main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Pablo's Hyperspace Q & A Drop Box Summaries Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Anakin said the line in Episode II, and hasn't Pablo said that someone different would say it in this film?

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    New Update - Jan. 29th

- Q: how much does Obi-Wan know of Ani and Padme?

A: Not all the Jedi are oblivious - Obi-Wan's a smart guy.

- we will get no teasers or trailers until March.

- originally the planet montage was going to be at the start of the film and each planet would be the home planet of one of the Separatist big-wigs. This is no longer the case.

- Vanity Fair said 8 planets for ROTS; it's still 12 planets, but 4 of them are the montage Clone Wars planets.

- Q: "Pablo, you said once that the character who ordered the clones was seen onscreen in Ep2. The new "Labyrinth of Evil" novel says that Sifo-Dyas himself ordered the clones. Do you ... um... still stand by your earlier statement? Or, has something changed since you spoke on the matter?"

- A: "Back when I answered that, it was going to be Dooku pulling all the strings. Looks like the novel gets the final world, since it really isn't touched upon in Episode III.

- Q: Are midichlorians a big part of ROTS?

- A: No, it's part of a backstory that 80% of the audience won't understand.

- Q: the 2 completed shots of Grievous show him hunching. Is that his normal pose? I wanted him more menacing.

- A: He hunches when he walks and uses the cape to great dramatic effect. It's when he rises to his full height that you realize he means business.

I want a cape. :(

- Anakin doesn't use Force lightning - read the latest Insider to find out why. I wish mine would arrive.

That's it for now.

3. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    So I guess that puts us in the 20% ;)

Ah, Obi-Wan... I swear one of the things I'm most looking forward to is the look on both his and Anakin's face when they find out Padme's pregnant.

4. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Well, you gotta figure Anakin will know as soon as he spends a night with her. ;)

"Milady, your pajamas are more suitable for an address to the Senate than peaceful slumber!"

[face_laugh]

I'm wondering just how much has changed in the plot from last summer 2003 - Pablo said we'd definitely see a resolution to the whole Sifo-Dyas/Kamino thing, but I guess not now. I'm glad I was right that it was supposed to be Dooku based off of AOTC.

Oh - I forgot that Pablo said there might be a few small differences between the "normal" theatrical print and the digital print - b/c Lucas has more time to work on the digital print.

Remember the holding of hands at the wedding at the end of AOTC? Didn't see it in the theatre.

5. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    That's odd that Pablo says LoE has the final word, since it never actually says (from an omniscient POV) that Sifo-Dyas ordered them. All it says is that Sidious told Dooku that Sifo-Dyas did (which could well be a lie). But I guess he could mean it in the sense that the plans for it being Dooku were nixed.

Although I rather like the idea from LoE that Sifo-Dyas ordered them because he sensed the coming darkness, and actually helped bring it about when Sidious capitalized on that groundwork and twisted it to his own ends. It's a more interesting twist than "It was Dooku, and he lied about his name" (which I agree, did look like the direction they were going in AOTC).

And in the department of "Things Only I'd Be Interested In", it looks like Mustafar has a native species, the guys seen riding those giant bugs in the teaser.

6. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Yeah, that is the native species of Mustafar. They mine something out of the lava, which is why there's platforms floating in it and actual buildings on the surface. ;)

7. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    In LoE, Yoda says Sifo-Dyas ordered the clones - at least, there is a record of Sifo=Dyas ordering the clone army.

The record could have been put there by Dooku or even Sidious, I suppose - although I can't believe he would have personal access to the Jedi Archives.

8. classixboy

classixboy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I think it's interesting that Luceno left the whole Syfo-Dyas sub-plot vague, while still seeming to "answer" the mystery.

We still really have no idea who Sifo-Dyas is/was, just that he was a confidant and friend of Dooku. Garth_Maul is right to remind us: we hear it on Yoda's authority that Sifo-Dyas ordered the clones from Kamino. But who knows what the nature of Yoda's "evidence" is. And if Sifo-Dyas was so concerned about the "coming darkness," then why wouldn't he take his concerns to the Jedi Council directly? What was he hoping to achieve by secretly ordering a clone army?!

On the whole, I remain dissatisfied by Luceno's apparent solution to the mystery of Sifo-Dyas.

But a great book, nevertheless.

9. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    It has to have been Sifo-Dyas because of the whole relationship between him and Dooku. He was closest to Dooku, but in the end Dooku had to kill him to keep anyone from finding out about the army too soon. Sifo-Dyas ordering the army has to be coincedental, the beauty of Sidious is both his foresight and his ability to adapt to whatever is thrown in his path.

10. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    your's hasn't cpme yet either garth?

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Another update. Weird. Maybe they'll be more frequent again.

