main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**OFFICIAL** ROTS Reaction/Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by Hama, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    This first post is intentionally left blank, so it can be deleted when the thread no longer needs to be "sticky."

2. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Post all your comments here about Revenge of the Sith, including plot details that are considered "spoilers" to anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet.

If you are one of those unlucky few who hasn't seen Revenge of the Sith and don't want to be spoiled, leave now! Before it's too late!

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

So tell us what you thought of the movie!

3. Flecktone

Flecktone Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2005
    I really enjoyed it and felt that it lived up to the expectations - and we all know how high those were.

The dialogue was rough - especially between Padme and Anakin. Some of the lines (when she was brushing her hair and asks Anakin if he is blind had me somewhat cringing. It was a little cheesy but this time I think it was due more writing then the acting. They could have done without the Kashyyyk subplot but I do not think that his "turning" was really rushed. Some of the scenes were simply awesome - as when Anakin is shown walking into the temple with the 501st behind him (Jim Epps told me Lucas named the death squad that in honor of the 501st Stormtrooper Legion).

I was glad to see it rated PG-13. There are certain movies (such as Sin City recently) that need to be rated a certain way in order to be good. Had this been PG it would not have had the emotional impact it has with the PG13 rating. I think people would have been left wanting more depth and the PG would not have allowed it. When Lucas said in interviews recently that "Star Wars goes to Hell" he really was not kidding. It was so sad seeing all the Jedi hunted down.

There were little nods here and there that I really found interesting - when Anakin and Obi-Wan reach Dooku's chamber on the ship, it was very cool to see Palpatine turn around to face them in the chair - reminded me of Return of the Jedi. Also at the end when Owen Lars is standing looking at the twin sunsets was a very nice touch. Many of my friends agree with me that they wanted so much to run home and watch Episode 4 - I felt Lucas really bridged it very nicely.

I - like many people I am sure - cannot wait for the DVD and watch all 6 back-to-back - I think even with the clunkiness of Episodes I and II it will really be something to see.

4. Bearleft

Bearleft Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2005
    Beware the rambling recap.

Personally I was thrilled with the movie. It exceeded my expectations. I actually thought the dialogue, while campy at times, was much better. And the delivery. Holy cow! 10x better than in AOTC. I swear that elevator scene in the beginning is just cringe-worthy. For the first time, I actually bought the Anakin/Padme relationship.

I did think that because they had such a nice, bantering relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin at the beginning, his fall was awfully fast. But I think that was desperation to save Padme.

Best opening sequence in the prequels. Easily. And not a wooden performance among the actors.

The part I had the most trouble with was Padme's death in childbirth (yes, Anakin was correct, but would she have died if he hadn't turned to save her?). I can't tell if this was a slip-up or what, but with Leia saying that she could remember certain things about her mother, including that she was sad, wouldn't she have had to be more than just a few minutes old to know that? Or could she tell through the Force. That's my main quibble.

Artoo officially rocks.

What was up with Grievous's cough? I could totally have bought Gary Oldman doing that voice. (I know he didn't but he was going to at one point. Seems like a character right up his alley.)

Did anyone catch what happened to a couple of the female Jedi (Shaak Ti, Luminara Unduli, and Barris Offee)? I saw the others get killed but not them. They can't have escaped can they?

I also liked that Palpatine referring to Anakin as "Darth Vader" <i>before</i> he was in the suit. I had no idea that was coming.

I'm a bit puzzled about Obi-Wan leaving Anakin on Mustafar though. First of all I was expecting a big fall into the lava or something, not that he would just catch fire. And I had found out about Obi-Wan dismembering him, but it was still brutal. To me it would have made more sense for Obi-Wan to either leave him if he actually thought he was dead (ie. if Anakin had actually fallen into the lava or completely wasn't moving?) or for him to deliver a mercy killing. Still seemed a bit brutal to me.

I knew the part with the "younglings" was coming, but I had assumed that it would just show bodies. I had no clue they were going to have one of them approach "Master Skywalker" for help. I cried. I cried when the Jedi were betrayed as well. Horrible.

Of course, I also have to admit I cried when Yoda told Obi-Wan about Qui-Gon too. I missed part of what was said. Was it that Qui-Gon has learned how to return from the netherworld and that Yoda is going to train Obi-Wan to commune with him? I think that's what I got. Since I saw EpI, it's always bothered me that Obi-Wan was doomed to spend 20 odd years in exile. I'm kind of glad he's got a bit of company. :)

Did anyone else spot a Millenium Falcon-esque ship in the bottom right corner at one point? I can't remember what planet it was.

