main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official* Obi-Wan in TCW Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Dec 10, 2009.

1. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    I'm guessing "revelation of his home planet", "loincloth", and "get so drunk in that editing session".

Obi-Wan's coming along just fine. His injury in L@PR added a certain gravitas to his character, even if it's never mentioned again.

The Dooku duology was a real shaky low in my book. I think that it sort of tripped over itself because that's when GL got more involved and it took a little bit of fine tuning for his approach to mesh with what Filoni & Co. were already doing. Plus, it must never be forgotten that monkey-lizard did it.

Thinking back on the Ryloth arc, and especially Obi-Wan's part in it, it really feels like *that* was the birth of the Season 2 sensibility. In a good way.

2. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Actually, that felt to me exactly in line with Obi-Wan as he is in the prequels, being delivered much in the same vein as that snarky "Good job!" in AOTC when they're in the arena.

Heck, this whole project has given me one of my new all-time favorite Obi-Wan moments. That would be in the film during his 'negotiations' with Whorm Loathsom.

Seriously, Obi-Wan sitting there nonchalantly stirring and sipping his tea, completely unconcerned by the BAJILLION AND TWO blasters being pointed at him?

That totally, TOTALLY captured Obi-Wan's character right there. And the rest of the series has felt the same way to THIS Obi-Wan fan.

3. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    Sometimes, I'll put the CW movie on just to watch that scene. :)

Going along with what you said about capturing Obi-Wan's character, one of my favorite Obi-Wan moments of TCW is in Blue Shadow Virus where Anakin is freaking out about Ahsoka (I'm quoting this from memory, so forgive me if I'm wrong):

Anakin: There's a good chance we're about to destroy all life on the planet including ours and the Senator's. So, yes, I'm a bit on edge. Why aren't you?
    Obi-Wan: *shrug* I'm better at hiding it.

If that's not Obi-Wan, I don't know what is. :)

4. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Yeah, that moment sort of redeemed an otherwise pretty sketchy episode. Good line, and you could really hear JAT's fusion of McGregor and Guiness in his delivery.

5. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Agreed. That was a great line, with great delivery.

6. eukaryote

eukaryote Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2008
    Overall, I'm happy with Obi-Wan's portrayal... the only thing I don't like is I feel as if they're overdoing it in some parts... We know Obi-Wan is snarky and cocky, but let's see something a bit more now :D.

7. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Obi-Wan hasn't changed much IMO, my favorite scenes are with Ventress though.

8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_coffee]Very glad to have found this thread --- Obi-Wan is one of my top favorite Jedi. I'm enjoying TCW, looking forward to how the entire arc will play out as things progress to ROTS. Anakin's darkness while 'interrogating' Poggle hints at more Vaderishness to come ... but back to Obi-Wan. He still seems to be motherhenning Anakin, giving orders which Anakin more or less obeys. I guess I wonder why Councilmember Kenobi gives orders to Knight Skywalker, who 'follows' them, while non-Councilmember Knight Unduli goes off solo to undertake her own predetermined mission re following Poggle back to Queen Karina's nest. There's not much of a chain of Jedi command setup yet, but maybe that's the point of comparison between the GAR and the Jedi.

Is Obi-Wan's rise to the Council handled anywhere recently (besides fanfiction), like webcomics or any other venue? He just popped up there in the Holocron theft stories.:confused:

9. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Would just like to point out that non-Councilmember Unduli is a Master, not a Knight.

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    IS Obi-Wan a member of the Council or just "in" with the Council and as such relaying orders to his former padawan? If it was clear he is on the Council, I must have missed that reference.

11. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    CN's started running commercials for the next episode (seen it three times today already). While it mostly features Grievous,they DO show Obi-Wan, Anakin, and a bunch of biker clones all setting out at night for some sort of patrol or sortie.

Wonder what Obi-Wan's role will be in this ep?

12. AvadaKenobi

Mar 2, 2009
    He has to be on the High Council since he sits amongst the rest of the Council members in the Chambers, most notably in Holocron Heist. I doubt he'd be sitting with them if he wasn't a member.

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, of course! <head table> [face_blush] My mind has been elsewhere for a few weeks lately.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Wow, really not seeing this at all. At least in Season 2 in particular, Obi-Wan is very much deferring to Anakin and realizing he has a very specific set of skills.

15. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Anakin: "Excuse me masters, but I wasn't aware that Obi-Wan had been made a member of the council."

