main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq [Official Mos Alba Event] - Bubonicon 37

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by BrotherHalo, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerahl

Jerahl Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2004
    See ya'll at the Con!!

2. bobasparxx

bobasparxx Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Moving it up...

3. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Where are you, Mos Alba? Saturday is the biggest day at the con, and only half showed up so far!

4. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005
    If a miracle happens and the baby Jesus shows up at my door and cures me I'll be there. Right now I'm as sick as a dog. Haven't held in any food since yesturday. Figures I get sick on my first chance to troop as an official member of the 501st.

5. servent78

servent78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    I will be coming on sunday I'm really lookign forward to meeting everyone!!

6. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Matt, bud, I really hope the Little Lord Jesus can heal you up!
    We've seen some nasty magnets you wouldn't believe! I think Peter may have bought stock in the booming "schlong magnet" business...

Servent, it will be nice to meet you!

7. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005
    You had me at schlong magnet!

8. bobasparxx

bobasparxx Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2003
    So, how has this con been so far?

9. propgeek1701

propgeek1701 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, as NM cons go, this is about as good as any I've ever attended. The costume contest last night was outta sight! There was some pretty freakin' stiff competition. I understand last year's costume show was kinda lame by comparison. (I wasn't there last year, but that's what I kept hearing). The winners of show last night (a couple of the Mountain Garrison 501's) really deserved it. They put hundreds of hours into their "Predator" costumes. Colleen "Boba Fett" and Tea "Mini-Boba" were awesome and they took "Best Reproduction" award. Then there was this garage sale robot guy who was pretty impressive, too. Commander Clem completely rocked and deserved an award, but the judges seemed totally unaware of how special his Clone Commander armor was. That was the only disappointment for me was Clem being overlooked.

Slave Leia took the "Hottest of Show" award... of course! Danielle kicked some major butt in that thing all day long. We took her to Coronado center, and she turned a lot of heads, took pictures with some foreign visitors (couple a French guys and a middle easterner), and then some dweeb whined to security about this hot chick turning him on too much, and the nerdy security guy had to come and ask her to robe it up, and you could tell the poor kid was absolutely mesmerized and would much rather have taken her home with him. It was pretty funny. Jerahl hung back and watched people's reactions and took pictures.

Anyway, yesterday rocked! The computer gamer's room was very cool. The fan films made a hit. The Star Trek hospitality suite was a very cool place to hang out as well. I think Mos Alba and the 501st had a very pleasant presence yesterday, all around. The CO and Southern NM fans are awesome! The only thing I feel badly about is that I intended to help out a lot more at our table in the dealer room. I was completely unhelpful to us there. I'm sorry, Brian and Donna! But you two totally made a nice presence at our table as well. I think we can hold our heads pretty high, Mos Alba. We rock!

10. Lorithavon

Lorithavon Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2003
    pictures... email them to if you got them and I'll put them on the website...

mosalba@redlor.net

-lor

11. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Hey, we met Shannon (Servent 78) on Sunday at the con! She was very nice!

Shannon, you posted somewhere else that: "For I myself have come to the conclusion that I am a big woman with 2 boys and bad hair and teeth"

I didn't see any of that! Who were you describing?

Ken (disguised as Luke)

12. karenec1

karenec1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    I didn't get to make it out either. It seems my husband was poisoned at somewhere we ate. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

13. Bloodclaw65

Bloodclaw65 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    I agree Ken. warm, sweet,smoking redhead thanks for coming out Shannon hope you had a good time. and thanks for subing today you Rock.oh! great costume idea's they will look great. =D=

14. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Sorry we missed you, Karen! it was cool!

And I agree with Joseph! you summed it right on up!

15. cyndilt76

cyndilt76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping me so much yesterday during the epic trooping session-- first time really in armor and it was a blast! you guys all rock, and helped me so very much- i love you all!

Clem-- me & you man, rocked it hard all day-- your clone was amazing!

thanks to wook for helping with the fan films-- sorry i was so tired! :)

special thanks to Trevor for being a superior imperial intern/handler

if anyone has pictures i'd love to see them-- i wanted to take some-- but could barely get my blaster out of the holster- let alone shoot pictures!

i'm leaving for dragon*con tomorrow at 6am-- so hopefully i don't get in trouble with the hurricane!!

i'll think of you all while i'm there, and take i'll lots of pictures ;)!

16. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    I'm working on an "after-mission" report for Bubonicon right now...

17. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Bubonicon 37: August 26-28th
    Albuquerque, NM

Bubonicon 37 launched Friday afternoon. After a quick setup orchestrated by Julie, Brian, Peter, Donna, and Bob, the Mos Alba FanForce/501st/Rebel Legion Table was ready to go. Donna, Brian, and Bob were first to man the table which was filled up with all sorts of goodies all donated by members of our fabulous group. Action figures ranging from Episode I through Episode III were ready to be purchased. Star Wars signs, two autographed C3 art prints, and one Commander Appo were ready to be auctioned off. A die-cast Star Wars vehicles pack, an Episode I figure bundle, three 30-minute chair massages, a '77 Darth Vader Don Post Helmet, and one Commander Neyo action figure were ready to be raffled off. Some Star Wars miniatures rounded out this year's grab bag, too. Typical for a Friday afternoon, it was a bit slow, but hoipeful as our first 6 toys were bought and some raffle tickets purchased. Ken was all dolled up as everyone's favorite smuggler, Han Solo, Jon as a Stormtrooper and several other Mos Alba members and some of our Colorado 501st brethren managed to show a face during the evening.