Feb. 1st

- new Ep. III Databank entries will be available in April or May.

- they're trying to get people for more webchats, like the prinicipal actors, but it's not likely.

That's really about it, I'm not sure why he didn't add these questions to the last one.

12. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    MORE UPDATES! Pablo updates more when he is overseas, because he has less to do. :D

Feb 2nd

I'll quote this one, because it's worth reading:

Q: Rick McCallum had been quoted in saying that the last ten minutes of Episode III will be a dream come true. Do you agree with his statement and with a movie that will be the darkest of them all, how will the last moments be happy for the viewer?

A: Happy? Depends how twisted you are. Emotional and powerful are definitely a good words to describe it. And yes, I do agree with that statement, but I would increase ten minutes to more.

- Hayden and Natalie haven't been interviewed much in the Webdocs b/c it's more about the crew, plus Hayden was interviewed for the DVD Making of Vader.

- the webcam will be present for some of the soundtrack recording. We won't get to hear any clips though. :(

Another quote:

Q:pablo, any chance that we will see or hear about Quinlan Vos in ROTS?

A: Here's a non-answer for you: Say, what is happening on Boz Pity anyway?
    Why do I recognize that name? Is it in Labyrinth of Evil?

Feb 4th

- quite a bit has changed since principal photography - mostly in sequencing. Scenes that were written as standing alone in the script have now been intertwined with other scenes, and that adds much to the drama. Much of the opening TF sequence has been cut - Pabs thinks Lucas tossed in a whole series of cliffhangers just to see what worked and what didn't.

- Lucas does take input from LFL employees, and he does some selected screenings for close friends and colleagues, but he gets the final say of course.

Another quote on the Sifo-Dyas thing (I suspect this is one thing that has changed from principal photography):

Q: The greatest mystery in Episode II for me was that of Sifo Dyas, but you said "it's not really touched on in Episode III"... So, you're saying that the entire Sifo Dyas mystery just disappears completely and we're just left guessing who, why, and where?

A: Yes -- Sifo-Dyas and who ordered the clones isn't addressed in Episode III, which leaves us with the clues from Episode II that point to Tyranus and Sidious being behind the story. This is why Labyrinth of Evil got to run with this particular thread, and tell the story that it did.

- Matt Stover's ROTS novelization is easily the best novelization of the SW films, and one of the best SW novels that Pablo has ever read - he finished it in one weekend, surprising himself.

- Q: there's that pic from the latest SW Insider where Anakin wakes up in a cold sweat from a nightmare he had about Padme. Will we get to see this nightmare?

A: Yes.

Q: Which character steals the film?
    A: Pabs hasn't hidden that he think it's Palpatine. He says "perhaps you'll agree."

- we will see Grievous doing some spinning with the sabers sort of like in the Clone Wars cartoons.

- his symbol isn't supposed to be Mandalorian-like - just some sort of warrior symbol from his culture.

- we're not going to see Grievous' actual face during the film.

- Chewie and Tarfful share the same scenes, but Chewie gets more closeups. :D

That's it for now.

13. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    - we will see Grievous doing some spinning with the sabers sort of like in the Clone Wars cartoons

Please tell me he doesn't hold a saber in his foot in the movie...

14. classixboy

May 18, 2002
    Pablo: Sifo-Dyas and who ordered the clones isn't addressed in Episode III, which leaves us with the clues from Episode II that point to Tyranus and Sidious being behind the story. This is why Labyrinth of Evil got to run with this particular thread, and tell the story that it did.

LAME!

This is almost unforgiveable! I suspected this might be coming, but now I just can't accept it.

Grr.

If it's not an important plot point, then why all the mystery?! Why are we supposed to care when Obi Wan's like "wha-wha-wha?!" when he hears the name Sifo-Dyas?! Why are we supposed to care when Obi Wan has his conversation with Yoda & Mace? It is SET UP TO BE A MYSTERY and now Lucas is just dropping the ball?!

LAME!

Or is Lucas' directorial style (Sidious' scheme?) a kind of sublime narrative misdirection? ...

15. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    A: Pabs hasn't hidden that he think it's Palpatine. He says "perhaps you'll agree."
    Grrr... I highly doubt it. I hate that man so much.. *points siggy*

16. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Somehow this whole Sifo-Dyas thing got reeeally blown out of proportion, in pretty much the same way everyone though Boba Fett should have a big role in ROTS.

But the truth is, neither is of particular importance to the story that needs to be told. It was a mystery, sure, but not one that had much impact in the plot... it could have, but Lucas chose not to muddle the story with it. The personal elements are the focus of the movie.

Dooku turned to the dark side fully after killing Sifo-Dyas, a Jedi... it's really a great nod to Anakin.

