St. Lou, MO ***Official Movie Discussion Thread***.

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by quigon_brian, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudeman Jedi Knight

star 3
    the whereabouts of celebration 3 comes out this august!! woohoo!!, ok go about your movie reviews
  2. quigon_brian Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sure all of you have been eagerly anticipating my reviews of Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and Pirates of the Caribbean. Well, half of your wait is over. Here's one of them:

Charlie's Angels: Full ThrottleBAD!!! Sorry, that kind of just slipped out there. I guess the truth always comes out in the end. Or in this case the begining :confused: Anyway, I was really looking forward to this movie and was really disapointed. The first one had the right combination of action and T&A. This one didn't. Too much was attempted to fit in this 2 hour movie. Especially when they try to add some depth to the characters (because that's what everyone went to this movie to see). The most annoying this about this movie was how they wasted the "Creepy Thin Man" character (from the original). I thought he was so cool even though I absolutely despise Crispin Glover, and they totally ruined him in this one. He's in some rediculous side story that deals with the orphanage he grew up in that take away from his coolness and makes him just plain weird. There were only two redeeming qualities of this movie. The first was Benie Mac. This man is just plain funny. If the fighting, special effects, etc. weren't so crappy, I would recomend this film simlply so that you could go laugh at Bernie. The other quality: Demi Moore in a bikini ***drool***. Seriously, I don't care if she is 40, she is hot. If my wife looks anywhere near that good when she's 40, I'll be a happy man.
    Like I was saying though, nowhere near as good as the original, and overall not worth seeing.
    My final grade: D+

I'll post my review of Pirates tomorrow or thursday. In case anyone can't tell, I'm saving the best for last because I really want to do that film justice. Also, I'll probably see Tomb Raider either tomorrow night or in two weeks (I'll be in Gulf Shores, AL from friday morning until next sunday). So I'll be sure to review that.

What else is coming out before the end of summer? I know American Wedding is gonna suck. That's all I can think of though.
  3. dudeman Jedi Knight

star 3
    i want to see S.W.A.T. when it comes out, and i dont think you reviewed LXG brian, but i could be mistaken
  4. quigon_brian Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I really wanna see S.W.A.T. too. I have not yet seen LXG, and I'm not sure I'll get the chance. It's gonna be tough squeezing in Tomb Raider, American Wedding, and S.W.A.T. I'll be out of town this weekend through the next on vacation. Then I'll work Mon-Thurs. Then saturday I'll head up to Kirksville for a week of rediculous debotchery with my fraternity brothers before classes start. Then I'll come home for like 2 days. Then on Wed the 27th, I'll leave for Orlando for 4 months to do the Walt Disney World College Program. So needless to say, the rest of the summer is going to be pretty busy.

If anybody wants, I'll post my review of Daredevil which I will be purchasing tonight and watching on the way down to Gulf Shores. YEAH 12 HOUR DRIVE!!!!!!!
  5. CuppaJoe Force Ghost

star 4
    Watch the star wars saga on the way down!
  6. quigon_brian Jedi Master

star 4
    Two problems with that:
    1. I'm bringing my computer, not my TV and VCR (OT still not on DVD)
    2. Even if I had it on DVD, I'd have to buy an $80 car adaptor for my powerbook. I can get about 3 hours out of my battery, but any longer than that is pushing it. I could in theory watch TTT on the way down, but I really want to watch Daredevil since I haven't seen it since the day it came out (my birthday, Feb 14). I just watched TTT like 3 weeks ago.
  7. CuppaJoe Force Ghost

star 4
    How do you watch TTT if it's not out yet
  8. Darth_Athena Jedi Master

star 1
    I know at rolla we had, on the day it was released, a DVD rip of it already on the network.

And Brian goes to Truman, which gets all of their movies through Rolla.
  9. dudeman Jedi Knight

star 3
    burn TTT off the internet
  10. dudeman Jedi Knight

star 3
    hey all. its time for another review, this time its Pirates of the Cariibean.

this movie was one of the 2 best that has been out all summer long. if you go to the movies to see anything else (except LXG) DONT!! lol, go see it at least once, it is an awesome movie. i still cant decide which one is my favorite between PotC and LXG. both worth seeing more than once. i cant wait for this to come out on video/dvd, i will be there the day it comes out to get it.
  11. quigon_brian Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay everybody, I'm back from the dead. Or Gulf Shores anyway.