Mace: "He hasn't! One day he was being briefed by the council when he said his legs were tired and asked for a seat. I told him to take one and he's just been sitting there from that day! Poor master Koth has been sobbing and wandering aimlessly around the temple ever since."

16. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I think that by Mystery of a Thousand Moons, the immense respect Obi-Wan and Anakin have for each other becomes much more visible. Obi-Wan isn't lecturing Anakin to be calm or detached, but rather sympathising with him in his own way. Anakin doesn't go charging in simply because he at least respects Obi-Wan's judgement. You could also argue that Trespass is the first time audiences get to really see them mesh together.

It could be that he simply felt the need to rein in Anakin a bit more in order to get him used to teaching a new padawan, but I'm also willing to go with 'better writing'. XD

17. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    In regards to the Obi-Wan and Anakin relationship, I'd actually also like to see in later seasons as Anakin becomes more seasoned and perhaps spearheads more victories that he starts voicing his interest to being on the council to Obi-Wan and perhaps even has a discussion with Ahsoka about it too and she says something like "i have a feeling you'll be on that council someday" - although we know the council won't give him a spot because he is still to reckless....but still, it'd tie in with ROTS and how Obi-Wan told him - "it's what you wanted, your friendship with Chancellor Palpatine has paid off".

I could even see perhaps Anakin, when having one of his private moments with Palpatine...perhaps Palpatine would mention something (again, later seasons) that based on how much he has accomplished at such a young age that he will probably get a seat on the council some point soon....kinda almost trying to twist it that the Jedi Council don't appreciate or notice his accomplishments...etc

18. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    :oops:Whoops, forgot to figure in Luminara's being a Master. That might make a level of command for Jedi go like this: Yoda > Council *or perhaps co-responsible? Since Yoda disagreed with Anakin being trained, but overruled, he was* > Masters > Knights > Padawans. I'm wondering if the term 'High General' is going to be used in TCW, as it has been elsewhere?

And, Koonfan, maybe 'giving orders' ought to have been 'relaying orders' since Obi-Wan sits on the council and would be having input to orders, but not the final say. 'Giving orders' makes it sound like they're coming directly from him. 'Trespass' does indeed paint their brotherly relationship well, as Anakin's artwork gave them an 'in' to communication but it was Obi-Wan who got the big crushing hug.

19. AvadaKenobi

Mar 2, 2009
    [face_laugh] If it were only that easy, Anakin would've stole Mace's seat a long time ago. ;)

"Grr...Skywalker, for the last time! Stop sitting in my seat!"

20. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I really felt the dialogue Obi-Wan had with Grievous in "Grievous Intrigue" was spot-on Sir Alec Guinness style. :cool:

Whereas I've immediately liked the TCW version of Anakin > PT Anakin, I felt there was something a bit off about Obi-Wan, but the last few episodes have really started to nail his character.

It's also interesting that his nerves were starting to get frayed in the chase of Grievous...I guess this is why he gets the grey hair by ROTS.

Doesn't Ewan say something like "he gets grey hair in only 3 years? How bad was the Clone Wars?" :p

21. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Actually, in his confrontation with Grievous I thought Obi-Wan really sounded like Ewan against Anakin at the end of Ep3, that kind of breaking voice. I think Obi-Wan's distress at losing Grievous at the end of The Deserter was a nice reflection of how the viewers were feeling. It IS frustrating to be back at square one.

And yes, Obi-Wan has been much better in the latest episodes, losing a bit of the overly-snobby portrayal of previous episodes.

22. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    In Grievous Intrigue, Anakin says something to the effect of 'just be sure the coordinates are right and be there on time,' and Obi-Wan replies 'I always am' or some such. As much as I like Obi-Wan's character, I thought the words sounded like the story was building him up to a letdown, and when he was so very frustrated at the end of the arc and said 'send someone to pick us up,' he sounded even more dejected than before. He needs a girlfriend to buck him up and maybe that'll happen soon.:cool:

23. AvadaKenobi

Mar 2, 2009
    It's sure working for Anakin. ;)

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    "Girlfriend?" Where's the Obi-Satine love in this thread? :p

If other characters are bumping up, what better time to bump our one and only Obi-Wan?

25. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    As I said in the other thread, I'm betting we'll see one or both of the following on Friday:

(1) They kiss; (2) Satine dies.