main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA *** Official Music Review/Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Princess_Skywalker_, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    Does anyone like the Pixies?

They are a little known and short lived band(87-91)that heavily influenced Nirvanna amongst others.

Surfer Rosa is their second album and is one of the best albums in the history of rock and roll.

2. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    Aaron, I have heard of both The DropKick Murpheys and The Pixies but I never listened to them.

The Who-sorry no. Not my style.

As for the Clash. I do like a lot of their stuff. Should I stay or should I go...Still love that song, the BEST! But Rock the Casbah---that was THE most annoying song ever. When I hear it I STILL cringe.

Plus the whole image of the Sex Pistols, Johnny Rotten, etc. was kinda cooler. Well it cracks me up because he is STILL the same way. He was on an episode of Judge Judy and he was hilarious in it. He actually agreed to try a case on tv. I couldn't stop laughing.

I thought Sid & Nancy was a pretty good movie. Courtney Love was in it. I heard she had begged and pleaded for a role in it at the time. Trying to establish her image? lol

Here's a link to an MTV article about the episode:
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1431465/19971023/story.jhtml

3. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    ok...just whats wrong with the who? or led zepplin, or iron butterfly? how about queen?

4. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Queen rocks all the way....

I still sing Bohemian Rhapsody at the top of my lungs, with all the hand motions from Wayne's World :p (tear, etc.)

But my faves are actually Killer Queen, Somebody to Love, and Another One Bites the Dust--which I remember doing an after school sports aerobics class to :p

I really love George Michael's version of Somebody to Love. It's on his Greatest Hits double cd set which I listen to all the time. The "For the Heart" cd is amazing! Such becautiful music on there. Jesus to a Child, You Have Been Loved, and old favorites like Kissing a Fool, Careless Whisper and Praying For Time.

5. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    There are some pieces of music that have the most beautiful guitar solos, etc. Some of my faves:

When the Children Cry-White Lion (Ok I admit it, this song still makes me cry-the video was also cool, all in B&W, best is the opening guitar which starts real quiet, then gets louder and the guitar in the middle of the song)

Love Song-Tesla (the whole song rocks, but the opening guitar is amazing!)

November Rain-Guns n Roses (the guitar in the middle of the song (when Slash rocks out)being the best, but the whole song rocks. The changes throughout it are amazing. GnR truly kicked butt in their time)

More Than Words-Extreme (The harmony on this is awesome. The extended version is my favorite)

Epic-Faith No More (the end with the piano-and in the video the fish flops to it, too cool)

6. jedi_janie

jedi_janie Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    alright girl! You rock! Bringing back memories of my metal head days...

Tesla is an awesome band all around...

7. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    OMG Jane metal head??
    ME:NO WAY??
    JANE: WAY!
    ME: NO WAAAAAAAAAAYY!
    JANE: WAYYYYYYYY!
    ME:EXCELLENT!

8. jedi_janie

jedi_janie Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    Great memory....

getting the "munchies" at a Metallica concert in 1989....

9. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Yeah I went to some very cool outdoor concerts. There was so much smoke you got a contact high, even outdoors.

One of the BEST was Pearl Jam, Neil Young, Blind Melon.

This was during the Ten album. BEST of theirs by far, plus we got to hear new stuff that was on the next album, ie Daughter, etc.

Entire families were on blankets passing pipes around. Young and old alike sharing. It was the weirdest & coolest thing I have ever seen at a concert. Pearl Jam to Neil Young is quite an age difference.

10. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Dec 8, 2002
    The Who rule. I don't know what you are talking about. Quadrophenia is one of the greatest albums of all time.

Sid doing "My Way" on the great rock and roll swindle is cool but the Clash are the best brit punk band. Sorry to disagree but a million gajillion immitators can't be wrong.

I do like GNR November rain video. Their best work by far outside of appetite for destruction.

11. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    Aaron -- The Who-> are said to be the original 'Loudest Rock Band Ever', and rightly so!
    When everyone was into Jimmy Page or Frampton (both of which I still listen to and love), Pete Townshend was my guitar hero back in h.s. -- I used to play 'Pinball Wizard' then, with the acoustic intro and all!

Peace,
    Jim

12. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Dec 8, 2002
    Pete is still my hero but I'm a little bummed about what has happened in the news lately. I hope it isn't true but I will still love my Who records. I saw them the last time they played at Irvine when John Entwistle was still alive and it was one of the greatest shows I've ever saw. Zach Starky played drums and if I closed my eyes I could've sworn it was Keith Moon. Awesome show.

About Queen. They do rule also. My favorite song is Fat Bottom Girls and I have the 7" with Bicycle Race on the B-side. I love both songs but Freddy says he doesn't like Star Wars during Bicycle Race. When I sing the song at karaoke I always say I DO like Star Wars. Freddy RIP.

About soundtracks. I have Queen's "A kind of Magic" which is the unofficial soundtrack of Highlander and is incredible. If anyone loves Highlander I highly recommend this record.

13. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Alrighty...I like some really well known bands:

Creed
    Nirvana
    Metallica
    Def Leppard
    3 Doors Down

and some not so well known bands:

Finger Eleven - If you like metal music, you HAVE to check out this band! They are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Planet X - A progressive metal band from Australia...another really, really good listen
    Chevelle
    12 Stones
    Virgos Merlot

That's all I can think of right now.

But I must say that I got the new Nirvana CD and it ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this CD! :D

14. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Dec 8, 2002
    NIRVANNA RULES.

But they are not the greatest Seattle band ever.

Best Seattle Bands in order.
    1. Soundgarden
    2. Nirvanna
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Heart
    5. Alice in Chains

Greatest Seattle Musician Ever.
    Mr. Jimi Hendrix

Band of Gypsys retitled Live at the Filmore East is the best Hendrix album ever.

15. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    I love Pearl Jam best. Nirvana/Heart tied for 2nd, Soundgarden 3rd, Alice in Chains 4th.
    Biggest regret ever was not going to the Nirvana concert year before he died.

Saw both Pearl Jam & Soundgarden in concert, Pearl Jam was better. No contest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.