main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official* Obi-Wan in TCW Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I can't believe we don't have an official discussion thread for my boy yet!

Obi-Wan is definitely taking a step back from the spotlight in TCW, at least compared to the PT, where you could argue he was more of a main character than Anakin.

While his characterization seemed a bit off at times in Season 1, I think they've really started to nail it in Season 2.

I'm looking forward to the episode that Dave & Henry talked about in their conversation with TFN last year:

TFN: Your show clearly draws a lot of inspiration from the Original Trilogy. What is the trick to capturing the OT?s ?magic??

Henry: It?s a secret recipe. Star Wars brew, 4 cups swashbuckling characters, teaspoon of weird aliens, 8 ounces of strange creatures, 2 cups of spaceships, tablespoon of lightsabers, preferably ?on?, stir in a ?dash? of the mystical \ magical nature of the Force, sift in some comedy to taste, blend well with a timeless, yet fresh fairytale theme that everybody can grab onto. Bake for 9 months to a year, garnish with Kevin Kiner and Matt Wood and viola! Eat your heart out, Disney Channel.

Dave: I think it is nearly impossible to capture the magic of those old films, though we attempt to do so on a daily basis. I feel we have a couple that come close now, and that?s definitely due to George?s direct involvement. They have a magic to them, funny but adventurous, a little dark. One in particular with Obi Wan as the focus comes to mind, Henry knows the one I mean.

Henry: That episode is going to blow fan?s minds with the (DELETED), and the (DELETED). I never thought George would let us (DELETED).

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    What was off about his characterization in Season 1? I thought they nailed his snarky, deliberate, cocky, manipulative deamor perfectly.

3. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Apart from the sometimes awkward banter with Anakin, the only problem I can see with his characterization is that they're making him a bit too stuffy, too snobby. That is part of his character, yes, but they are overdoing it most of the time. They just have to lower his guard a bit more, make him a bit more earnest.

4. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Some of the banter between Anakin & Obi-Wan has been awesome this season.

I wonder if the "amazing" episode involves Satine?

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    It's about time for a thread devoted to Obi-Wan, the best (though not perfect) Jedi.

He has had a tendency, especially season I, to come off too snarky and a bit pompous. I have, however, liked his interactions with Anakin in various episodes, especially Dooku captured - trapped in the cavern, watching Anakin get chased by a gundark, etc.

I wish (so far) he hasn't been relegated as far to the back ground in the "Anakin and Ahsoka" show as he has been. I don't want him to be the prominent player in every episode - well, not realistically - but Anakin has been in nearly 100% of the episodes so far.

I'd like more balance - more Yoda, more Mace, more Jedi, lots more Anakin and Obi-Wan friendship and banter.

I, too, wonder if the "Satine" episode(s?) is what is supposed to be amazing - Wiki actually suggests an actual relationship between them in the past but no source is given so I don't think that's a spoiler, just speculation.

6. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Funny you mentioned Dooku Captured in relation to the banter. In my opinion that is the episode with the worst banter between those two, really heavy handed and out of place. I agree that it has improved in the 2nd season, with some great moments in Legacy of Terror.

7. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yeah but the funniest part of Dooku Captured was when Dooku told Obi-Wan to tell Anakin to shut up, and Obi-Wan sarcastically repeated what Dooku said. [face_laugh]

8. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I believe that's from Gungan General. :-B

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Oh right. [face_blush]

Okay, Dooku Captured is pretty bad then.

10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I liked Dooku Captured.[face_worried] Other than those 50's style UFOs. They were bloody awful.:oops:

*Thanks the maker that noone has dug up the Obi-Wan in a loin cloth discussion*

Oops...[face_plain]

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Loved Innocents of Ryloth.

It was cool seeing him jump off the heads of those monster creatures, reminded me of Tony Jaa in Ong-Bak. :cool:

12. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    I remember that, and thinking that it must be a Season 2 episode. But... if Henry's involvement is already over and he's not working on any more of the episodes yet to debut... doesn't that mean we should have seen this one already? Was it that badass animal-control bit in "Innocents"?

13. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    No, it sounds like there's something controversial there - which is why the upcoming episode(s) with Satine came to mind.

Don't forget they're already writing & producing Season 3 & beyond as we speak, so it's quite possible there's still some Dave/Henry scripts in Season 2.

Henry cowrote the "Children of the Force" episode this season.

14. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I think (well, it might be fairly obvious, but I still think :p) that Obi-Wan's stuffiness was overplayed if you want someone to be the 'straight man' or 'authority figure'...he was pretty much the go-to guy in Season 1 if you needed a by-the-book argument or a big NO, just like how Grievous was the go-to guy if you wanted someone defeated. [face_laugh]
    And again, just like how the Tactical Droids were disposable competent villains, we now have Admiral Yularen filling in for Obi-Wan as the stuffy British authority guy. ;)

As the writing process sharpened, though, it appears to me that they've gotten the hang of writing banter and getting his personality down. Looks like Obi-Wan shows many more facets of his personality (humour, cunning, wisdom, and the like) when he's placed as an equal to Anakin, rather than 'that guy in charge'.

I've certainly enjoyed Obi-Wan in this series, and am looking forward to his next big appearance. :D

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    You're right, as an "equal" rather than "boss" he does come off better.

The banter I liked in Dooku Captured was in the beginning and in the cavern ("I could use some light" - Obi-Wan lights his lightsaber and it fizzles, he says "funny thing, it was working just a minute ago" for one, and the talk about eluding the gundark "this isn't as much fun as it looks, I could use some help here").

16. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    For me that was one of the all-time worst. The guy is being chased by a killer giant monster with four arms, and he's practically laughing as he says that line. Way to remove any possible sense of peril.

17. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Sweet! Finally some Obi-Wan representation!:D I really like how he's being portrayed in this season thus far; Landing at Point Rain being a fine example of this. I'm looking forward to the Satine arc more than ever since watching that episode.

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    <Shrugs> To each his own. One reason I liked it was we actually saw Obi-Wan - and not as the stuffy, pompous "man in charge" barking orders.

I never thought Anakin was actually supposed to be in any real peril (of course, I remember him rescuing Obi-Wan from a clutch of gundarks all by himself in one of the JQ books and he totally dominated multiple gundarks). I thought it was all played for fun (and I took it that way) - in a mild way, reminds me of the some of the old "Perils of Pauline" stuff.

19. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah, I'm agreeing about Dooku Captured. One of my least favorite episodes. The boring banter, Obi-Wan's stuffiness, both his and Anakin's overly casual attitudes, and to top it off Ahsoka coming to the rescue acting like she's caught them skipping school. There was just a lack of suspense or concern for the characters in that episode.

But it's nice Obi-Wan has a thread now. Maybe a thread for Anakin should be made too?

20. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Obiwan, one of the greatest characters in the entire saga, and the best of the entire prequels, if you ask me.

Always cool and collected, but a tad too snobby in the animated series. He's getting better, but he seems more of a parody of himself at times. Recently watched the prequels again, and realized I really liked the live action character better, especially in RotS.

He's still one of my favourites though, even in The Clone Wars. I really wish we would see some more 'buddy moments' with him and Anakin. I think they should invest a whole story arc focusing on the two of them. It would surprise me if something like this wasn't on Lucas' agenda. I think Filoni must be aware that this is a widely shared sentiment among the fans.

Let's speculate about this:

Henry: That episode is going to blow fan?s minds with the (Duchess?), and the (Mandalorians?). I never thought George would let us (make Obiwan go darkside? Just kidding. Create a love interest for him?).

21. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    Yay!!! What a lovely idea for a thread! [face_dancing] Now, that I've expressed my complete and utter glee, let me go back and read what everyone else has said. ;)

Heck, I love all the Obi-Wan and Anakin banter. I love those two together kicking butt and taking names. When you need something done and done right, call Kenobi and Skywalker. That's what I like. :)

Legacy of Terror probably has my favorite Anakin and Obi-Wan banter, with Trespass coming a close second and Gungan General in third.