I know I promised a review before I left, but what can I say? I'm a lier. I'll definitely post some either tonight or tomorrow. I'm still unpacking, and I have to go see some friends to give them their souveniers.

How do you watch TTT if it's not out yet [/]

I know at rolla we had, on the day it was released, a DVD rip of it already on the network.

And Brian goes to Truman, which gets all of their movies through Rolla.

Actually, it wasn't a DVD rip. Not at first at least (I put a version of it on the network for all of K-ville). A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend or something like that got me an actual full digital quality DVD version of TTT back in January. It was a copy of the version that gets sent to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the Academy Awards. Don't know how the first guy got it. Don't wanna know.
    But Laura is right about sharing movies on the school's network. A lot of times, someone will dowload a movie at a whopping .5 k/sec on kazaa and after about a couple of weeks, it will be all over the school. I did that with a few good movies this year. Jen had me get some really crappy movies too though. She made me sit through Requiem for a Dream, Donnie Darko (this is her and her best friend Beth from CJ's favorite movie), Girl Interrupted, and the Goonies. God I saw a lot of bad movies this year.
  12. Darth_Athena Jedi Master

star 1
    Eh, we had the academy one on our network. Twas the first version we had of it.

It did get kinda annoying, what with the "For your consideration" popping up on the bottom of the screen every so often.

And you didn't like Donnie Darko? Oh, well...

BTW, I actually ran into Beth and Jen at the mall, while I was waiting for my new stereo to get installed..

At rolla, we have a lot of people who know sites to download just about anything off of, so we get most interesting movies either right before or after they are released. Supposedly, last year, they had a copy of EP II a week before it was released, and Spider man two weeks early.

Plus, with movies that are already released on dvd, we have tons of people that just rip them.

Tis great.
  13. quigon_brian Jedi Master

star 4
    It sure is great.

It's a shame I was out of town this week or I probably would have been at the mall with them and I could have finally met you in person.
    Of course I might not have been there. I think Beth doesn't like me too much. She never seems to want to do anything when I'm there. I think her problem with me is mostly two-fold.
    One, Jen always complains to her when I do stupid stuff (more frequent than you would think). Two weeks ago at a party my fraternity was having here in town, I had way too much to drink and told way too much about our private life. I actually thought it was pretty funny. Pretty much everyone did except for Jen. So that made her mad.
    Two, she likes all those weird movies (adaptation, donnie darko, requiem, etc). When I first met her, one of my best friends from high-school was there, and I was talking about The Hot Chick and saying what a good movie it was (she hates everything about Rob Shnieder). Then I was making jokes at the expense of Adaptation that were in reference to Seinfeld. So me and Steve were in hyserics whilst they sat there and looked at us like we had brain damage.

I've been trying to figure out what I can do to make her like me. But nothing's come up so far.
  14. Dagobah_Diva Force Ghost

star 4
    Meeting at quigon_brian's frat house!
  15. quigon_brian Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, I've been putting this off long enough, so here it is: Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl!!!!!!!!

I'll start off by saying that this is hands-down the best summer movie in years. Period. Stamped it.
    The story revolves around Elizabeth (the daugter of a very rich and powerful man whose name and title I can't remember because it's been a few weeks) getting kidnapped by the pirates of the ship, The Black Pearl. Meanwhile, Capt. Jack Sparrow and Legolas hop aboard a stolen ship and go after her. Then we find out some terrible secrets from the past. OOOOOOHHHHH

