main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA *** Official Movie & TV Review/Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Kaui-Gone-Jim, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Does Battlefield Earth count?
    'Cause I didn't like that movie. I didn't even sit throught the whole thing. I sit through every movie.

Did anyone watch the "Pirates" trailer on TV tonight that was on half the TV stations?

2. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    Birdman - you got a good nominee there for sure. I have never tried to watch 'Battlefield Earth' (as the trailers had looked so awful). Someone would actually have to PAY ME to watch it! :D

FOX showed another new FUTURAMA... which was sweeeeeeeet! Now, only 8 un-aired episodes left.

DVD review - FUTURAMA (season 1)
    This animated show is even more fun on DVD, with the extras (lots of deleted/alternate scenes) - and not having to sit through any TV commercials is great too!
    A 10 out of 10 rating (though I'm biased, a bit).

Kaui-Jim

3. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    "Phone Booth" - This movie is so good. It answers every question I had from the trailer (why does he answer the phone in the first place and why do they think he has a gun) and ends perfectly. I can see why it was delayed though (the shooter in the movie has taken out a few other people before in the same fashion). I think it's just about 2 hours long, but the time flies right by. I found myself rooting for both the guy in the phone booth (Colin Farrel) and the sniper (Keifer Sutherland). This movie did not disappoint me. I liked it, but some might not due to the subject matter (sniper killing people for lying essentially). If you like suspense films, I highly recommend this.

Regarding Battlefield Earth, I've never read the book, but I've heard that it's A LOT better. I only had problems with watching Battlefield Earth after my first viewing (way to many plot holes to list).

4. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    Phone Booth was great, and it seemed to fly by because it was only 80 minutes long.

5. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    I agree, 'Phone Booth' was really well done. A great editing job and sense of pacing, as well as a genuine feeling of suspense throughout. Awesome. My only complaints were the tearful Colin Farrell confession, which was a bit overdone, and the slow beginning which set up the scenario had me writhing in my seat impatiently. Overall, clocking in under an hour and a half was a quick, good little story. It's nice to see Kiefer getting some work, too.

Kaui-Gone, want to know what the worst Sci-Fi movie is? Why, none other than 'Dünyayi Kurtaran Adam'. That's Turkish for 'The Man Who Saved the World'. It is known most commonly in the bootleg circles as 'Turkish Star Wars', since it blatantly rips off the original. Basically, its the story of two space travellers who rescue a Cleopatra look-alike Princess/Space-Babe and fight against tin-foil aliens and a lead villain that's a C-3PO/Ming the Merciless/Darth Vader Hybrid, all the while using a gold lightning bolt-shaped sword made of plywood to defeat the forces of evil.
    The plot is incoherent (I've only seen it without subtitles), and the movie appears to have been shot on a budget the equivalent of pocket change. What's wild about the film is that it randomly cuts to scenes actually lifted from 'Star Wars' at several points in the film, as well as using music from 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. The fate of the lead villain at the film's climax has to be seen to be believed.
    Copies of the movie have appeared a few times on Ebay. Everyone must see this, it is absolutely INSANE.

6. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
  7. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Malice - that is LOL hilarious! Would make for a good DVD screening night, if you got a copy.

On PBS a short while ago was a special on James Dean (actor in 'Rebel Without A Cause'). It hit me, about half way through the 1 hour show, that George Lucas combs his hair similar to the way James Dean did in his films (and Dean was a car racing enthusiast - and so was GL, in his youth).
    Later, I saw that the character Fry in the Futurama pilot episode wears a Dean-like red jacket over white t-shirt and blue jeans (as Dean did in 'Rebel..')
    Isn't Anikin a bit like James Dean, in 'Clones'? (and, BTW, Rebels are NOT scum!)

8. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    Kaui-Gone, did you read the review? It is quite amusing, though a bit biased against the real Star Wars....

I recently procured a copy of Turkish Star Wars on a recent trip to Franks & Sons collectibles warehouse. I haven't seen it on subsequent visits, but again, ebay is the way to go, if you're interested in owning this monster.

And as for DVD, you can just as well forget it. Dust off your VCR, since Turkish Star Wars isn't exactly making a 2-disc Ultimate Platinum Collector's Edition anytime soon. The copy I have is really, really poor quality, but then again, that's what gives the film its appeal.

9. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Malice - I did read the Turkish SW review!
    You got it on VHS? (Summons Force powers - waves right hand index finger) "You will make a copy for Kaui-Gone..."

How many going to see X-Men United? The trailers look good - I'm looking forward to it...

KGJ

10. BucketHead8723

BucketHead8723 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2003
    I think that X-Men 1 was a not so good movie. X-Men had a lot of potential and it sort of fell flat in my mind. However, I still enjoy watching it because of the action. Hopefully, X-Men 2 will redeem X-Men 1. The trailer DOES look a lot cooler.

11. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    You didn't like X-Men 1?! :eek: I thought it was really good and a great way to introduce the characters and the whole X-Men "thing" to people who've never read the comic. The only issue I've heard that people had with it was the guys in Wolverine's vision and the motorcycle. The motorcycle was added by the marketing guys and the guys in his vision were changed for reasons we don't know about yet. That and I think Rogue was a little young for the actual character, but nothing real major was changed, I don't think.

