main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA *** Official Movie & TV Review/Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Kaui-Gone-Jim, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    Will the conversation be only about how hot Jennifer is? :p

2. DEWGOD01

DEWGOD01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    Well, it'll either be that or "How many movies will Daredevil be in before his costume had nipples?" Oi....I fear for X-Men 2. I think some things should just be a one-shot deal and that's it. I think it's been proven over and over again with few exceptions that the sequels are usually not a good idea. But alas...different topic; On sunday night when I typically am watching Adult Swim in Cartoon Network I discovered that Comedy Central has started up with it's own version of said cartoon block. The only one of note for Star Wars fans is they are showing Undergrads, which used to be on MTV way back, oh like two years ago. Four guys that have grown up together now are in college together...somewhat... But, for those who aren't in the know there is one that is a total SW freak, putting most of us to shame. I had forgotten about this show till last night because on MTV they put it on at different times and whatnot. Suprise Suprise how many channels actually leave a damn show on at one time anymore. I don't think there were many episodes made but just thought I'd mention it. Also, is anyone watching The Shield????? Is that not the best damn show on tv, hands down today? Forgive me for rambling, unemployment has given me a chance to realize exactly how sad TV is 23 hours out of the day. :\

3. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Actually if there will be a group of us, it could be fun. I'll just ignore Affleck and concentrate on Farrell. ha ha ha lol Wait, Ben wears a mask, oh yes, this is definately doable. I won't have to look at him. :p

4. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    "How many movies will Daredevil be in before his costume had nipples?"

Well, as long as Joel Schumacher doesn't get his hands on it, none.

I don't know if I can support any movie with Ben Affleck in it though. I think the only movie I've actually paid to see that had him in it was Armageddon. I think my biggest problem with him now is that he replaced Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan (I've heard other things about why that happened that I won't get into here). I just don't think I can like him in anything now.

Of course, I could just convince myself that I'm going to see Jennifer Garner. Ah yes, that'll do. I might be able to go see it after all now :)

5. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm with you there, Lord jedi - "Only going to see Jennifer Garner" :p :p :p [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]
    Can't wait to be Electra-fied!

And, sorry I left off the Trilogy on list of awaited DVD's... but as a SW fan, wanting those is a given! :D

Dewgod - yes, many sequels do suck mightily (Batman Returns), but I do hope that X2 will be an exception. :)

Peace,
    Jim

6. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Barry we actually agree on something. Go figure :p

Not a Ben fan? Right on!

7. BobaFett-MP

BobaFett-MP Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2001
    Something I'd like to get on DVD, ALIAS!!!! I'd also like them to continue putting the Stargate SG1 series on DVD. It's be nice if they put a bunch of the Amazing Stories movies onto one dvd (Like 'The Mission'). John Doe would be nice to have on dvd.

Oh yes, Jennifer is the total reason why I want to see the movie :-D

8. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Yeah I read my EW last night and I SAW the reason why you liked the Superbowl commercial. Or really, it's what I DIDN'T see lol :p There wasn't much clothing on her!

9. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    It's a close tie with last Sunday's Alias when she was stepping out of the pool. Hope they continue this trend.....

10. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    It's a close tie with last Sunday's Alias when she was stepping out of the pool. Hope they continue this trend.....

I think last sundays was better. And I really hope they DON'T continue this trend. Talk about targeting the 16 year old male hormone. Alias is great and they don't need to stoop to the level of 7 of 9 in order to get good ratings. I think the last two eps have been a taste to get new viewers in and that's it.

11. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    With Episode IV as the first star wars film ever made. Empire is the greatest sequel of all time.

Great sequels:
    1. Mallrats
    2. Temple of Doom
    3. Goldfinger
    4. Blade II
    5. American pie 2
    6. Back to the Future 2
    to name a few.

I know some of these aren't pure sequels but they do continue in a line from the original with the exception of temple of doom which is historically before raiders.

12. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Ugh, Blade 2 and Temple of Doom as great sequels? I don't think so. Blade 2 was good until about halfway through the movie. Then it seemed like all the characters got dumb. And Temple of Doom just should never have been. IMO of course. And I don't know if I'd call Back to the Future 2 great, but it was definitely good.

And on a side note, I liked Batman Returns. Certainly not as good as the first, but I didn't think it was bad or sucky. All the ones after it blow chunks.

13. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    Gotta love that Batmissile! For a long, long time I wanted to get the batmobile toy that split into the bat missile. Also, that Batski Boat was really cool! (I still have that toy!)

14. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Mallrats, yes not technically a sequel, but definately one of my fave Kevin Smith/view askew films.

Temple wasn't as good as Raiders but I still like it much better than Crusade.

I didn't like the first Blade so I didn't bother to see the 2nd. Although I did like Stephen Dorff in it.

American pie 2--ten million times funnier than the first (but I do like the first one too). Can't wait for the third one! I still die laughing during the scene with the superglue/video tape/Smooth Criminal, the whole lesbian scene(we go, you go), and of course the phone sex scene when Stiffler is listening in.

Back to the Future 2 blew (as well as the third one). NOTHING was as good as the first. I can watch 2 & 3 only once in awhile as they are so boring....with the exception of my favorite scene.....
    "MC FRY!!!!!"

Although not technically a "sequel" in the sense of story line (ie like Star Wars), but more in the lines of continuing adventures (like James Bond films).....I personally thought AP-The Spy Who Shagged me was hilarious. I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants in the theatre(ditto for American Pie 2). I enjoyed AP-International Man of Mystery, but Spy was so much better!! When I went and saw AP-Goldmember, I expected it to be funnier than the other two and was extremely disappointed. With the exception of the opening scenes, it wasn't that great. Out of the 3 it was my least favorite. Spy had the best opening with the Jerry Springer, not evil enough idea...and the whole SHHH & Zip its from the 1st 2 films are hilarious.

Other Sequels...Godfather 2 was a decent sequel. And Halloween 2 was entertaining. Even though Scream is my favorite, I did enjoy all 3 films. I thought Harry Potter COS was 10 times better than SS. I did like LOTR TFOTR a LOT better than TTT.

AND--No one mentioned AOTC. I don't dislike TPM, but....AOTC was so entertaining, I almost rank it with the original trilogy....well almost....I would never give up my loyalty to Leia, Luke & Han.... ;)

15. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    I thought Goldmember was the funniest yet. I have the dvd here at home becuase I loved it so much. I love that 'improv fountain' scene, shadows on the curtain scene, and the mistaken subtitles. Very funny :-D

16. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    I also like all three Austin Powers movies - the 'shadow' scenes were also my favorites, in 'Spy Who Shagged' and 'Goldmember'. I almost die laughing everytime, when watching those parts! :p

"Free Enterprise" (stars William Shatner) -- This is a buddy movie about two sci-fi fanboys who also work in the movie business. I rented it out of curiosity, and found it to be a fun and funny film. Lots of cool references to the entire sci-fi/comics genre throughout.

17. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Dec 8, 2002
    How can you not like Temple of Doom. Harrison Ford.
    Data from goonies.
    A dude gets his heart ripped out while he's still alive.
    You obviously do not understand the power of the rock.

Blasphemy to diss Blade so.
    Vampires.
    People getting hacked up with swords.
    Any movie that has vampires getting killed has my vote.

Back to the Future is good. Not as good as the original but still good. I can watch Bif in any time period and I will laugh. Bif is definately the glue that holds that trilogy together.

I will respectfully disagree with you all.

As far as the Austin Powers flicks are concerned. Good in the begining, same recycled jokes over and over. I am a hardcore Bond fan and Mike Meyers has perverted a franchise rich in history and turned it into something that stinks. I think they are okay but not great by any meaning of the word.

Goldfinger is great. For your eyes only is great. Goldmember is good.

18. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    How can you not like Temple of Doom. Harrison Ford.
    Data from goonies.
    A dude gets his heart ripped out while he's still alive.
    You obviously do not understand the power of the rock.

I can not like Temple of Doom very easily. Harrison Ford is great, yes, but that movie wasn't. Data from Goonies was annoying (except in Goonies). A dude getting his heart ripped out while he's still alive is just lame. Sure, it looks kinda neat, but what the heck does it have to do with anything Indiana Jones?

Blasphemy to diss Blade so.
    Vampires.
    People getting hacked up with swords.
    Any movie that has vampires getting killed has my vote.

