main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Pablo's Hyperspace Q & A Drop Box Summaries Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd start a topic for this separate from the general Hyperspace discussion thread.

Pablo started a sort-of "Questions about SW and Episode III" thread in the Celebrity Talks forum at the OS.

I thought I'd summarize the relevant info here - with any *cool* stuff having to be highlighted.

Pablo seems to update it every day, but I'll just summarize every few days.

I'm duplicating here what I wrote in the Hyperspace Discussion thread.

******* SUMMARY BEGINS ***********

- there may be a couple more casting announcements, but it depends

- there are many different locations in Episode III - probably the most

- the webdocs should be monthly releases and should eventually be made available to the general public

- there's not too many unpublished photos and such from the OT left - it's often 30 pics of say, a Biker Scout from different angles

- by the end of spring, we should see the "future" of Hyperspace and the OS

- THE DUEL SPOILERS WARNING (slight spoiler) - the fight pretty much "exhausts the Jedi bag of tricks"

- the EU character may or may not make the final cut, it's impossible to say at this point

- it is POSSIBLE to get Ewan, Hayden, or Natalie in for a webchat - with the greatest possibility first and descending from there - but it is totally unknown at this point

- the GL Selects will start soon, and will run concurrently with the BTH pics

- the CW campaign stories written after the Episode III script was finalized last summer will tend to telegraph some of the themes and areas Episode III will cover - some stories more than others - they'll get you "familiar with the state of the galaxy" for Episode III

- PALPATINE SPOILER - we should see why Palps looks so scary in ROTJ but didn't really in TPM and AOTC

- the OS and Hyperspace will be staying away from leaking PLOT POINTS, at least up until close before May 2005 - we obviously know or can guess many of the characters and vehicles in Episode III - but what exactly HAPPENS is the key

- Pablo recommends staying away from the trailers, though it will be difficult - because they have to be made for the average fan to get them excited - so there WILL be things in the trailer that us hardcores prolly wouldn't want to see before opening night

- Episode III will make us look at TPM and AOTC in different ways

- our favorite droids will probably get about as much screen time as they did in ESB

- the website will reveal the title of Episode III by the end of the year

- BTH: they get about 5 at a time and figure out what order to release them in - Pablo says there's always one "loner" in the group that no one understands and sits in a corner by himself - and Pablo points to the pic of the Queen of Naboo as an example of this

- evidently some of the non-main Jedi have dialogue - but then, they theoretically did in AOTC as well

- BTH: the reason we haven't seen Obi-Wan yet is because some actors have individual control over the release of photographs - so hopefully later we WILL see some sweet sweet Obi-Wan

- contrary to rumor (I assume this is the 3SA or "ain't it cool news"), Lucas has NOT shot multiple endings for Episode III

That's about it for now.

February 7 - 10

- The Duel will probably be something like a "cross" between the big duels in TPM and ESB - in that it will be very skillful, yet very emotionally charged. Pretty much what we expected.

- The BTH pics with Anakin and Luke looking so similar were picked for their VISUAL similarity ... don't read any plot similarities into it. ;)

- we're (as mentioned before) not going to see the extremely cool ARC troopers in Episode III.

**** slight LOCATION SPOILERS **** Don't expect an explanation of Yoda's home planet or species, also don't expect to see the creepy warehouse district from the end of AOTC - although that could always change.

- the movie does an outstanding job of bridging the PT and the OT, but don't go in e

2. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "our favorite droids will probably get about as much screen time as they did in ESB"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call me an uber nerd, but to me, that was the best news of them all! :D

I love Threepio! [face_love]

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for words!

3. zeaband

zeaband Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2003
    I dont get it, did the droids get alot of time in ESB, becuase thats ok by me.

4. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Hey Mace Windy, You're an Uber Nerd!! :p

5. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    did the droids get alot of time in ESB

Yep. On the whole, the droids got a fair amount of screen time in each OT movie. In the PT, however, their roles have diminished somewhat, hence the statement that their time would increase is a bit of a blessing for some fans (and uber nerds ;)).

6. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The droids have been pretty annoying and silly in the PT. More screen time sounds like a threat to me.

7. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Alright, it's been about a week, so here's my latest installment in updates.

February 11-19

- We'll see at least 2 Jedi Council members zipping around in their cute little fighters.

- No new female villains (I assume that puts the Asajj Ventress rumors to rest, unless one doesn't consider her "new").

- no lightsabers working underwater, a la Kit Fisto in CW: Chapter 5.

- expect the 1st trailer before December - and don't expect a Superbowl spot.

- there be many new locations, both planet-wise and new locations in planets we've already seen before.

- there's a pretty decent chance of getting Hayden or Ewan to do a webchat, but almost nil for Lucas or Harrison Ford (on a 1-10 scale); Natalie Portman Pablo gives a -18 - looks like we won't be hearing from her.

