main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***OFFICIAL*** Milwookiee Book Club Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Jedi_Bane, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    You'll be missed, Megan. Have fun back at school.

2. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Hey Tello--

I'm with Marajoan on this one. I finished Traitor yesterday and I spent half the time paying very close attention to dialogue to try and figure out which quote is your favorite. I have three or four in mind, but perhaps you can pm us to clear it up. Its sorta driving me crazy!

3. mirrax

mirrax Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    I'm not sure if I can make this meeting - drat, and it's only 10 minutes from my house. My son started tackle football (and I can just feel the gray hair popping out!) and he has a home game on that day at 1:30. How long will this little shindig last? Maybe I can scoot over after the game.

4. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    Tracey, I should know better than to try those Jedi mind tricks on a strong mind but I just had to try.... As to which kind....chocolate, 100% chocolate, all the way! :D

Mirrax, you ask what time will the meeting end? Good question...I don't know. I suppose it will depend on what we all talk about and whether or not we are having a great time. You could call when your son's game is over and see if we are still going strong...PM me for my phone number.

5. Com_Link_Jammin

Com_Link_Jammin Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2002
    Has anyone ever ordered an ebook via the internet?. I see on the TheForce.net Daily dose site they show a new Star Wars ebook that you can order. If so do you prefer the Adobe or Mircosoft reader programs?.

6. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Cool!! - Chocolate it is!! :D
    Oh yea, and some good book discussion too!!

7. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Hey all bookworms!

My thoughts on this first meeting are to discuss the whole range of SW books, fiction and nonfiction (but mostly fiction), then decide on what book (novel) to pick for our first one to read and discuss at our next meeting.

We will also need to discuss how long between meetings, ie do we want to have an interim meeting to discuss the book, say, when people are halfway through it? Or only when everyone is finished reading it? I am a very fast reader and Bruce is very slow so maybe the interim meeting is not a good idea....but we can talk about that at the first meeting.

Also, there are some who have written, or want to write, SW fiction etc so how about sharing it with the club??? This is a good way to have your story and writing critiqued if you want - some of us can also help with spelling and grammar as well as writing great action scenes etc. I personally think I should have been an editor instead of a credit manager because I am extremely anal when it comes to spelling and grammar...if I make a mistake, it's a day to remember and I get really, really embarassed when I find a mistake in my own writing. There are some of you out there who are now going to go over this message trying to find an error! :)

These are just ideas bouncing around in my head and everyone is welcome to pipe in here or at the first meeting in 3 weeks.

Also, personally, I wouldn't mind offering our house for every meeting if people are agreeable to that. This way the book club has a permanent home and those who attend the meetings on a regular basis will be able to put their cars on auto pilot! :)

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes." Erasmus

8. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    I have on problem with that and I have the farthest to drive unless we pick at the one person from Green Bay who was interested in books. Since I have no idea where I am going in Milwaukee, going to the same place is great with me. I have no problem sharing my writing if it is understood that I do it for my own enjoyment to cover things that were not covered in the books and that it is rather amateurish to a true writer. Leslie, give me an idea of what I can contribute to the treats for the meeting.

9. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    Ah, drat. I've got an overnight choral retreat the 21st and 22nd. :(

10. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    Leslie,
    If we get our new apt. I'd be willing to split the responsiblity of hosting the book club. I'll be more or less in the same area as before, just not the same house. If we have two locations, we could alternate the meetings and everyone would get familiar with those two places. Just an idea as its probably about equal distance out to your place and mine(except for Michelle since she lives in the same town as you!!) I'll keep you posted on when we're moving. Hopefully in two weeks. Let me know if this is ok or if you'd rather host all the time.

11. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Joan, how about bringing chips and dip? However, if there is something you would prefer to bring, just let me know.

Tracey, sharing between our places would be fine with me. We can talk more about this at the meeting. Apartments sometimes can be small depending on how many people we may end up with at these meetings....if we have a small group, that's one thing but, if we end up with a large group, it could be cramped. We have a large living room with 2 couches, several comfy chairs etc. However, until we have a meeting or two we won't really know how many people we might have on a regular basis...but, I certainly wouldn't mind alternating between our places - makes it easier on me because then I don't have to make sure the place has been dusted and vacuumed before each meeting.

Also, for those who write, there's lots of good (and bad) fan ficiton out there. I'm a betareader for Tfn's Fan Fiction so see both kinds and am still waiting to hear if my story (novel-length) has been accepted. So, please, whether you write it for yourself or for other people's enjoyment, bring it along.

Remember, PM me for directions and MTFBWY!

When I have a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes. Erasmus

12. mirrax

mirrax Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    I love the idea of having it at Leslie and Bruce's place of course since it's so close for me, but I'm always willing to take a drive! As Leslie said, let's see how many people show up and discuss it. Also, I could bring something even tho I'll be showing up later. How about a dessert type thing? Let me know.

13. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Michele, any dessert is always good! :) Don't know yet how many are actually coming (have 3 confirmed so far....you, Tracey and Joan). Have talked to a few people I know who are not members but what better way to introduce them to the WFF/MC, right?

20 days and counting.....

Remember, if you need directions or have questions, please PM me!

14. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I am planning on coming, but I have an open house I need to go to at 7 PM or soon after.

Leslie and/or Bruce, please PM me directions to your base of operations. I will be coming from the East on I-94, riding on a Steed of Doom.

15. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    REMINDER

What: 1st Book Club Meeting
    When: Saturday, September 21, 1PM
    Where: CaptMereel's Quarters

Please PM me for directions and tell me where you will be coming from.

It's just over 2 weeks away!

16. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I'm sorry. By "open house" I mean "Paul McCartney concert," and by "7 PM" I mean "8 PM." I apologize for the confusion.

17. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I'm Yoda green with envy, Tom. I would love to see Sir Paul. I *did* get to see him in Hyde Park for the Queen's Jubilee though. :)

18. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    I am soooo far behind in the SW books that it will take a thousand lightyears to get me to the newest books. I think the last book I read was around three years ago before I got married and the last book I read was that Luke still liked Callista. I still don't have a clue about how Mara Jade & Luke hooked up. I probably would not offer much of a discussion if I went on the 21 of Sept.

19. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I don't have a clue about what goes on in the EU books either. I'm just going for the opportunity to observe and hang out with friends. Please don't feel discouraged from joining us as well. :)

20. jedisister

Dec 1, 2001
    If you are interested at all Laura, please come. We are probably going to have two groups, one reading a specific, agreed upon by everyone book that we will read and discuss and one for those of us who are also reading the NJO(New Jedi Order). So even if you haven't read for awhile but think you'd be interested in starting again, please come to the meet. This first one we are just going to start figuring things out, like what book we want to read, how often we want to meet, etc. It'd give you a chance to meet some of us too. :)
    Also, if you like writing and have any ideas or writings of Fan fic, you can bring or discuss that.

21. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Jedisister- I guess I can come to see what it is all about. Where is it, when is it, and should I bring something?

22. que4zone

que4zone Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
  23. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    Welcome back Que.. \

Anyone remotely interested should come. It is a good time with the gang and you might have a lot to contribute. You never know.

24. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    ANOTHER REMINDER

It's only a week away and I have 6 confirmed coming and several maybes. If you are not totally into reading the books etc just come and have a good time anyways with other SW fans! You never know, you might catch the reading bug! :)

Remember:
    When: Saturday Sepember 21 at 1PM
    Where: CaptMereel's Quarters

PM me for directions and tell me where you are coming from.

25. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.