main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official* Obi-Wan in TCW Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Dec 10, 2009.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    1. I don't see the Council hanging Obi-Wan out to dry, given that he's on the Council in ROTS. And will there really be a public uproar on the Holonet? What will the Senate really know other than there was an attack on Mandalore by the Black Sun, the Pyke and the Death Watch, and Satine was killed? Does the general public even know about Maul? I'm not sure the Holonet would know that Obi-Wan went in the first place.

I could see a reaction that you suggested, with the public thinking that the Jedi had no business interfering, if they found out.

2. On screen consequences: As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't know how attached Anakin is to the Twilight, but I think that given the circumstances, Anakin will be more sympathetic towards Obi-Wan than upset about losing his ship. Unless, of course, Obi-Wan wasn't completely honest with Anakin and pretended the mission was entirely political.

3. The Senate: Again I'm not sure they knew that Obi-Wan went. If so, they would probably be irritated with the Jedi, and thus would begin their mistrust of them leading to their willingness in ROTS to believe they had actually tried to assassinate the Chancellor.

4. The Council: They'll ask Obi-Wan why he disobeyed. He'll apologize. They'll let it go.

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm sure Yoda will try to shrivel Obi-Wan with a glare, then whack his ankles. [face_laugh]

Actually, I mean "hang out to dry" as in disavowing his actions publicly, stating he acted as an individual without the consent of the Council. But, considering he IS a member of said Council, that would be problematic. But supporting his actions lends presumed approval of his actions. I think his fellow Councilmen will be quite disapproving in Council, even if they stiff upper-lip it otherwise.

This, of course, means if there is any public outcry.

I'm familiar enough with Palps (IMHO) modus operandi to see how he would use this if he wished to use it: He'll preside over the Senate and somehow work in something about a Jedi being on Mandalore on a personal mission, or attempting a failed rescue, name your poison excuse, but he "will not stand for any criticism" of said Jedi's actions. It's not unlike our news (Faux news) asking stuff like Is it true Obama is a secret wife-beater or some such just to get the idea out in the public mind.

All one has to do is ask a question to plant a seed or deny something was as bad as said, etc. to plant the seeds.

Anakin: I'm sure his immediate reaction will be sympathy, at least going by the cut scene/book scene. He knows why Obi-Wan.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Have to say Obi-Wan has been used poorly by TCW, he hasn't felt like Obi-Wan since Mortis.

In the Citadel arc he's not bad, but Anakin and Ahsoka just run all over him, making him seem like their apprentice.

The Slave arc did have Obi-Wan trying to save the slaves (I don't even remember how that turned out), but I felt his sole purpose in that arc was to get beat up.

In the Deception arc, I feel like TCW set out to use Kenobi and the Council to piss off Anakin and didn't bother treating the situation organically.

The whole rivalry with Maul just fell completely flat with me, TCW failed to stir any feelings at all.

I think his "unbalanced" reaction to Maul in Revenge was out of character.

Putting Adi with him in Revival was a mistake, but at least he got to fight back in that episode.

I felt nothing for his scenes in The Lawless, I felt like TCW reached into the universe, threw Obi-Wan into the episode for the sole purpose of having him watch Maul kill his girlfriend, and then just got rid of him as quickly as possible. He didn't get to fight back at all, they had him do nothing, it just felt like a waste.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I think Revival was Obi-Wan's best episode of the series

5. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    CT-867-5309

I got a different vibe in the Citadel arc; I thought he was fine in that specific arc. I do more or less agree with you on the slavery arc - he had a great moment or two, but a heck of a lot worse ones. Deception - I'd agree ONE important of the arc as set up was to piss off Anakin, but otherwise I felt he was well used.

As to the Maul arc, because we did have those earlier episodes with Satine, Obi-Wan being there for her death in The Lawless felt organic enough to me. It didn't appear from nowhere just to blow off just as quickly, so because of the backstory we actually saw (rather than just heard about) it was great from my view. But pretty much, yes, he was used mainly as a participant to her death. It felt the climax of the episode was built to be the three way dual, which made Obi-Wan-Satine the sideplot .

QuangoFett, FARK2005 and Seerow like this.
  6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Obi-wan didn't do much in the Citadel arc, he was the cool voice of reason between everybody. I thought Obi-wan's really bad moment in the Slave arc was when in "Slaves of the Republic" he comes up with that goofy plan to rescue the Togruta leader the gets him captured. In the Rako Hardeen arc I find him in character. Obi-wan's intentions to use Anakin's emotions to fake his death was pretty cruel, however it demonstrated his Jedi resolve and contrasted it with his sense of morality through out the arc which still made Obi-wan suspicious to Cad Bane and later Dooku. Its just a good demonstration of Obi-wan's cunning and flexability. The scene where Anakin confronts him is super emotional.

As for the Maul arc I think Obi-wan is a catalyst for things to come. Its not Maul who is going to go back to Coruscant and have to explain to the council what happened and try to honor Bo-Katan's wish for help. I thought they did a great job with Obi-wan's personality.

QuangoFett and Valairy Scot like this.
  7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Alas, poor Kenobi...will we ever see Anakin speak to him about Ahsoka's expulsion now that the show is ending? Or is that up to the fanficcers?

rumblewagon and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    It's hardly anything to "alas" about IMO.

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    A looming lack of Kenobi is definitely an "alas, poor Kenobi" to me.

Obimus Primobi and FARK2005 like this.
  10. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    A Mauldalore followup arc could involve Obi-Wan in a major capacity. He was the one who promised aid to Bo-Katan and will probably be the last Jedi to duel Maul.

Seerow and Darth Ibonek like this.
  11. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Where was the "looming lack"? This season had a fair share of Obi-Wan.

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    "looming" - forthcoming, soon to be, in the future...post-TCW..

13. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Meh, I read it as "something overwhelming" or something.

14. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Hopefully Mandalore's civil war situation gets closure in the last episodes and that'll give us a last hurrah for Obi-wan.

15. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think the best finale for the Mandalore arc would be a massive showdown between Obi-Wan and Bo-Katan fighting Maul and coming out victorious, because its only fair that Obi-Wan is the one to kill Maul.

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  16. BobaFan101

BobaFan101 Jedi Padawan

Dec 3, 2013
    Agreed. While I loved the battle with sidious, I feel it would have meant more for Obi to escape and fight maul, possibly killing savage with Maul escaping. While I doubt that they will resolve this in the episodes coming in 2014, I do hope they resolve it in rebels

17. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Yea they did, the VA did a great job for Obi Wan.