind of situations often act in ways they wouldn't otherwise. How many women marry men on thier way out to war, when in peace time they would wait?. Its not unheard of for people, especially very young people to run off in to those kind of things half cocked.

6. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    I think it's entirely understandable that they got married, given their initial feelings for each other, and having survived an Arena battle and a war together.

(and anakin losing his mom & arm !)

7. MusicJock09

MusicJock09 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    Who cares if it was not believable??? The love story had this special "ring" to it that most of us would love to have. I guess I'm just a hopeless romantic...... [face_blush]

8. Senator_Jangi

Senator_Jangi Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    Why is Anakin not allowed to mary Amadala when Luke is happily allowed to mary Mara

9. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    I assume its because by then, there is No real Jedi order per se. Luke is making it up as he goes along. Translation, Flannel Man changed his mind yet again and we need to make everything fit again. If you follow the EU anyway.. but that is a whole different discussion for a different board.

10. Darth_Rojo

Darth_Rojo Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    I haven't read the novelization yet, so I'm going strictly by what was in the movie. I think GL's theory about how to write a love story went something like this:

Take two attractive young people with a childhood history,have them spend tons of time alone together on one of the most beautiful planets in the galaxy and SHAZAM! they fall in love. A workable theory, but SO MUCH missed opportunity.

We understand why Anakin is pursuing Padme: He's had a crush on her since their encounter as children. He couldn't pursue it because of his Jedi training - just like he couldn't go visit his Mom before AOTC. Jedi duty made family visits and girlfriends impossible. It's only when DUTY brings him face-to-face with Padme again that his emotions as a boy come flooding back.

What we aren't given a reason to understand is why Padme falls for Anakin, and that's too bad - because we have the perfect opportunity to set up a reason: He is her protector assigned to keep her safe from danger. How many times does Padme get attacked by an assasin and need help from danger after she's alone with Anakin? How many times does she get to see him casting all thoughts of his own safety aside to save her and her family - possibly coming to some harm himself in the process and thereby endering himself to her even more? NONE! Not once! In fact, Padme never sees Anakin wield his lightsabre in battle once in the movie (her only opportunity was in the Droid Factory and she was too busy not getting killed to observe him then). What a shame. I can just imagine the scene on NAboo where Anakin uses that incredible Jedi talent to foil an assasination attempt and rescue Padme - Maybe Anakin versus Jango Fett!!! WOW! What a scene that would have been. It's a common theme in movies for the heroine to fall in love with her sworn protector after observing him in the line of duty (anyone see The Bodyguard?).

This setup would have provided a vehicle to get Anakin to Tatooine (take the Senator to a place that HE knows and where assassins wouldn't know to look for her) and spend some quality time with his mother while she was still alive. The tusken abduction and failed rescue could have then taken place almost as filmed.

Of course, the movie would then be over 3 hours long! and who's complaining about that?

11. Padme_as_Camry

Padme_as_Camry Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Excellent comments Darth_Rojo! Some reason for Padme to fall in love is exactly what was needed, it's what I keep wanting. Maybe you can answer my question about the love scene--

I groaned through the cheesy dialogue during the movie, I walked out of the theater claiming to be unconvinced, but I have NOT been able to stop thinking about the love story since! In spite of the acting, in spite of the lines, I keep thinking about it! Am I nutso?

I'm going tonight to see it for the second time, hoping to unravel the reason for my fascination . . .

12. Darth-Ktulu

Darth-Ktulu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2002
    Ok here's my take on the Love Story.. I think Harry on AICN got it right about the love story:
    "The romance is handled in terms of familiarity and proximity. This is that sort of romance where one loves the other, but only at the point of an emotional precipice where the other could see that they shared that feeling
    and embrace it. I liked this."

..and so did I.

However, I couldn't help feeling that it was rushed. Looking back at Empire Strikes Back, one could even say that LESS time was spent with Han and Leah.
    To fix this, I feel what I have written below (form the original script and shooting + some extra stuff that could be comped in from existing footage).

The scene in question is Padme's family, although it should be HEAVILY EDITED.. here is my suggestion. Voice overs, music-only and some retooling could make this possible. The importance of this scene to be re-included would be to soften the awkward tense moment between Anakin and Padme in front of the queen requiring Anakin's authority as a "Padawan".. that too me was kind of creepy.. so here's where it should lead into...