- we probably won't see Jedi spirits but the disappearing/Jedi Ghost ability will be explained.

- Pablo calls Sifo-Dyas a red herring that has apparently worked too well. 8-}

- we will NOT being seeing Darth Maul, so those fanboy dreams of seeing Darth Maul with a robotic lower half will have to die.

- the marriage is difficult for Padme and Anakin - they are both busy and Anakin is away fighting in bizarre locales.

- Pabs says there are NO plans to add in more Ghosts to the end scene in ROTJ - Praise the Lord.

- ** slight Jedi Fighter spoilers ** - Obi-Wan's fighter has a green coloring, while Anakin's is red.

- no Dexter, no young Han Solo.

- TPM will be viewed in a different light after Episode III (the question asked if "anyone or anything in TPM" would be).

- we won't get to see any overt mention of Palpatine's supposed "anti-alien" bias that was developed in the EU. I'm sure Lucas just doesn't have time. ;)

- ** slight Jedi fighting spoilers ** - We won't see as many Jedi fighting together as in, say, the Geonosis Arena battle - now the Jedi pretty much lead their own group of Clonetroopers.

- KIT FISTO SLIGHT SPOILERS - Apparently, we're not going to see that great grin from Kit Fisto - the war has done hell to his dental work.

- The Duel LOCATION SPOILERS - At least part of The Duel will apparently take place on that location made famous in the ROTJ novelization - Pablo calls it "the stuff of legend".

- Chewbacca SPOILER - Chewie isn't going to have any direct contact with Obi-Wan in Episode III, as it stands now, so when they meet in Mos Eisley, it's for the first time as far as we know.

- Anakin's DOWNFALL slight SPOILER - Anakin and Padme's relationship will have something to do with Anakin's downfall and turn to the DS.

- Neither Pellaeon nor Winter will be in the movie, nor will Z-95 Headhunters or Cloakshape Fighters.

- The Prophecy slight SPOILER - We're not going to hear the Prophecy mentioned in its entirety - that will prolly be left up to the novel or the EU to fill in.

- as we've figured, we're not going to see every single remaining Jedi wiped out onscreen - it's not necessary, and there's plenty of time over the following 20 years for Vader to track them all down.

8. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    Good stuff MAUL! Thank you very much for keeping us informed! :D

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for words!

9. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    Thanks GARTH_MAUL ! :)

There are some interesting tidbits... SO Padme plays part in his downfall... Glad to see she's not only used for the twins. ;)
    Is it because she dies or something else entirely?
    Something to ponder...

10. Tee-Sin_Quay

Tee-Sin_Quay Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2001
    Hey Garth, whats with the random highlighting in your summaries?

I see no spoilers that you've supposedly highlighted, just matter of fact statements which reveal little to nothing about the film.
    Sorry to moan (which face it we fanboys do best) but I don't see the logic in it.

Remember HS is an official source and so is Pablo ;)

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Welcome, Tee-Sin.

I haven't seen you around these parts before, but that could be my blindness more than your absence.

Over the past year, we've had some very...passionate debates in this forum as to what exactly constitutes a spoiler.

Before, any OS material was NOT considered spoiler material, as I'm sure you're aware. But it was the news that Chewbacca was going to be in Episode III that started off the debate - there was a surprisingly large number of people who didn't want to know that before seeing the movie.

Now, to be considerate to the UNBELIEVABLY WIDE variety of what is considered "spoilers", we try to confine *any* info from the OS, Hyperspace, or elsewhere to their specific threads.

For this thread, I just thought I'd black-light some of the material that I believed some people might not want to know.

Most of it IS harmless, but you never know. Particularly new locations, characters, weapons, anything with The Duel or Anakin's Turn to the Dark - no one wants to know that.

As Pablo said, the biggest spoilers for Episode III are going to be the plot details.

12. Tee-Sin_Quay

Aug 5, 2001
    I know you were doing a weekly summary Garth but since there was alot of info for today I'd thought I'd help you out a bit:

25th Feb Summary:

- Lucas has yet to make any selections for the his Select Photos (so basically we'll have to wait a bit longer for those )

- Pablo said he'd be going to the reshoots and will continue the Set Diary feature we had during production, but this of course depends on the length of the reshoots.

- No characters in EP3 has afros (Glad that got settled :p )

- Palpatine's Royal Red Guards do more than just stand around however Pablo hesitates to say its any kind of action.

- All the new planets in EP3 have names, however some planets' descriptions have been swapped around. Apparently at least one new planet has sneaked its way into a previous issue of Holonet News ;)

- Ki-Adi-Mundi's role is the same as the previous two films, he has a line "here or there" and some action.

