main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***OFFICIAL*** Milwookiee Lounge II

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Bishop76, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Well, I am done with packing everything in boxes. I have so much crud. As I was sorting it out, I found myself wishing to just give it all to Good Will and start over. Especially Tom's stuff that I don't like. I got to toss out my husband's ugly lamp that he has had before we got married. It was so ugly- it had two different shades of pea green and it was kinda squiggly. I won't miss that lamp at all.

Speaking of tacky items that someone has that we despise, I am going to start up a discussion of what tacky item each person here hates and who owns it. It could be your spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend, brother/sister, etc.

2. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, I have a very tacky item that I am just in love with, but that Bob really hates. It's a lamp that dangles from a chain which comes from an old apartment built in the 60's. It's one of those globular shades which is decorated with large abstract pieces of orange-colored resin, surrounded by little bits of amber-colored resin, with a pull chain dangling from the center. It speaks of shag carpet, lava lamps and Carnaby street. It still works, and it hangs in our computer room (the front bedroom) in one corner. For those of you who watch That 70s' Show, the basement set has one very similar lamp in the background.

Yes, it does look like a prop from an old Star Trek episode, but it was a gift from my uncle, who felt I would appreciate it, since it is certainly destined to become a collector's item down the road. He filched it from the garbage, while working with a group of painters who were refurbishing this old apartment complex.

I love the glow this lamp gives the room at night--very warm and inviting, but Bob absolutely hates it. He would love to see something dastardly happen to it. But it's so funny-looking, it's cute, and I'm not quite sure how, but I convinced him to let me hang it when my uncle brought it over.
    Some of you have already seen this lamp, but if anyone is curious to see it, you're more than welcome to drop by! :D

3. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    I will be in town for a couple of days... I would really like to see everyone if possible! Hit the thread...I'm in town...

Eric

4. ToxicNed

ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR star 4

May 2, 2002
    I remember when I was younger that my dad had this battered old grey hat. There is really no description that would suit this hat other than the above, and my mother despised it for reasons unbeknownst to us. There were a number of times that she "misplaced" it, but each time he managed to retrieve it before its emminent destruction. I remember one time that we were out fishing on the Wolf River and it blew off his head and went into the water. Dad made several passes with the boat to get it and each time he got close, my mother would hold her breath in anticipation of his missing it then sigh contentedly as he missed. On the fourth or fifth pass, he managed to finally get his hat, and my eight year old ears got to hear several choice words come from my mother's mouth.

Now that I think about it, I don't recall when the hat finally gave up the ghost and disappeared... But Dad's got himself a replacement that my sister's fiance gave him for Christmas. Mom was real happy with that. :D

5. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    Please remember that Eric is not taking about getting together on the weekend but Tues-Thurs 2/18-2/20! It sounds like people think it's this weekend.

In talking with Eric today, looks like Wednesday the 19th is going to be the best to meet up, probably at or around Mayfair.

6. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    when are we meeting at mayfair? i can be there after school at some time school gets out at 3:45 for me with the stupid 8th hour class.

7. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    Eric and everyone who can make it Wednesday...how about meeting at Fuddruckers in Brookfield, near Brookfield Square around 7PM? It's on the Blue Mound Road side just west of Brookfield Square (behind Schlotsky's Deli), in the same complex as Office Depot? The only reason I suggest this is because there was another incident at Mayfair Friday night but the biased journalism of Milwaukee has not reported it. Granted, we would not be meeting in Mayfair but that area is beginning to become a little unsafe at night.

Yeahs or nays???

Please go to the thread "I'm in town - The Chancellor" and make your opinion known there. Thanks!

8. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
  9. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    (this post was previously misposted to the Book Club thread--sorry)

--------Attention-------

Yesterday during work I started working on a project for a lady from AWC
    for Karen through Elaine, who works at MPS too. She was telling me that the
    school districts are busy making preparations in case we go to war.
    They're planning what to do if they have to hold kids, use schools as Red Cross disaster shelters, etc. I started worrying at that point that Kevin might get called overseas again. When I got home I called Kevin, but got his voice mail. I stopped at my neighbors and we were talking about the chances of Kevin leaving for active duty again. Kevin came over around 6 p.m. and I noticed he looked either sad or simply blank. In the middle of a conversation with my neighbor I blurted out to Kevin "Did you get a call?" A silent pauce followed. He answered "yes." He told me that at 3:00 p.m.
    (1500 hours) Monday (yesterday) he was called by his commanding officer for
    active duty. On Monday he goes to base and will either leave straight from there
    or they'll give him details on where he's going and he'll leave later that week. Right after Kevin answered "yes" he said "Hey baby, you wanna get married on Friday?" and that's the plan. Kevin could be gone for weeks, months, or longer. We don't know where he's going yet or how long he'll be gone. Our immediate family will have a dinner on Saturday. Tonight we're signing Kevin on my lease and his cat is getting a lease at my place too tonight. We're trying to get Kevin's family's friend, who is a judge to perform the ceremony on Friday or Saturday. Beret and I are making a dress from tonight through Thursday. When Kevin returns we'll have a renewal of vows ceremony & reception like a wedding for friends and extended family.

I should be getting the Arwen Evenstar pendant express mailed to me any day now--hopefully I'll have it to wear at the wedding and then give it to Kevin on Monday when he leaves.

Please keep us in your prayers/thoughts. Have fun this weekend. You know where I'll be (at the altar)

Jenni Haase (soon to be known as Jenni Gorzek)

10. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Wow. Sorry he's leaving and congrats on the rushed nuptails. It's one of those :( :) situations...

I was a military wife once...I don't miss it for all the world. It takes a strong individual to live with the uncertainty, even during peace time.

11. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Jenni-

I am a recent military wife myself and I really understand your situation. First I would like to say congrats on your upcoming wedding. I would also like to say it is so hard when your husband is away. I have been putting up with my husband's absence since August and it has been one of the toughest things I have ever endured. Although my husband is currently training at AIT at Ft. Eustis, I am afraid when he gets done with that they will send him over for the upcoming war since he enlisted as active duty. Which branch of the military is he in? My husband is in the Army and is going to be part of the Airborne division in the Army. If you ever need someone who can relate to your situation, you can always PM me and I will always listen. :) I have been through it all since Tom's been away so I am also a great resource of advice. I wish the best for both of you in your future.

Laura

12. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Jenni, congratulations to you and Kevin. I'm very happy for you, and I share your worries. My best friend's sister stopped by my house today to tell me that he was called up this morning. It just sucks all over. Don't know where or when he's going, but he is reporting on Sunday. I'm not a religious person, but I'm praying for our friends, family, and loved ones in our military. And I'm praying for those that have to say goodbye to them--by the grace of God it will only be for a short while.

Good luck to you and Kevin, Jenni!

13. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    And silence pervades the board...

14. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    No joke there. Is February a slow month, or what?

15. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    i know how you feel my friend brian is schedualed to head to kuwait in about 3 months. its been really hard on becca his wife and brock my boyfriend his best friend. we need to remember all the people going over and pray this ends quickly.

16. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    Good luck on the wedding, Jenni. You'll both be in my thoughts. :)

17. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    Good Luck, Jenni. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

18. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Heads up for those who may dig this sort of thing. On the Scifi channel on March 16 they're going to broadcast Children of Dune which is still a good part of the series before it really starts backsliding. Just figured I'd send up a flag.

M

19. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Greetings Milwookie!

A fellow Milwaukeeite saying Hi. I grew up in Milwaukee and went to Custer High School. I now live in MD and work as a flight-test engineer at a base.

20. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    Hello! It's good to see WI natives returning to their homeland. Or just to the message boards. :)

21. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Thanks Solo414,

I like your campaign posters. Very funny, but true, Ford should be President. I can see it now: he goes to war with Iraq and jumps on the first aircraft carrier heading out Yahooing the whole way there at top speed! :D

22. solo414

Mar 28, 2002
    That would make this world SO much cooler.

23. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    Thank you, everyone, for your heartfelt words of both excitement, joy, condolences and empathy!

To tell you about our big day and about the status of Kevin (Red05):

Kevin left for active duty today, but since 4,000 troops are in Ft. McCoy
    right now, the military has to clear them overseas before Kevin can leave
    his Milwaukee base, so tonight he's coming home! Tomorrow or the day after
    he'll have gone though. My grandma (mom's side) told me that she had the
    same experience with my grandpa. They were married, and the following
    Monday, March 9th, he left active duty Navy. So, she says she's been through
    what I have, and it's a comfort to know. They had a secret code, that is private, but if you PM me, I might e-mail info to you. Right now I don't even know which base to
    write to so that my mail will be forwarded to him. He's moved into my
    apartment--we're just finishing getting his last stuff over tonight (and the
    cat's got a lease at my/our place now too). We got joint accounts, a license
    (which we'd applied for a few weeks ago in case of emergency) and got to do
    the whole wedding with 3 days notice. In fact, we didn't even know if the
    judge could marry us on Friday or Saturday when Kevin got the call on
    Wednesday evening.

We had a *beautiful* last minute "big, fat, Greek wedding"--(his mother is
    Greek) and it really was amazing! We had 40 people in attendance (which was
    going to be 150 originally on July 17, 2004 at a park picnic sight on the
    lakefront--and for now we're keeping the permits in case we do a renewal of
    vows for the others who couldn't be there, and a welcome home party for
    Kevin), and we had an actual ceremony at "mom's" house in Menomonee Falls,
    WI. All of the girls wore something they owned that was semi-formal (long),
    and my sister got me a boquet. Beret sewed and I cut the patterns & fabric & pinned for a dress & veil that are MOST MARVELOUS in *3* days flat! I bought shoes and the like, and Kevin's mom even made a cake! We got
    a cake topper and rings ahead of time and luckily, we had everything already
    just in time for our *real* wedding. A friend of the family, a judge, came
    to perform the ceremony, and "dad" video taped us and took pictures. We
    walked in with the song "May It Be" by Enya (from Lord of the Rings:
    Fellowship of the Ring). The 4 bride's maids and I walked into the living
    room from one entrance, and the 4 groom's men and Kevin walked into the
    living room from another entrance. My dad even gave me away. After the *very
    touching* exchange of vows, we lit a unity candle that "mom" got for us at
    the last minute. There were flowers *EVERYWHERE* -- since no one could
    really be there, everyone sent beautiful flowers (right now our apartment
    smells like a flower shop! I love it!). During the unity candle lighting Ben
    and Steph sang to Ben playing acoustic guitar our song "Come What May" (from
    Moulin Rouge). After we were pronounced man and wife we had an actual
    procession line. From there everyone asked us to do a dance, and we did an
    actual waltz on the spot to "Annie's Song" by John Denver (one of our
    favorites too). It was just beautiful and so real--nothing rented, nothing
    fake. Everyone was themselves. My mom and "mom" both made spaghetti for
    everyone. People also brought some dishes. We cut the cake, and my relatives
    from Germany paid us a phone call. When all was said and done, around 6:30
    p.m. we left for the car to a one night honeymoon Steph and Chris prepared
    for us as a surprise! The car had meanwhile been written on: "Just Married"
    on the back, "Honk for Love" on the side, balloons and streamers all around,
    cans tied to the back of the car. It was funny and fun. The one-night
    honeymoon paid for by my family, was a whirlpool suite, and little did we
    know that they were inside of it ahead of time writing us notes, had
    champaign in the fridge, roses by the bed, a package on the bed, candles in
    the bath area--it was marvelous! A real dream come true! I wouldn't want it
    any other way now that we had it this way. If we have a

24. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    God, do you know how long I've been calling you Jenni Haase?! It'll take me forever to remember to call you Jenni Gorzek!!!

It's so weird! :p

25. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Sounds like it was really Beautiful Jenni!! Congrats and Many wishes to you and Kevin both. Glad all went well in such a short time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.