main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR Official - Pre-Order Available now

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthVengeant, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    It's official.

Star Wars The Old Republic is available to pre-order in three versions. STILL no release date however.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110721

and

http://www.swtor.com/preorder

Collectors Edition $149.99 (much more reasonable price than thought)
    Digital Deluxe Edition (download only) $79.99
    Standard Edition $59.99

At Gamestop : Link

At Amazon : Link

(for those that don't know this is a PC only game)

2. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    £40 for the UK. Hmmm...
    I'm not sure I'm willing to commit that money quite yet. I have been spending a lot recently.

EDIT: That being said, I love the cover art. Nice that they've kept it in line with KotOR 1 and 2.

3. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Hmm. $150... Not sure about that. I mean, clearly better than $220, as originally thought, but still a lot. It's that stupid Malgus figure in which I have absolutely no interest that's causing the price to be that high. I'd much rather just not get that and save ~$50.

EDIT: Well, that didn't take long. A thread on the TOR website scared me into pre-ordering the CE on Amazon. lol

Hey, at least I can cancel the order later and someone did have the good idea of just selling the Malgus figure. If I was going to buy another figure, anyway, for some exorbitant price, I might as well hawk the Malgus one on eBay and use the proceeds to buy a figure I actually want.

4. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    Posted about this yesterday. Still, very thrilled to have it officially announced this morning.

The price tag is a bit steep- and I, too, could not care less about the Malgus figure. I want that galaxy map, though! I am glad, although not surprised, the pre-order includes a month of playtime. I'll be getting the collector's edition, most likely.

5. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Agreed. I want the map, the music, and the journal. I'd have been willing to pay up to $100 for everything in the pre-order, minus the Malgus figure. But, hey. At least with Amazon I have plenty of time to get buyer's remorse and cancel the order. lol

6. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    For UK buyers who are after the Collector's edition, recommend you ignore Game and get a copy from Amazon US, it'll save you a bit of money.

Also, I've heard that Game don't have pre-order codes yet, which may or may not be a dealbreaker.

Regardless, I might have just got a pre-order of the Collector's Edition on Amazon US... I feel a tiny bit guilty now.

7. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Preordered the CE. This game will be epic.

8. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    The Collector's Edition is already sold out on Origin which is the EA Store, so the official source is already sold out. So if you were debating getting the CE, if you don't hurry to gamestop or other places, the decision is going to be made for you. :)

9. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Bought mine on Amazon. It was an easy decision.

10. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Any idea when it comes out now? I know if I order at Amazon it won't be charged to my card until it's out. I'd like to have an idea when I'm gonna get hit for 150. Though, that is definitely what I want.

11. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    I just got off the phone with my local GameStop- only $25 down- Collector's Edition! Going tomorrow to pay.

A guy on our forums said he ordered his CE from a Finnish retailer- should be out next week... I'm not sure about that, but... lol

12. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Got my CE ordered and paid for and code put in today!

W00t W00t!

13. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I seriously doubt they'd open pre-orders and a week later publish the game.

14. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I'll not be preordering because I actually don't know that I'll have time to play, once it comes out. :p But I sure wish we had a release date.

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Lucky all of you in Europe and North America. Won't be released to any other markets in a known timeframe....ftl.

16. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    It's not entirely unlikely that I might never actually play the game that I just spent $150 on. lol

Allegedly, it could come out in October, which is a really bad time of year for me in terms of free time. I could be waiting a few months to actually play the game, but at least I'd have the cool CE stuff... and be able to sell that stupid Malgus figure.

17. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    No one's discussed the System Requirements here.

System Requirements :

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000 or better / Intel Core2 Duo Processor 2.0 Ghz or better

RAM: At least 1.5 GB or better for XP / 2 GB or better for Windows Vista/7 / PC's using built in graphic chipsets 2 GB RAM is recommended.

Hard Drive: 8x DVD-ROM or better

Video: ATI XT800 or better / NVIDIA 7800 or better / Intel 4100 or better. 256 MB minimum video RAM, shader 3.0 or better fully compatible graphics card.

I think that's pretty damn tame and will go a way towards getting the masses interested, I mean SWG ran like a dog with less than a gig of RAM.

The PC I bought in 2007 for £600 would support this, though a change of graphics card would be required.

18. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    I'll probably need to upgrade my main hard drives before this. I have been putting off for too long an upgrade to a set of two Raptor drives and a solid-state drive slaved together in RAID. I think I have only something like 35 gigs left on my main drives. My storage drives are fine on space, but my Raptors are old and low on space.

19. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    If it's just storage of flat data (music, video, docs) that you need, why not go for a NAS device like the Netgear Stora or ReadyNas?

Both support RAID and can be expanded on.

I'd love an SSD or even a rocket drive but it's just too much money at the moment, I'd rather have a faster processor / more ram / blu ray / HD screen on a laptop than an SSD

20. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    Just went to GameStop and got my code! Apparently, a LOT of retailers are being extra slow with the handing out of codes- GameStop is not among them. So, if you're going to pre-order, do it now! you have a chance to get in way before the others get their codes (you entry to early play is based on when you redeem your code)

21. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    From what I've seen of the posts over at the official TOR site, people in other parts of the would should be able to buy up the game as, according to one of the developer's blogs or tweets, the disks are not region specific and once the game launches should not cause problems accessing the gaming servers since anyone can choose to play off of any server. Bioware/EA simply did not feel they could guarantee the quality of game play to your region, hence Australia not showing up in the list. Or so the story goes.

Either way, from what I've seen many Australians are successfully buying their copies from Amazon.

Edit:
    Keep in mind that those system requirements are likely the bare minimum to play with low settings, though Bioware will try to cast their net as wide as possible for potential gamers. What the recommended system requirements will be is probably still being sorted out.

22. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I agree. Smart move, however gamers with the capabilities will want to play this one at max settings.

Ordered my CE from Amazon. It's a shame about the other regions, I've been reading up on it and it seems like there's huge amounts of outrage (as expected) so I would think Bioware would fix it pretty quickly.

23. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Supposedly, EA's been saying for nearly a year that the initial release was only going to be to the US and Europe and the rest would follow afterwards, which isn't totally uncommon for game and movie release.

Course, if that's true, that doesn't lessen the blow to everywhere else that's been left out of the initial launch...not with the amount of hype surrounding this game. It wouldn't surprise me if they try to speed up with all of the complaints going on, but that depends on what work they'd need to do to make that happen and if the schedule they're working on is flexible at all.

And yep, can't say running at minimum specs is necessarily a great thing to try to do unless you have to. If you've got the power, always try to run as close to max quality as possible. [face_mischief]

24. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The biggest thing is we won't have local servers. I'll be waiting to see what the performance is like on OS servers before I even consider getting in on this.

25. Loseytwin12

Loseytwin12 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 14, 2010
    That really bites since there's no release date yet. Haven't we waited long enough?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.