main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***OFFICIAL*** Milwookiee Book Club Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Jedi_Bane, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    I was thining about going to see it, but I wasn't overly impressed from the previews I've seen of it. From what I've seen it looks like some kind of Russian lunatic warlord who has a big social problem and a the dude from phantom of the opera came back to life with a couple of knifes.

2. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    You've totally nailed it, d00d. That's precisely what it was about. No one need see it now. Way to spoil it for everyone else! Do you generalize this much about everything you see? How does John Hurt look Russian? Do you even know who Guy Fawkes was?

While I didn't like it as much as Sara, it's probably one of the more thoughtful movies I've seen in a while. Loved the idea of it, just wasn't crazy about the execution. I've never been a Wachowski fan, and they've at least shied away from the pretentious-speak that never really made any sense in the Matrix trilogy (especially 2 & 3), but the actual plot line of "V" really meanders and doesn't seem focused. The beginning and end are really good, it's the middle of the film that's just all over the place, IMO. Worth a watch, though.

3. JediRacer8

JediRacer8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2004
    Ummm...not even close to what the movie was about. Unelss you count the fact that V and the Phantom both wore masks.

For some reason this movie just made me sit back and say "wow". I won't go into plot details to avoid any spoilers, but hopefully some of you have seen it before Saturday.

4. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    Like I said that's what the previews looked like to me. Anyhow how did I know he was probly russian. Let's see... big attitude problem, melodramtic dude takin out guys with big guns when he just has knives and the big explosion sure looked like a russian city.

5. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong...

I don't know why you claimed anyone to be Russian in the film. None of the actors are remotely Russian, and the setting of the film is London, England. The film itself was shot in London and in Berlin, neither of which are Russia. The notion of a large image of an individual and weapons and soldiers are not of just Russian "descent," if you will. Many other governments used such tactics, some not even Communist.

I hope Sara and Shawn will be able to shed some light on the film for you at the book club meeting.

6. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    I plan to see V for Vendetta but it will probably be Sunday, just after book club unfortunately. Though if you spoil it for me on Satuday that's okay. Interesting role for Hugo Weaving (Mr Smith from Matrix, Elrond from LOTR etc).

Anyways, here's a reminder:

BOOK CLUB/SOCIAL MEETING
    When: This Saturday, March 25 at 1PM
    Where: My place
    What: Books, movies, politics, whatever you want to discuss...

See you Saturday!

7. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    We're going to have to leave by 3:00 unfortunately. We found an apartment in Greenfield we want to check out and the latest appt. they will take is 3:30 :( And because this weekend and next are pretty much booked, this may be our only chance to see it anytime soon. The house is going up on the market in the next week or two so I'm feeling a bit pressured to have some housing prospects in mind for the Milwaukee area.

8. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    Sorry, can't go.

9. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I enjoyed the Phantom duet by Shawn and Beret :) You guys should really do costumes for that sometime and roam conventions breaking into random song.

Do we have a date for the next gathering?

10. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    scary....*shivers*

11. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I missed the scary part.

12. Blackadder1

Blackadder1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Loved the chinese food! Good to see you all again, too. :)

13. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    The Chinese food was an excellent idea. I like the "themes" we've been going with for our spread of food.

14. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    I, too, loved Shawn and Beret's Phantom of the Opera duet! They can break into song anytime as far as I'm concerned. And I am so jealous because I sing like a starling myself.

The One Man Star Wars show up in Green Bay was fantastic! Got to meet more 501st and some of us (a total of 15) went out for Italian afterwards. I'm sorry, Sara, that you had to head for home after the show because we had a great time. Anyways, I now have a line on a Space: Above and Beyond helmet and flight vest plus found out about a Stargate costuming group and forum (similar to the 501st in their dedication). I think I see some new costumes in the near future. :)

Anyways, on the ride back, Jeff, Michelle, Beret and I talked about our next meeting (and Beth asked me about it at the restaurant) so we picked a date...

NEXT MEETING
    When: Saturday, April 22 at 1PM
    Where: Leslie's Place
    What: Well, seeing as we've gotten away from reading Star Wars, Beret and I thought we'd revisit our fan fiction since there are some new people who haven't had the joy of hearing them! So bring your literary endeavors, prose or poetry. Also, I think we will be watching Peter Jackson's Bad Taste. [face_plain] Hmmm...

Beth, if you need directions to my place, PM me (don't worry if you don't hear from me right away as I usually check the JC Boards on weekends only and include your home email as well). Jeff and Michelle have been coming to these meetings since last Fall so if you want to bring Trent along it could be a small 501st get-together as well (Jeff, me, Sara, you and him). Wow! That would only leave 4 who aren't 501st.

Also, since the different food idea for the last 2 meetings has been a hit, we thought we'd do Italian this time. I will email everyone about this separately.

PS I finally saw V for Vendetta (brilliant!!!) and Joyeux Noel (brilliant!!!) so we can talk about those at the meeting as well.

15. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I had a great time yesterday and it's always nice to see the 501st folks I don't get to see too often. The show was excellent and I am glad we decided to buy tickets so we could sit down and enjoy it. I've got my pictures up:

One Man Star Wars Show pics

Italian sounds like a great idea...mmmmm.

As for fan fiction I'm always up to hear what you all have written. And I'm looking forward to a V for Vendetta discussion along with more Dr. Who talk.

16. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Ooh, ooh! Is any part of this Doctor Who conversation going to be about how K-9 was the best companion ever?

[image=http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/k9/800/k9_05.jpg]

And he's making an appearance either later this season or early next season! Woot!

17. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Thanks, Sara, for the photos from Saturday! I had a great time!!

K-9 was definitely the best companion ever and the Doctor's most loyal friend. Woof! Woof! Hey, it is the Year of the Dog so... ;)

We always talk about Dr Who at our meetings since all of us are watching it and some of us have been fans for more years than we like to admit. Tom Baker has been my favorite Doctor all this time but Christopher Eccleston is giving him a run for his money.

Spoiler Alert!!!!
    It's just too bad my favorite new Time Lord only lasts through this season. :(

Anyways, anyone up for a Dr Who Season Finale Viewing Party at my place (which, if I calculated it correctly, would be June 2)???

18. joe7049

joe7049 Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    Looks like you guys had lots of fun! Kinda dissappointed that I couldn't go... Who was that other Jedi in the pics?

19. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    I believe the Jedi's name was Vincent. Sara, correct me if I'm wrong on his name. Anyways, he is the nephew of Kathy VB, the 501st's Midwest Garrison's CO, who was visiting from Hawaii. BTW, I'm in my Sith outfit so am not the other Jedi. [face_shame_on_you] Unless you're counting Sara, as Mara Jade, as the other Jedi. [face_plain]

20. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    I really can't wait to see him in next season's episode. Sarah Jane Smith is also going to be in the episode, which is cool too. Speaking of K-9, I just got my Key To Time DVD set today. w00t! Time to veg out for a few hours.

I wish they'd hit on a few things in the new Who - The Master (probably dead), the Doctor's granddaughter Susan (also probably dead if she was indeed a Time Lord), in fact I'd like to catch up with a LOT of the old companions who didn't die. Don't know why, it's just been so long since I've seen good Doctor Who that I'm really curious about what's happened in the meantime what with the mentions of the war and all that.

I do like Eccleston for sure - I don't think I could name a favorite Doctor. I like far too many of them. About all I can say with certainty is that I didn't much care for the 1st, 5th, or 8th Doctors. The rest of them rocked.

Yeah, it would be nice to see Eccleston go at least a few more seasons, but I do like the guy after him (can't remember his name, yet). There are a few clips of him on BBC.com. I'm a little concerned what they're planning once they hit the 13th Doctor, though...

I think I may try to make that Finale Viewing Party, by the way. I'll let you know for sure the closer we get to it, but it would be cool to have people to talk to Doctor Who about!

21. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Eccleston makes my lightsaber spontaneously ignite. Seriously. It happened.

*spoiler*

I'm disappointed that Eccleston is gone after this season. I really like him so far. I don't have all the history that you guys do with the franchise but I agree that he seems "alien" in some way.

22. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Spoiler Alert...

And just to be safe and not get yelled at...

Spoiler Alert...
    David Tennant, a Scottish actor, will be playing the Doctor as of Season 2. And, as the date for the season finale looms closer, I will let people know about the viewing party. The early Doctors, those before Tom Baker, did not thrill me but I did like Peter Davison and Colin Baker as well. Not so sure about Sylvester McCoy or Paul Gann (of course, he got to play him only once in the movie). I think I forgot a Doctor or two... Work just fries the mind sometimes. [face_plain]

As to Eccleston, yeah, Sara, there is something about him... ;) And how many of you have noticed that his right ear is much bigger than his left ear?

Say, how about a Time Lord reunion of companions? Now that would be interesting if they could figure out a plausible way to do it - though picking up each in the Tardis in their own times would work.

23. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Hey guys!

I can actually make the next meeting!!! :) I will be getting back from visiting my mom in Virginia that day so I will have lots of stories to tell. I will be visiting the Washington D.C. area as well (this will be about my 3rd trip to D.C.) since my mom lives about an hour away. I should have some pictures on CD that I will bring to share.

It will be nice to see some of the new people as well as people that I have not seen in awhile.

24. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Shawn said he will make his lasagna for the Italian spread. Leslie, he will probably have to consult with you about whether he wants to bake it there, or just bake it here and then reheat it at your place.

25. Blackadder1

Blackadder1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    i love italian. Want me to bring anything?

Hoping to see the One Man SW someday since it looks totally hilarious. Too bad he doesn't have DVDs to sell (that I can see).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.