main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA *** Official Movie & TV Review/Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Kaui-Gone-Jim, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    After seeing a commercial for The Pianist I would have to say that I think it will win Best Picture. I wouldn't vote for it personally (doesn't look like my kind of movie), but the Academy has a history of giving Best Picture to films like that.

Let's also not forget that the Academy has a history of giving awards to people that have never gotten one and may never get one, but that have been nominated time and time again. They also have a history of snubbing actors that act childish (hence, Russel Crowe not getting Best Actor). And they rarely give an award to someone twice in a row.

I'm sure Harry Potter, Star Wars, SpiderMan, and TTT will all be in the running for Best SFX.

The Academy Awards really is more politics now than an award show.

2. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    Chicago (2002)
    Though I don't usually go for musicals (The Who's 'Tommy' I like), I did enjoy this film.
    Catherine Zeta really sings and dances nice -- and I heard she was pregnant too! (that kid must be a little dizzy?)

Peace,
    Jim

3. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Ok I don't think i have seen a review on this movie so here goes.

007 James Bond in Die Another Day.

This movie was fantastic. I am a big bond fan and have seen every movie. With that being said I was getting quite tired of the same old story lines/plot each time a new movie came out. This movie was different though. The story line and plot are much more detail and thought through. You also understand why Pierce Brosnan may be the best actor next to Sean Conery to ever play James Bond. I won't go to much into the plot, but let just say it has several tists that are unexpected and a joy to watch unfold. Not only that but it does have some Star Wars history as you may or may not no. The fencing scene in the movie was choreographed by the same person who assisted the saber duels in some of the Star Wars movies.

All in all this is not your typical Bond film, but it is perhaps the best Bond film I personally have every seen and would recomend it to everyone. Overall I give it an A-.

4. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    SRB, sounds like a movie I will have to see soon!
    Girls, Gadgets, and Guns - make Bond great.
    Twi'leks, Spaceships, and Blasters/Lightsabers - make SW cool!
    BTW, my favorite Bond movies are:
    Connery - You Only Live Twice (love Japan island setting, but where was Godzilla!)
    Moore - The Spy Who Loved Me (love Bond's car that turns into a sub)

Water Worlds...
    Some of my favorite series/films set in wet environments:

Voyage To the Bottom of the Sea
    SeaQuest DSV (1st year was best)

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Fantastic Voyage
    Das Boot
    Hunt for Red October
    Sphere
    The Abyss
    Splash!
    (and the bongo sub 'through the core' segment of TPM) :D

5. BobaFett-MP

BobaFett-MP Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2001
    Switching gears over to TV review....

Alias - By far one of the best shows I've watched. I love the show! And that's not due to the fact that Jennifer Garner is the star (although it REALLY helps!) It's got cool gadgets, action, explosions, cool stunts, and Jennifer Garner! On Sundays at 9pm on ABC.

Stargate SG1 - By far my favorite show to watch, I've watched every episode since the beginning. Not too happy that they killed off one of the main characters last season, but I really like the new replacement, Jonus. The latest word is that in season seven the character who died will be rejoining the team somehow. Should be interesting with a 5 man SG1 team. On the SciFi Channel every Friday at 9pm. (But for us it's 8pm because we get a delayed SciFi Channel feed through the dish network)

John Doe - Another new 'unknown' show that's really great! Involves a man who finds himself on an island, stranded, with no memory, knowing everything there is to know, and left with a brand on his chest of some symbol. It's his search for answers while helping out the police in their cases (he knows everything, literally). It's a REALLY good show. On Fox 11 Fridays at 9pm.

Band of Brothers - Who has not seen this masterpiece? I anxiously awaited the 10 episodes and watched them all. An EXCELLENT series, one I really wish they could have made into a full series. On my list of war movies, Saving Private Ryan rules at the top of the list, and most movies have no been able to touch it. But Band of Brothers (as a whole) got very very close and makes my #2. I actually bought that $74 6 DVD set the day it came out! Well worth the money!

6. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I'd like to add something about John Doe. Yes, it is a really good show. One VERY good thing they did, IMO, was that he only knows what's known. He doesn't know next weeks lotto numbers (they haven't been picked) and he doesn't know when you or I are gonna die. I think it's great cause that way he can't tell the future.

7. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    The Practice - Quite a good lawyer show. It has plenty of suspense and drama to keep you guessing. I watch this show every week after Alias. This show was on Sunday's at 10pm, but I think those are just repeats now. It's moving to Mondays at 9pm starting January 27th on Channel 7. This show is probably best described as being like some of the John Grisham novels (The Firm, I think). This is nothing like Ally McBeal (they had lawyers too).

And since I don't think I've seen it mentioned:
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer - This is a very good show that has had a whole season full of really great episodes. What could be better than a hot chick fighting vampires every week? Well, I know some things, but this is a family board :) Anyway, this season is turning out to be the best in a while. Buffy is having to go up against the first evil (which can't be killed) to try to stop it. Who knows how things will go. Even though Sarah Michelle Gellar will not be returning after this season, it is very possible that the show will continue with a different slayer. Airs Tuesday nights at 8pm on UPN. Next new episode airs on the 21st.

Angel - Buffy's sister show. Not nearly as good as Buffy, but until a couple of episodes ago quite fun and entertaining. Airs Wednesdays at 9pm on WB Ch 5 beginning on the 15th.

8. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    Did you catch last night's John Doe? That Lenny guy was a tough one for Doe! It didn't dawn on me until after he was in the coffin that Doe was tricking him!

I agree, I also like that fact. Even though he can't predict the future, he can make smart guesses, as we've seen when he goes to the Horse Racing Track ;) Wish I had that ability to draw up statistics!

9. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    This thread inspired me to post some of my favorite Anime series (they are TV, after all), but I got the OK from SRB to post an **Official** Anime thread, so for anyone who is interested, I will have a seperate topic up soon.

Domo Origato.

10. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    What happened to 'Firefly' on FOX? I like its mix of scifi and the old west thing! Friday, it's time slot is now taken by 'FastLame'. :p

Sunday at 7PM - a new episode of 'Futurama' on FOX! I can't miss this, so have to pass on seeing TTT (sorry).

Also, the final episodes of 'Farscape' have started showing on the Sci-Fi Channel.

Peace,
    Jim

11. DEWGOD01

DEWGOD01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    KGJ, I read somewhere it was put on the "back burner" so I don't think you'll be seeing any new ones anytime soon unless Sci-Fi or something picks it up. Which brings up something. Why when it comes to Futurama, or Firefly, or John Doe or any one of those shows that just appeals to a specific audience does it take so long for the appropiate channel to pick it up. Why did it take like five seasons for Cartoon Network to get around to showing Futurama? I could understand if it was in syndication like the Simpsons how they probably make more money off of that then they would on Cartoon Network but it's not...And what about the Sci-Fi network? There is like 500 channels out there about everything under the sun and it seems we are fed this crap so much and every once and awile we find a gem and they end up sweeping it under the carpet because they never give it a chance to catch on with people by moving when it's on, what days it's shown, by just taking it off the air with no explaination for weeks at a time. <sigh> Ok I'll get off my soapbox now...just bugs me they do that. It does look like the things are finally coming out in the wash and once again though not many shows made the cut as far as new ones. Hopefully they will be given another chance down the road or on another network. Only time will tell.

Umm....I hope I'm doing this edit thing right.. I just read this on aintitcool.com -
    "[Jan 09, 03] We have received confirmation from a source at 20th Century Fox that UPN has passed on Firefly. Thank you, everyone, for your tremendous support. "

12. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    Curious, which channel would you think John Doe belong on?

13. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Heh, never trust anything from AICN. I don't anyway. He's wrong more often than right. That said, FireFly had EXTREMELY low ratings, but the show was improving. Despite what some of us might think, some of the storylines were either bad or just didn't make sense. A few of the more recent episodes have been vast improvements over the earlier ones. I personally liked it. I won't miss it, but I did like it. If it doesn't get picked up by any other channel, which is likely, it'll give Joss more time to work on Buffy and Angel and finish the Fray comic series (you said it would be done this past December Joss!).

