main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA *** Official Movie & TV Review/Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Kaui-Gone-Jim, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Good thing I have the LaserDiscs :) And I even have copies of those on SVCD.

2. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    AARON-
    Ok kudos to Aaron who clearly likes Kevin Smith films as well. You do have good taste my friend :p Well sometimes ;) ....
    I have to say Temple was my favorite growing up but I prefer Raiders to it now simply because to me, Raiders is a little sexier. Harrison yum!
    And George Lucas in love was hilarious! I totally agree.
    As for the Goonies dvd, you are talking to a person that had a bootleg copy of most of what was on that (not the commentary of course), but the behind the scenes, cut scenes, etc. wayyyy before the dvd came out. I have been obsessed with that movie since BEFORE it opened. It was filmed about an hour away from where I use to live. And yes, I have made the trek to Astoria to check out all the Goonies locations... As for others missing, well mama fratelli, mikey's dad and a number of others have also passed away unfortunately :( But you didn't bring up the best part of the dvd. My favorite line from Goonies (which I love to immitate over & over) is "You know I am wundering, whaaaat is in the baaag." They actually talk about this ON the dvd commentary AND everyone comments on how it's the BEST line and they make Key say it! THAT was awesome. I thought I was going to die laughing.

BARRY-
    Ruffle my feathers? NO WAY. I loved Hush. Very ingenious. How about when Buffy makes "the motion" with her hands, and we find out she MEANT to do a staking motion...That was hilarious!
    As for the musical, like I said before, that IS my favorite of all time Buffy ep. I was a tad worried before hand because I love the show, and I happen to love musicals and I was worried it may be kinda cheesy....Ok it was, but in the BEST way. EVERY single emotion, feeling, problem, etc. was brought to light in the most creative way! The lyrics, the music, everything was BRILLIANT! Never ever was I so impressed with Joss's vision as with Once More With Feeling. I kinda cheat and read spoilers and I knew before that Giles was on his way out (what ever happened to him having his own Watcher like show???)....but when he sang his song "Standing" to Buffy, ok let's just say I got a little teary a couple times during the show but I balled my eyes out there. I was like Giles cannot leave dang it! (I still think the show isn't HALF as good without him).

Ok...so as to the rest of it. Yes, Angel has been actually worth watching with him as Angelus. That is the ONLY reason I have tuned in lately. That and I actually like Fred now and want to see her with Wesley.
    I am totally shocked that Kendra is your fave. I would have guessed Faith for sure or at least Buffy. Maybe I was thinking Faith because of the whole Alias comments thing...but then again, you were the one that wanted less of the revealing stuff, so in second thought Faith is prob your least fave :p
    I am a huge Seth Green fan so I disagree that Oz wasn't the coolest. I loved his character and he & Willow were a great story line. Finally she got over Xander!
    But this season HAS been better the last 4 eps or so. Mainly ever since Giles was in the picture again :p But there is no way in heck that this season is as good as 1,2,or 3. It is in fact (if you know your Buffy well enough)copying some storylines from those seasons. It is repeating itself a little. Have you seen every ep? Maybe you missed some of the begining ones or don't remember. You're talking to a Buffy-geek here. Seen all eps, many several times. Own the companion books, etc.

Loved the whole Warren thing last ep though. And I have to say the part where (in the beg of the season)where all the old badies reappeared...THAT ROCKED!

Other notable characters I forgot. Harmony, Glory, Darla...and the Love Spell ep where Spike kidnaps Willow to get Dru to fall in love with him again..."I may be love's &*%$# but at least I'm man enough to admit it."

JIM-
    OMG! If Lucas is never going to release the originial version on dvd. Well that just sucks. Guess I'll have to invest in bootlegs too. Is there anyway to get a decent quality version of it?

ALSO--Barry--can you make a copy off the laserdisc version? Is th

3. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Ok my favorite tv shows of all time:

Twin Peaks, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, & The Simpsons

All inventive, hilarious, dark, creative and fresh, a twisted and distorted fantasy version of life, yet the reality and harshness of real life comes thru...