I wasn't dissing Blade. I was dissing the LAST HALF of Blade 2. Why would they go into the sewers without wearing their full body, hide from the sun, clothes. And when was the last time you saw light bend around corners like that? And what was the deal with the guy with the hammer? Why would you want to get that close to those things? Like I said, it was good until halfway through, then all the characters got stupid. I agree with your last statement though. And as an extra note, I LOVED Blade 1. That movie was just awesome.

19. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    FUTURAMA returns to FOX on Sunday nights, with all new episodes, on 3/2/03. :D :p "Yippeeeeeeeeee!"

Peace,
    Jim

20. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Ok first I have to say DATA ROCKS! :p :p :p
    He was NOT annoying as Short Round, he was hilarious!!! I can let you live ONLY because you said you liked him in Goonies---BEST MOVIE EVER!!! ;)
    Long live Data!
    As for any movie that kills vamps=good, well how about Lost Boys? I still love that movie. Cheesy but so fun! Plus it's the only movie I like Jason Patric in.

Now it's good we are on the subject of vamps because I had a Buffy Marathon this weekend. Too poor to buy the dvd seasons yet...I still had 1 spare tape of old favorites from when I actually HAD FX. (ie Cox Cable you suck!) I had become soooo deficent in Buffy-ness that I was not even aware of it. I use to always have FX and watched all the old re-runs religiously.
    So because I am FX-less, I have to rely only on tapes of season 6+ that I have on tape. Anyways the spare tape I had was my fave eps from Season 1-2, and I think 1 ep from season 3 maybe.
    Watched the nightmare ep, one of my faves. Then of course, I had a lot of tragic love Buffy/Angel eps. I have decided that I was right in thinking that the current season sucks complete and total *$&@#. (It was worse, going downhill last year as well.) The ONLY ep I really enjoyed at all last year was the musical, which is still my favorite all time Buffy ep. That and a little of the Buffy resurection thing.

I have decided that by far, part of the first season, most of the second, and part of the 3rd season were the best. It has slowly gone downhill from there.

My reasoning for this goes as follows (with some of my fave eps listed behind it):

1)Buffy/Angel love story=sad, tragic, forbidden love-these two were the best love story in the series--plus Angel was actually cool as a brooding good guy with a nasty (secretive at first)past--that was before his character turned to crap on ANGEL--ditto for Wesley

2)Spike/Dru/&Angel going bad=best baddies ever!

3)Xander/Spike=USE TO BE FUNNY!

4)Giles when he WAS GILES=sexy beastness here, loved it when he USE to be all about the stuffy British thing, with the whole secret "Ripper" use to be a bad boy in his past storyline...

5)Wesley the 2nd watcher=Giles got a little cooler and wasn't as stuffy and then Wes came and filled that stuffy Brit void...

6)Faith=coolest slayer ever. period.

7)Oz/Will love story=Oz was too cool and the love story between them rocked. It made up for Xander being a doofus and not realizing Willow was in love with him all those years.

8)They were in high school then! Teen angst is always the best kind of angst. Not fitting in, having to face growing up, unrequited love, facing monsters, and homework! :p

9)NO DAWN! YEAH!! With the exception of the ep where Buffy sacrifices herself for her sister and the world (Season 5 Ep#100-The Gift), and the musical ep (Season 6 Ep#106-Once More with Feeling), I perfer Dawn free episodes. Buffy & the Scooby Gang at their worst, were never as annoying and whiny as Dawn. Nor did they get into as much trouble.
    And that's saying a lot.

10)It was better when there were more characters, more places, other dynamics than just the immediate Scooby Gang (ie, Giles, Buffy's mom, the prinicipal, the mayor, the Bronze, etc.) Plus storyline wise it was better when the scooby gang WAS the scooby gang, they did their thing, solved the latest monster of the week and there still was the tradition of the Slayer, Watcher's Council, etc. Plus all the regular problems of everyday life.

MUST SEE EPS:
    Season 2 Ep#25&26 Surprize/Innocence--It's Buffy's b-day and what happens? Dru & Spike are trying to ruin it by their latest scheme to take over the world...Buffy finally gives it up to her boyfriend only to have him lose his soul and become the bad guy because of it. EXCELLENT EPISODE!

Season 2 Ep#29 Passion-Angel at his worst. Tormenting and killing Buffy's friends. All leading up to the big Buffy/Angel showdown.