"Well...say something."
    "Just shut up." [face_laugh]

The main reason I watch TCW and the main reason I stick by it through all the small annoyances and gripes I may have with it is to watch Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship blossom throughout the war. I like watching that transition between Master and Padawan to best friends/brothers. I think that the show is showing that transition nicely. Yeah, Obi-Wan was pretty stuffy in season 1, but I think it works because at that point, he still has that innate need to teach Anakin things.

But I can tell, as the series progresses, Obi-Wan will be less of the finger-wagging, disapproving, "Now, Anakin..." type of character and ease into being equals with his former Padawan. I think Legacy of Terror showed that very well. Obi-Wan says something snarky, Anakin snarks right back. Anakin goes to attack, Obi-Wan gently dissuades him and Anakin listens to him not only because they're friends but because he trusts and respects him. Well, that and the fact that he's a Jedi Council member, but that's neither here nor there. ;)

I'm sorry for rambling, but like I said, I love these two Jedi, lol. I wouldn't be suffering from Anakin overload so much if it were just him and Obi-Wan running around the Galaxy and doing missions week after week. [face_laugh]

Oh, and a minor aside. Would it kill the SW universe to tell us where the heck Obi-Wan was born? One of my major gripes is that his homeworld is unknown. In the grand scheme of things, I guess it really doesn't matter, but I'm curious.

22. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    Haven't Obi-Wan and Anakin been in plenty episodes together? And they've been on missions with just the two of them and no Ahsoka as well. I don't get this complaint that there's not enough Obi-Wan in this show. Isn't he in pretty much every episode?

23. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    Obi-Wan has been more prominent this season than last, yes. But as the main focus in the series as a whole? I would say no. Last season, Obi-Wan usually popped up for about five minutes to give an order or shake his head disapprovingly at Anakin and Ahsoka or give Anakin backup. This season, they're giving him more to do, which is great.

But the season is young. We'll see what happens. I don't watch the show for the lesser known Jedi or original characters. I watch for the heroes I know and love from the films, so me wanting more Obi-Wan and Anakin together is a selfish, fangirl response on my end since they're my favorite Jedi and I just can't get enough of that missing dynamic from the films.

As much as I can wish upon a star, I know that the show can't be dominated by Anakin and Obi-Wan running around the Galaxy fighting crime and solving mysteries like the Scooby-Doo gang, lol. The show wasn't made just for me, after all. But if the show was like that, I'd watch it every week like clockwork. ;) That's not a critique, that's just me being a fangirl. :)

24. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    The way I see it, Anakin and Obi-Wan have dominated the movies, the micro-series, plenty of other stuff, and they dominate this show.. except now there's the addition of Ahsoka, which I'm guessing is a reason they included her, because the Anakin Obi-Wan dynamic was getting a little old.

I can see the complaint that she's 'replaced' Obi-Wan as Anakin's partner and so has gotten more spotlight. But I still say Obi-Wan's getting plenty of screentime, and he's definitely a main character.

25. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    See, I thought that one of the major failings of the PT is that we didn't get to see enough of the Anakin/Obi-Wan relationship.

TPM was a complete write-off, and even AOTC they were only really together at the very beginning and the very end.

I see clips like where Anakin and Obi-Wan are fighting over who is going to get to the muster point first, and Luminara has to remind them they have a mission to perform, and I'm all [face_love] They really are starting to seem like older brother and younger brother in Season 2.

He was a bit too stuffy in Season 1 - not enough of the wry humor we see in the films.

Have we seen too much Obi-Wan?

Appearances in Season 1 (I'm only counting more than a hologram appearance):

Destroy Malevolence
    Dooku Captured
    The Gungan General
    Trespass
    The Hidden Enemy
    Blue Shadow/Mystery of 1000 Moons
    Innocents of Ryloth

Season 2

Holocron Heist
    Children of the Force
    Landing at Point Rain
    Legacy of Terror

That's about 1/3 of the season where he has a major role to play in the episode.