And I forgot, on the Buffy Musical, OMWF, yes I listen to that as well in my car, at work, you name it. The cd was supposed to come out that Xmas (the ep aired in Nov 01)...I was wearing my vhs tape that I taped it on out completely, so I downloaded and burned a copy of the songs that month. Been listening to it-AND singing along :p ever since. The real copy came out FINALLY last fall. Still haven't bothered to get it since I have the other but I will since there are also other songs on there from other eps.

Oh and I watch Actor's Studio on Bravo occasionally....Night before was the Simpsons cast. HILARIOUS. BEST EVER. I am keeping it on tape it was so funny. I couldn't stop laughing. He actually asked questions to the CHARACTERS (as well as the actors). If you missed it, d'oh!

I also occasionally watch Dinner for Five on IFC. Jon Favrau hosts. He has 4 different celebs every week. Last week was Penelope Ann Miller and she annoyed me so much I had to turn it off. There is a woman STUCK in the Hollywood fake appearances crap. It's really an interesting show because the stars let it all out. You get to see who REALLY is down to earth and who is as plastic as a barbie. This week was the best! Carrie Fisher was on. She & Ed Begley Jr. talked about the 70's and being high with John Belushi. It was so entertaining.

Princess Leia rocks!!

4. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Yeah, I really need to get a DVD burner. Soon, oh so very soon. Yeah, I can make a copy of the SVCD rip that I have. It's 3 discs, but you can watch it on most any current DVD player and any computer with DVD playback software.

Regarding Kendra. I probably should've said that Buffy and Kendra are my two favorite slayers. Look at Kendra. Mmm, Kendra. Mmm, Buffy and Kendra. Heh, I should stop there :p. I just can't stand Faith though. A lot of people like her attitude. I hate it. She's a pretty person, but I don't like her attitude.

Oh, and technically, every season has used ideas from the previous one. There are really only 7 unique plot types (can't remember what they are off hand). Everything else is just a repeat of those. If I had to guess, this season is shaping up to be kinda like Season 3 where Buffy had to kill the mayor in the end. The Mayor was having all his tough work being done by other people too. I guess I think this season is a little different because they know that they can't kill the first, they just don't know how to win. I think season 3 (might've been season 2) was also the season that the first appeared to Angel and tried to get him to stand outside during the sunrise.

As for having seen all the eps, yes, I have (maybe missed a couple). I started watching the show towards the end of season 3. I really wanted her to kill Angel (my sister and mom were all gaga over him). I've watched it regularly since season 4 though and I've seen every episode of Angel (Doyle rules!). I also have the first 3 DVD box sets of Buffy and I've watched through the first two (I was pretty sick for a few days last year, so I watched season 2 straight through). I have seen all the season 3 eps too, just not on the DVD. I can't wait to get season 6 on DVD so I can trash my SVCD copy of OMWF.

Heh, as for reading spoilers, I LOVE THEM! I just found a site that has story spoilers for about 5 episodes out. Some of the stuff isn't confirmed so it's in a different color, but OMG, I can't believe some of the stuff that might be happening. I was shocked reading it and I'll probably be more shocked when I see it.

In Hush, I assume you refer to when Buffy smacked down on the table and stupid Riley hit something else (while I was screaming at the screen to break the box, what a moron). Then, when she rolled her eyes and pointed, he got the clue. If you're talking about another scene, I don't know which one it is (and I don't have a copy of the ep yet :().

5. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Nope....I'm talking about when Buffy made a hand gesture shall we say :p

She MEANT to gesture the act of staking a vamp and it came across as something else...

I'm sure you can figure it out...I believe Riley, Willow, & Giles were in the classroom with her...Over head projector?

And as for Faith, she was bad assed and sexy. She was supposed to be bad, that was the point. A bad slayer, woooh... You know, just messing with the balance of good and evil. Like Anakin really. Good gone bad.
    And she's coming back at the end of this season. All I have to say about that is: It's about FREAKIN time. I hope they do have a Buffy/Angel crossover again too. I know because of the whole UPN/WB thing it's not likely, but when the show hits it's last season, they may...fingers crossed

PLUS....Doyle died. :( Last Dec of a drug OD. I never could see him as Doyle though, just as Becky's bf from Roseanne...it was too weird.

6. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I remember the scene now. Yeah, I remember laughing out loud cause you could tell what everyone else was thinking. LOL, yeah, that was funny.

I know because of the whole UPN/WB thing it's not likely, but when the show hits it's last season, they may...fingers crossed

You may not have to keep your fingers crossed to much longer. Don't be surprised if you get exactly what you want ;) Unfortunately, UPN has a new head guy. If you want to know more, I can post a link to an article on a website I found. Also, Alyson Hannigan had an interview in an issue of TV guide pretty recently. Some VERY good things are coming, but also some very bad.

7. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    ok barry....tell all...I haven't checked the spoilers pages since wayyy last year....details please!

8. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    http://spoiledrotten.tvheaven.com/

Aside from what's on that site, word is that Willow will be crossing over to Angel shortly (that's confirmed on that site). She'll pick up at least Faith while she's there and then come back over to Buffy. I have heard rumors that both Faith and Angel will come over to Buffy for the big finale. And, if you haven't read spoilers recently, you're not gonna believe what they say about Cordy. I don't believe it anyway, and I won't until I see it happen.

According to this site TrekWeb, Buffy will indeed be canceled. UPNs new chief only wants ratings winners and Buffy isn't quite that good. According to the article, if he had been in charge 2 years ago, they wouldn't have picked up Buffy anyway.

And one last little tidbit. According to the tv guide interview I read about on Usenet, Alsyon said that this season was also Angels last and since both networks (UPN and WB) were killing the shows that they told Joss he could do whatever he wanted to, crossovers and all.

And just from hanging out on IRC today (take these with a HUGE grain of salt), Joss has also been in talks with James (Spike) Marsters about a possible Spike spinoff. I personally think a Faith spinoff is FAR more likely, but you never know.

9. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Ok on the Faith issue, I am 100% positive that she is on Buffy later as I heard this ions ago and it has been "confirmed" by a bunch of different sources. So that one is a pretty definite.
    As for Angel/Buffy crossovers, this was the buzz on that before any talk of Buffy cancellation: As soon as Buffy moved to UPN, I read the higher-ups (ie writers, etc.) say that for crossovers to happen in the future, Angel has to be on the same network?.Angel has to be cancelled and UPN's contract then requires that UPN must pick it up. IF that happens then they planned to do crossovers again, but not if Angel is on WB and Buffy on UPN. Now at the time, there was NO PLAN to cancel Buffy and eventually Joss wanted the show to go to Dawn--YUK. Since there are talks of both shows going, I will have to say it sucks they might be cancelled but YEAH no Dawn show, YEAH for a Faith or Spike show, and YEAH FREAKIN YEAH for a crossover finale. I wouldn't have bet money on Angel being on the Buffy finale, BUT?if one or both shows are getting the axe, then yes, I believe it.
    WHAT HAPPENS TO CORDY??? PLEASE oh please tell me she dies a horrific death. :p Something gooey and ewwwie!
    I must say I am shocked that Alyson would talk about anything not officially oked by the network, Joss, etc. and already posted on the main sites?.weird. Usually everyone is super hush hush about stuff?.

10. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    WHAT HAPPENS TO CORDY??? PLEASE oh please tell me she dies a horrific death. :p Something gooey and ewwwie!

What's wrong with Cordy?! I mean, yeah, she used to be a stuck up bitch that was just some eye candy, but she's a lot better now. Still lotsa eye candy :D but she's a way better character now.

11. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Barry she sucks. She is worse now than before. She is by far THE most annoying character in the Buffy/Angel World. I LOVE Dawn compared to her.

CORDY=SUCKFEST, SUCK-O-RAMA, SUCKIEST OF ALL SUCKAGE

One more thing...She had a thing for Angel, always has(and Buffy is his true love HA HA HA!!!)....helped raise his son, then screwed his son, THEN tries to get with Angel, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww ewwwwwwwwwwwww

12. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Ok, yeah, that bit was ewwwwww. Cordy and Connor *shudder* Yuck! But I still like Cordy. I can't stand Connor. And Dawn, oh dear Dawn. Only 1 more year :D

Cordy was good until this season. I liked her with the visions and I thought getting demony powers was even better.

13. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    OMG! They're cancelling John Doe?! Please someone tell me this isn't true.

14. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    CONFIRMED: Angel WILL be crossing over to Buffy

Angel crosses over to Buffy

Well, not totally confirmed, but it looks VERY likely. Yay, Buffy and Angel together again!

EDIT: And rather than keep making new posts, here's some info on the possible Faith Spinoff

15. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    I think of Cordy=Phoebe on Charmed. Eye candy, can't act, show was 10 times better when their character was how it was ORIGINALLY written BEFORE they got a big head and more money cause the show was doing so well and whined to change their "bitchiness/twitiness/annoyingness". (Kelly on 90210 ALSO had this problem)?.And the shows would be better without them.

That and I can't stand the real life bs around them. Apparently Charisma is the only Buffy cast member that is nasty to fans, and this was AT a convention?.That and Alyssa was hired LAST on the original cast of Charmed. First were Shannen & Holly Marie, so Alyssa came on and trouble started between her & Shannen yes?..But I think because Shannen is labeled a bad girl, she always gets blamed for stuff?.case in point?
    Here were the complaints against Shannen:
    1)She had to be billed first (even though she WAS the first hired and was the top star on the show when it started-so she was SUPPOSED to be billed first)
    2)She had to wear only designer clothes
    3)She had to be photographed in the center place when the 3 of them were photographed (even though the show started with her as the oldest sister and always the one who had to look out for the others, as well as the senior cast member)
    4)She complained not enough shows were about her character

All that was bunk, here?s what's going on now?.
    1)Alyssa gets top billing, even though that SHOULD have gone to Holly Marie(being the most senior of the cast) but she isn't a priss about that stuff.
    2)They ALL wear even more designer clothes now, in fact the clothes are 10 times more expensive and more revealing and sexy
    3)Alyssa is now ALWAYS in the center of the photos, when it should be Holly since she is the oldest sister, oldest cast member, etc. now
    4)Almost every single show is now about Phoebe, Alyssa's character. I was fine with this when it was the Phoebe/Cole forbidden love thing, but now she has to be the basis for every story?.

It's no surprise that Shannen left. Alyssa has now made it her show. And I don't enjoy the show even 1/2 as much as I use to. It USE to be about 3 sister witches.

16. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    I don't know what in the hell you guys are talking about.

I don't watch TV outside of Jackass reruns and Spiderman cartoons.

So putting Buffy aside I am going to list the top 10 directors of all time and a film that proves it and you all can cap on it if you want.

Top 10 directors ever.
    1. George Lucas (A new Hope)
    2. Kevin Smith (Clerks)
    3. Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction)
    4. Martin Scorsece (Goodfellas)
    5. Francis Copolla (Godfather)
    6. David Lean (Lawrence of Arabia)
    7. David Fincher (Fight Club)
    8. Robert Zemekis (Back to the Future)
    9. Peter Jackson (Fellowship)
    10. Richard Donner (Superman)

There you go. Some would argue that Cameron or Spielberg belong but that is my list.

17. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Amy: I personally think they're all eye candy, though Alyssa is definitely more than the others :D That's the only reason I sometimes watch it.

I probably feel the same way about Seth Green as you do about Alyssa. Here's a guy that doesn't feel like his character is going anywhere so he tells Joss he wants out. Then, when Joss tells him that he can work on some more stuff for him, he just up and leaves. Joss freaks out and writes the story around him. Then he comes back and wants to be in a few more eps. So Joss says (paraphrasing here) "Ok, we'll have an ep where Willow tells you she's fallen for someone else and that she's no longer in love with you." (something to that effect). Ah, perfect. Joss put it quite bluntly at comic-con (I think) last year when he said "Don't screw with me, I'll kill your character". And that, in case you didn't know, is why Oz is gone :)

18. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    Barry,
    You say that an SVCD will play on most any DVD player? :D I've seen SVCD's on eBay, so this is good news! :p

Amy,
    I read that over 70% of SW fans say they want BOTH versions of the OT on DVD -- we can only keep a new hope that Yoda and the Force will let GL see the light in putting both versions out. :)
    As for 'Charmed', I think Holly Marie is the most beautiful and classy (sexy too!) of the bunch!

19. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Aaron,
    Great Director's list! :D

Here's a list of my...

Ten Most Favorite Directors:

Steven Spielberg - E.T., A.I., CEOT3K, etc.
    Stanley Kubrick - 2001, Dr. Strangelove, etc.
    George Lucas - ESB, ANH, AOTC, etc.
    James Cameron - The Abyss, True Lies, etc.
    Phillip Kaufman - The Right Stuff, Henry and June
    Byron Haskin - War of the Worlds, Robinson Crusoe On Mars
    Ridley Scott - Blade Runner, Alien
    David Lynch - Dune (original)
    Robert Zemeckis - Contact, Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Leonard Nimoy - Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home

Peace,
    Jim

20. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    On PBS now is a series called "The Greeks". Watched one episode Tuesday night.
    It is narated by Liam Neeson (Qui-Gon Jinn), and very interesting.
    Last night's ep was about Athens and Socrates.
    (Remember 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure', where they call him 'So-Crates' :p )

21. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Jim-I highly agree with you. Holly is beautiful and classy. She of course was also the peacemaker in real life between Shannen & Alyssa...THAT in itself says a lot! ;)

Watched Buffy tonight and I have to change my comments. This season officially is on it's way to rocking hard! EXCELLENT STORYLINE!

Can't wait for Faith, Angel, etc....ah but it is sad it's all ending...sniff sniff lol

22. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Not to nitpick KGJ, but Georgey boy only directed Eps 1,2, (most likely 3), and 4. Irvin Kershner directed ESB.

And Angel may not be quite done yet. As you could see from the links I posted, WB will be deciding in May. If it's still doing well, I have no doubt they'll renew it.

23. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    Not to nitpick? But Irvin was telling George's story. When people think of Star Wars they think of the Man. Not Irving Kershner.

Jim,
    The only one I would argue with is Kubrik. I hate all his films except for Full Metal Jacket. I can't even watch most of the others.

As for Cameron, his masterpiece in my opinion is Aliens following up on the great work of Ridley Scott.

I don't even know who Byron Haskin is. The rest are pretty good picks.

I forgot to mention Cameron Crowe who wrote Fast Times at Ridgemont High. He also wrote and directed Say Anything, Singles and Almost Famous. He also wrote and Directed Vanilla Sky which is a big piece of crap which knocked him off my list. He does get points for being married to Nancy Wilson of Heart which is a kick ass band.

24. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    AHA! Aaron I was going to remind you about Cameron Crowe, but you posted exactly my thoughts...
    He rocked with Say Anything & Singles, but Vanilla Sky ruined it...Didn't like Almost Famous really either...it was ok...

Tim Burton for Edward Scissorhands alone, let alone Batman...yes he's had some bad films as well, but no director is perfect.

I don't care what anyone says....
    John Hughes rocks! He wrote and directed quite a few of them (like Cameron does)
    His films got me thru adolescence. It doesn't get ANY better than 16 candles, but he's also responsible for some of my other favorite 80's flicks:
    Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, European Vacation, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Career Opportunities......
    Plus some other somewhat funny 80's /90's ones like Vacation, Xmas Vacation, The Great Outdoors, Uncle Buck, Mr. Mom, Planes,Trains, Automobiles and Home Alone...

Another notable director is David Lynch. LOVE his stuff. Always bizare, but always creative. And yes, I DID get the meaning of Mulholland Dr. lol

Chris Columbus....
    Harry Potter
    AND he helped Spielberg write Goonies...it was based on Spielberg's idea but he is credited with the script. For that alone, the man is a god. lol

"You know I am wundering....Wat is in da baaag"

25. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Aug 19, 2002
    Friday went to see DareDevil at the Block. Went looking in a store selling huge bean-bag furniture, and what was playing on the big screen inside, but Goonies. :D

BTW - DareDevil rocks! The new X-Men trailer was cool, and saw Sean Connery in new trailer for LXG - League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Only just heard about the comic, and the movie is already coming out - now that is fast! :p

Barry - what can I say... but, "D'Oh!" :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.