main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA *** Official Movie & TV Review/Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Kaui-Gone-Jim, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BucketHead8723

BucketHead8723 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2003
    What IS Cyclops' eye beam? Is it a lazer? If it is then how come it doesn't burn through people. Maybe it electricutes people or somethin'.

2. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    It's supposed to be a blast of pure energy. It does not burn or leave any residual material, nor can it short electrical currents. It can only cause serious damage.

3. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I've always wondered that myself Zack, thanks for asking, and thanks for answering Malice. :D

So has anybody seen Malibu's Most Wanted? ?[face_plain] I heard it was extremely stupid from some people, but the funniest thing ever from others. Which is it?

4. BucketHead8723

Apr 12, 2003
    Trust me, it is bad.

5. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    It does have some funny parts. About three of them, and one of those you saw in the commercial.

6. BucketHead8723

Apr 12, 2003
    Maybe it is just me, but even in the commercials it doesn't look funny at all.

7. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    I personally haven't seen 'Malibu's Most Wanted', but I thought the funny thing about the TV Spot for the movie, is when it says the quote from the reviewer that, "'Malibu's Most Wanted' is funnier than 'Bringing Down The House'.

Trust me, stabbing myself in the eye with a screwdriver was funnier than 'Bringing Down The House', so 'Malibu's Most Wanted' can't be much better.

8. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    Yeah, but you can't believe movie trailers!
    I'll never forget the commercial I saw for Titan AE (Which wasn't that bad actually) but anyway the commercial said it was 'Star Wars meets The Matrix'. HA! I think that's the best maketing ever! Every movie trailer should say what combination of two other movies it is.
    "Terminator 3, it's like Star Wars meets Terminator 2!"

9. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    The movie that looks simply awful from the trailer (but most critics are giving the thumbs up to), is "A Mighty Wind".
    I mean, a comedy about some (fictional, no less) folk singers that are way past their heydeys!
    It does have the guys from "This Is Spinal Tap", but folk music was never as big as Rock N Roll - even in its heydey. (Besides, when Dylan went electric, that was the day folk basically nosedived).

MOVIE REVIEW...
    A little known film I can recommend, that is a tongue-in-cheek nod to Walt Disney's 'Fantasia', is the Italian-made film, "Alegro Non Troppo". Like Fantasia, it has segments of live actors interspersed with animation set to various classical music pieces.
    This film is heavy on sarcastic, sometimes black, humor (and is not too flattering of Disney in tone).
    I think it was made in the late 60's to early 70's - but if you like good animation, it is well worth checking out.

10. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    up

"Blue Submarine No. 6 - the movie"

Got this last week on dvd. The first Anime movie I just had to own.
    The CGI and traditional animation are really blended well, and the designs and underwater scenery are just incredible.
    And the plot/story/characters are very involving too.

In this summer heat wave lately, a movie like this is just what the doctor ordered! :D

11. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    I have the 4 episode series on DVD. I really did enjoy 'Blue Submarine No. 6', especially the race of undersea dwellers. It's a pretty interesting anime, but alot of the story is based off of noting new. Cool nonetheless.

12. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    "American Splendor" -- a very entertaining film about an underground comic book writer named Harvey Pekar.
    The film switches back and forth between the real Harvey, comic drawings of him,
    and actor Paul Giamatti who portrays Harvey through most of the film.

The actual footage of Harvey on David Letterman was LOL funny!
    A very interesting film about the highs and lows of one straight-talking regular guy
    that puts his real life into his art, and lives life like an unstructured art project.

13. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    New version of 'Dr. Zhivago' was on PBS Sunday night (and next Sunday). Keira Knightly was a treat for the eyes. :D

Note: Britt, check it out!)

14. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    COWBOY BEBOP - A cousin had all the series dvd's and loaned them to me (as I don't have cable. :( )

I got hooked from the first 'session'. The ships and scenes in space and on various planets are all very cool. The banter between the main characters is amusing too.
    And I just read that Spike has the same B-Day as me (June 26).

Is exciting to imagine the Solar system worlds someday colonized, from Venus to the moons of Jupiter.... and beyond.

15. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    Cowboy Bebop is a spectacular series. I enjoy the soundtrack (very jazz-heavy), and the fact that it takes a classic concept (bounty hunters), and incorporates it in a futuristic setting. The characters are all very well developed, and each of them get their time in the spotlight in episodes that focus on their origins. My favorite episode though is one about some illegal mushrooms.