EXT. THEED, RESIDENTIAL AREA, SIDE STREET - AFTERNOON
    PEOPLE are passing through the little street, OLD MEN are sunning themslves, WOMEN are gossipping, KIDS are playing. ANAKIN, PADME and ARTOO turn onto a side street. ANAKIN is back in his Jedi robes. PADME wear a beautiful simple dress. She stops, beaming.

PADME
    There's my house!

PADME starts forward; ANAKIN hangs back.

PADME
    (continuing)
    What? Don't say you're shy!

ANAKIN
    (untruthfully)
    No, but I...

Suddenly, there are shouts from two little girils, RYOO (age 6) and POOJA (age 4). They come running toward PADME.

RYOO & POOJA
    Aunt Padme!! Aunt Padme!!

[At this point we have a music-only scene abbreviating the parts I chopped out
    of the script of the remaining scene and trip up to the house + introductions]

[*MUSIC ONLY BEGINS*]
    PADME scoops up RYOO and POOJA and hugs them. ANAKIN and the GIRLS say hello shyly. As they see the droid, they hug him. ARTOO WHISTLES and BEEPS. PADME laughs. ANAKIN and PADME go on toward the house. The GIRLS stay and play with ARTOO.

INT. PADME'S PARENTS' HOUSE, MAIN ROOM - AFTERNOON
    SOLA, PADME'S beautiful older sister, comes in from the kitchen carrying a big bowl of food. SOLA puts the bowl down on the table, where ANAKIN, PADME and RUWEE NABERRIE (Padme's father) are coming into
    the room.
    [...*MUSIC-ONLY ENDS* Note the introductions for Sola as her sister are NOT needed which is why there were included in the musical transition]

SOLA sits, as JOBAL NABERRIE (Padme's mother) comes in with a heaped bowl of steaming food.

JOBAL
    You're just in time for dinner. I
    hope you're hungry, Anakin.

ANAKIN
    A little.

PADME
    He's being polite, Mom. We're
    starving.

RUWEE
    (grinning) You came to the right place at the
    right time. Sit down, son.

EVERYONE sits and starts passing food.

SOLA
    Well, this is exciting! Do you
    know, Anakin, you're the first
    boyfriend my sister's ever brought
    home?

PADME
    (rolls her eyes)
    Sola!! He isn't my boyfriend!
    He's a Jedi assigned by the Senate
    to protect me.

JOVAL
    A bodyguard?! Oh, Padme! They
    didn't tell us it was that serious!

PADME
    It's not, Mom, I promise.
    (glances at Jobal)
    Anyway, Anakin's a friend. I've
    known him for years. Remember
    that little boy who was with the
    Jedi during the blockade crisis?

They nod.

PADME
    (continuing)
    He grew up.

[Note: At this point the whole "only a Pada-wan" remark has been resolved and the tension has lifted.. there is also a connection back to the phantom menace reminding the audience that the brief romance in AOTC has over 10 years of history in the making]

[JOBAL and ANAKIN are now SEEN only in the back ground talking (a boring conversation that helped drag the original version of this scene too long) but the focus is shifted to...]

INT. PADME'S PARENTS' HOUSE, MAIN ROOM - AFTERNOON
    PADME, SOLA and JOBA

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    For all that the love story seemed rushed- we have to remember 2 things. Neither of these characters have ever had ANY experience w/ Dating as young adults. For Pete's sake- Jedi's are Monks- it's not like Anakin could opt to take Pickup lines 101 at the Jedi Academy.

The result is both are entirely overwhelmed and freaked out over their tumultuous feelings. Padme, who spent her whole youth as a kind of asexual public figure- doesn't have any idea what to think of Anakin's obvious passion for her. Because she's lived to hide her emotions as a public figure, she doesn't know how to really emote how she feels about Anakin.

The scene by the fire seems uncomfortable until you watch it several times -you then notice very subtle things in the acting that make it wonderful. It first appears uncomfortable for a couple reasons- Anakin is spilling his entire heart to her w/o a single shred of deceipt. Guys today generally don't do that- as that's no "Manly." Anakin doesn't know the difference, he just wants her badly (as he demonstrates over and over with his smouldering looks directed to her- he has enough moral character to know lies will get him nowhere w/her.) Padme being a politician has no idea how to react to that. You can almost see the wheels in her head turning as he advances on her, trying desperately to stay in control- watch her- she's staring at his lips- desperately wanting him to kiss her. If you watch carefully- as Anakin turns to leave the room after she tells him "I will not give into this..." before Anakin says "We could keep it a secret" Padme has this flash over her face that says "You're going away?? Come Back!"

