main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official PS2 discussion thread (was 'I want a PS2')

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Rogue_Squad_Leader-, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Squad_Leader-

Rogue_Squad_Leader- Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    i need a PS2 just for a few games. for example TTT-bounty hunter-and clone wars

i already own and xbox and love it

anyone know how i can get a PS2 real cheap?

2. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Buy it used from a video game store like EB. You cab get it even cheaper if you a game too you're bored of.

3. ThePostman

ThePostman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    OR you could just forget about TTT and get a gamecube...Better I think :)

4. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    POSTIE! :D

\\waves\\ :p

5. ThePostman

ThePostman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Howya Doin there :)

It is true I have come out of my hole.

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    ....Either that or you're stalking me. :D

...Of course, I'd rather have Hothy stalk me... [face_mischief]

7. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Don't forget GTA:VC. I'd be careful about buying a used PS2, though. A lot of older PS2 units have a tendency to stop reading disks. Mine went out earlier this year, but Sony was nice enough to repair it for free.

8. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I've had one since launch and It's never done me wrong. Knock on wood.

9. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Consider yourself fortunate then. It's a pretty widespread problem with the first wave units at least. So much so that Sony is repairing the units for free to save themselves from legal problems, no doubt. Normally it costs about $100 to repair a PS2, I believe.

10. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I got mine a couple of months after the system was released. In December of 2000, to be exact. It was almost Christmas and I was shocked to walk into a store and find one. It's worked fine since then, haven't had a single problem.

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Agreed go to a game store and buy a used one.

I use to work at Funcoland and every machine gets tested and played before it is sold so you shouldn't have any thing to worry about.

12. slaythee-30

slaythee-30 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    Buy the games you want to play and some caffeine drinks, then go stay at a PS2 owning friends place for the weekend*. Or invite them to your place if he brings his machine over.

*Or weekends, depending on how good you are ;)

13. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I got my PS2 on the day it was released. I had a problem last week when it stopped reading DVDs.

Know what I did?

I CLEANED all the dust from it and it works perfectly now.

14. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Those with malfunctioning units may be in a minority, but it is a very real problem. I know of a lot of people in my area whose PS2s simply stopped reading discs one day. Mine followed within a few months. Gamepro Magazine had a little article on it in their Watchdog column, which is when I knew it wasn't an isolated problem. My PSX barely works anymore, so I'm naturally a bit wary when it comes to the prospect of buying a used Playstation (1 or 2). But that's just me, I guess.

15. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I have the PS2 but I enjoy playing my gamecube more. I can notice a difference in the quality of the games, mostly in terms of graphics.

16. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    The only reason I have a PS2 anymore is for Vice City. I sold my other games after I bought an Xbox, and have not regretted it one bit. :)

17. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Y'know, if you've already got an XBox and you're looking to get the games that the XBox doesn't get... my advice is to seriously consider a GameCube. Most titles seem to be multi-platform these days, and if the XBox doesn't get it, the GC will. It's certainly a more powerful machine than a PS2, and the games that are on PS2 and GC are usually tweaked a little for GC over what they are on PS2. Plus, GC does get some stuff that PS2 doesn't, just as XBox does.

Just a thought, of course, but personally I'd want to go with the stronger of the two systems.

18. starsage56

starsage56 Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2002
    i pity you because you got an xbox first, but have no fear for there is a posible price drop in the future for the ps2, $50. go buy one.

19. Mace_Windo

Mace_Windo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    A store [face_plain]

20. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm getting a PS2 next Friday when Vice City and TTT come out, are they already out in America?

21. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    "are they already out in America?"

Yes. Vice city came out Tuesday, and TTT came out a week or 2 before that.

22. goraptors

goraptors Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm actually on my 3rd ps2 console. I had to get my previous two exchanged because they weren't reading DVDs. Luckily I got the extended warrenty when I bought the system.

Even though X-box and GC are faster systems, the PS2 is still the king of the consoles when it comes to the number of games available. And it owns the biggest share of the video game market...by far. And you can only get Grand Theft Auto 3 (The highest selling game last year) and 4 on this system plus many more PS2-only games.

But I tell ya, I've been a big metroid fan every since I was a kid....and I may just have to go out and buy a gamecube when metroid prime comes out.

23. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    Well if you want a ps2 becuase of ttt clone wars, and bounty hunter, then your in luck. ALL THREE GAMES WILL BE ON CUBE>

The Two Towers was unoffically anounce a while back at ign. But now EA has confirmed it. THey said that it should be out later this year. With a cube you may miss out on GTA:VC

but you get Metroid Prime, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Mario Sunshine, and the Resident Evil series.

Metroid is going to be a killer game, comes out Nov. 19th.

24. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    I purchased my PS2 today, after having just the Xbox (Well, also the Dreamcast) out of the "next gen" systems. I had Circuit City do a price match on TRU's "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" offer TWICE to supply me with an ample amount of games. My wife had a big hand in buying the system, as she had been looking at games that she wanted. In the time I've had my Xbox (Since launch day), she found it doesn't have the game types she likes, whereas it has a ton for me. She found many more games she is looking for in the PS2 game library. We walked away with 6 games thanks to the deal:

GTA: Vice City
    Contra: Shattered Soldier
    Devil May Cry
    Disney Golf
    Jak & Dexter
    Simpsons Road Rage

I'm not sure what to do with Contra, if I should keep it, or take it back. I've heard it is super short, and don't want to be stuck with a $50 game that I'll finish in a day. I also want FFX, and my wife wants Kingdom Hearts, as well. It feels........weird to be the owner of both the Xbox and PS2. I didn't think it was possible to own both systems, and like them both, by all the hate spewed on the 'net! (Heavy sarcasm)

25. Blix

Blix Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2002
    My brother is buying one after Christmas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.