Here's a breakdown of why it's so great.
    1. Awesome effect when moonlight hits the pirates of the Black Pearl and only the part of them that is touched by the moonlight turns to skeletons
    2. Pirates are in it, and let's face it, next to ninjas, pirates are the coolest guys around.
    3. Johnny Depp's performance. I hate him in everything else (maybe I just hate the movies), but he has a lot of fun with the role, and it shows.
    4. Kierra Knightley (padme's decoy in TPM) in dresses from the 16/1700's (I don't know when it really took place, but damn she looked hot in those outfits!!!! mmmmm!!!)
    5. It's a fun movie with swordfighting, explosions and British people dying.
    6. It's better than Gili. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

My Final Grade: See it or you suck, oh wait, A

Edit: Later to come, American Wedding. This review is probably going to be spoiler heavy, so watch out!
  16. maxreid Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I agree. When I went in to see pirates of the carribeanexpecting it to be yet another retarded, overrated disney movie that would barely deserve to be called only half crappy. But it actually was an awesome movie. Disney has shown some hope this summer.
  17. dudeman Jedi Knight

star 3
    thought id bring this back

<B>Master and Commander</B>

not at all a bad movie. i was waiting to go see it and then did, having high hopes, and came out very happy. i thought this movie was worth the price of the tickets(a rare find) and suggest that you all go see it.

overall grade: B+
  18. dudeman Jedi Knight

star 3
    sorry the <B> </B> was supposed to make it bold. so just use your imagination please
  19. Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Seeing Timeline this weekend. PLEASE DON'T LET IT SUCK!! I have a bad feeling that it will get nowhere close to how great the book was.
  20. kddidit Jedi Knight

star 1
    Saw Matrix: Revolutions a couple of weeks ago. Not a total waste of time and money, but close.
  21. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    I thought Revolutions was a great movie! I'm all Matrix-ified. In fact, I'm working on my own Matrix fan film here at school.

[shameless plug]link[/shameless plug]
  22. quigon_brian Jedi Master

star 4
    I really liked Revolutions. I liked the ending. I also thought the music for the final battle between Neo and Smith was perfect.

Your site looks really cool Jon. Do have a projected time frame of when the film will be done?
  23. kddidit Jedi Knight

star 1
    Cool site, Jon! Really liked the morphing sequence.

Matrix Revolutions left me feeling dissatisfied because, among other things, Neo was set up as "The One" who was going to liberate humanity from the slavery of the Matrix. In the end, Neo dies (oh, and the religious imagery of that was overdone) and the Matrix still exists, but people can be free "if they choose". And the Source program? Sure seemed like Deus ex machina plot resolution. I was expecting something unusual, different and...revolutionary. Another minor complaint: the soundtrack. I like classical and I like techno. IMO, they should've stuck with the techno sound.

I did like the action i.e., invading the Merovingian's lair (brief as it was) and the battle of Zion (lengthy as it was) and of course the final duel Smith vs. Neo.

24. Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Well saw Timeline with Randy, Jon, and Ellie yesterday. It was a bit of a disappointment. Perhaps if I had not read the book recently it would have been a great movie. They got the main plot point correct but beyond that they did to it what they've done to most Criton books, change the story way too much.

The movie is good 14th century fun, lots of sword fighting and drama. A few historical inaccuracies, but it's Hollywood.

My suggestion, go see this one in the theaters, then go to the local bookstore and pickup the book. If you do this in that order, you will enjoy both to their full extent. It is the best MC that I've EVER read.

Final grades-
    *Book- A+
    *Movie alone- B+
    *Book to Movie accuricies- D
  25. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    Currently, I haven't even started filming for the Matrix film I'm working on. I've got the script finished and have honestly more actors than I know what to do with since I intentionally kept the script small. I plan to start filming probably early Febuary after having some time once I'm back from winter break to rehearse with the actors to make sure the dialogue doesn't sound canned. Plus I need some time to work out some good fight choreography.

Speaking of Timeline, I caught it with Dajuan. I liked it. There were a few wastes of characters and historical inaccuracies. For example, trebuchets weren't in heavy operation until around a hundred years after the point this was supposed to take place and they were most often used by the english. But it didn't detract any. At least it wasn't like in Gladiator where they had crossbows 700 years out of their actual time and to make that worse, they had a repeating crossbow.

Overall, I agree with Dajuan on the B rating. I haven't read the book yet, but I plan to soon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.