Chewie! I wish there had been more of Kashyyk. I've really wanted to see it for a long time. (And the Holiday Special doesn't count.)

I think my ranking is now as such:
    1)ESB
    2)ROTS
    3)ANH
    4)TPM (mainly for Qui-Gon)
    5)ROTJ
    6)AOTC

I know there's more that I really enjoyed, but I'm beat. There were a few flaws, but over all I think the movie was spectacular. Thanks for a fantastic evening guys.

And Will, your picture of Vader strangling you turned out nicely. I'll probably be e-mailing it tomorrow after work.

Judy

5. willhi1979

willhi1979 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2004
    Judy,

I think Shaak Ti went in the chancellor's office with Mace, but I'm not sure. If you could send me all your pictures, that would be great. The 501st doesn't have many taken, and I know they are looking for some.

Thanks,

William
    willhi1979@yahoo.com

6. Psycho_Jedi

Psycho_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 26, 2002
    Nah, Shaak Ti wasn't in the chancellors office. I guess we just have to assume that she died or something.

7. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

JUMPMASTER_REVAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    Just moving my rambling over from the ol' thread.....

I pretty much saw what I expected to see - a really good movie having to overcome a rough script and a full storyline smashed into 2 hours. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, but the whole first hour seemed so much of a survey. Kind of "this happens - bam- this happens -bam- this happens, ok, so now here we are and now we'll slow it down." I could have easily set through another hour to have some more things explained. But I knew going into it, that that was going to be the case, so I can't say I was disappointed. Other than that, the scene with Vader in uniform taking his first steps - yes, it was a little clunky, imo; I understand that he just got new legs and stuff, but I did immediately think Frankenstein. Up until that point I was so angry with the Emperor and for what Vader was feeling (the smashing bottles, broken arm restraints were great) and that kind of broke it for me. And my husband still kind of makes fun of the "Noooooo!" which could have been a little better. I also disliked the turn around of Anakin. It was just too fast. He was crying one minute about Mace and the next he was done, and ready to do whatever the Emperor asked, and off to kill kids. I just felt like he could have had a little more "emoting" if that is the word, to get to that point. Again, a bit of a product of a lot of story in a little amount of time. And maybe a scene where Anakin and Padme talked about names so that it didn't seem so easy for her to accept the fact she now had twins she hadn't expected and was ready with a name so quickly. Now that I have grumbled about all of this, I guess it sounds like I didn't really enjoy it after all, but on the contrary.....

8. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

Apr 14, 2004
    I loved the film. I thoroughly enjoyed the R2-D2/Yoda tricks that had so many in the audience laughing. The soundtrack was killer, and the love scenes, though a little stilted, were so adorable. My heart was broken. I know it sounds pathetic, but I got so involved in the characters throughout my life that the fall of Anakin and the terrible fate of the "star-crossed lovers" upset me, that I don't know when I will be able to watch it again. The final scene between Obi-Wan and Anakin disturbed me so much, with Anakin lying in pain as Obi-Wan had to turn his back on him, that I had to consciously not think about the film after watching it and for the most part all day. It hurt so much and I thought I was going to be sick. It was so emotional and though Anakin was ultimately wrong and evil, Padme was right, there was good in him and we all know that to be true, knowing how it all ends. It was gut and heart wrenching and I don't know if I can put myself through that again. Silly huh? The look in Anakin's eyes as he said he hated him and the depseration and sadness in Obi-Wan's voice..... I couldn't even cry, I was just so stunned (even though I knew it was coming.) The action sequences were great and the ending with the kids going to their respective homes was stellar (especially the final scene)and finally I got a little teary-eyed (I was really trying not to cry.) I know I am rambling, but a movie like that (and the end to such a thrilling saga) just gets me going. So sorry, but believe it or not, I actually didn't go on as much as I could have (REALLY SORRY, I know this was long- got myself worked up.)

9. Darth_Desolate

Darth_Desolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    I thought it was brilliant! I was the best SW movie ever! Why? because it had emotion and heart. I actually teared up during Order 66. It was amazing. My only slight dissappointment was with the opening space battle. Not enough space combat. Other than that, the movie is 5 Stars in my book!

