main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official ROTS reaction thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by malkieD2, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I've always thought that the flippant acting, and dodgy writing was part of the charm of it all! :)

2. Master_Yoda_obiwan

Master_Yoda_obiwan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    ive put this on more than one so i get an answer: is the tv series that clone wars cartoon?

3. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    If you mean THE TV series, then no.

'Star Wars Clone Wars' was just a cartoon side project made to chronicle some of the battles and events set between Episode II and III during the mighty Clone Wars. That is now over.

THE TV series you may mean is still in talks in development at LucasFilm, and will be set between Episodes III and IV, BUT this will be live action, not cartoons or animation, to tell the stories of more minor characters, not major ones.

Hope this helps!

4. Sifu

Sifu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 1999
    I was a bit disappointed with it to be honest. I think I may have been too spoiled. In my opinion I think the film should have been longer because there are a lot of events happening and they need more exposition, more time to explore each scene. Especially the duels. I thought they were very short.

I remember coming out of the midnight showing of Clones and I was absolutely buzzing. I didn't get that this time round. And I feel really bad about it because everyone's giving it rave reviews! Is there something I'm missing?

I'll see it again on Tuesday with a mate. I think I will enjoy it more second time.

5. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I've just seen ROTS for a second time and I'm afraid that it was

***KING AWESOME I was able to relax more on the second viewing and enjoyed it in a different way and it was more satisfying it was BRILLIANT.

6. big-dave

big-dave Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    I really enjoyed the film. Thought it tied every thing up pretty well. The story itself, I thought, was a lot better than TPM or TCW. Some nice touches, such as Obi -Wan picking up Anakins lightsaber to give to Luke in episode 4. Was nice to see that the jedi could be seen as the oppressors.

As a footnote did anyone else see the Millenium Falcon coming in to land?

7. Baron_Malignus

Baron_Malignus Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    The film was the third best SW film to date.

Darth Vader was pretty gay though.

8. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Darth Vader wasn't dressed in pink! :p

9. Baron_Malignus

Baron_Malignus Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    No but he totally had a hissy fit when he found out that he'd done Padme. And the so-called chosen one couldnt even beat Obi-Wan in a force wrestle.

10. General_Cartman_Lee

General_Cartman_Lee Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    I saw it for the third time with my 60 year old mother and she loved it! She thought it was really sad.

Even better, I now have the whole thing on the PC to watch till my eyes bleed. Woohoo!

11. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I was surprised when my mother told me today that she wanted to see it! She probably wanted to know what her kids were getting up to, and what we've been talking about all week, I'd imagine! ;)

I said I will take her on Tuesday night - for my 5th time...Oh, what a chore! It's a crap job, but I suppose someone has to do it! :p

I'd like hit at least 10 viewings.

6 for TPM.
    9 for AOTC.
    Anything less than 10 for ROTS kinda seems like a waste. :)

12. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Three times for me so far...

"I AM THE SENATE" :mad:

Yes, 6 years was worth waiting to see Palps transform into the Emperor. :cool:

13. General_Cartman_Lee

General_Cartman_Lee Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    Wow, and I thought three was a lot. The only other time I've seen a film more than once at the cinema was twice for the South Park movie.

14. Kaskader

Kaskader Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    "As a footnote did anyone else see the Millenium Falcon coming in to land?"

I didn't see it, when did that happen?
    And where was exactly the cameo of Lucas?

15. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Just a footnote to Obi-Wan's message.

Clone Wars is NOT over. Lucas confirmed that the first new TV show out will be a 30 minute/episode Clone Wars cartoon, but done entirely in 3D graphics.

After that will come a live action TV show, set between Episodes III and IV.

16. Brynhilde

Brynhilde Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I enjoyed it much more than the other prequels, I thought it was much better in many ways (despite an awful script and some terrible acting) but not a patch on the Original Trilogy.

As a huge fan of one Darth vader I was very pleased to see him back in black, as it were. However, seeing the trilogy completed did make me feel very... numb. Like thats it: its over, sort of. I was pleasantly surprised by the very emotive reasons for Anakin's choices and it made sense of many later actions both by him and Luke.

That said, I felt that the birth of Luke and Leia was really badly done. If I may demonstrate:

*pop* Baby number one, male:

"Luke!"

*pop* Baby number two, female:

"Leia!"

