main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official **NON-SPOILERS** AOTC music discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Potter

Darth_Potter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2001
    im just gonna add this post to make it 100 replys (heh heh) i really think they should have the fett theme but for jango not boba . (i know that was random)

2. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    TFN posted a story on Williams. He talks about the Ep2 & 3 scores. Here's a scan of the story as printed:
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/usatoday.jpg]

3. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Sounds like the ending to Episode III will be spectacular if John Williams loves it.

:D

4. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    Darth Potter:

Music from ESB was re-used in ROTJ. When Lando and Wedge first approach the DSII's reactor ("There it is") the music is the same as when the Falcon plucks Luke from the bottom of Cloud City. ITs not that way on the ROTJ SE CD, just in the film.

So, it would not be unprecedented for previously released music to be in the film.

5. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    I thought the end space battle in RotJ had some pretty rough "cut 'n paste" jobs that seemed pretty low quality in sound. Even in the soundtrack.

[face_plain]

6. Darth_Potter

Nov 2, 2001
    it did sound that way. and i knew that i just ment id rether have new music but around the old famous themes

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I was just thinking of this- So far all 3 actual trailers for the prequels (2 TPM ones and AOTC "Mystery") have begun with quiet, subdued music leading to louder, more action music. Now, wouldn't it be cool for the new trailer coming out on with Harry Potter to start off using Boba Fett's motif? It's quiet, it's subdued, and it's forshadowing Jango and Boba.

Wouldn't that be cool?

8. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    That is cool, Sithman, but I'm not sure that would fit well with what we know about the next teaser, namely a lot of dialogue between Anakin and Padme.

Getting back to the article on Williams, this struck as very interesting:

Just as 1999's Episode 1: The Phantom Menace and next summer's Attack of the Clones are prequels to director George Lucas' Star Wars movies, Williams is deliberately fashioning scores for the upcoming films that are meant to sound as if they precede his earlier work on Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

"It's composing backwards, and you can hear it if you listen very carefully," Williams says. "I don't know if it's ever ben done before."

Williams is admitting that he's almost doing some "backwards engineering" to the prequel scores so they remain consistant with the OT scores. I haven't read or heard that before anywhere else. Very cool.

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Hmmm, good point, since the beginning of this new trailer is focusing on the Anakin/Padme thing. Aw heck, I can't wait anyways. :D

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    All three of the teaser trailers for Episode II are out. Two of them use Duel of the Fates very prominently. I wonder if this is an indication that we will indeed hear this theme somehow in the film. I know they are using pre-existing music for these trailers but it works SO well in the Forbidden Love trailer, almost better than it worked in TPM! I for one would love to see it and am REALLY excited about the score for this film that is shaping up to be incredible.

11. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Hmmm, first I just wanted to say how awesome I thought Leia's Theme fit into that scene when Ani and Padme meet again. I LOVED IT! :D

Also, I wonder if DOTF will be used in the Obi/Jango scene... I hope not, I'd like something new. :)

12. Darth_Potter

Nov 2, 2001
    or amybe they could use the unused song

13. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    This has probably been discussed before, but how do you think John Williams will handle the music for the night club sequence? Do you reckon he'll go with something similar, like the cantina music, or will he do something electronic, similar to Blade Runner? Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I've been thinking about this for awhile!

14. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Actually, suprisingly, no one HAS talked about it! I've thought about it occasionally, but never really posted my thoughts on it here.
    Anyways, I've wondered as well whether JW will go for move the Matrix nightclub style music or more the Cantina Band style. Personally, I hope it's a more Matrix Nightclub style music. After all, the Cantina Band was a bar, not a seedy, dirty nightclub.

Another reason I think the AOTC music will be better than TPM (even though I loved TPM) is that we get another love theme (our 4th) and another bit of source music played by a band (our 3rd)! Coolness!

15. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    I've read in an interview that John Williams has stated that Duel of the Fates will make a DEFINITE comeback in Episode 3 because he SPECIFICALLY WROTE it for Episode 3.

According to Williams, the song bears significant relevance to teh finale of Episode 3 and when he presented the idea and the song to Lucas, Lucas was very impressed and decided to go for it.

Hence......I think Duel of the Fates will make an understated appearance in Attack of the Clones.

On the other hand........i'd be REALLY impressed if it ended up in the finale of Episode 9. wouldn't that make a lovely book-end to the score of the saga?