10. LlorchTHX

LlorchTHX Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    For me ROTS was as good as the original trilogy (I was expecting a good movie but I didn't think it would be so great). I liked the unwinding of the story. The lines were way better than the past two. Anakin and Padme relationship was a lot less cheesy and more believable. Anakin's hate, fear and doubt are better depicted trough less whining and more real emotion.

Just some of the things that I most liked (correction, loved), in no particular order:

-THE SOUNDTRACK: for a darker movie a darker sound. My favorite parts were this very dark and emotive moments, like when Anakin is at the council room, Padme at her room, and the Jedis going to take Palpatine. Also the sequence of "Order 66". Both sequences musically and visually astounding.

-THE OPPENING SEQUENCE: Yes, there isn't a lot of fighting, but it was an impressive digital masterpiece (so many elements in some many planes WOW).

-THE LIGHTSABER DUELS: All of them. Those were great Jedi action skills.

Visually, one of my favorite images of the complete STAR WARS saga is that of Luke in Tantoine watching the suns set (in ANH of course). So making this re-take of that image with Owen and Beru holding newlyborned Luke as the final image was simply perfect for me.

There are many others things that I enjoyed (and very few that could be better) but I'll post them later.

I also think that Leia remembering her mother being sad was one of the little tidbits Lucas couldn't patch correctly.

LlorchTHX
    Jorge

11. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Getting back to Chris's discussion on the original thread about Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas -

Right after AOTC was released, Newsweek's entertainment editor stated that name possibly an intentional mispronunciation of Sidious to cloud who really ordered the clones.

However in the ROTS visual dictionary, he was really a Jedi, and killed by Dooku. He really existed and ordered the manufacture of the clone troopers - under Palpatine's mind control manipulation - to create the false threat to the galaxy.

12. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

Apr 14, 2004
    The soundtrack was the best one I have heard! It had elements of all of them in all the right places - truly awesome!

I just figured that maybe Leia remembered Bail's wife who was sad about all that had happened with the Republic and everything and that maybe she died when Leia was still a baby - so that was what she remembered. But that is just the way that I justified it.

Also, where in the heck is Mon Mothma in the movie? I know she is in there and I have seen it twice now (even better the second time) and still can't find her.

And I know I am in the minority here, but AOTC was one of my favorites. I guess I just liked the whole falling in love bit. But I don't know how I would rank them overall. That's just too hard.

13. Master_Dante_Jarmeck

Master_Dante_Jarmeck Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    hey guys, i was at the premere in raliegh on wed. and i was wondering if anyone knows anything else about the news coverage videos?

14. Bodo_Janx

Bodo_Janx Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2004
    JUMPMASTER_REVAN:

Mon Mothma was on the Corellian Corvette scene when Bail Organa was walking and talking with Antilles. She was walking with others in the background of the Organa & Antilles conversation. You can barely see her, but that was her. She did not have a big part in the movie, but she is in the prequel SW book ?Labyrinth of Evil? working with Bail Organa.

Master_Dante_Jarmeck:

The only local news reports for the Triangle were shot at Brier Creek 14. I was able to tape all the events from the news channels before and after the event. I am working on a video of all the reports. It will be a week or two before I am finished working on it. Drop me an email: bodojanx@hotmail.com. We do have pictures of the event available at www.triangletradefederation.com.

TallonKaardgamer and Axelay:

In the prequel SW book ?Labyrinth of Evil?, Yoda and Obi-wan have a tie-in conversation regarding Sifo-Dyas and the clone army. It goes into a little bit of detail about Count Dooku?s departure of the Jedi, but questions his involvement with death of Sifo-Dyas, but the ROTS dictionary gives a short and sweet discription of the event. I have not finish reading the book yet and I am not sure if they discuss the "Order 66". So far it is a good read and I highly recommend it!

15. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

Apr 14, 2004
    Thanks Bodo_Janx. Gives me another excuse to watch it - as if I need another reason ;)

16. Master_Dante_Jarmeck

Master_Dante_Jarmeck Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    thanks bodo, yes i was at brier creek, i was the jedi in the brown robes. thanks, let me know when the tapes will be available

17. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Channel 17 also had some video clips, mostly of the 501st, Adam and Jacking getting engaged, cool stuff like that. Thanks to Stacey, I have the clips. Let me know if you want a link to them.

18. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Time for me to weigh in on ROTS - A good film, not a great one.