Season 2 Ep #33&34 Becoming-Angel is evil & Buffy must save the world by killing him. No problem normally, but he gets his soul back right before she does it, ie becomes good

21. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    Lordjedi is right, BladeII was not that great. The only plot point that I gathered from that movie was that Wesley Snipes was Blade.

22. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Dec 8, 2002
    As that Mclaughlin group guy says. WRONG!

The correct answer is Blade 1 and 2 kick ass.

The Goonies DVD is great for Data fans because it has commentary with all the Goonies (except sloth who died RIP bro) and has cool footage of them all grown up during the commentary. Key, who is data, says next to nothing. but it is cool regardless.

Has anyone seen "George Lucas in Love"? I have it and it is funnier than hell if you are a Star Wars fan.

The Indidana Jones Trilogy is next in line after the holy trilogy in film. You all are blasphemers or at least heritics for slighting the films. I personally believe that Temple of Doom was written by the hand of God himself and handed down to the greatest storyteller of our time. Mother F'in George Lucas.

If you get that play on a film quote give yourself 10 points and a snootch to the nootch.

23. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    I've got the 'GL in Love' DVD, too. That was awesome, especially when you can turn on the 'pop-up' factoids. My favorite short on the dvd however is 'Swing Blade'. It's pretty money, baby.

24. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Oh Amy, where to begin. I guess I'll start with my favorite eps. Heh, this is sure to ruffle your feathers a little. My two favorite eps of all time are Hush and The Musical: Once More With Feeling.

Hush: BEST EPISODE EVER! The way they're all forced to do everything without saying a word. We see how good at lore Giles really is. The man looks at a bad picture of the demon, grabs a book off his shelf, opens it up and points at the demon. Absolutely amazing!

OMWF: I didn't think I was going to like this episode, but I absolutely loved it! I still listen to the soundtrack in my car. The way everyones true thoughts and feelings came out in song was brilliant! I love this ep.

Now, I can completely agree about Dawn. Well, mostly. Yes, she was really annoying at first, but they seem to have toned her way down. She's not nearly as bad as last season.

As for this season. We must be watching different shows since this is the best season they've had since season 3. Season 5 sucked big time and had all of about 5 good episodes in it. Season 6 started to get a little better, but Season 7 has been nothing but really good episodes throughout. And wait till you see tomorrow nights episode :)

Regarding Angels character on Angel. He was fantastic last week and should be at least as good this week since still no soul.

I must draw the line at the Oz/Willow love story or lack there of. There really wasn't anything happening between them. It's no wonder Seth Green wanted to leave the show. Got what he deserved though after he ditched Joss.

And I personally liked Kendra the best. Mmm, Kendra :)

I don't like stuffy Giles or stuffy Wesley. I love both of them the way they are now. I think I like Wesley more now though.

Gunn: "What changed you man?"
    Wesley: "I had my throat slit and all my friends tried to kill me."

I'd have to say that I agree with all your favs though.

I haven't seen the Lost Boys, but I hear it's pretty good. Actually, I've seen the end, and that looked pretty good to me.

Aaron: Blade 1 kicks ass. Blade 2 half kicks ass (no, I'm never gonna let that one down :p)

I personally believe that Temple of Doom was written by the hand of God himself and handed down to the greatest storyteller of our time. Mother F'in George Lucas.

After doing a quick check on IMDB, I am no longer surprised why Temple of Doom was not nearly as good as Raiders or Last Crusade. Yeah, George had a hand in it (he's not the best writer on the block), but so did a couple of other people that also wrote for Radioland Murders and Howard the Duck. Ugh! And before anyone pipes in that George also wrote Raiders and Last Crusade (both of which I loved), Philip Kaufman, Menno Meyjes, and Jeffrey Boam are also credited for Last Crusade, while Lawrance Kasdan and Philip Kaufman are the other credits for Raiders.

25. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    I don't go for many musicals (The Who's "Tommy" movie an exception), but the Buffy singing episode was very clever.

So, has everyone read about GL's recent announcement in Hollywood, that he says "No Go" for any DVD's of the original versions of Episodes 4, 5, and 6?
    He should follow Spielberg's example of the "E.T." DVD release, and include the original version on one disc, and the new super-duper edition on the second disc!
    Sad to think we might lose the original version some day, when our old VHS wear out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.