Official **NON-SPOILERS** AOTC music discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Seagoat
  1. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    LOL, thus the use of "For example:" in her post. [face_laugh]

Anyhoo, back on subject, BillBoard.Com reports that the AOTC soundtrack is to be released on April 30th! w00t! A mere 16 (or seventeen, depending on how many days are in April. :D ) before AOTC's release! w00t!

A quote from their site:
    "Sony Classical will release the soundtrack to "Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones" on April 30, Billboard Bulletin reports. The album will feature a new score by Academy Award-winner John Williams, who wrote the music for the four previous "Star Wars" films. Recording with the London Symphony Orchestra will begin this month.
    Sony Classical released the soundtrack to "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace" in 1999; it has sold 2 million units worldwide, according to the label. "Attack of the Clones" opens May 16 in North American theaters.
    "

YAY!
  2. Debo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh, I thought you meant it. Like when someone says, "For example: I went to the mall today..."

Now you're less cool -- still cool, of course, but not as cool as I thought you were for a couple of minutes.
  3. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
  4. Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team

VIP
    star 7
    Oh boy. Another new SW soundtrack on the way!

But, you know how it'll be: mostly scraps pasted together until people cause a ruckuss and demand a complete score be released. Hopefully they'll just release the complete score on April 30th.
  5. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Tsk tsk, Sil has a potty mouth.
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Lord Maully Maul unfortunately that seems to be the burden of being a John Williams fan. He composes amazing stuff, but HE likes to put different cues from different parts of the movie together to make a nice musical presentation, regardless of film order. Make no mistake, this is not the record label, this is Mr. Williams himself. With as long as it took to get the original trilogy and Indy stuff on CD in film order, I am amazed we got TPM as fast as we did...
  7. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    You know, in some instances, I DO want all that JW composed for TPM (and will for AOTC), but at other times, I totally agree with stri and I want to be able to watch the movie in my head whilst (now THERE's a cool word) listening to the music.

I'm torn.
  8. Mar17swgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Well, if you look at it from one point of view (hehe, I like that philosphy... a certain POV... ;) ), it's all about money. Like with TPM: First they released the single CD, many people bought it, then the fans started complaining about not having the full score, and then they released the Ultimate Edition and made more money.

However, if you look at it from a different point of view, it's better. The single TPM CD was not an ordinary soundtrack - it was a collection of a few themes, arranged specially to make a nice composition. The Ultimate Edition, on the other hand, is the complete soundtrack - just as if you took your video, recorded all the music and deleted the dialogue and sound effects. ;)

I think it was a good choice. Someone's happy with the single CD, and someone wants to have the UE. And someone wants to have both. :p And for AOTC, I'd be happy if they released the COMPLETE soundtrack in April. But I'm not buying it before I see the movie - the music and the themes titles can give away too much... ;)
  9. royalguard96 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Is it known at this point if the release will be a one or two-disc set? Although I loved the TPM: UE, it was too hastily cut in some places, and I think the concert suites still have a place on a disc like that. Hopefully, the AOTC disc will be somewhere inbetween the two TPM releases.

I just wish we could get the same treatment with the PT music that we got from the 1997 Special Edition sets. Those were as good as it gets.
  10. Mar17swgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Oh yes, the SE discs were great. You got practically all music there, in order as it appears in the movie, plus you have the concert suites there and some source music too. :)

I'd certainly loved to have something like that with AOTC - two discs, full score, concert suites, maybe one or two bonus tracks with source music... :D
  11. Happy Ninja Jedi Knight

star 6
    Sorry to ask this - I'm too lazy to go through all of the pages, but does anyone know if the ATOC soundtrack will be a one disc package, or a 2 disc ultimate edition like the other films (I'm listening to the TPM 2 disc set now!)?

Does anyone know how much it is going to cost, and whether it will be a similtaneous worldwide release?
  12. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    All we know for sure is that the soundtrack is coming out on April 30. Anything else, like how many discs and what it will cost, is anyone's guess.
  13. Tessek's BodyGuard Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'm not sure if this is real or not, but in the the new making of video there is a small piece of music that is unfamiliar. It occurs at 3:08. Could it be some AOTC music? Its sounds like some kind of battle march or something.

I'm just not sure.
  14. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Um, I really really doubt it.
  15. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I really, REALLY doubt it. I'm too lazy to go look at the video again, but the only "battle musicish" thing I remember was from track 28 on the TPM UE (Disc 2) when Anakin shoots the TF battleship's reactor, etc.
  16. Mar17swgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    No, even before that piece. That piece plays when we see Obi-Wan fight Jango. But before that there's a short picture of Temuerra talking, dressed in his Jango armor. At that point there's one piece of music I don't recognize. It's kinda low, battle-ish, and actually reminds me a bit of the Boba Fett motif. I don't know, I might be mistaken, but it could be that we're getting a clue here. ;)
  17. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Oh, is that the place where Temuera says something like "May the Force be with you, dude."? :D ...Or was it "man"? :confused:
  18. yodaman Jedi Knight

star 5
  19. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Ah, dankee. "Dude", "man", "bro", all the same to me! :D

\\goes to check it out\\
  20. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Hmmm. Just checked it out. That music is from the end of TESB. That's the "droids motif" used in TESB a few times.

No AOTC music yet. :(
  21. royalguard96 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Sithman:

I think Williams is currently recording the music in London, even as we speak. If I remember from past movies, the soundtrack was always recorded in January, and the music being laid down was one of the last steps in completing the film. Of course now, Lucas can tweak things up until the last minute. I am most anxious for the Anakin-Padme love theme music. For some reason, I never got into the Han-Leia themes of the OT. I always liked the Force music or fast-paced cues like the Sail Barge Battle and the Asteroid Field.
  22. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Yah, I know he's working on it now, it's just that some of these other blokes ( ;) ) wanted to know if it was AOTC music or not. :)
  23. Mar17swgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    So I'm one of "these other blokes"? OK, I'll remember that... ;) j/k :D
  24. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    \\scrolls up thread\\

Yup. :D
  25. pianoman02045 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    On the subject of the CD i think that JW should score it as he did with the OT. for some reason it seemed as if JW, for TPM, wrote music then the editors put it in. in the OT it seems as if Williams wrote the music to the movie. and on the SE CD's it flows great. granted i don't have the Unlimited edition of TPM but from the film it sounds like that to me. I hope Williams did it the way he did in the others.
Moderators: Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.