main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official **NON-SPOILERS** AOTC music discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Ahhh! Sithy as mod! Scary! ;)

I think AoTC's music should start to bridge the gap between TPM and the OT, just as the movie does itself.

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Bah, I'd be a GOOD mod too. Wouldn't succumb to the Ring's power. Who knows, bring it up when the time gets closer to AOTC's soundtrack release, and we have a possibility! :D

Oh, and by the "Skywalker Theme", I assume you mean the "Main Theme/Luke's Theme", right?
    Because JW DID use it in TPM besides the title crawl.

3. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Aha! Looks like Williams was recording today! Yahoo! Maybe the next Making of will feature him :)

4. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah I saw that! w00t! Probably my favorite "Episode I Diary" was Prime of the Jedi and Movie Music, so I'm definitely looking forward to a "Making of AOTC" on the music. It probably won't be the next one though but maybe the one after. I mean, they'd still have to edit, voice over, blah blah blah, etc to the footage they're shooting right now over at Abbey Roads. :)

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I would LOVE to see Abbey Road Studios. Being a huge Beatles fan and being a huge Star Wars fan, it would be a real treat to walk around there and see the place so much great music was made.

6. DarthGunray

DarthGunray Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    I hear ya' strilo. Abbey Road is probably the most presetious(sp?) recording studio in the world. I remember reading somewhere online that John Williams and George Lucas had to book this week back during production of TPM.

Oh yeah, a little bit of Beatles info too. I was listening to a radio show called Just the Beatles on my local oldies station, and they said that even the Beatles had to book there sessions a while in advance. That's something huh?

7. Qui-John

Qui-John Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 1999
    There's a new update on the recording session on the EPII page. The thing that caught my eye was the following passage:

Spy report quote removed

Most recently, Hans Zimmer used this technique very effectively in the Gladiator score - it was the most moving motif of that film for me. A solo soprano has the potential to evoke some great emotional moments. So, when I read this it really caused my ears (well, figuratively, at least! :)) to perk up!

Anyone else have an opinion about this?

8. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Um, dude, that is a SPY REPORT. Those are considered spoilers. PLEASE do not do that.

I'll PM an admin. Cheez, we need a mod in this forum.

9. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    Beware, the score is being performed as we speak. This forum is already not safe.

10. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I know, I told CA that we'll definitely need a new mod here, or an existing mod who visits here more often as we get closer to the score's released.

11. pianoman02045

pianoman02045 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    AAAAHHH!!!!! the excitement inside of me is about to explode!!!!! i can't believe that only a couple of hours ago music history was being made once again by JW. wow......

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I know pman! I felt that way yesterday when I heard that he was recording! Man, I'd KILL to be playing there. :D

EDIT: Markup codes.

13. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Since I am going to London for school next year, I will miss this year's recording sessions. However, who knows about Ep. III? Maybe for Ep. III, JW will score for 500 trumpets, and I could audition for 500th chair! lol

:D

Heck, i'd take the position of a page-turner for the piano player just to be there. You guys are right though. It gives me goosebumps realizing that the score is basically done and being recorded, and I find myself wanting more and more news about the score everyday. Maybe we'll get a sample one of these days soon.

14. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Just a note on the mod situation: I try to stop by every day, so if you see something that needs editing, you can PM me as well.

15. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Thanks Sil! That's great! We really needed a mod here! :)

16. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    Maybe I'm just extremely dense, but since I found no official definition of "spoilers" anywhere on this forum (and I searched for one that might have clarified some specifics related to this forum), I simply fail to see how news of a stylistic method of writing being employed by JW can in any way, shape or form be a "spoiler". It was not a highlightable spoiler, and more importantly, it gives nothing at all away about the story, the plot, a cool new blah blah blah... It certainly didn't fall under the definition of a spoiler in the NS forum, either. Being my first time to visit this forum, I didn't see any indication that talking about the score itself could be spoilerish, hence my comments. So if anything about the actual score itself is now being lumped in with the filmed movie as spoilers... well, I respect that, but I do not agree with that mindset. You cannot possibly gain any "real" info about AOTC from the score... unless, of course, you pull the TPM soundtrack trick with a errant title or two. But the score, motifs, methods themselves - surely not!

So, please. Enlighten me.

17. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Any TFN "SPY REPORTS" (which is what you posted) are considered spoilers.

In fact, anything not released by LFL is a spoiler.

18. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    "In fact, anything not released by LFL is a spoiler."

By that logic, Sithy, half the stuff in this thread would be considered a spoiler - where did you find all this information about the recording of the score, etc.? SW.com? Nope. Various other sources like CNN and other reports from various people involved in the production. So be very careful when you state things with such solemnity that you're not overlooking other "minor" examples that still would qualify under the above-stated definition.

I still maintain that for something to be a spoiler, it must be information that is germaine to the movie. The color of flannel that GL wears on a certain day of filming would certainly not be considered a spoiler by any reasonable person, but if it wasn't released by LFL, would you consider it a spoiler? The same holds with the information that I posted - it had absolutely nothing to do with any portion of the movie. It's a stylistic method of choice - much the same as GL's choice of going completely digital for filming. Just because we know that GL has chosen a style of filmmaking with regards to AOTC wouldn't have made it a spoiler, and I don't think that the info about JW's stylistic choices for his score would be, either.

Don't get me wrongo, Sithy - I'm just as unspoiled as you are. I just think you're applying the wrong logic to this information. But of course, that's my opinion. :) So, seeing as how the rules as you see them leaves very little room for discourse about AOTC's score, I'll simply leave this thread quietly, wishing you peace, my friend. :)

19. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    *sigh* I'm hoping Sil gets her Aussie butt back in here ( ;) ) to explain this to you. :D I'm just repeating what just about all of the JC uses for it's spoiler policy.

20. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah my understanding is nothing spoilerish is to be posted in ANY FORUM except the specific spoiler forums for AOTC and Episode III. That includes this Music forum as well. My understanding also is that a spoiler is considered anything not released officially by Lucasfilm either on the official site or in the Insider magazine.

A good bet? Something labeled SPY REPORT from TheForce.Net is PROBABLY gonna fall under the category of SPOILER.... but thats just me.

21. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    -- Yeah my understanding is nothing spoilerish is to be posted in ANY FORUM except the specific spoiler forums for AOTC and Episode III. That includes this Music forum as well. My understanding also is that a spoiler is considered anything not released officially by Lucasfilm either on the official site or in the Insider magazine.

You got that right! If you even think something you want to post is remotely spoilerish, PM me or CA and we can tell you. We're both completely spoiled, so we should know what to do.

Notice I said "should." ;)

22. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    Oh and movie spoilers relate to all forums, but since there are specific ones, these are all non-spoiled forums.

For example: An insider has just sent me a fantastic image of Zam Wesell because he knows I'm making a costume of hers. The image is not official and has not been released by LFL.

I can't go into the Costuming and Props forum and post that, but I *can* post that to the Episode 2 (Spoilers Allowed) forum.

Umm, does that help?

23. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Lots! Now it doesn't look like I'M arguing with this guy, and that it is instead the JC's rules.

24. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    You're making a Zam Wesell costume? Cool.

25. Silmarillion

Jul 20, 1999
    Hehe no, I was just using that as an example. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.