When she says "We wouldn't be able to keep it a secret even if we wanted to..." she's nearly in tears, it's because she knows her feelings are all over her face as well as on Anakins.

The scene is uncomfortable because you can tell Padme desperately wants him but is throwing up every defense she can to end it right there- doing her DUTY- using her logic as the negotiation skills as her only weapons.

The book really goes deep into her turmoil and just a few little added lines there make all the difference. Even still- the more I watch the scenes I feel they are genuine for 2 people who've never allowed themselves to fall in love and have no idea how to act react to their feelings and emotions. The result is highly romantic.

14. Dinoforce

Dinoforce Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Darth-Rojo;

My thoughts exactly on Padme. We really don't see why she falls for Anakin so quickly. She barely remembers him from 10 years ago and thought of him only as the 'little boy I knew on Tatooine' so how does she go from there in about a week? to 'I truly, deeply love you'?

Some people have said that it is hard to not fall in love with a gorgeous guy like Anakin, and he is her protector and all, but I think that the love story would be more believable if they didn't get married right away. Couldn't they have been engaged? or just take some time to get to know each other better.

Padme seems to be as reckless as Anakin in her choices in life.

15. sabrecmc

sabrecmc Jedi Master star 1

Feb 18, 2002
    I don't think the love story was perfect or anything, but I think GL has said several times that he was harkening back to the older style of movie-making. In those movies, you didn't see people spending the whole time falling in love. There was a guy and a girl and they were cute and they were just supposed to fall in love. That's part of the accepted storyline, the common myth all societies share(Matrix anyone? I mean, really...anyone see anything b/w Trinity and Neo, but of course, they got together b/c that's what the story is and we knew it going in!).
    I don't remember too many action movies where you really see a relationship developing, but that's ok b/c you know that's what will happen. Titanic took 3 hours for crying out loud and all they did was fall in love and sink! I think there are some exceptions and it can be done better, no doubt(Braveheart comes to mind) but all in all, I don't think this was bad. As someone said, its days later and I'm still thinking of it so there must be something there.
    The novel does flesh out Padme's reasoning, the real weak link, I believe. I don't think her rationale is as hard for women, especially successful women in powerful careers, to understand as it is for some men. Just my 2 cents.

16. DarthRaptor

DarthRaptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I'm bringing up this thread again because I feel that the love story marred an otherwise excellent movie. Honestly, if the love story had been done right here, AOTC could have been the best Star Wars ever, in my opinion. But, it was screwed up so horribly, it actually almost ruined the movie for me the first time I saw it. But, with repeated viewings, I've come to realize what specifically went wrong with this aspect of AOTC.

First off, a love story isn't interesting unless it's got a unique angle to it. The unique angle here being that Anakin loves Padme, but she doesn't return his love. That comes eventually. But, the problem here is that Anakin doesn't really give her a legitimate reason to love him. I mean, he really acts creepy around Padme in this movie if you ask me. Consantly pushing her and saying weird things like how she's just like he's seen her in his dreams. I'm sorry, but weird stuff like that doesn't work. So, Anakin doesn't really do a lot to endear himself to Padme, but she falls in love anyway. It just doesn't work on so many levels.

I think if the dialog for some of those groaner romantic scenes would be reworked to be more believable and make Anakin more endearing, the love story would work MUCH better, and this movie would be as perfect as a Star Wars movie can get.

But, that, of course, is just my opinion.

17. Double_Sting

Double_Sting Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2001
    Just a thought but I think Padme already loved him at the time of the fireplace scene.

When Anakin says "tell me if you are suffering as much as I am" she says "I can't...we can't".

I believe that she already loves him at this point.

18. DruffMaul

DruffMaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 1999
    God, even Typho and Obi-Wan could see that Padme was already hot to trot for Anakin at the very beginning of the movie:

Obi-Wan: "I hope my apprentice doesn't do anything foolish."

Typho: "I'm more worried about her doing something foolish."

[Obi and Typho share a wry, knowing look]

Obi-Wan: "Wink wink, nudge-nudge, eh?! So she's a goer, eh? Say no more, say no more?!
    Know whatahmean, know whatahmean, nudge-nudge, know whatahmean, say no more?!"