Dustin, I'm trying to figure out this Boz Pity thing... I know I've heard it before, but I can't remember which EU lit it's in... I feel like I saw it in the comics, but I couldn't find it.

I'm SO glad to hear about the novelization... Stover is really the best EU writer since Zahn. If "Shatterpoint" is any indiction, ROTS will haunt me for days.

And interesting that we get to see the nightmare Anakin has about Padmé... that's a convention SW hasn't used before. I suppose it's a parallel to Luke's vision in the cave. Wicked.

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    "What's in there?"

"Only what you bring with you."

[face_devil]

There simply isn't going to be time to dwell on the Sifo-Dyas mystery. It could be cleared up either DURING the fight with Dooku "I know you erased that information!", or after when Anakin and Obi-Wan discuss things with the Jedi Council

18. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Lots of interesting information here!

I do wish that the Sifo-Dyas thing was cleared up, because the way I saw it... well...
    I just think they built up a lot of AOTC as a mystery, and perhaps I let it get to me a bit more than I should've.
    The whole "mystery" feeling in AOTC is probably the thing I love the most about that film.

Grevious sounds like he's gonna be a great character, can't wait to see him in action!

19. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    Yeah, to suddenly introduce a character who died at around the same time as the events of The Phantom Menace. To have a character who ordered the clones (the most pivotal thing that swung the balance of favour in Palpatines lap) and also have this characters name changed from Sido-Dyas to Sifo Dyas

but then completely ignore him in Episode 3! Is unforgivable really.
    It was bad enough having no mention of Count Dooku in The Phantom Menace.

20. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003

The real question should be, why did we need Sifo Dyas to begin with? Dooku could have just as easily ordered the clones. However, the reason that there is a Sifo Dyas is so it there would be an actual Jedi who ordered the clones- a Jedi who was dissastisfied with the Order, and one who was Dooku's best ally. Then Dooku had to kill him to complete his transformation to the Sith. This is all very interesting, but not at all relevant to the plot of ROTS.

I have no idea why people are making such a big deal about it. I wouldn't have mind hearing about it in the movie, but they decided it had to go for pacing/story whatever. Fine. We did get a satisfactory explaination in "Labyrinth of Evil."

People don't seem to be upset that we'll get no explaination about how Anakin got to be a Knight... I just don't get it.

21. classixboy

May 18, 2002
    RebelScum77: the reason that there is a Sifo Dyas is so it there would be an actual Jedi who ordered the clones- a Jedi who was dissastisfied with the Order, and one who was Dooku's best ally. Then Dooku had to kill him to complete his transformation to the Sith. This is all very interesting, but not at all relevant to the plot of ROTS.

(a) We do not know from AOTC nor will we know from ROTS (according to Pablo) that Sifo Dyas was dissatisfied with the Jedi order.

(b) We do not know from AOTC nor will we know from ROTS (according to Pablo) that Sifo Dyas was Dooku's best ally.

(c) We do not know from AOTC nor will we know from ROTS (according to Pablo) that Dooku had to kill Sifo Dyas to complete his transformation to the Sith.

The clone army is a pretty darn important plot point to the saga. But without any on-screen resolution to the question of "Who is Sifo Dyas?", then what, I ask, is the point?

22. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    They could indirectly mention it by having Palpatine say something like "everything is proceeding as I have foreseen. I have long known about your hidden clone army. I allowed it to be built."

I agree with RS_77, it's just not that important.

The viewer is left with the impression that either Dooku ordered the army or he killed the guy that ordered the army.

Without Labyrinth of Evil, I figured that Dooku and Sidious cooked up the Clone Wars between them, to give Palpatine more power, kill Jedi, and increase the amount of death, fear, corruption and despair in the GFFA, which all works to increase the power of the Dark Side.

23. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    I agree with classixboy.
    What was the point?

Oh well. I think I've covered that.

Moving on,
    I am very interested in the nightmare scene. So many possibilities.

24. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Ack! Dustin!... Boz Pity is mentioned at the very end of Obsession 3.

Obi-Wan: They are wrong. I know she's [Asajj] alive!

Anakin: "Don't worry. Your instincts were correct, Master. The droid was carrying an encyrpted travel log, Durge dropped off another agent just a week ago... on Boz Pity... the Graveyard World!"

That makes it sound like Asajj is on Boz Pity. But how does Quinlan fit into this? Could he be that agent, undercover?

What the hell's going on? I love it. :p

25. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    The whole Sifo-Dyas mystery was one of the most intriguing aspects of aotc. How many times have you seen a new user ask who is Sifo-Dyas? I know I was guilty of it. It is something that fans were interested in, not just those who read all the eu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.