The storyline: Too much ground to cover even with the help of Clone Wars to fill in the blanks, it was 60% of the story to rush in 33% of the time. I got the feeling the entire film was a hurried rush all the way through, as if we had to speed consume each lightsaber fight and from one locale to another. Lucas was trying to get all the aspects to tie together.

The technology: Lucasfilm CGI has outdone itself with a 3D feel of space and depth perception. The cityscapes of Coruscant are beautiful to look at, completely full of detail and alive. Driving us down into the depths of hell on Mustafar, it was a believable volcanic world. General Grevious was a masterpiece of robotic sentient malace. Back when I was in high school, there was a comic book called Magnus Robot Fighter 4000AD - The hero, Magnus, was a Rocky-like growing up, build up to battle an evil robot called H8 (hate, get it?) that was doing the X-files thing of capturing all humans and placing them in a collective / individual chamber in order to drive the world of NorthAm's sentient life and intellect for his own use. It was a dream of mine to make that into a movie one day. Now I won't have to. Grevious matches my dreams of a droid with enough evil intent that its now just a wishful thought. One thing that still bugs me is that ROTS has such terrific techKnow - the dogfights with the proto-x-wings are outstanding! - that it makes the original trilogy tech weak in comparison. The problem is that overcoming the primitive tech of filming 22-28 years makes a difference that can't be overcome - not without tinkering again with the originals.

C3PO - sadly a waste of time to have him sandwiched in as the English butler.
    Artoo was undeniably the comic relief we needed.

Acting - the only one who had any sense of fun and ain't it cool to save the universe bravadi was Ewan McGregor. He absolutely channeled the spirit of Alec Guiness's ol Ben Kenobi right from the first moment, It was a joy to see him relish the challenge of fighting each foe, springing every the trap.

Natalie Portman's formidable talents are put to no test here. She's nails Amidala effortlessly like wearing an old pair of jeans. She's beautiful to look at and convincing.

Here's where I'm bound to part company from some of you. To me, and yes I know I'll have a lot of you Hayden fans on my case, but Hayden Christensen, though beefier and brooding with all that inner turmoil to plod over, has a tough time fitting the Darth Vader -Frankenstein mold. In my estimation, he's still not convincing enough to me. Much better than AOTC, but he was just almost there - I felt that just as ObiWan held him back, Lucas held him back from being more emotive - could have been scarier and more malevolent but it didn't quite get the hights.

Ian McDairmid was the bomb-diggity. Bad guy stole the show. Nuff said. His raspy croak was pinpoint perfect.

Yoda absolutely was amazing. His "not if anything to say I have" speech to the emperor was enough to make me stand up and cheer.

ROTS was a good film, a fine turn at bringing all the facets to tie in full circle with episode 4. Some unanswered questions - who starts the Rebellion? Was it Padme or someone else?

19. The_Green_Ranger

The_Green_Ranger Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    I haveta say that I LOVE ROTS, and one thing that bugs people say "how could leia remember her mother being beautiful but sad?" I just explain that off in my mind as because she's force sensitive. another thing to Don...I dont think padame started the rebellion considering she's dead. from seeing a new hope it seemed that the rebellion was retivly new, not 18 years old.

20. Darth_Desolate

Jan 30, 2005
    "who starts the Rebellion? Was it Padme or someone else? "

That scene was cut from the film, but Mon Motha(sp?),Bail Organa and other senators were supposed to talk to Padme about a rebellion. It'd make this alot clearer if you had been spoiled :).

21. Darth_Desolate

Jan 30, 2005
    I was @ the premiere Wed and I loved it. True SW fans were there and you could tell when they cheered when the movie started and when Yoda lobbed off those 2 clonetrooper's heads.

22. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

Apr 14, 2004
    I got to see it for the third time today (my Mom babysat the little Jedi) and it really does get better every time I see it! Even the Nooooooo at the end isn't as goofy as I first thought and I finally saw the Millenium Falcon in there. And I still want to see it again.

23. Darth_Desolate

Jan 30, 2005
    did u catch george lucas or anthony daniels? They are both their at the opera scene as anakin is running up the stairs.

24. Psycho_Jedi

Psycho_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 26, 2002
    I didn't catch them but I did catch Jeremy Bulloch the second time I saw it!

25. JUMPMASTER_REVAN

Apr 14, 2004
    I did see Anthony Daniels, but missed George Lucas - I didn't know Jeremy Bulloch was in there! How cool!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.