Saturday was the big day. A good showing of the Dewback Ridge Squad showed up, as well as several of our friends from Colorado: Charles (Jango Fett) and Tauni Orndorff (Fem Trooper), Brent McClay (Stormtrooper), and Lionel Smith (Imperial Officer). Who else was in costume? Earl (Biker Scout), Joe (Sandtrooper aka Crotch-shot trooper), Everett (Clone Trooper), Cyndi (Stormtrooper), Ken (Stormtrooper), Jon (Stormtrooper), Jess (Sandtrooper), Chris (Clonetrooper), Bob (Biker Scout), Michelle (Dinner Gown aka S&M Padme), Danielle (Slave Leia), and Greg (Han Solo). All of us trooped the morning at the Con going around and greeting con-goers while trying to avoid gaining any ill-reputations. Lots more people came by the table, grabbed flyers, bought raffle tickets, wrote down bids, and just chatted with our members. Brian and Donna performed like gold handling all sorts of inquiries at the table. Michelle and Cyndi showed off the fan films. Unfortunately, Cyndi's movie wouldn't play, but we'll try to host a showing of it at a meeting or a party sometime soon. Sean debuted his brand new Stealth Trooper armor, Victor and family also showed up, along with Trevor and several other members. Saturday night was the costume contest and out of 7 awards, Mos Alba and the Mountain Garrison swept 4. Best of Show went to the Predator couple, Best Use of Accessories went to Mark in his Jawa costume (where he apparently went and stole Nicole's purse and tried to sell it to the judges), Best Reproduction to Momma and mini-Fett Colleen and Tea, and Hottest of Show to Danielle in her Slave Leia. The rest of Mos Alba and the 501st showed up in costume as well to cheer on the entries. After the contest, the group retired upstairs to a couple of rooms, only to get warned by hotel management about being "too loud" and was notified that the next warning would come courtesy the Hotel Security people.

Sunday was a bit quieter, but still fairly active with grab-bag buys, last-minute raffle ticket and auction entries and general conversation with con attendees, friends, and fellow vendors. Ken suited up in his ANH Luke costume, Lor showed up in his Tusken, and several friends, old and new showed up.

Kudos go to everyone who donated items to the auctions, raffle, and sales:
    Donna, Brian, Jess, Bob, Peter, Ben/Sonya/Destyni, Nicole, Jason, Jen, Viv, Colleen, and others.

Kudos go to those who worked the table during the weekend including:
    Bob, Michelle, Peter, Jess, Trevor, Shannon, Anita, and others, especially
    BRIAN and DONNA. You guys rocked my socks for being so hardcore in manning the table.

And kudos go to all the people at the convention who purchased toys, raffle tickets, and the auctioned items from us. In total, everyone helped us raise nearly $250 in money for charity, which is nearly 4x what we generated last year. Excuse me while I go pick up my socks off the floor.

18. propgeek1701

propgeek1701 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    As a prop geek, I have to add my little excitement from Sunday's auction. Seems our local screenwriter, Melinda Snodgrass donated a really cool item to the auction, which I won. Melinda penned the script for a sweet ST:TNG episode called "Penpals." It's the one where Data strikes up a subspace conversation with a little girl on a world that is about to self-destruct with seismic activity. It's a Prime Directive issue whether or not to intervene and rescue the child. Anyway, Melinda was at the studio for principal photography, and it seems Ron Moore or one of those guys went over to the set and snagged this sweet little lyre-type instrument prop to give her as a memento. As a guitarist/propgeek, I was all over that! I am embarrassed to say how little I paid for this small treasure. I actually paid a bit more than my bid, but I still paid waaaay too little for an actual screen-used prop. Thanks Melinda! I will treasure this forever!

EDIT: I also snagged a really cool publicity kit for Episode III which includes full color pics, plot breakdown, and digital press kit on CD-ROM. Let me know if you wanna see it.

19. Commander_Clem

Commander_Clem Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    =D= Yea, I wanted to thank Skyra and Brian for the long hours at the booth....You both did an awesome job!

20. Bloodclaw65

Bloodclaw65 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Yes Props to Donna and Brian you guy's put long hour's in at the table so we could troop and enjoy the con you guy's rock.=D==D==D=

I was talking to Donna in our room about Mos Alba and she was so pleased with how we have grown
    and become.I want to thank all the founding Members that started Mos Alba with out you we would
    not be. =D=

21. karenec1

karenec1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    I agree. Raise a glass!!!

22. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    I would love to see a full blown convention come to Albuquerque!!!!

23. Commander_Clem

Commander_Clem Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    So would I...we had more troopers at this one than San Diego had the day that I went..

24. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    To only add what Bob already summed up...I think this year's 'con was hands down a great display from all who attended...we really made an impression (positive I hope ;)) on the attendees and fellow con members. Notwithstanding a few glitches - the same small dealer tables, the minor AV issue with Cyndi's film - security warnings for noise in the rooms (yeah...we partied a bit), I think it was a smashing success. And again to all who donated either time, items for the auction, hours of costume glitches, sweat, tears etc for making it happen. And I also stand up and applaud Donna & Brian for their unflinching dedication to the table. You are both AWESOME!!! *bows in humble respect* =D=

Way to go MOS ALBA!!!

WOO!

25. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    FYI, I wasn't able to meet up with a couple of people to pick up some additional raffle and auction pieces (Jason, John, and Christov).

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to try and hold another raffle in November during our DVD release events.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.