main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***OFFICIAL*** Milwookiee Book Club Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Jedi_Bane, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    NEXT BOOK CLUB MEETING
    When: Saturday, August 27 at 1PM
    Where: The Usual Place (Leslie's)
    What: Reading The Bacta War and any fan fic we want to share with the group.

We'll also talk about Wizard World and GenCon since those conventions will have been before the meeting.

2. Darth_Luinel_Kun

Darth_Luinel_Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    When is GenCon this year? By the way I've been trying to find tha Bacta War But I've been out of luck. I'm reading the first book in The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime. Hope to make the next meeting.

3. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    This year GenCon is August 18-21 in Indianapolis.

4. Darth_Luinel_Kun

May 28, 2005
    Oh, I thought it was in November. So, is about everyone going?

5. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    No, only a few of us go to that and I think the ones that are going will only be there for part of the time. The convention in November is called Filmcon and is run by one of our members, Eric Larson. This one I can recommend and might even take one of my children with me this time.

6. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    I'm hitting Wizard World this Saturday then GenCon two weeks later...and, of course, Filmcon in November. See that thread (Filmcon) for more information and the website should be up and running by this weekend.

7. Darth_Luinel_Kun

May 28, 2005
    I'm mostly going to be at Gen-Con all for most of the 4 days.

8. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    I'm going to GenCon just for that Saturday (yeah, I know, long drive but can't afford a hotel right now). I will probably be in my Viqi Shesh costume (thinking of entering the costume contest).

And at Wizard World this Saturday I WILL be in the Viqi costume as a new member of the 501st.

9. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Just a reminder:

NEXT BOOK CLUB MEETING

We'll also talk about Wizard World and GenCon since those conventions will have been before the meeting.

And talk about going to that Chicagoland Entertainment Collector's Expo that Sara has mentioned in another thread. I'm willing to go to it but I can only go on Saturday 9/17. We should support this Expo since he's bringing in a decent number of SW actors.

10. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Just a reminder:

NEXT BOOK CLUB MEETING

I will have my pictures from Wizard World and GenCon. We have lots to talk about, non-book related, like WW, GenCon and the Collector's Expo and Filmcon. And costumes. And politics. And movies. And... ;)

11. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Bumpity bump bump...

Just a reminder:

NEXT BOOK CLUB MEETING

I will have my pictures from Wizard World and GenCon. We have lots to talk about, non-book related, like WW, GenCon and the Collector's Expo and Filmcon. And costumes. And politics. And movies. And...whatever comes up!!!

12. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Small turnout but we had a great time nontheless.

Looking at the calendar would Sunday, September 25 work for everyone or push it off until the end of October? Let me know.

13. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    I think that it would work for me. Saturdays are a nightmare for the next two months.

14. Blackadder1

Blackadder1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    What time on that Sunday would it be? I'd like to come because I love books (and some fanfic) but frequently have to work until 3pm.

15. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Our meetings are scheduled to start at 1PM but,depending who's arrived etc, sometimes we don't officially sit down until 2PM. However, the meetings usually last until 7PM or thereabouts. So arriving after 3PM would still get you there with hours to go. PM me for directions.

Anyways, so everyone can mark their calendars:

NEXT BOOK CLUB/COSTUME MEETING
    When: Sunday, September 25 1PM
    Where: Leslie's Place
    What: Reading The Bacta War and any fan fic. Also talking about costuming, FilmCon, Chicagoland Entertainment Collector's Expo, politics, whatever...

16. Blackadder1

Blackadder1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks. It looks like I don't have to work *yet*. When it gets closer I'm PM yah and dig out my copy of Bacta War.

17. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Bumpity bump bump

NEXT BOOK CLUB MEETING
    When: This Sunday, September 25, 1PM
    Where" Leslie's Place
    What: The Bacta War and whatever else we want to talk about.

18. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Well, once again, the meeting wove a zigzag of every topic you can think of! From costuming to discussing the most obscure EU Sith character to fan fiction to Eric doing SW karioke (is that how it's spelled?) to the idea of doing Star Wars MST3K to conventions and which ones were good and bad so far this year. Whew!

We also had some new guests: Lesley, Beth and Joe. Lesley and Beth are FF members. Thanks to Beth for bringing her costumes to show!!! Joe has applied for membership in the 501st (as Grand Admiral Thrawn and brought his costume as well). I invited him to the meeting to get to know more Star Wars fans in the area. And Eric, our resident comic and Palpatine impersonator, came as well and kept us in stitches most of the time!!

At FilmCon, Joan, Sara and I will be the panelists discussing the Star Wars Expanded Universe Books etc (I started re-reading the first Wraith Squadron book last night as part of my assignment to brush up on the older EU books and remembered how much I love the whole Rogue Squadron series!). Also, Beret, Joan and I will also be doing a panel on SW Fan Fiction. Beret and Nancy will be doing the panels on Star Wars costuming. And, of course, I am half the team teaching the 2 lightsaber classes (10 slots are filled already so there are 10 still open).

Anyways, start thinking about dates for the next meeting. We have a choice of the following Saturdays or Sundays: October 15/16 or 22/23. Let me know which day works best for all of you asap so I can post it and get it on my quickly filling up calendar! I am leaning towards Sunday October 23.

19. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    How would the 16th be for the next meeting?

The reason I'm asking is that Jeffrey and Michelle (who some of us met at CECExpo) would like to come to the next meeting but only the 16th is good for them (since Jeffrey works 2 Sundays every month). Jeffrey is a stormtrooper in the 501st and they live in Waukesha. Michelle is interested in having Beret make her a Leia costume. This would be a great opportunity to see them again and for others to meet them at the same time.

20. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    I can't make it that day because we are having an 80th birthday party for my father. Go ahead though if that is the day most can make it.

21. JediRacer8

JediRacer8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2004
    I'm pretty sure the 16th is clear for us. Dates we couldn't come would be the 22nd and 29th.

22. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    NEXT BOOK/COSTUMING/SOCIAL CLUB MEETING
    When: Sunday, October 16, 1PM
    Where: Leslie's Place
    What: The Bacta War (reading it aloud to the group if we get to it!!!), any fan fiction you have written and talking more about what some of us will be discussing on the panels for FilmCon.

23. JediRacer8

JediRacer8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2004
    For the panel: I'm reading The Unseen Queen right now, which should be the last EU novel released before Filmcon. After that my plan is to review the character guides and skim through some of the books my memory is a little hazy on, rather than re-read any complete books. Are we including EU comics?

24. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    What's Unseen Queen? I've not heard of that one! Sorry I missed another meeting. THings have been quite busy round here. I'll try to make the next one if I can. Depends on if Ja is home or not that weekend.

25. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    The panel should include all EU books and comics as far as I'm concerned. However, I myself do not keep up with the DHC because there are too many of them and I find reading comic books difficult so I only pick up the trade paperback version of a series if it's something I have an interest in (for instance, anything to do with Boba Fett, the backstory of Jango or the Sith Wars etc).

I also think we need to talk about how much the film ROTS lacked in comparison to the book (even though the book was poorly written). I will probably mention during the panel that Matthew Stover is, imo, currently the worse author in the SW universe (he's nudged out a few others for first place now). ROTS was so badly written and Traitor, imo, is probably the worse book in the NJO, maybe even the entire EU.

I'm skimming/reading Wraith Squadron right now and since this is a re-read it's going very quickly. I plan to skim/read the other 2 in the series before FilmCon and will also brush up on the Character Guide as well as see if I can find a synopsis of all the books online somewhere.

And, yes, what is The Unseen Queen? Is it only in hardcover?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.