**Official OC Fan Force Costuming help and advice thread.**

Discussion in 'Orange County, CA' started by SRB_Jedi_Knight, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry, I should have said that a robe was fine as long as its not terry. Thats the first fabric that came to mind when you said robe. However check out this site Big yellow box the sabers there you can custom make yourself and are in expensive. They also have a parts list and instructions you can download.
  2. darth_avery Jedi Master

star 3
    whoa!!!!

thos sabers are really cool!!!!

hey Kyps...ur jus sayin that cuz ur upset that i don't have enough of that cool fabric to make ur robe!!!

my nephew has all of the sound making sabers...i wanna steal them! but i won't...that's mean
  3. darth_avery Jedi Master

star 3
    it i can scrape up some $$$ then i think i'm going to make a lightsaber and do a tutorial on it here on the message boards....don't look for it any time soon. it's just an idea for now!
  4. zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Master

star 4
    hey DA; im doing that right now...maybe we can trade ideas?
  5. darth_avery Jedi Master

star 3
    i'm using PVC piping and sheet metal.....what r u using?
  6. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Last night my wonderful wife started on my inner tunic. A little more work, maybe an hours worth and it will be done, and it looks great so far. I can see my robes coming together, and it looks so cool. I'll start looking for the leather to make my belt on the 15th of Sept. I can't wait until she gets it done.
  7. Keijaa_Halcyon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Has any one else here already made a lightsaber from scratch. I made on about a year ago and it worked out really well. I actaully used a copper pipe because i was trying to make a model of mace windu's saber.

What kind of sabers has everyone else made(obi wan, anakin, darth maul)?
  8. zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Master

star 4
    hi DA; im using parts from 4 diffent toy light sabers...if i can get this work...then i can have one machined. hi SRB; my wife is working on my outer tunic...my robe will be ready thursday...its looking pretty good! boots are dismantled and this sat im going to get the leather i need to finish them...if you need anything i can pick up...let me know..

hi everyone else; if anyone needs any info on jedi costumes or props...let me or Darth Avery know...just PM us...have a great holiday!
  9. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok I'm wondering how many people are currently working on a costume? I know Halloween is right around the corner. If you need help please let D_A or Zhi-don know, and I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you out.

Also since Halloween is right around the corner. I think it might be nice to have a lightsaber building class for our October meeting using one of the designs from the Big Yellow Box. If anyone thinks this would be interesting let us know. We'll talk more about this on Sunday.
  10. Kyps-dozen Jedi Knight

star 2
    hey D_A...that saber is for me right?!?!?!?
  11. zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Master

star 4
    hey kyps; you know you have to make your own before you become a jedi! unless you already have, which in that case...go for it!
  12. Keijaa_Halcyon Jedi Knight

star 1
    if you're serious about setting up a lightsaber construction class then you should definately reffer to the novel I, Jedi by Micheal Stackpole. its got some great stuff on the parts needed to build the inside. there's a whole meditation process invovled where you use the force to study every peice neded to build your saber. you plan and study the exact steps that you will take to build it and reherse it over and over again mentally. you need to be extremely force sensative to be sure that all the peices are in order. in I'Jedi Corran finds a quick way to build his saber in ONLY 2 days.

of course we wouldn't want to do all this but theres still a bunch of good ideas that we can use from the book.

-Erik
  13. Keijaa_Halcyon Jedi Knight

star 1
    ALSO...

I'd like to make a sith robe similar to Darth Maul's when he is on Tatooine. does anyone know where to find that same black material or what kind it is? i'm very unfamiliar with making costumes of any sort so please don't judge me by this realitively idiotic question.
  14. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe I can help. Getting the same black material may not be cost effective for you I'm not sure, but there are good alternatives. First sith robes are basically jedi robes for the most part just black in color. So I would follow the same pattern of thought in picking up material as I did for my Jedi robes. Here is what I suggest.

1.Inner Tunic:

Muslin.(If they don't have it in black then you can always dye it black if need be and dying it black wouldn't be to hard to do.

2.Outer tunic Obi and Tabbards:

Light weight cotton blend of some type. Again if they do not have it in black then you can also dye this one as well.

3.Robe

Conventional wisdom says it should be a heavier fabric than the others. I myself did not follow conventional wisdom, I went with another lighter wieght cotten blend fabric that will drape nicely when worn. Also if you can't find black then you can dye this as well. Remember dying the fabric isn't a bad thing.

Look for fabric on clearance at like Joanns. They have some good deal if you take the time to look and fid them.

Here are the 2 patter numbers I used to create my Jedi Robes:

Tunics: McCall's 3450
    Outer Robe: Simplicity 9887

A patterns I found for tunics this morning is:

Simplicity 5840
    Also check out the padawansguide.com for info on the Tabbards and Obi.

If you have any questions just let us know.
  15. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    MY wife finished my inner tunic last night and she had done a wonderful job on it. She really has a talent for it. Next we will be working on the outer tunic and then the robe. It so cool to see it come together.
  16. zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Master

star 4
    hi guys; my robe is done....any does it look great! cant wait to show you. i read "i jedi" also, very informational. my wife is cutting out the pattern for my outer robe. going down to the leather shop to pick up belt and boot supplies. i will make sure that i take note of prices for anyone who want to make a belt. i am modifying a pair of boots i ordered online. hope to see some of you guys [and gals] sunday.
  17. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Looking forward to seeing the robe up close Zhi-don. Since my wife will be starting mine rather soon. I need to get a good look at one up close. Also I will be bringing my parks Saber to the meeting on Sunday and possibly my inner tunic as well so people can see it.
  18. Theatrix Jedi Knight

star 1
    Regading Halloween costumes, we are finishing of our Clone Troopers. As a matter of fact we are working on them this Sunday from 1 p.m. to around 9 p.m. So if you have ever been interested in vacuum forming or general costume building drop on by. You can get directions by e-mailing me at:

theatrix@att.net

I know there is a get together this weekend for OC Fan Force, but I have to work when the bulk of our group is available.

Have fun in Irvine.

Tim
    aka
    Theatrix
  19. Kyps-dozen Jedi Knight

star 2
    hey Teatrix...D_A would love to ba a 501st...pm her, please!!!!!
  20. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Theatrix,

In the future can you let us know of this stuff a little in advance. :D I think it would be great if we could get together and see some of this stuff as a group.
  21. zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Master

star 4
    hi guys;

picked up a pattern for jedi tunics. simplicity 5840 or 0606. i will bring it with. looking foward to seeing everyone.
  22. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    Hiya'
    I'm new to this thread, I'm Jauhzmynn.
    Zhi-Don sent me a link to here. DA, thank you for the compliment on my Jedi Garb. I'm the chick in the Shades dressed as a Jedi. :D I have other ideas too. I have a jade colored ankle length dress(Full skirt portion) that has alternaiting plain and embrodiered sections in the skirt and bodice.(have to see it). Short sleeved so it's NOT hot. It's very simple and elegant. I tried it on w/ the cream tunic you saw, obi and tabords and it ROCKS. I have another, same style but a dark golden,honey color.
    Thanks again DA.

jauhzmynn
  23. darth_avery Jedi Master

star 3
  24. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    MY TUNICS ARE COMPLETE! So is the tabbards and obi. I will be bringing them to the meting as well. My wife did an awesome job.
    Now I just need the robe, but that will begin soon.
  25. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Well we saw Zhi-don's robe on Sun. and it was awesome. If anyone is making one I suggest you talk to him and see if you can get a look at it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.