1. Attention Guest.

This region will undergo restructuring. For more information regarding this process, please visit this thread

Official ROTS movie discussion thread **Spoilers, of course**

Discussion in 'Memphis, TN' started by Jedi Trace, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Artoo's probably pissed at Anakin for abandoning him. He just doesn't want to even talk about him.

I've never heard of anyone really asking him. If Luke asked, I bet he'd spill the beans about everything. I think a lot of it has to do with droids not really understanding human emotions and kinship.
  2. Darth_Copperbottom Jedi Knight

star 1
    Artoo's probably pissed at Anakin for abandoning him. He just doesn't want to even talk about him.

I've never heard of anyone really asking him. If Luke asked, I bet he'd spill the beans about everything. I think a lot of it has to do with droids not really understanding human emotions and kinship.

Maybe, but don't you think he could have piped up during ANH in Ben's hut, "Remember me? I bailed your butt out when we took down the Separatists over Coruscant." Artoo was Anakin's for at least some of the clone wars, a good deal of which Anakin spent as Obi-Wan's padawan.

And on another topic that has me skeeved, Obi-Wan WAS Obi-Wan until after Luke was born. It's not like he hopped aboard the Tantive IV saying, "Tell Yoda and Bail that Ben's here."
  3. Timewalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    You have to remember that every movie after AHN is based upon the idea that Old Ben was a huge freakin' liar.

:D

-Joe (who also notes that before Luke and 3P0 wake up in the desert, Ben and R2 seem quite friendly, and later, when R2 starts chirping something, Ben shoots him a "Shut Up!" look. Man that Alec Guiness rocked.)
  4. Darth_Copperbottom Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ben's a liar?!?! I can't believe that, from a certain point of view. But on the other hand, look where being honest got him with Anakin. I honestly believe that Obi-Wan and Vader have some sort of meeting between the PT and the OT. Everything points to that. Tarkin thinks Ben is dead, and Vader knew he wasn't when he left Mustafar, and we know that Vader was the one who hunted the remaining Jedi down. Also, I don't remember Vader telling Obi-Wan to give his lightsaber to his child in ROTS, Obi-Wan just kind of took it as he was burning. And in ROTJ, Vader says tells Luke that Obi-Wan once thought as he did (about there still being good in him), but in ROTS, Obi-Wan's all about being slicey and dicey with the lightsaber, with not much talk about there still being good in him. So do they meet between trilogies and have some kind of encounter where Vader believes Obi Wan dies in the outcome?
  5. IrishThunder Jedi Knight

star 3
    R2 knew to keep his mouth shut just like Ben did. Never just hand over information that could sink or swim the entire universe. R2 was obviously trusted enough to not get his memory wiped. That's gotta say something for what people thought about his ability to interact with humans. I doubt Bail would've wiped 3po's memory if he hadn't been spouting on about how he was going to enjoy telling leia about her real mother and father. 3po is the kid, R2 is the wise adult who knows how to keep his mouth shut.

I think droids definitly understand emotions and have them. R2 feared getting blown to bits by the super battle droids so he had to try and hide. He also had enough courage to still go and work on the elevator. He feared the destroyer droids and was haulin' arse down the hall way to get to ani and the guys on the ship. He let's out a happy little chirp when they landed the ship safely. I know in the movie it doesn't show it but I'm sure R2 was just as sad as anyone about Anakin.

R2, what a wonderful little guy. Hero of the entire saga. Forget Luke, Anakin, Han or the others, they'd all be bantha poodoo with that "stupid little astro droid" :)
  6. Darth_Copperbottom Jedi Knight

star 1
    Maybe R2 is a hero, but it would have been nice for him to drop a hint to Luke that he might not find it so nice when Leia kisses him.
  7. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Maybe a little something like Dot Matrix's "Virgin Alarm" from Spaceballs would've been great.

R2 is the Chosen One.
  8. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    True Copperbottom, true.

Maybe, but don't you think he could have piped up during ANH in Ben's hut, "Remember me? I bailed your butt out when we took down the Separatists over Coruscant." Artoo was Anakin's for at least some of the clone wars, a good deal of which Anakin spent as Obi-Wan's padawan.

The novelization goes on about how Anakin and R2 are devoted to each other, even though R2 is a droid. Anakin has made him what he is basically in the OT, which is really neat. And have you ever noticed he never shares screen time with Vader in the OT (until Anakin sees him with Luke and Leia as a Force ghost). C3PO and R2D2 were like Anakin and Padmé's first children. I'm glad that George had Anakin so devoted to the little droid in the movie. Obi-Wan was always referring to him as "just a droid" in the novel, and could never understand Anakin's devotion to him. I guess he sees in ANH how those droids really are Skywalkers.

R2 is the Chosen One's Chosen One. ;) I don't think R2 could have picked Sids up, poor guy. :(

There can only be one Chosen One and my baby is all over it. Bow to the glory that is Lord Vader. Now. On your knees. Don't make him destroy you. ;)

I'm in the mood to up ROTS's box office take this weekend. Anyone wanna catch it again a couple of times? Matinee's tomorrow and/or Sunday, or some other time?
  9. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I'd love to try to see it early tomorrow if I can. It all depends on the kid situation, of course. I'd like to see it and then see ANH at Drive-In Night. That would be too cool.
  10. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I'm taking half a day off today. Anyone want to see it at one of 2 or 3pm showings?
  11. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Depends on what time I get out of this hellhole.
  12. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Hollhole?! Hy home this is!

No, wait- that's slimy mudhole- my bad.

I, too am stuck in a hellhole...
  13. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I've got a couple of passes so this afternoon is on me.
  14. JD Jedi Jedi Master

star 3
    And another thing.......

I've always said that my life is ruled by kids movies.......

Any chance that the planet on which the great clash at the end will be nicknamed "Simba"?
  15. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I found the "Mustafar" name to be a hoot. A definite nod to James Earl Jones! I wonder if Lucas had his kids name the planets and characters again?
  16. Timewalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    ROTS released Nov 1.
    http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/6_Star_Wars_DVDs_in_the_Fall_93105.asp

Start planning for the Saga Campout now, folks.

-Joe
  17. JD Jedi Jedi Master

star 3
    One thing I forgot to mention when I went and saw it.......

Behind us were a group of boys, about sixteen or so (I actually thought they looked a bit younger than that so I'm allowing for the "old-fart" factor). During all the trailers and ads they were at each other with the usual sort of banter, some of which was pretty funny.

Once the movie began to start they all shut-up (thank goodness - I had my doubts (note - the "old-fart" factor again)).

Then the words came up....... and a voice from the row behind us quietly says.....

"...A....lo....lo...long....A long t- oh!" as the "STAR WARS" words and music took off.

For a second I thought he was mucking about but there was not ONE SINGLE WORD from any of his mates.

I know that there's a lot of people about who struggle to read but I can't imagine what it would be like to have that whole world cut off and alien to me!
  18. Timewalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    I totally forgot to post this until we stopped by Tim and Traci's last night.
    Here's the Review Club for RotS that Gina and I contributed to over on Pop Thought.
    Rhonda, feel free to post the link over on the essay site you were talking about.

Enjoy,

-Joe
  19. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Those were excellent! Great job, Joe and Gina!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.