My complaints about Bebop is that it gets very predictable. New characters are introduced that are either killed off in the same episode, or are never seen onscreen again. Also, for a bunch of down-and-out bounty hunters, they almost always let their quarry get away, letting their quirky bounty hunter code of ethics get in the way from pulling in a big score.

All in all, it's pretty cool. Faye Valentine, one of the main characters, is total eye candy in every episode, and there's enough action to keep me entertained. I own the series on DVD and have watched the 'sessions' many times.

16. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Malice, yeah the Bebop ep with the 'shrooms was pretty funny! :D My fave was the one where the old space shuttle saves Spike's bacon (Wild Horses).

Master and Commander (directed by Peter Weir, 2003):
    This new Rus Le Roq* vehicle is a salty, scurvy, high seas yarn of an adventure, and is the best live action film I've enjoyed in the theater since The Two Towers. It is sort of like Hunt for Red October, but about two centuries earlier - when the sea's elements could sink you just as fast as the enemy could.

The doctor of the ship is as important to the story of the captain, and his interest in the Gallapagos Islands is an important chapter in the film.
    Highly recommend this movie!

*(aka Russell Crowe)

17. BucketHead8723

Apr 12, 2003
    I strongly disagree with your comments, Jim. I didn't like Master And Commander at all!! Everything cool in the trailer happens in the first 10 minutes, and then they spend about 1.5 hours exploring Galapagos, which is extremely boring. I could see why people think it is a good movie, because I suppose it is, it's just not what I went there to see, which was ships firing cannons non stop, sword fights, gun fights, and maybe a shark or two. The only REAL information the characters get from that 1.5 hours is that their enemy can disguise themselves. Three other things that ruined the movie for me: I couldn't tell anyone from anyone else, because they all looked the same to me, especially in the lone battle scene; I had no idea what the HELL people were saying, due to the heavy accents. When valuable plot points came across and I found people nodding and whispering like they understood, I thought WHAT just happened????; Big Newport left the lights on during the movie!! That really made me mad. Maybe I should see the movie again, with subtitles. The only reason I don't want to is because it would be so boring to sit through the time they spend on Galapagos!!

18. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Buckethead, sorry the movie was a drag for you. I agree it's sad that the trailers for films pack all the most exciting moments into one minute, and leave little to surprise you. That's why I didn't see Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle.

Why did they leave the theater lights on? That would ruin any movie for me too! :(

BTW, did you see the actor that plays Merry in LOTR in the crew?

Anyways, I'm sure ROTK will not disapoint any of us in December!
    I plan on going to Big Newport, so they better turn off the d@*! lights. :D

19. BucketHead8723

Apr 12, 2003
    Billy Boyd plays PIPPEN, not Merry.

20. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Bucket, guess I had them confused... Thanks.

21. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Was very sad to read that Jonathan Brandis, who starred as Lucas in 'SeaQuest DSV' TV series back in the 90's, died earlier this month. He was a good actor.

On imdb.com I found there is a petition to get SeaQuest DSV on DVD. Would be a good way to keep his memory alive. Go to:

http://www.petitiononline.com/seaQuest/petition.html

22. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Found these short videos you might enjoy :D

http://www.theviralfactory.com/movie/gift.mpg

http://moontruth.com/

23. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    When is a good movie coming out this year? Since Shoalin Soccer was pushed back again to August.

24. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    If you have the bandwitdh, go check out this movie . .

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/spiderman2.html

"Spite Your Face Productions Ltd. are proud to present their new film 'Spider-Man: The Peril of Doc Ock'. The short, featuring animated LEGO toys, is an action packed, comical take on the Spider-Man movies, commissioned by Sony Pictures, Marvel Studios and The LEGO Group to tie in with the release of 'Spider-Man 2.'"

25. hanshootsfirst

hanshootsfirst Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2001
    Well, as far as movies that are yet to be released, I do have high hopes for The Village.

And the extended ROTK will surely be of interest. I was only a passive fan of the LOTR series, but even I was blown away by it.

Anybody see Eternal Sunshine if the Spotless Mind with Jim Carrey? I thought it was the best movie of the year so far.

Sorry if it was already mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.