main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Official ROTS movie discussion thread **Spoilers, of course**

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Hey, that reminds me- Adam Sandler's remake of 'The Longest Yard' starts soon!

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Hang on. Didn't get that one down on my list.

"Crap" Check.

Got it.

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    It's too bad they are remaking that film... *shakes head*

4. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Anything with the name "Adam Sandler" in it is surely going to be rather...dumb.

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Amen to that, sister! Proof that the American movie industry is indeed aimed at 12-14-year-old boys. (Yep. Believe it or not, that's the marketing focus for Hollywood. Heard it from a studio exec in a documentary about the industry a few months back. Pretty freakin sad.)

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    It's too bad they are remaking that film... *shakes head*

Just because they're remaking it doesn't mean the original will disappear- we can be thankful for that!

"He broke my ____ing nose!" Classic... :)

Oh, and technically, GL remade the OT...

Get ready for a ton of remakes- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, King Kong, Dukes of Hazard, a new Herbie movie...the only things I'm glad they're re-doing is re-launching Superman and Batman. Looks like they're doing it right this time around. Oh, and even though the FF movie looks and sounds a bit cheesy, the original one was sooooooo bad most folks don't even think it exists! It was rushed into production just to keep from losing the rights!

Man, now how about a 'BJ and the Bear' movie..?!

"Now there's a concept I can't get enough of- a man and his monkey!" Brody- Mallrats

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Only if I get to play Staxx. :p

Now with a name like BJ and the Bear, you could give it the same treatment as they gave The Brady Bunch.

8. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Ah, Judy Landers...:)

9. blackdogotaku

blackdogotaku Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    i kno its not a discussion of the movie.
    but i was just told that im seeing it again tonite at the drive in theater at the 11pm showing, its random, but anyone interested?

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I'm getting waaaaaay to old for any showings past 9pm- especially anything over 2hrs.

11. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm getting tired of the remakes of the same movies or sitcoms. *sigh* Is no one original anymore?

GL changed his movies, but I don't think the Longest Yard is being changed by Albert Ruddy, he's just redoing it. I'm sure some stuff could be changed, it will be interesting to see if he does or if he gets flack for it.

12. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I hope it is done well. I love the original.

"Shoot him! Shoot him!"

"Game ball..!"

Yeah, kinda tired of the sitcom remakes, too. Why can't they make movies like 'Bushi Tales'?!

(Sorry, shameless plug there.)

13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
  14. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    Now Rhonda, there's all type of new and inventive ideas coming out in the theaters this year.
    Like:

Batman Begins
    Fantasic Four
    King Kong
    The Lion, The Witch and The Waredrobe
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Now if those aren't new ideas, I don't know what a new idea is :)

15. JD Jedi

JD Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2000
    This just got emailed to me by a bloke at work. Funny, I'd thought the exact same thing...

This is from a forum I'm on.....

'Did anyone else notice that near the end of the Revenge of the Sith, when the emperor and Darth Vader are gazing at the building of the Death Star, the Imperial Officer next to them was none other than Grand Moff Tarkin (Peter Cushing). Quite a feat, since he's been dead since 1994. He did have a bit of a 'digital' feel to him, but it was still a very cool touch.'

...and in reply:

'Yes I did notice that about the Death Star scene, but I couldn't help but wonder if the original construction took about 18 years ( the amount of time for Luke and Leia to grow up) since it was just coming operational in A New Hope. If this is the case, then by Return of the Jedi, the Empire must have hired a better contractor since the Death Star 2 went up almost overnight. '

And we've got one bloke at work who's a fan as well as his 18yo son. His son doesn't want to see it till he's gotten past his exams (a bit of a reward for himself) so my co-worker hasn't seen it yet - which makes it DAMN HARD to talk aboutit with anyone, as I'm trying to respect the 'non-spoiler' atmosphere here.

16. JD Jedi

Feb 21, 2000
    And yet another......

and on the death star:

'As for the Death Star maybe it was buy one get one free '

17. JD Jedi

Feb 21, 2000

And that made it even more tragic. These two people had decided to move on with their lives, and then all hell broke loose. They got caught up, and swallowed, in the landslide of the changing political atmosphere. It's heartbreaking when you stop and think about it. Their loyalties, distributed as they were, wouldn't allow them to do what was right for them. I wonder what it would've been like if Anakin and Padme had decided right there in the shadow of that pillar in the Senate Landing Platform to say, "To hell with all of you. We're off to Naboo to raise our child." When you stop and think about it, it was loyalty that killed both of them. They were both loyal to degrading or dying entities, and were dragged down by their undertows when they went under.

Brilliant! Once again Tim manages to say in a few words what would take me pages and pages....

With the focus on Anakin it get forgotten that TWO lives have be manipulated and wasted. .......Along with half the galaxy afterwards....

18. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    the death star point reminds me of that contractor discussion in Kevin Smith's Clerks.

i thought it was quite impressive that the rate of construction improved so much between the first and second death star. of course the second one wasn't fully completed by the time it was destroyed, but it was certainly nearing completion.

how peculiar.

19. gooshy

gooshy Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    Well the first death star was created almost in secret (except for that whole "stolen plans" thing), the second however was created out in the open (thus the need for a shield) and had to be completed ahead of its normal time for construction. Plus they had already made one before, I'm sure they had some faster shortcuts since the first one was a king of test bed of sorts. Also remember, they were actually BEHIND schedule for the second death star. They wanted it done fast ;)

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    My take on the whole DS thing, (and this comes from 10 years of dealing with the construction industry), is this:

It takes, on average, 8-12 months just to build your standard retail building of 300,000 sq ft here in our galaxy. Now, with the Death Stars, we're not talking about just your average building project- You're building a whole freaking planet. So, I think 18 years would be about right. And I'd be willing to bet that construction of the second DS was started not too long after the first one began. It would make sense for a tyrant like Palpatine to amass several of these weapons of terror to keep his vast empire in line. He may be a powerful Sith Lord, but he is still one man vs. trillions and trillions of beings in an entire galaxy. As Tarkin said, the DS would keep local systems in line through fear of its destructive power, thus it would be a convenient control device. And Palpatine was all about control.

21. blackdogotaku

blackdogotaku Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    that makes sense. that he wanted a whole bunch
    what i used as an arguement to stupid fanboys was the whole "a protoype always takes longer to build" y'know, trial and error stuff. and with the second one it wasnt really a death star like the 1st
    i think all palpatine said he wanted was a landing bay, throne room and superweapon.

...and a shield

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    And a frickin' chair that works.

23. gooshy

gooshy Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    And plenty of bottomless reactor shafts.. preferably right next to important walkways.

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    What is up with the conveniently-placed abyss in the Star Wars Saga? Is there some sort of deeper meaning there that I'm missing?

25. Darth_Copperbottom

Darth_Copperbottom Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2005
    Why (during the OT) did Artoo never mention to Luke, "Hey, I knew your dad."? He DIDN'T get his memory erased like Threepio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.