main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OFFICIAL REPORT: Episode IV to Make a Statement about Incest

Discussion in 'Archive: Episode IV: Spoilers Allowed' started by jedi_master_ousley, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I just got off the phone with GL and he had some very interesting news for me that he wants passed on. He said that in this new film, he wants to make something of a political statement. Somewhat in response to Brokeback Mountain, he wants to take on the concept of forbidden love. Rather than having two homosexual Jedi that those living on the west coast of the US can relate to, he wants to make a movie that those on the southeastern coast of the US can relate to.

According to Lucas, the twins are raised separately and do not meet for the first time until they are at the awkward age at which girls and boys begin to have feelings for each other. "I want them to fall in love, and not know that they are brother and sister," Lucas said. "This is to show that siblings can have a healthy, romantic relationship without it being considered taboo and wrong. A lot of the stereotypes about the southeastern US portray the citizens as bad people because they love their family in a different way than most people do. Love is love... and it is a powerful thing."

2. DarthDubya05

DarthDubya05 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2005
    wow. do they Kiss?

3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Ignant all ready started a thread about this

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    That is definitely the impression I got from the conversation. And remember, this is from a man who also once said that a kiss in Star Wars is the equivelant of making love.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Like I said yesterday, George Luca$ has completely lost the plot. [face_shame_on_you]

6. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Well finally! I'm tired of the discrimination against incestial lovers! Hopefully this will open the door and get people thinking more open minded about loving your brother or sister. This second class citizen treatment by people who don't understand hurts so much, and the more we can get the idea of this understood, the more people will become sensitive to us. Incestial lovers are people too!!

7. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
  8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Is this based on GL's own kids?

9. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    It's quite possible...

10. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    So Lucas may be acting like this is all his original and innovative idea and everything, but he is clearly ripping off the EU. As I mentioned in another thread, a Luke/Leia incest plot already featured a while back in an EU duology, From the Adventurees of Luke Skywalker and Splinter of the Mind's Eye. So much for not caring about the EU -- ha! But he could at least give credit where credit is due.

Edit: My bad. I've been referring to this EU book as A New Hope, but it's totally not. I just looked, and it's actually called From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker. I think A New Hope comes from a summary of the book that someone in Lit did, and the phrase kind of stuck because FtAoLS is such a mouthful.

-Paul

11. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Where the heck dose GL think he is taking his movies? I mean really I'm not going to see Episode IV if this happens. [face_plain]

12. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    I, for one, am very happy about this. I mean, we're already tackling such big issues as completely falling to the Dark Side - turning evil; mass murder; starting wars; and all kinds of other things, from a very human standpoint. I'm glad that sexual topics are going to be included as part of general human experience, though a lot of people (including me, should there be any question of that) might not be able to relate directly. The theme of forbidden love, in a broader form, is something common to most.

13. Darth_Lear

Darth_Lear Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    And now that I think about it, this was foreshadowed on Mustfar when Obi-Wan told Anakin "You were my brother Anakin, I loved you".

Isn't it amazing how GL uses these repeated motifs so effectively?

DL

14. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Hehe. Looks like our little Gorgie is shooting for an Oscar this time :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.