Unfortunately, when he finishes Fray and if Buffy doesn't continue, all we'll be left with is Angel (assuming that continues) and Buffy comics. Oh well, more time to watch Star Wars :)

14. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    I must say a few things about tonight's Alias for those who saw it. I was very bummed that Sydney gave up the crush thing with Vaughn, it was going so perfect! If only the CIA had their act together a bit more, maybe it could have been prevented. I would really like to see this 'thing' develop between the two.
    I'm glad to see Irina and Jack connecting, FINALLY.
    And once again, Salone pulls off another 'he's a really evil man, but has a heart...'

15. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Damn, I needed to sleep before work (the Empire must be compensated - LOL) and completely forgot about the new ALIAS. Yeah Britt, that show is cool, and JG is very easy on the retinas! :D

I did see Futurama before getting some ZZZ. They had some Trek Next Gen elements and even a doctor modeled after old 'Bones' McCoy from TOS!

Good night all...

16. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Well, I don't know if the whole crush thing will be killed that easily. Afterall, the show is only in its 2nd season. No reason why it can't be started up again later. I almost expected her to say that though. I figured maybe she just doesn't want to talk to her friend about it anymore.

17. Droid_Runner

Droid_Runner Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    One of my sentimental favorites on TV last week was
    'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' - its a bit like a British 'Wizard of Oz' with those Oompa Loompas and stuff.
    Actor Gene Wilder, who also is in 'Young Frankenstein', is just great as Willy Wonka.

"We are the singer of songs and the dreamer of dreams" - Willy Wonka

18. DEWGOD01

DEWGOD01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    Well, it (John Doe) would probably be put on Sci-Fi or something, since that channel and or USA since they seem to be the dumping ground for alot of shows that don't make the cut on "regular" network tv. It seems that most shows that don't make it are Sci-Fi type shows, ex for X-Files which is the anomonly. That and Star Trek but I think that is more because it has a following for 20-someodd years now. Beyond that unless you are one of the "big" three networks and give the show a prime spot does any show, sci-fi or not seem to make it. But, I am just one man with an opinion and that's all it is.

19. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    Ok not completely movie related but....
    When I was home for vacation my brother and I decided to go to the Plaid Pantry and get a ton of candy like the old days lol....Apparently Willy Wonka candy has not only brought out the old favorites that have been missing since I was a kid, but there are a ton of new ones...Like for example they have the regular Gobstopers and new ones with chewy centers....But the new ones that we couldn't stop laughing about.....The oompas...And yes, they even have a picture of an oompa loompa on them.... lol :p

20. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    You can't beat Nerds candies though...I am what I eat.

Quick, someone talk about TV before they lock this thread!!! Hehe. Actually, I'm addicted to 'Joe Millionaire' now. Thursday will re-show the 1st episode, which I missed, so I'm thankful for that. I just love all the trashy dating reality shows, like 'Blind Date'. I do watch 'Extreme Dating', though not very much, since I cannot stand Gillian Barberi (sp.), the hostess. My all-time favorites were 'Temptation Island (and its sequel), and 'Elimi-Date'. The latter was cool since the premise was to set up some random schmo on a date with like 5 different girls. No matter how much of a Gomer Pyle the guy was, you were at least treated to watching a bunch of dumb girls literally killing each other just for the sake of winning. Those shows are my after-work guilty pleasure, and I confess that only to you all here.

21. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm guilty of watching 'Joe Millionaire' too - LOL! And those dating shows, now and then. They are too funny. :D

22. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Our house always turns on to the Channel 5 morning news show. They do have good guests now and then, and the ladies are all beautiful - but that Mindy Barbani has a kind of Joker (from Batman) smile that is a little scary! Anyone else notice this?

23. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I watch their news show every morning as well and I honestly have never noticed that about her smile. I have noticed other things about her though ;)

24. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    L_J -- I knows whats ya mean! :D

25. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    hi guys; princess s, myself and my friend sharon got to go to sneak preview last night...as i signed a waiver saying that i wouldnt say anything, let me say this. the most gory movie i have ever seen. sharon turned green and left in the middle. PS stayed till the end, nothing scares her.
    my fav scifi movie: forbidden planet
    fav scary movie: house on haunted hill [original with vincent price]
    other good ones: day the earth stood still, earth vs the flying saucers, war of the worlds, it the terror from beyond space, planet of the vampires, rocketship XM, queen of outerspace, and a whole lot of others.
    liked TT, of course, spidey, and the latest james bond. looking forward to daredevil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.