main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Rebels Collecting Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by starwarschick14, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I know I'm not the only collector here, and I took a look at the past couple pages of threads and didn't see anything like this. So, who else collects? Do you collect anything specific? Have a favorite piece in your collection? Anything coming up in the collecting world that you're looking forward to?

I'm unfortunately one of those completist collectors that feels the need to own anything and everything having to do with Star Wars. Thankfully I haven't really bought anything since San Diego, but I have a feeling my credit cards are going to be very tempted in the next week because I'll be out and about, shopping and sightseeing in Boston with my sister and her 2 friends, visiting from Ohio. Hopefully they'll keep my Star Wars spending in line. :p

There are three components of my collection I especially like: my Code 3 ships, my autograph/art print collection, and my mini-busts. I hope it's a while before the next Code 3 ship is announced, I'm still paying for the last one. :)

There are a couple of places on these boards that I highly recommend to FanForce collectors. One is the JC Collecting Forum. It's friendlier than a lot of other places in the JC and a great way to connect with many fellow collectors. There's also the FanForce Collectors Market, a buying/trading/selling forum for FanForce members only. It's a private board, so if you're interested in joining its membership, drop me a PM and I'll arrange it for you. However, keep in mind that I need to have met you in order to get in. The point of restricting it to FanForce members is to provide a safe, trustworthy environment. I have to be able to vouch for you to let you in. ;)

2. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    (At an C.A meeting)
    Hi I am Chris...amd I am a collector.

I sometimes tend to buy the obscure STAR WARS collectibles.

I typically don't spend the big bucks on stuff. I will wait for the sale or clearance on an item, but have been known to be compulsive from time to time.

I like to collect more of the items that were out and available from the 70's and 80's.

I do love to buy patches.
    Here are some of my favorite ones from ..a long time ago.....
    Star Wars patches

3. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I've grown very fond of the Unleashed figures. So far I have Luke-Hoth, Yoda, Sidious, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme. Some of the earlier figures have been re-leased so I'm trying to get those before they're gone again.

I've also started building a replica lightsaber collection by purchasing a flash gun as used to build the sabers in the OT.

4. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Oh, Unleashed! How could I forget those, another favorite of mine. One of few collectibles that I'm trying to get 2 each of so that I can display them as well as keep them mint in package. :) Three of each in the cases of the rereleased ones, since I'm a packaging variation collector. :p

Yesterday I was at KB Toys at the Cambridgeside Galleria, and they had 3 each of Obi-Wan and Leia unleashed, for anyone who's interested. They also had 4 of the vintage style OTC figures there (Leia, Han, and 2 Obi-Wan). I was kind of shocked that the Leia figure looked sooooooooo bad. Her neck looks really long, her body doesn't look feminine at all, and one of her arms looks longer than the other. It was my first time seeing any of the OTC figures in a store since I haven't been out a whole lot.

I love the vintage stuff too, I don't have a whole lot of it though compared to the rest of my collection. It's hard enough to keep up with what's coming out, going back 20-25 years in collecting and trying to fill in the blanks is something that will have to wait a while longer. :)

5. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    FWIW, I have a Luke Skywalker Pez dispenser still in the original wrapper. I know pez.com doesn't sell the individual Star Wars dispensers anymore, but I don't feel like rushing out to get the complete set, either. If anyone knows how else I might be able to complete the set (other than searching on Ebay), let me know.

6. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Another hopeless collector here. I am a recovering completist who now picks and chooses his wants. Right now my main focus is VOTC and Unleashed, sprinkling in any OTC figures I deem worthy of purchase.

My Unleashed collections has been growing by leaps and bounds recently with Target deciding to carry the line. On Saturday I spotted Leia, Hoth Luke, Obi-Wan, Chewie and the Red Clone all at one Target. I then hit a TRU and found the Emperor and Jedi Luke.

I'd like to get into the GG bust collection as well, but with all of the exclusives and hard-to-get figures I may have to just pick and choose. Right now I have the Green Clone bust and have pre-ordered the X-Wing Luke one.

I also like the weird and off-beat stuff. A few of my favorites I found while in Ireland a few years back include Vader bubble bath and SW Nesting Dolls.

7. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    About the only thing you can really say I collect is prop replicas and custom action figures. I have a decnet collection of the POTF2 and POTJ figures, with some EPI mixed in, but from The Saga and EP II figures on, I think they are just crap, personally.

The biggest collection I have, and most expensive is the blaster collection. :)

8. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    If anyone knows how else I might be able to complete the set (other than searching on Ebay), let me know.

I don't know where you live but you should try to check out a flea market sometime. I went to one last months and I saw a couple of people selling old Pez dispensers. I couldn't tell you if there were any Star Wars Pez, but it's worth a shot.

9. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    If anyone knows how else I might be able to complete the set (other than searching on Ebay), let me know.

I have a few extra's lying around still in their baggies somewhere. Not enough to complete the set, but a few you don't have. If you're interested, let me know and I'll take a look for them.

DW.

10. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    Which Pez dispencers do you need?

11. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    I used to collect a lot but it's died down the older I get. I'm not a completist by any stretch. Now that I have to actually store the stuff myself, I buy less :) I have a good sized vintage collection all bought when it came out.
    Over the past few years, I've only been picking up things that interest me here and there. I usually end up focusing on the "background" characters. Lobot is a huge fave of mine as well as funky aliens.
    My main focus through the years though has been the board games. I will always pick one up if I don't have it. I remember years ago I sat down with a couple friends and we played a Trilogy boardgame marathon. It was pretty cool!
    I've seen OTC and VOTC popping up in Targe'. Love the retro packaging. I just wish the'd kept it on the back too. Newbury Comics has VOTC 12" Luke & Stormie. They also have these cool little thing from Tomy Japan that are like mini-dioramas.
    Oh I do have (what I think is) a complete set of Pez dispensers. I know I still have quite afew left over from using the as wedding favors, but I'm not sure which ones I have. Get me a list ;)
    (wow i think this is my longest poet ever!)

12. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Where does everyone else look to find those hard-to-get figures (besides eBay)?

13. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    There's a ton of online dealers. Most only charge a little more than retail. There's also conventions to check at least there you can sometimes get a good deal.

14. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Anyone else pick up the most recent wave of Unleashed: Aayla Secura, Bossk, and Tusken Raider? I got a good deal on a case off of eBay so I was able to purchase one to keep in package and one to open. :) Bossk is my favorite of the three, for the overall quality (paint job and sculpt) and for the pose. I love the base he stands on. The Tusken Raider is pretty cool too, he comes with an interchangable arm so that he can be holding a gaffi stick or a sniper rifle rifle.

Aayla I am not as satisfied with. I think the sculpt and pose are both great, but the paint job is terrible! All images of Aayla so far (move, comic, toy, etc.) show Aayla with solid blue skin, not blotchy pink and blue skin as it appears on the Unleashed figure. I don't understand it at all.

Next up for Unleashed is another re-release wave: Mace Windu, Count Dooku, and Darth Vader. I have a feeling this will be an extremely popular wave. I saw Mace in the new packaging when I was in San Diego and I must say, it looks fantastic. I can't wait to get these. :)

15. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Next up for Unleashed is another re-release wave: Mace Windu, Count Dooku, and Darth Vader.

THAT'S AWESOME [face_drool]!!! I haven't been able to find a Darth Vader online so this will be a great chance to catch-up on some of the earlier releases.

16. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Which Vader will they be re-releasing, removable helmet or non? I have the non-removable one already, so here's hoping it's removable one!

I found the latest wave at the WalMart in Lynn a couple of weeks ago and have seen it a few times since at area Targets. The Tusken is by far my favorite of the three. Never have been a fan of Bossk, so I passed on that one. I also passed on the Alaya for the reasons swc14 mentioned. The few I've come across have had horrible paint jobs. One even had smudges of colors from her outfit across her face.

I'm still looking for a Hoth Luke on a vg-nm card. The only ones I've seen at retail looked like they were mistaken for grapes at a wine-stomping festival. :(

In other collectible news, I managed to score a GG Luke in Stormtrooper outfit bust last week on the GG website. I actually wanted the Luke in X-wing gear, but that was already sold out.

17. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Another collecting addict here! I tend to collect the higher-end stuff, like MR props, Kotobukiya figures, the GG maquettes, etc. I also love the Unleashed, Clone Wars cartoon and Galactic Heroes. I also tend to collect character specific things (Leia, Ewan's Obi-Wan and Darth Maul are my favorites).

As far as Aayla Unleashed goes...I too was rather shocked when I saw her...LOL. I don't get the whole pink shading thing, unless it's to show shadowing or something. Also, her ears are brown! They're supposed to be blue! Overall though I really like the figure.

18. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    The few I've come across have had horrible paint jobs. One even had smudges of colors from her outfit across her face.

There must be some kind of inspection of these things as they go through the build process, but maybe there was just a bad run that got out and upcoming shipments won't have that blurring and smudging to them.

19. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    I haven't been able to find a Darth Vader online so this will be a great chance to catch-up on some of the earlier releases.

Both original Unleashed Vaders are selling for $50 or more on eBay right now, so this is definitely a great assortment for re-release.

Which Vader will they be re-releasing, removable helmet or non? I have the non-removable one already, so here's hoping it's removable one!

If Entertainment Earth's photo is correct for the upcoming assortment, I'm afraid it's the non-removable helmet version. However, if they continue re-releasing all the older figures, you should eventually get another chance at the removable version. :)

In other collectible news, I managed to score a GG Luke in Stormtrooper outfit bust last week on the GG website.

Awesome! I picked that up in San Diego. :D I really need to keep up with these busts...I'm so behind.

I don't get the whole pink shading thing, unless it's to show shadowing or something.

Even if it is to show shadowing of some sort, why PINK?? Why not a slightly deeper blue color?

There must be some kind of inspection of these things as they go through the build process, but maybe there was just a bad run that got out and upcoming shipments won't have that blurring and smudging to them.

So far EVERYONE'S Aaylas have the pink problem. If they start shipping ones without the pink I'm sure we'll all hear about it, because all collectors have been complaining about this.

You know, I haven't picked up anything in the OTC collection. It kills me to read about every new wave. I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to pick them up at a later point in time though.

20. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    You know, I haven't picked up anything in the OTC collection. It kills me to read about every new wave. I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to pick them up at a later point in time though.

IMO you're not missing much. The packaging is pretty sweet as are a few of the figures, but for the most part, all it is is another wave of repacks. As for availability, it's a mixed bag. Some of them I see all over the place (like Dagobah Luke and Cantina Han) but others I haven't found at all (Bespin Leia and CC Pilot). So far I have only picked up 4 of them, along wih 4 of the VOTC figures.

21. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003

I don't understand the Vader w/ removable helmet version. The only time he ever took it off in the movies was is his hyperbaric chamber in ESB and when Luke took it off in RotJ. Isn't Vader-Unleashed posed on the edge of the platform from his and Luke's duel on Bespin in ESB?

22. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    IMO you're not missing much. The packaging is pretty sweet as are a few of the figures, but for the most part, all it is is another wave of repacks.

I know they're mostly repacks, but the completist collector in me must have them all! :)

I don't understand the Vader w/ removable helmet version. The only time he ever took it off in the movies was is his hyperbaric chamber in ESB and when Luke took it off in RotJ. Isn't Vader-Unleashed posed on the edge of the platform from his and Luke's duel on Bespin in ESB?

Actually, the bases for each figure are different. The non-removable helmet version is posed on the Bespin platform, but the removable helmet version is posed on a different, circular platform that I assume comes from ROTJ. The first Vader was supposed to be the evil one from ESB, and the second Vader was supposed to be the redeemed one from ROTJ. The text on the cardbacks reflects this as well.

All of the 2002 releases had a one word name associated with them. For example, the first Vader was "Power" and the second was "Redemption". Anakin was "Rage", Maul was "Fury", Dooku was "Dissension", etc. Rebelscum's list is here. You can click on each name for descriptions and pictures. :)

23. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    DarthWormie: Check Harrison's in downtown Salem, I know the have CC Pilot. Of course, you'll be paying about $10 per fig but if you really need it, there it is.

24. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Here's an update on the fall release of Unleashed figures.

25. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Awesome! Thanks for posting that. :) IG-88 is my favorite of the bunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.