- Jocasta Nu is not in EP3 (I think this was covered a few months back when Pablo did a previous webchat)

- Pablo said he will avoid any further questions on the Jedi spirit plot point, however EP3 adds a subtext to the last shot of in ROTJ wghere we see Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin as spirits.

- Episode 3 will have some new short aliens with "brief but important roles".

- Aside from the troopers and pilots there are no CGI variations in Clonetrooper armour at this point.

- There have been shots featuring Grievous turned over to ILM but none are as yet finished, Pablo isn't even sure they have finished the paint job on him yet.

- There maybe more than 12 web docs due to the fact that Hyperspace caused them to start earlier.

- Pablo states that Bai Ling's character (Senator Bana Breemu) is about as significant as the other new senators that were brought up in corresponding casting announcements.

- The Veranda in Padme's Apartment was, according to Pablo, always there before the Clone Wars, its just we never got to see it based on the nagle of the shots ;)

- Pablo confirms that Dooku is the political leader of the Separatists whereas Grievous is the Military Commander, the rest of the Separatists are more like a leadership committee.

- Pablo thinks there'll only be one shot in Episode 3 that could possibly be done as a slow mo.

- There is no Sullust in Episode III and its unlikely we'll see any Sullustians.

- In Pablo's opinion we will feel sympathy for Anakin "to some degree". We do get a sense that he is in over his head.

- Pablo tends to sympathise with Threepio in EPIII

13. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    "Pablo tends to sympathise with Threepio in EPIII"

Once again, the new news of my favorite droid leaves me the most estatic! :D

:) Mace Windy,
    too windy for words!

14. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Thanks, Tee-Sin. I really am kind of busy right now, so I've usually been doing the updates every week or so.

Doesn't seem to be too much action in this thread, though I suppose people can read it and not reply, because there's really no point.

15. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    - No characters in EP3 has afros (Glad that got settled )

The funnier part was that he said some of the crew workers had afros! [face_laugh]

16. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    - Jocasta Nu is not in EP3 :_| :_| :_|

17. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    ^ Just Kidding ;)

18. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Alrighty, new update, mostly to do with the newly announced baddie. Wait, this is Hyperspace, so I can say General Grievous, right?

- The last Making Of #4 was filmed probably about a year ago (Jan/Feb '03).

- The "evil child" concept art didn't make its way into Episode III (too bad, that baby was scary).

- The voice of Grievous in the CW shorts is not the same as the voice actor for Episode III.

- Padme and Obi-Wan *slight spoilers* Despite the fact that Obi-Wan says in AOTC that Padme "is not to be trusted", they are close friends in Episode III - there is no animosity.

- no Corellia (as it stands now) in Episode III.

- most of the music for Making Of #4 was from the Mos Espa marketplace music from TPM.

- there will be "several" types of new Republic capital ships.

I have to quote this one verbatim:

Q: "Is Supershadow finished editing the saber duel scenes yet?"

A: "He got a large portion of it done, but he got the bad news that his unicorn was sick, so Santa had to airlift him home to Emerald City." [face_laugh]

- job openings are posted on lucasfilm.com.

- slight Easter Egg spoiler: There's evidently a spoken "1138" reference in the script - don't know if it's in the final cut yet.

- Grievous should be in all sorts of publishing before Episode III.

- Jedi Ghosts explanation slight spoiler: Evidently the quote from the Annotated Screenplays, where Lucas calls it "one of those things that will never get explained" still rings true after Episode III.

- we'll see about 70 BTHs in total, about as many Selects as before - they're just coming later. And there's a new image series on the way that's "unlike anything else out there."

- we can expect a Grievous Databank entry before April 8th. Why before that date, I have no idea - obviously something is going to happen then. Maybe "A New Threat: Boba Fett #5" is going to be released then.

- Pablo really likes Grievous' dialogue.

- Pablo says that some people will be upset with what ends up being cut, but too bad. If ANH fans had all the info open to them at that time, would they be mad that a trench run, a meeting with Jabba and a reunion with Biggs were cut?

IMHO, that is one problem with knowing so much about the movies before they came out. And that's one reason I don't read the novelizations before the films are out.

- In the "Seasoned By Combat" BTH, Hayden is holding a stunt prop lightsaber - slimmer and more compact than the real thing.

- Qui-Gon's importance in TPM is interesting, considering he's not in any of the other movies. Yet his actions and philosophies obviously affect things, and Pablo says we'll see this gradual transformation of Obi-Wan from his Padawan self to his ANH self - and Episode III is somewhere in this grey area between.

- Grievous contributes both to some of the darker moments in Episode III and one of the "fun" moments along the line of SW and Indiana Jones.

- we'll see some OT Databank additions with the arrivals of the DVDs.

That's about it for now.

19. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Actually Garth about the Jedi Ghost thing:

The whole quote (not just what you quoted) is still very true except for the word never. Which means we get to know how the Jedi retain their identity.

20. Obi-Bob

Obi-Bob Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 1999
    Awesome thread, Garth.

And thanks for blacking out some stuff. I don't know if I want to know it, but as of now, I don't.

A little info, such as provided by you, is enough to keep me from going on a self destructive spoiler-bender and waking up hung over and hating it. :)

21. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Ha ha ha. I know, Terrious. I was too clever for my own good - I was trying to paraphrase it in a way to call attention to that quote without giving too much away, but I blew it.

Thanks for the correction.

22. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    good info.

as always- thanks for the update. :)

23. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Yeah Garth you're doing a good job, keeping us updated like this.

Even if you make a few mistakes :p

24. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Finally a new update in Pablo's Q & A Drop Box - it's been over a week, but Pablo says he's increasingly busy, especially with non-SW stuff (booooo), and the number of questions have been dying down.

Here's the latest:

- not sure of the exact # of Jedi still alive at the beginning of Episode III - this will be something for the EU to figure out.

- someone asked if the SW Insider cover of the new villain General Grievous was the final product or an interpretation; Pablo said the cover is an ILLUSTRATION and not a CG model. That doesn't really answer whether or not it is the final "look" of Grievous, but from other data, I doubt it.

- Steve (Sansweet?) will be at Jedi-Con.

- Someone commented how Padme disregarded Palpatine's advice in TPM and left Coruscant to go back to Naboo; in AOTC, she leaves Tatooine and goes to Geonosis. In Episode III, will she be offered an opportunity to leave a safe haven and experience conflict? Yup.

- apparently no Ithorians were filmed in Episode III.

- Mace Windu *SPOILERS* Pablo says Mace Windu does not face his "doom" alone, but he definitely lasts the longest.

- Opening space battle *SPOILERS* Apparently there will be only 2 Jedi pilots in this battle. I'm sure we can all figure out whom they are.

- Someone asked for an irrelevant piece of dialogue in the film. Pablo says OK, what about "Magnetiiiiize!" Pablo: but, for whatever reason, read it in a Werner Kempler-type voice. (GM: WTF?)

- poor Pabs didn't get a cameo.

- Shaak Ti is still around as a Council member.

- there is a slim chance (i.e., not good) that Mark Hamill will do the voice of Grievous. I personally think that would be cool and fitting.

- Pablo said there might be a slight continuity problem with the whole Jedi Ghost issue - but he says the problem isn't with Tales of the Jedi/Old Republic Jedi becoming Jedi Ghosts, but NJO-era Jedi "like that (female) Twi'lek". But it's not a big deal and people will get over it, "like they got over Jaster Mareel, Anakin building Threepio, and 1000 years of the Republic."

- no plans to re-release TPM and AOTC into theatres before May 2005. Of course, I'd bet personally that that could change.

- we won't see any interaction between Anakin and the Naberrie family.

- remember Pablo said there was an EU cameo - it is still in so far, but he said if it IS cut in the future, they'll let us know who is was and what the scene entailed. Gooders.

- the restoration of the OT for the DVDs goes beyond what was done for the Special Edition - even those have been eroded by time to a certain extent.

- Yoda *SPOILERS* Will be involved in more than one action sequence.

- Pablo doesn't know the real title of Episode III at this point (at least, that's what he implies, when someone asked if any of the titles floating around out there were close).

- ha! Here's my question: "Will Grievous be scary, or is he going to be more like, say, Megatron from the old Transformers cartoons? ('Almost enough energon to rule the galaxy!')

Pablo says: Scary can mean a lot of things. He's not mindless killer monster scary, but to me, he's a great mix of an old fashioned sci-fi villian clothed in very modern style and accessories. Megatron's not too bad an analogy; he's the kind of villain that seems to wallow in villainry.

- I then asked if he would be believable as a Jedi-killer. Pablo says: see for yourself on April 8th.

- Trisha Biggar's quote on Anakin's costume has been misinterpreted to mean that his costume will evolve over the course of Episode III - NOT true. It was meant more about his costume in the PT overall.

- there will be no direct debate about the "living" Force vs. the "unifying" Force in Episode III, but there will be "food for thought" on this issue.

- hopefully certain scenes won't be cut that show a rather "offputting" display of humanness in the interactions between Jedi Generals and Clone Commanders.

- Pablo says the "DVD covers" that have been "leaked" are NOT tru

25. Tee-Sin_Quay

Aug 5, 2001
    Oh yeah you forgot the whole memory erased thing Pablo hinted that Lucas was only referring to Threepio, so R2 may not get his memory erased!

I hope the interaction between the Jedi and the Clone Commanders does survive the cut though, cos that'd be cool and rather chilling considering what's likely to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.