main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official NBA 2004-05 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Darth_Banal, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Republic Royalty

Old Republic Royalty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 1998
    I just don't like him. I've never seen any coach act more petty, or whine about the refs more, or act more self-important.

And, I'm not saying he hasn't been a good coach. But, he's never had mediocre (or worse) personnel. I can't wait to see him with the big pile of crap they have over in Lakerland right now.

2. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    After MJ retired Phil Jackson was able to get 55 wins out of the Bulls with a terrible guard named Pete Myers as Jordan's replacement and Scottie Pippen becoming the focal point of the team. However the next year the Bulls were only 34-31 when Jordan returned. Jackson's gift was getting Jordan to believe in a team concept and for getting the team to believe they could help Jordan. Whether or not he can accomplish the same thing with a Kobe led Laker team is the question that I think will determine his status of elite coaches. From all accounts Kobe is a bigger pain than Jordan was, however Jordan was liked by his team-mates. The Laker season will come down to egos, and it should be fun to watch because I don't think Kobe is willing to sacrifice his.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Old Republic Royalty posted on 7/3/05 8:43pm
    I just don't like him. I've never seen any coach act more petty, or whine about the refs more, or act more self-important.

And, I'm not saying he hasn't been a good coach. But, he's [i]never[/i] had mediocre (or worse) personnel. I can't wait to see him with the big pile of crap they have over in Lakerland right now.
    [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]As if Popovich wasn't whining & petty when he complained about Fisher's .4 shot in last year's playoffs.[/color]

4. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    actually, even though Pop put in an complaint to the league, he knew it wouldn't be overturned. It was one of those 'You have to give it a shot' things. And that was all that was said on the matter. The response was the game lives and dies by the clock. When the Spurs lost to Memphis before this years play-offs, the refs allowed Mike Millers shot to count, even though it was released after the shot clock had expired. They said "the clock started to late, so if it had started on time, he would have got it off on time" and Pop never said a thing. Very hipocritical, but nothing was said.

You'll actually notice Pop doesnt whinge and complain. He always gives the others props. However Pop is very unique on that. There aren't many like him around.

5. cmdrwillard

cmdrwillard Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    You'll actually notice Pop doesnt whinge and complain

???????

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    From all accounts Kobe is a bigger pain than Jordan was, however Jordan was liked by his team-mates.

Not liked. Feared and respected, and rightly so.

7. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Yeah... Jeff Van Gundy doesn't whine about the refs more then Phil Jackson. :rolleyes:

8. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    You'll actually notice Pop doesnt whinge and complain

???????

You disagree?? I challenge you to find a complain or a whinge from Pop.

9. Old Republic Royalty

Dec 23, 1998
    No one, with the possible exception of Mark Cuban, whines about the refs as much as Phil Jackson.

And the most annoying thing about that was that he's been the coach of two of the teams that benefit the most from the suspect refereeing in the NBA.

And, say what you will about Pop -- he's not a whiner. He may be occasionally gruff, boring, even rude and imperious -- but not a whiner.

10. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have a Spurs fan.

11. Old Republic Royalty

Dec 23, 1998
    As if I ever acted like I wasn't.

I was also somewhat of a Bulls fan (and, unlike most people, actually lived there... be it a few years before the Championship years). Phil Jakcson is a whiner.

Anyone but a Laker fan knows that.

12. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    ^ was that a reference to me dashy? I've always been a spurs fan :p And as a Lakers fan, you'll have to admit he has given your teams nothing but respect.

No one, with the possible exception of Mark Cuban, whines about the refs as much as Phil Jackson

Larry Brown, George Karl. Heard nothing but whinging from them all post season.

13. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    So you're a bandwagoner then? Following that logic, I presume you were a big Pistons fan at this time last year as well?

14. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    Summer league is starting in Vegas this week.

15. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    How do you think that Manu got all those terrible calls in the postseason? It's cause Pops knows how to play the refs....he puts bugs in their ears early in the game so when the game is on the line, he has them leaning his way. He's a genius at this, and it shows in how many bad calls went San Antonio's way...especially with Manu (lower my head and charge, grab and pull cause I can't play real defense) Ginobili.

16. Old Republic Royalty

Dec 23, 1998
    George Karl, Jeff Van Gundy, Larry Brown... all tend to make good sound bite comments about refs.

Phil Jackson makes constant little underhanded comments.

And Pop actually irritates me after a game that appears called against the Spurs. I'm thinking in my head "say SOMETHING about the reffing." But nary a word. (With the notable exception of a 0.4 formal protest.) And, in the end, when I'm more rational, I respect him more for it.

*sigh*
    This time last year I was still in mourning over that stupid Fisher shot.
    *sigh again*

If I'm a bandwagon fan I've been on this bandwagon a long time. But, I don't need to explain myself to you.

17. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Of course you don't.

18. Old Republic Royalty

Dec 23, 1998
    I only said that because I started to type out what teams I'd been a fan of and why... and realized it was an incredibly boring read. :) So be happy I spared you all.

Does anyone have any comments on the draft? Or free agent deals currently looming?

As far as the draft... I am undecided about the wisdom of drafting Bogut at #1. He seemed a really weak choice. However, I'm not sure that there were any true good #1s out there. So maybe on off years you DO draft for position, instead of best available.

I'm thinking it won't really matter because Milwaukee loses Michael Redd to Cleveland anyway. Which might be better off for them in the long run. I don't think Redd was quite worth the contract they were offering him.

I think the Celtics did well to get Green that low. And Ainge seems to be a better GM than coach.

And as far as draft coverage, anyone wish TNT still had it?

Does ANYONE like Stephen A. Smith?

I'm glad Ray Allen is staying with Seattle. I'd like to see that team retain most of its players. With so many free agents... who knows.

Who will the Lakers pick up?

Will Detroit keep LB? Does it really matter? 'm not sure how important he is to their success.

Does anyone else feel deprived of real sports during baseball season?

19. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    It appears that Larry Hughes will sign a contract with the Cavaliers in the 50-65 million range. Hughes definitely isn't Michael Redd or Ray Allen but he can help LeBron.

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Good news for Suns fans. That means Cleveland won't go after Joe Johnson, which leaves Atlanta as the big contender for him. I'd like to think JJ has enough sense not to go to an NBA wasteland like that.

21. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    How are the Suns going to be able to afford all their players? Nash is almost making max, Marion is making max, Apparently they will be matching the max offer from Atlanta for JJ, soon Amare will be getting a max contract.

22. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Apparently Stromile Swift will be coming to Houston link

Good news for Rockets fans :D

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I can't believe Larry Brown is gonna leave the Pistons. Sure he is the nomad of NBA coaches, but for goodness sake he lead the Pistons to back-to-back Eastern Conference titles & 1 title. This isn't like Phil Jackson leaving the Bulls in '98 when the Bulls were dismateled, everybody is staying in Detroit. What the hell is Larry Brown gonna do now, coach the Knicks?[face_plain]

24. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    Flip Saunders replaces Brown in Detroit.

25. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    [face_plain]

The NBA is so un-entertaining it's no longer funny.

Good for Flip. I'd not mind making twenty million like he will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.