main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***OFFICIAL*** Milwookiee Book Club Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Jedi_Bane, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    I probably cannot make it unless a miracle happens and some old person wants to trade and work until 10pm for me on Saturday. Not likely.

2. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Gotta work too. Maybe be able to make it after...but not likely.
    :(

3. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    I finished The Joiner King (on the flights to and from San Jose CA for a business trip) and just started The Unseen Queen. I will say, however, that I am not happy so far with this series. In TJK I found most of it rather ridiculous and found myself rolling my eyes when Jaina and Zekk rubbed forearms and made clicking sounds in their throats at the end of the book. What a bunch of bantha poodoo, imo.

Anyways, Joan, I hope you can find someone to switch with and, Trace, if you want to call after you get off of work to see what's going on, do so... One of the reasons we set this meeting for a Saturday instead of Sunday was so we could go later in the evening without having to think of getting home because of work on Monday.

4. Blackadder1

Blackadder1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Will be a wee bit late to the Saturday meeting as I have a continuing education conference in Milwaukee for the morning and part of the afternoon.

5. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Lesley, I hope you don't arrive too late and miss either MST3K or the Holiday Special (I think I'll show the SWHS later so our whole day isn't spoiled). ;)

See everyone this afternoon!

6. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Hi everyone!

I have to study for my Shakespeare and art history exams today so I am not going to make it to the meeting this month. I have tons and tons of Shakespeare to talk about though but it will have to wait until next time.

7. Blackadder1

Blackadder1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Aw. I have the Holiday Special (unfortunately) so I've seen it before. The conference lasted until 6:30! My butt was sore from sitting so long. Sorry for missing the meeting :(

8. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Too bad you missed the meeting, Lesley, but at least you were spared the pain of watching MST3K's Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and the SWHS (at least you wouldn't have been a HS virgin like Jeff and Michelle both were!). However, the best part was some of us got pictures sitting on a festive stormtrooper's knee (Jeff)!

NEXT MEETING
    When: Saturday, January 28
    Where: Leslie's Place
    What: Not sure. Maybe talk about the Dark Nest Books since I'll have the second one finished by then. Also, Beret would like to get back to writing some short fan fiction by setting a topic or scenario. I have some ideas for a couple action-oriented stories.

What would others like to do??? Or are you fine with these meetings being the way they have been for most of this year, meaning more of a social gathering where we do talk Star Wars (books, costuming etc) but other topics as well? It seems that most of us are not reading the same books at the same time anymore.

9. JediRacer8

JediRacer8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2004
    We can discuss how boring The Swarm War was.

I won't write anything myself, but I would love to hear any fanfics the rest of you write.

10. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    I finally started the Joiner King and that one in and of itself is rather boring so far... does it get worse?

11. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Reading that now too. I think, if anyone is willing, I'd rather borrow the next two books after or see if the local library has them, which I doubt, but I'll see. 'Bout the only thing "exciting" is Luke's discovery. I'm waiting to see if he learns more or not. Kinda disappointed in Denning, I must admit. Oh yea, think I'll be able to make the next meeting, finally!

12. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    I take it back it's not all bad, it gets better in the 200s. By the way I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this but I'm seeing way too many things similar to Star Trek and The Matrix.

13. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    NM. I take back most of my previous post. I just finished the Joiner King... Now I know what you guys really meant the last time I was with you. Leia is going to train to be a JEDI!? I'm sorry but am I only one who thinks that she should not have place in the Order? Luke is the Jedi, she is the politician. It works well that way. She leads the government and Luke takes out the bad guys. Couldn't be simpler.

14. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Well, she did, in the beginning of it all, as a rebel leader take out the bad guys too. Just not quite the biggest of the baddies.

15. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    If you thought the Joiner King was bad...just wait till you get to the last one. I just finished the Swarm Wars. This last one by Troy Denning takes suckiness to a whole new level. Oh and the (painful)dialog --Luke says "now you are really pissing me off." Does that sound like Luke, a Jedi Master would say??? Don't waste your money. If you must read it, borrow it from your local library.

16. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    That entire book was painful.

I hate how they now have the Jedi using their anger, but it's not "dark". That's the core of what Star Wars has always been about.

17. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Yea, that whole new, "its all the same"(summerized basically) nonsense, is just so retarded! Its like, anything goes, so long as its for a greater good. Its crap as far as I'm concerned. I hope the next whatever(book, series, etc.) has the "Masters" realizing a wrongness or falseness to this new theory to the force and reverting to a difference between the light and dark side of it all.

18. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    That is so true... and it's making me have second thoughts about reading the latest books *shudders*. At the end of the Unifying Force they say that they're going to be taking a new view of the Force. This new view if I remember correctly, is called the Unifying Force which the Master's of the Old Jedi Order focused on already without giving into hate. This series is just off to a depressing start and I think I will cry if it gets worse.(Though I do like that Jacen and Tenel Ka are back together...kinda)

Joe Hella

19. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    I'm half way through The Unseen Queen and what a load of merde! First, Tenel Ka "delaying" her pregnancy by using the Force is so hokey that I think I'm going to barf. Leia training to be a Jedi is laughable. The whole Killik/Dark Nest thing is boring. And R2 and the hidden files is ridiculous. Now, I will say what Jacen did to Ben in Chap 4 did not upset me as much as other people because I completely understood why he did it - didn't make it right for Jacen to do it but, under the circumstances... Though maybe he could have just given Ben the Force sleep suggestion only. Hmmm...

So, my dilemma is this... I am getting really tired with mediocre SW books that I'm beginning to think of not reading any more (I can spend my money on better things, including better books). Maybe the Outbound Project book by Zahn since I love his writing and the Darth Vader one but that's it. I think it's time to read the new Honor Harrington and the spin-off Saganami Island series - and maybe go back to some classic scifi like the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Anyways, see everyone on the 28th! Tracy, I hope you can make it because we've not seen you for months!

Oh, that reminds me...the 29th is Chinese New Year. Ideas? Maybe place an order with my local Chinese restaurant and one of us go pick it up??

And Eric will be coming as well... That should really liven up the party!!!

20. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Eric's coming...bring out the dvd karaoke :) I got the Oddcon brochure in the mail yesterday and I see Eric is on the bill to host a Filmcon panel. I have also decided to enter the art show this time so I may bring some stuff to our next meeting to get some opinions on what to submit.

Chinese sounds great too.

21. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    Oh, don't give up on the Star Wars books yet....just cause this series sucks. Dark Lord was a good read. It tied up a lot of loose ends. I agree with you, Zahn is awesome! I can't wait for Outbound Flight.

22. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    I'm not giving up on it. It's just that while Troy Denning did a good job in Star by Star, he just doesn't have what it takes to come up with a new series, much less a trilogy.

23. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Yup, Eric is coming. And, yes, he is doing a track or two at OddCon but not sure yet what the panels will be - he mentioned some ideas to me on the phone last night but not sure if they're for OddCon or for Filmcon7.

So I shouldn't give up on the SW books yet? Hmmm... I'm just very disappointed with the majority of books in the past, oh, 3 years so I feel that I have and am wasting my money. I'm definitrely not enjoying The Unseen Queen as I already mentioned.

Sara, yes, please bring your artwork to the meeting! I don't remember you ever mentioning you were an artist.

24. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Would anyone be willing to lend me their Unseen Queen book? I guess I'm one those that once I start a series I gotta finish it, unless it really, really, really sucks. If it has some points of interest that hold my attention, then I gotta just read em through. And while the "Bug series" isn't that great so far, there are a few bits I'm curious about, so, yea. Anyway, guess I just gotta read it.

25. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Well, you can borrow mine as long as you remember who to return it to later. I was going through my SW library and found 3 books are missing!!! And I don't remember loaning them out and I know my cats don't read them so... Hmmmm...

I finished The Unseen Queen last week. No comment other than to say what a waste of money and time.

Okay, here's a reminder:

NEXT BOOK CLUB/SOCIAL MEETING
    When: This Saturday, January 28, 1PM
    Where: My place as usual
    What: We will certainly talk about the Dark Nest books...

Also, since Sunday is Chinese New Year's as previously mentioned I will be suggesting we order take-out from my local Chinese restaurant. However, there will be the usual spread so if no one wants to order Chinese that's okay, too.

See you Saturday!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.