I am definitely going to see X-Men 2 at Big Newport this friday. I'm going down there tonight to pick up a ticket for myself. I'll probably see it Saturday with some other friends too. And I'm only going to get a ticket for it if it's on the big screen :)

12. BucketHead8723

Apr 12, 2003
    Although it is not my FAVORITE franchise, I WILL also be seeing X-2 on Friday.

13. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I'll be seeing it late Thursday night :) Got my ticket to the midnight showing at Big Newport last night. Of course, I'm looking forward to the Matrix much more than X2.

14. BucketHead8723

Apr 12, 2003
    Nice. The Only midnight show I have ever been to was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, and I was half asleep the whole time. I had gone to see another movie at around 10pm and when it got out, I was a big line and my friends and i just snuck in.

I am also looking forward to the Matrix very much. I read the plot from a website and it is great. If you want I can PM it to you or something.

15. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    I, for one LOVED 'Final Fantasy'. I've played all the games since the NES, and thought the franchise was done justice with a smart, suspenseful, star-studded, and extremely well made film. Everyone I know HATES this movie, and all I could ever find wrong with the movie was the lame, karaoke-sounding solo at the end. I thought they should have thrown in one of the ending themes from one of the games, instead.

I also love 'The Fifth Element', which I know alot of people hate, too. So sue me.

16. jedi_janie

jedi_janie Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    The Fifth Element rocks! I LOVE that movie. C-C-C-Corbin my-man! Did you know that this movie was inspired by Star Wars? I also found it fascinating that Fifth Element has a scene where he is in his cab being chased by police and he is going straight down just like Anakin/Obi Wan when they are chasing Zam. Coinky-dinky...

17. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    ... thought the franchise was done justice with a smart, suspenseful, star-studded, and extremely well made film. Everyone I know HATES this movie, and all I could ever find wrong with the movie was the lame, karaoke-sounding solo at the end.

That's all you could find wrong with it? Hmm, how about the lack of a plot. And the "acting". They spent so much time getting the CG to look near perfect, they forgot to pay attention to the story. I liked the movie too, but only because it was the closest thing I had ever seen to fully digital actors. I think once the technology gets REALLY REALLY cheap, it's going to become voice-over land for a lot of actors. Heh, wait until Matrix 2 and you see the 10,000 Agent Smiths, and can't figure out which ones are the digital ones. We're getting very close :)

18. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    But, I thought 'FF: The Spirits Within' DID have a plot, and a good one. Alien creatures threaten mankind, two viewpoints exist on how to eliminate them; the peaceful way, or the more harmful, but faster violent way. It's alot like the game, Final Fantasy 7, in particular. In fact, the film's story is almost an exact copy of the game's.
    You've got a heroine that is the key to unlocking the secret of reversing the adverse affects on the earth made by the aliens (so, she's essentially the equivalent of Aeris the flower-girl, for those familiar with the games). Then, there's the group of fighters that assist her to acheive her goal. The only difference from this storyline and that of the games is that Aeris, the game heroine is killed by the lead villain. In the movie, Alec Baldwin sacrifices himself so she can vanquish the aliens. There's alot of stuff going on in this movie, so I don't see why so many people thought it was bad. My girlfriend refuses to watch the DVD with me when I have it on.

19. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    I didn't hate the movie, but I agree with Barry, the plot could have been better. Or at least clearer. Not everyone has played the game.

The DVD is worth it for Thriller though!

20. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    I've heard of the 'Thriller' DVD extra you're referring to. It's listed on the back, and honestly, I've never been able to find it. Where is it, exactly, and what is it?

21. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    It's pretty well hidden. Took forever to find. Then someone told me about the easter egg website. Then life was much easier.
    I don't know how to put a link here, but it's easy enough. Go to Eeggs.com, they have a pretty good listing of eater eggs in DVD's, movies, TV and computer games.

They will find you lost special feature.

22. BucketHead8723

Apr 12, 2003
    I just got back from seeing X-2. For one thing, it WAS a lot better than the first film, but still needs improvement. I said before that I hope X-2 will redeem X-1, and it seemed to do so, at least according to my standards. There were better fight scenes, special effects, dialogue, and some new characters who were REALLY cool. Although, I thought that Wolverine's fight scene could have been better. It should have taken place at the climax of the film, rather that as early as it was; and it only laster a few minutes. But altogether I liked it and will probably see it again.

I also really liked Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. I wish they would make a sequel, but I don't think it made very much money, especially for it's budget.

23. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    X-2 is much darker than the first X-Movie. And being longer (over 2 hours), the action does not kick in as quickly - this had some young fans in the theater bored for the first half, but I liked the slow build-up to the climactic ending (which hints at some good elements to come in X-3!!!)

I feel that X-2 and Matrix Reloaded will pretty much own the summer movie business...

24. BucketHead8723

Apr 12, 2003
    Another thing I didn't like about X-2 was the amount of screen time that Cyclops had (or lack thereof). He is unconcious for like, an hour.

25. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    Uh, he was there in spirit? At least he got to use his powers, Colossus was metal for all of 5 seconds.
    The movie was still awesome though!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.