19. jedi scholar

jedi scholar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 1999
    Hey here's another thought for you. I think that maybe some of you are having some difficulty with the way the scene is played out because of the slightly formalistic dialogue. Let me explain. Every time I see the love sequence, especially the fireplace scene,I am reminded of medieval courtly romance.
    One of the conventions of this genre is a melancholy young knight or hero suffering from unrequited love. This person often has disturbing dreams(see the Narrator and The Black Knight in Chaucer's Book of the Duchess). He also tells his lady fair about his pain and anguish (see Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde for a lengthy discussion of male sorrow and pain). I re-examined the relevant parts of Troilus tonight after another viewing of E2 and found that E2 does parallel Troilus, especially with some of the dialogue.

Unfortunately, this is not the sort of stuff that we moderns expect in romance. We're usually looking for "realistic" emotions and explanations of sentiment, not stilted and formalistic speech patterns. But with the SW universe, this is often what we get, and we must on some level accept that our notions of beleivability may not jive with the SW worldview and the overall patterns that Lucas is exploring.

20. TheEvilOne

TheEvilOne Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    I think part of why she would fall for him so quickly is his intensity towards her.
    For one, she has been treated as a political figure all her life. Queen Amidala, Senator Amidala, etc. Along comes Anakin who looks at her as Padme. Not as someone who can be useful to him. As a woman. And she is not prepared for that.
    Sure he is dark and creepy. And women may not like me saying so but what is one of the things that can attract women?
    A touch of danger.
    Finally, while he is a man about to become a full Jedi Knight, emotionally he is a little boy. He probably awakens a protective, nurturing instinct in her.
    To all of this add that he is a man of action. She is awakened in the middle of the night by him leaping into the room to save here from a couple of nasty critters. His mother needs him? He goes to her regardless of orders. It is forbidden for him to love her? She is more important to him than any rule, order or destiny.

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    In the book- she's already admitted to herself from their outting in the meadow that she's head over heels for him.

22. General_C-3PO

General_C-3PO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2002
    I think this scene will help to make Padme love words to Anakin in arena more beliveable.

EXT. TATOOINE, HOMESTEAD, COURTYARD (FULL MOON) -- NIGHT

Back at the homestead, the lights of the vaporators blink in the night sky. Somewhere close by, a night animal howls.

Padme is pacing the courtyard restlessly. She stops, listening to the animal howling nearby. She shivers slightly, then turns and goes into the garage at the side of the courtyard.

INT. TATOOINE, HOMESTEAD, GARAGE (FULL MOON) ? NIGHT

Padme enters the garage where Threepio sits working.

THREEPIO: Hello, Miss Padme.
    PADME: Hello, Threepio.
    THREEPIO: You can?t sleep?
    PADME: No. I have too many things on my mind, I guess.
    THREEPIO: Are you worried about your work in the Senate?
    PADME: No. I?m just concerned about Anakin. I said things?I?m afraid I may have hurt him. I don?t know. Maybe I only hurt myself. For the first time in my life, I?m confused.
    THREEPIO: I?m not sure it will make you feel any better, Miss Padme, but I don?t think there?s been a time in my life when I haven?t been confused.
    PADME: I want him to know I care about him. I do care about him.
    THREEPIO: Don?t worry about Master Ani. He can take care of himself. Even in this awful place.

23. DarthRaptor

DarthRaptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Well, there's another deleted scene that would have helped clear things up. You all make valid points about why she might be attracted to Anakin. It just seems weird when you see the movie. I mean, if I went around treating a girl like Anakin did, I doubt I would get anywhere. But, I guess this IS a fantasy story, huh?

On another topic, why didn't Padme want Anakin to know she loved him?

DR

24. General_C-3PO

General_C-3PO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2002
    I think love story wass written very well in script.Problem is that Lucas cut some in my opinion important stuff.Here iss my viewv on love story.

