main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA *** Official Movie & TV Review/Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Kaui-Gone-Jim, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Yeah, that was pretty cool. I haven't really liked Andrew until last nights episode. He really does seem to be trying to be a good guy. It was pretty funny how he told the story of him "beating Willow" :p

Has anyone here watched Quantum Leap? I'm listening to the soundtrack right now and it's just awesome! I love the Elvis songs and the version of John Lennins (sp?) Imagine that Scott Bakula sings. Man that was such a good show.

2. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    OMG Barry, it's "official"....

Buffy is gone :_|

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=115884

3. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I expected that to happen. Why stick with a show that's doing well when you can go off and have a lucrative movie career doing Scooby Doo movies :p

Besides, I'm sure we'll get some kind of spin-off out of Joss. And maybe in a few years we'll get another movie too.

4. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    Barry - yes, I loved 'Sliders'. The first season was phenomenal, but it slowly went south after that, IMO, like shows often do (think, 'SeaQuest').

Last weekend they showed "Bridges of Madison County" on TV.
    I never saw this film before and was very drawn into the story, about a 4-day love affair of a Midwestern housewife during the early 1960's, told in flashback as her son and daughter read from her diary after her passing (with Merryl Streep and Clint Eastwood starring - Clint also directed, and co-produced).
    I liked what Clint's character said in one scene, about being glad you have had dreams, whether they come true or not.

5. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Last weekend they showed "Bridges of Madison County" on TV

Ahhhh! Clint Eastwood in a chick flick! Sorry, never seen, never gonna see it. He's an action flick man and he should stick with what works.

Regarding Sliders. It was ok, though it could've been better. In the first season finale it was lame because to see if they were really back in their dimension, the main character moves the door on a picket fence. It's been squeeking when it's moved for years and suddenly it doesn't squeek. He assumes that means they aren't home, so they go to the next dimension. After they leave, his mom comes out and says something about having oiled the fence. Doh! I mean, could they have used a worse example to tell if they were home?

6. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Barry, that was definitely a "D'oh" :p moment on Sliders (about the gate).
    The thing I hate in TV shows is when they (execs) mess with the 'formula' - delete main characters, replace actors, and change the day/time slot (or pre-empt for sports)!

Clint is a great actor - he was very believable as that photographer. But, then I also liked Arnold S. in "Jingle All the Way" (I know, I know - no accounting for [bad?] taste!) :D

FUTURAMA ALERT!!!
    Sunday at 7 PM, FUTURAMA returns with a new episode on FOX 11 - tonight! :D :D :D :D :D

7. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Barry, et al, did you see that Simpson's Halloween segment that was like Sliders - where Homer 'fixes' the famly toaster, sending him back in time, and he ends up on an Earth where Marge and kids have snake-like tongues (Homer shrugs it off - "Close enough!" :D )

The new FUTURAMA was very funny, as usual.
    Man, I just can't see how King of the Hill could garner better ratings - I thought Nielsen families had to be in the upper income/intelligence brackets? ( :eek: )

BTW - DVD Planet having big sale on everything this week - also they moved west on Beach.

8. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Just a note about DVD Planet. They have the most restrictive return policy I have ever seen. It doesn't read as being to bad, but a friend of mine once had a very hard time returning a scratched disc. They told him to shake it next time to make sure it was securely in the package. So if you buy anything there, shake it. Otherwise, if it's scratched, they may not take it back/exchange it.

Also, they wouldn't exchange a disc for him that had a slight jump in the video. Their reason was that it "wasn't that bad". I don't know if he was able to get that one exchanged or not.

Just FYI

9. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Just saw on theonering.net that there is a website up for The Chronicles of Narnia. Looks like they have a writer and a director. I can't wait to see how those books look as a movie.

10. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Thanks for the DVD Planet info, Barry!

Tuesday, the Special Edition DVD of "STIV:TVH" (with the whales) comes out on 2-disc set!
    Still my favorite of all the Trek movies - it is most like the original TV series, with its use of humor, etc.

Peace,
    Jim

11. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    The "STIV" dvd rocks. Best 15.99 I spent in a long time!

Was in Hollywood Video other day, and there was an animated version of Starship Troopers - will check out very soon!

-Kaui

12. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Anyone going to see 'Dream Catcher' next week?

I can't believe they remade 'Willard' - but the Entertainment Weekly reviewer rated it as better/creepier than the original.
    (pet rats the size of dogs - no thank-you!)

On the TV front - FUTURAMA was supposed to return to FOX on Sunday night at 7PM - per TV Guide - but FOX re-ran an older 'Simpson's' episode instead! :mad:

And the final episode of Farscape airs this friday, 3/21, 8 PM, on Sci-Fi Ch. :(

Peace,
    KAUI

13. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    NEW DVDs!

Tuesday (3/25) 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' (2-disc special edition), and Season 1 of Futurama both are released! :D

In May, two of my favorite older movies finally come to DVD:
    Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" (1954) and
    MGM's "Battle of Britain" (1969). :p

-- Kaui GJ

14. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I saw Willard, it was creepy, doubt anyone will think it's better that the original though.
    I'm all over that Roger Rabbit DVD! Even if they do put panties on Jessica.

15. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    LMAO, Birdman! :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For all the 'Battlestar Galactica' fans (SRB, Lord Jedi, Darth Avery, etc. - I have some very good news! :D

The new 'Battlestar Gallactica' mini-series is coming to the Sci-Fi Channel in December 2003 - saw annoncement, per a very short ad, during a commercial break on Sci-Fi (while watching the final Farscape episode).

16. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Heads up^! :D

Target had the Roger Rabbit DVD for only 15.99 + Tax! on Tuesday.

I'm sooooooooooooooo very happy - got the FUTURAMA Season 1 dvd set.
    Now, if FOX doesn't air the new episode listed in TV Guide (like they did on 3/16) I won't be too dissapointed (Re: 'Pissed off to heck!')

Peace,
    Kaui Jim

17. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    "Dreamcatcher" - This movie, from a Stephen King story of an alien invasion, will appeal to most horror and X-Files fans. A good and scary time you will have with this one!
    And before the movie starts, 'The Animatrix' short is very cool also.

"The Core" - Like Armageddon, this has an 'End-of-the-World' plot, but no one actor steals the show here (and Hillary Swank is :D nice).
    The scene of the shuttle landing in L.A. was both fun and a little heart-rending (because of Columbia). The scenes inside the earth's interior are very well done too.

Peace,
    Jim

18. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I heard Dreamcatcher was pretty lame. Great, now I have to check it out. I also heard The Core was kinda lame. Actually, since the writer said the studio improved his script, I assume it's rather lame. They both might be good "entertaining" movies, but I have a hard time suspending my disbelief when movies try to involve some real science, without actually consulting real scientists. Armageddon was a perfect example of how NOT to do that, while the other "end of the world" movie that came out around the same time (can't remember the name of it right now) was a perfect example of how TO do it. Of course, Armageddon made more money and was a better action flick, but the science was horrible.

19. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    I picked up the DVD of 'Jackass: The Movie'. I know it sounds really stupid, but this was one of the funniest damned things I've ever seen. I know the show's been on for years, but I come into liking things alot later than most folks (like Beavis & Butt-Head/South Park). Anyway, if you like watching people maiming themselves and totally random idiocy, this movie is for you.

20. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I don't mind watching that type of thing, but I refuse to pay to do it.

21. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    While I did enjoy the begining seasons of South Park and Beavis and Butthead, I cannot stand Jackass.

I saw them film one of the shows once and the way they set everthing up and faked it basically was lame. Plus the guys were jerks to the kids that were skating there (it was an ep in a skate park).

So I have no interest whatsoever in the movie.

As for the current tv shows I watch, Charmed has been really lame lately, and Smallville has been nothing but repeats....

Not sure how I feel about Buffy...I was hoping all remaining eps were new, but already we got another repeat...
    What are you thinking about the remainder of the eps Barry?

22. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Well, I was actually happy to see that this weeks was a repeat. With Angel coming to Buffy for the finale, they have to end Angel before they can end Buffy. I actually wish they had done the repeat a week sooner. Seeing Willow answer the phone and mention having to go to LA seemed awkward after seeing her leave LA with Faith on Angel the week before. Now the episodes are in line with each other so when Angel leaves LA at the end of his season, the next episode of Buffy (the finale) will have him arriving in Sunnydale. That said, I look forward to seeing the captain from FireFly and Buffy duke it out :)

And is Connor a total moron or what?! If he was any dumber, he'd be a vegetable. How stupid can one person really be?! "We have to do this for our baby Connor" OMG! Give me a break please. Someone (hopefully Angel) will kill Connor in the season finale. Actually, if it's not Angel, I'm gonna be pi$$ed. And it looks like they're finally starting to do something with Gunn besides having him stand around and fight. That show needs a couple less cast members (or a couple of better ones) and they're talking about bringing some people over from Buffy once it's finished. Thin out the cast before you bring even more people over, it's overcrowded as it is.

23. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    I couldn't have said it better myself Barry ;) :p

I agree on all points. AS long as thining the cast DOESN'T mean getting rid of Wes....I like him. One thing though...I just wish they would kill off Cordy too. She is annoying me to no end.

Looking forward to the Angel/Buffy reunion. Now that he is "officially" in love with Cordy I wonder how things will end with them. I have a feeling they are gonna have Buffy & Spike ride off into the sunset so to speak. I personally think that's a lame idea but it's probably the way they'll go...

24. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I think they'll keep Wes. He's the only thing making Angel the series good. I don't know about getting rid of Cordy. I like Cordy. Yeah, she's been annoying, but that wasn't really Cordy.

As far as Buffy and Spike riding off into the sunset, I don't know if I'd count on it. Expect the unexpected. This is Joss after all. He has a tendency to turn things upside down because he doesn't do what's expected. And rumors have it that Spike might be going over to Angel. I wouldn't like it (do we really need 2 vampires with a soul on the same show?), but I hear a lot of people want to see them teamed up.

25. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Malice - I also 'discovered' great shows much later than most (The Simpson's, X-Files, etc.), so you're not the only one.

Amy and Barry - seems this year so many good series are ending on the Tube! :( I was never a Buffy regular, but I enjoyed an ep now and then (and SMG aint a bad looker! :p )

---------------------------------------------

Lamest Sci-Fi movie - Ever?!

While some consider 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' to be one of the worst films ever made (SF or otherwise), I doubt Ed Wood intended it to be more than it is - a silly and fun 'B' movie.

For me, one of the lamest SF flicks ever made (that was an obvious rip-off of earlier films, like the original Star Wars) - and tried to be much better than it is - would be something like....

'Battle Beyond the Stars'

Starring John-boy Walton as a poor imitation of a Luke Skywalker-type hero, I have to laugh whenever this movie gets played on TV (usually at 4 AM).
    This turkey tries to soar, but makes my eyeballs sore instead.

Any other nominees out there for worst Sci-Fi flick?

The balcony/sofa/soap-box is yours!

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.