16. pianoman02045

pianoman02045 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    Well back to the bar scene music i heard from www.jwfan.net who heard from ain't it cool news .com that they were doing a really cool remix of the Cantina Band song itself and that they were gonna have the music video with it alot like they did with DOTF.... It leaves me wondering.

17. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Remix of Cantina Band? Noooooooooooooooooo! I want new music, danget! The music video thing I would totally support if it was to NEW music- but a REMIX? NO! NO! NO! NO!

18. pianoman02045

pianoman02045 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    i agree with u sith man - there should be new music

19. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I think DotF will show up in one form or another in AOTC, but not in a big part. Remember, he has to remind people of TPM, but yet phase the theme out seeing as how it's not in the OT. He did say he was building backwards.

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Wow, so many good ideas and speculation here.... ;) :D

I think that DotF will be used in AOTC (maybe just a little hint, but it still be there). And it would be cool if the Clonetroopers' theme (or motif) was a modified version of the Stormtroopers' theme from ANH. After all, Stormtroopers originated from the Clonetroopers, didn't they? ;)

I saw the FL trailer and I think that Leia's theme fit perfectly with Anakin/Padme romance... [face_love] I hope that JW will make the AOTC love theme something like a mix btw. Leia's theme, and the "Luke and Leia" theme. They're both really beautiful pieces of music, and I think that a mix of them, plus something original would make a great love theme for Anakin and Padme. :)

Of course, we'll definitely hear themes such as the Force theme, Yoda's theme, Vader's theme (of course, only as a subtle hint like in TPM), and I think Anakin's theme will be changed - more bold and mature. :)

21. Crimson_Jedi

Crimson_Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    First, I'd like to discuss the Jango/Boba Fett theme with you folks.

I really wonder what Williams will do with the "Departure of Boba Fett" music from Empire. Will he apply this to Jango in AOTC? Does Williams consider that to be the Fett motif? Or will Williams compose new music for Jango?

Let's say that he sticks with the Fett motif from ESB. Let's assume that Williams and Lucas decide that the action in the film justifies using the motif. Let's say that Williams also wants to do his composition-decomposition deal as he did with Anakin's theme and the Imperial March. If this is his approach, I think that the Fett music should be stronger in AOTC than in ESB. Williams doesn't always have to weaken and soften original trilogy themes when he does his composition-decomposition thing (e.g. Anakin's theme). Since Jango in the trailer seems more energetic and powerful than the Boba we saw in ESB and ROTJ, it seems fitting that his music be more dynamic. Don't get me wrong, I thought the ESB Fett music was BRILLIANT. I'm just trying to figure out how Williams might apply that music to AOTC. What do you folks think? Did you like the original Fett music? Do you associate that music with Fett himself, or do you think of it more as "departure" music as Han is carted out of Cloud City?

Second, I want to talk about the nightclub music. Can we substantiate that rumor about the Coruscant night-club music being a remix of the Cantina theme with an actual report from the aint-it-cool-news website? I'd like to get a sense of the veracity of that report.

I was hoping for new Star Wars bar music. We already have remixes of the Cantina music. The Trotter Trio did a piano jazz version with sax. There's a lounge album of Star Wars music that had a version. Why should AOTC have a Cantina remix when others have done the same? I want new Star Wars club music. I think techno might make sense on a techno planet like Coruscant.

22. Crimson_Jedi

Nov 9, 2001
    Hello again! I'm interested in hearing your opinions about the issues I raised in the post above. Thanks!

23. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    I've never heard of this Cantina remix rumor in the nightclub and I doubt that it's true.

24. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Crimson, Boba Fett's motif is the bassoon cue at the beginning of track 3 on disc 2 of TESB. It's not "Departure of Boba Fett". If you read the little insert/booklet inside the ESB CD, it distinctly says that THAT is Boba Fett's Motif. :)

25. Crimson_Jedi

Nov 9, 2001
    Sithman -- Thanks for the clarification. I need to relisten to the Departure of Boba Fett music to hear whether the official Fett motif appears there too. I wonder whether Williams, in scoring AOTC, will quote the Fett theme. And, even though the "Departure of Boba Fett" music isn't Fett's motif, I wonder whether Williams might incorporate it into AOTC if Fett does some similar "departing."

I think Williams might crank up the official Fett motif in AOTC. Instead of having a solo basoon play Fett's motif, he might have the brass and strings come in full force on the Fett motif. After all, Jango seems more powerful and active than the Fett of ESB and ROTK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.