main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***OFFICIAL*** Milwookiee Book Club Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Jedi_Bane, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Bane

Jedi_Bane Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    I know I had heard something about getting together a SW book club at one point, but I haven't seen anything about it for a long time. So I'm just throwing the idea back out here to get an idea of the level of interest. I was thinking of something like having a book of the month that we could get together to "discuss" at the end of each month. Just post with any other ideas you have if you're interested in somthing like this...

2. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I'm just starting Balance Point...MAN! Am I behind. I have to get cracking!!

3. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Good idea, Ben. We could start, for now w/either Traitor(last out) or pick out one of the older books to refresh our memories. I'd at this point, say to do Traitor since Destiny's Way is to be out at the end of this month I believe.(Correct me if I'm wrong on that.) I wouldn't mind holding a book club meet here. Or we could meet at a coffee shop or something. There are a couple that have couches and comfy seats around here. Just a suggestion. Has anyone read Traitor yet? I finished it a couple of weeks ago. Pretty good.

4. Jedi_Bane

Apr 30, 2002
    Traitor?? Is that in the NJO?? Cuz I haven't even started any of the NJO, I'm still catching up on all the older books... but it isn't a big deal to me which book we start with since I plan on buying all of them eventually.

5. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Yea, its book 13 in the NJO. I was really behind, but managed to get caught up by Star by Star(book 9) and have managed to stay on top of them. actually, at the moment, I'm almost ahead since Traitor was supposedly released only a few days ago(although I think it was released before then) and I finished it about 2wks ago. Got it round the 20th or so because I read a book for review and got it sent to me free. Great way to get books!!

6. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    where shall we start!! i want to be in a book club!! i have most of the star wars book and those i don't have i can get!!thank ghods for walden!! just give me the time and place and i'll bring my books!! yeah!!

7. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    Haven't even gotten Traitor yet, but it should be in any day now, hopefully. I always use my mighty library privilage to get them reserved for me before they come out. I tried it with the Lord of the Rings DVD but I'm 147 out of 147 people waiting for it. Sigh.

Anway, I'm up for the book club.

8. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Me too. I'm a slow reader, though. I've been working on the TPM novel for the 3+ years it's been out. Please don't tell me how it ends! :eek:

9. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    If there is anyone who wants a couple of the NJO books, I have some that were donated by Bwing(I believe). Off hand, I'm not sure which ones they are. I'll check later and post. We could set a tentative date in Sept. to get together for a discussion group.

10. Jedi_Knight_Isadore

Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    I would love to join a book club, but the only problem is that I haven't read any of the book that take place after the OT. It would take a lot for me to catch up. Wait, *light goes on* more books to buy and read, hehehe.
    Devan

11. tello999

tello999 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    A book club idea would be really cool. I've read all of the books except Traitor (i have it, just havent started it yet).

12. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    I'm with you Tello. I, too, read another book and reviewed it to get Traitor free. I started rereading the X-wing series and refuse to start Traitor until I am done. My two cents are that we start with one of the older books or a prequel book and work our way up to the NJO. It would depend on who is involved. If we are all about equal, scrub that. For those who only have dealt with the OT, we could do Shadows of the Empire or, God forbid, Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Shadows could get a lot of discussion in light of Ep II and III discussions. Name a time or place, I'm there. Weekends or early in the week are best for me.

13. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Why not start with the Zahn Trilogy? I mean those are the books that started the resurgence of SW fiction anyway.

Marcy

14. EMERALD_GREENE

EMERALD_GREENE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    If you guys need any help don't be afraid to ask. We have a blast at our book club meetings, & sometimes even talk about the book! Seriously though, you should think about it. You could also use it as a means of recruiting members as well. Whatever you decide, have a great time! MTFBWY!

15. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    How bout we get a date set to meet and make plans as to how we want to about our meetings. Like where we want to start, how often we want to meet, etc. It might be easier to just get together and have everyone interested throw out their ideas for the book club in person so we can get something set and start reading.
    I vote for Sat. Sept.21 around 1.
    Anyone else?

16. Jedi_Bane

Apr 30, 2002
    sure, sounds good...

17. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    As of now, that is great for me but I can't confirm until I get the soccer schedule on the 26th of August. Either way, count me in.

18. mirrax

mirrax Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    I'm not sure about that date yet, but I'll try my best. I could see starting with some of the older books in the series although it's been quite awhile since I've read them.

19. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    That is fine, Michele, because then those who have not read them before are not at a disadvantage. I always find that when I reread the books, I discover something new.

20. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    I will be back at school :_| by then. I can't guarantee if I'll be able to make it, but I'll try.

21. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Bumping up so this isn't forgot, Sat. Sept. 21 at 1pm, destination: unknown at the moment; first book club meeting to figure out where we want to start, etc.

(Edit): For anyone else interested, please post if you think you are able to make it. Thanks.

22. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    Sounds great to me. We just need a neutral place where people don't care if we sit for a while and embarrass ourselves. Any ideas?

23. Rogue_Eleven

Rogue_Eleven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2002
    I'm interested, a book club is probably a good way to get into the books, as I've only read the Zahn Trilogy and I, Jedi. (All of which I enjoyed very much.)

I'll be in town that weekend for sure because my roommate and I are going to see Sir Paul that night, but I'll have to see if she doesn't mind coming with me to the meeting. (I just don't want to leave her sitting at my house with my family. :) )

I like the coffee shop idea, but I'm not that familiar with the downtown area and don't know what's there for coffee shops/cafe type places.

24. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    You're going to see PAUL?!?! I am SOOOOO jealous. I saw him play the Queen's Jubilee when I was in London, but I would love to see him do a full show. LUCKY!

25. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    i might be able to come i hope i can.. that is if something else doesn't come up that i have to go to... never know.... i have most of the books... and will lend out all but the han solo trilogy i will update on my ability to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.