-First scene when they meet iss very well done.You can see that Anakin is obssesed with her completly.
    -Then Anakin saves her life.Nice touch.
    -Then that scene where Anakin whines how Obi an thinks he unpredictable.It is good scene becaus she notice there for the first time that he is chaged and that he has some feeling for her.
    -Than freighter scene.Great scene.Hayden acting is superb there .It is nice to see how he is turning jedi code around so he can tell her that he is allow to love.Also when he sayss you are exactly the ay I remember you in my dreams.You can clearly ssee that she is well aware that he wants her badly.
    -Than throne room scene.That scene just further the plot.
    -Than first kiss scene.I was very afraid of that scene but actually I think that scene worked very well.Both Hayden and Natalie acting was good.And also George direction was good.You can clearly see that she had time to decide whether she wants to kiss him or not.Anakin line about the sand is very nice also.
    -Than picnic scene.I think that scene didn't work completly.They shouldn't cut the part where they both ride Shaak .The Shaak crosses in front of Padme. Anakin is now riding it, facing the Shaak?s tail. The Shaak bucks, and Anakin falls off. Padme laughs even harder. Anakin lies still, face down in the grass.
    Padme?s smile fades.

PADME: Ani ? ANI!! Are you all right?

She jumps up and runs to where Anakin is lying and turns him over. He is pulling a stupid face at her. She yelps in mock fury and takes a swing at him. He catches her arm. She struggles. They roll over in the grass. Suddenly, they become aware of the contact between them. They let go of each other quickly and sit up, looking away.

Anakin stands up and holds out his hand to her. She takes it. He pulls her up. And now they are easy together, not self-conscious any more. Padme scrambles up onto the Shaak behind Anakin. She puts her arms around his waist and leans against his back. Anakin digs his heels in. The Shaak starts forward, and they ride away.

That last part where she puts her arms around her waist is great.If this was directed corectly that audience will have feeling that she had choice and she choose to put her arms around him.That says that she has feelings for him.Also part wherre they ride away can be very beautiful and make ilusion in audience that those two are in love.
    -Than apple scene.Very short but cool.You can see how much he wants her.How much he is happy like a little boy because he impress her.Also you can see that she feels good in his company.
    -Than fireplace scene.I think it is good the way it is.
    -Nightmare scene is also fine.
    -Tatooine part:I like alot expression on Padme face when Clieg was telling Anakin about his mother.You can clearly see that she has alot of feeling for him.
    -Also that part when sshe walks out and when we see their shadows huggingg and she says "Anakin " and hugs him.The way she said it,the music and also Lucas great direction in that scene really made me believe that she loves him alot.
    -I think that one morescene on Tatooine where you can see Padme worrying about Anakin would help alot there.

Back at the homestead, the lights of the vaporators blink in the night sky. Somewhere close by, a night animal howls.

Padme is pacing the courtyard restlessly. She stops, listening to the animal howling nearby. She shivers slightly, then turns and goes into the garage at the side of the courtyard.

INT. TATOOINE, HOMESTEAD, GARAGE (FULL MOON) ? NIGHT

Padme enters the garage where Threepio sits working.

THREEPIO: Hello, Miss Padme.
    PADME: Hello, Threepio.
    THREEPIO: You can?t sleep?
    PADME: No. I have too many things on my mind, I guess.
    THREEPIO: Are you worried about your work in the Senate?
    PADME: No. I

25. GS335

GS335 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2001
    Anakin's lines to Padme are suppose to be creepy and EXTREMELY corny. It shows that Anakin does not have very much experience with girls he likes. He is trying very hard to please Padme, but is failing miserably.

Anakin is also very honest and very passionate. Sure the boy is very naive and immature, but he is also idealistic, and that is what Padme likes about him. The books goes into this perfectly. He knows that he has a duty as a Jedi, but his feelings for Padme are very intense, and that is something he can't shake. His confession to her on Naboo proved that. The novelization states that Padme was really touched by his honesty and passion, but knows that they can't get involved with each other, because of their respective careers.

Notice that when Padme told him that they should not be touching this dangerous territory, he backs off, even though he really wants to have a relationship with her. Anakin is trying to hard to please Padme, it is not even funny. Matter of fact, Anakin tries to please too much, and that is the reason why it makes him look like a moron, like the time when Obi Wan and Anakin were talking about their mandate. Anakin was so focus on what Padme wanted, that he did not show Obi Wan the respect he disserved, and follow his lead.

Basically, Anakin is a lovesick kid, who is willing to please Padme, but comes off as very corny. Its the little kid in him, and while Padme may not agree with that, it is refreshing to her. She sees the vulnerability in Anakin, as well as his passion, and his willingness to please and try to do the right thing, despite him acting childish and sounding corny with his lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.