*dies*

I don't know why, but I just found that terribly cliche ;) Although the babies were very cute. Obi-wan's resemblence to Alec Guiness was really good though, and it really helped tie the films together, which is another thing I did like about this. It really worked as a bridge between the prequels and the original trilogy.

As a side note, I saw this on opening night and I had my hair in Princess Leia buns and was the only person in the whole cinema who even made an effort to dress up! I was shocked and appauled! On the whole day the total extent of dressing up that I saw was a friend of mine who went to the Premiere (woo!) dressed as Darth Vader, and 2 Jedi Knights in the street, complete with lightsabers and cloaks.

What is the world coming to? :p

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    he totally had a hissy fit when he found out that he'd done Padme
    Well, he had killed the one person he had gone through all that to protect and look after, his life officially had no meaning other than to kill Obi Wan.

I agree that the whole Luke & Leia birth was really bad, but obviously Lucas was getting bored by then :p

18. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    Well, I dragged myself and the family to see it on Saturday...

I'll be honest, I have no idea what to make of it just yet!

The only 3 really memorable things in it for me were Mace's demise (made my stomach churn for some reason), Palps (true evil) and of course, Obi Wans little speach to Akakin after he's cut his legs off (most sad indeed).

Padme's death did nothing for me at all, didn't move me in the least. In fact someone in the audience cheered when she died (I assume because when she was actually on screen, all she did was whine cry *Yawn*)

I've read that when the Jedi are being killed off, along with Anakins little trip to the Jedi Temple, it brought tears to peoples eyes. Why!!??!! It was done way to quickly for any of it to have an impact emotionaly!

Like the Phantom Menace, yet another great villain was totaly underused, this time being General Grievous (loved his smokers cough) rather than Maul.

Nice seeing the Wookies, but basically pointless them being in it.

And one more thing....

What the hell was that thing that looked like the early workings of the Death Star!!??!! That was possibly one of the worst special effects I've ever seen!! Looked like a card board cutout!!

I think, if it weren't for the fact most people are being blinded by all the hype over this being the last Star Wars movie, they would actually see that it isn't really all that much better than Eps 1 and 2 in terms of story and acting. Sure, it has more action in it, but that's all!

Well, I'm an OT fan, always have been, always will be. I now wash my hands of the PT once and for all.

The Phantom Menace- 4/10

Attack of the Clones- 4/10

Revenge of the Sith- 5/10

A New Hope- 8/10

The Empire Strikes Back- 10/10

Return of the Jedi- 9/10

19. Anakins_SkyStalker

Anakins_SkyStalker Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    "As a footnote did anyone else see the Millenium Falcon coming in to land?"

Yeah I saw it enter from the bottom right of the screen when Obi and Anakin had brought Palpatine back to Coruscant. Only seen the film once (so far) how observant am I?!
    Can't wait to see it again and again, thought it was a great film, if a little too short.. Plus is also helps that Anakin, or rather Hayden is the most handsome creature in the Galaxy :)

20. EnemyOfTheRepublic

EnemyOfTheRepublic Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2005
    I went for showing #4 today..got to make up for my laughable two times for AOTC (plus I'm saving the tickets for the odeon posters..hehe) and I still love it the most out of the prequels. I do agree with some of the criticism I've been reading about Anakin's slightly rushed turn to the Dark Side, and I think Chewbacca could have been in it more but overall I really couldn't be happier with it!

I was suprised more people didn't dress up too, there were several Jedi and one Leia who everyone cheered at the midnight showing that I went to, I didn't dress up properly but I had my ROTS shirt, R2 bag and lightsaber and it was lots of fun :D

..and on a side note, I have GOT to get me one of those FX sabers..they look amazing in the dark!

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I think, if it weren't for the fact most people are being blinded by all the hype over this being the last Star Wars movie, they would actually see that it isn't really all that much better than Eps 1 and 2 in terms of story and acting. Sure, it has more action in it, but that's all!
    I agree
    Its got the same faults as the other prequels, crap story dragged out too much (except in this case it was rushed through too fast). When theres no action its gets rather dull, and all the over hyped characters turned out to be useless.
    I'll need to see it again to get a better opinion on it.

I'd hardly worry about acting or dialogue, even the OT had problems with that.

22. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    its a GL film, that the Dialogue will be crap is a forgone conclusion.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Precisely
    THX 1138 & American Graffiti both had rather dodgy dialogue

Star Wars is a specticle, and should be judged as a whole, not on each individual piece.
    Critics should stop complaining about the acing & dialogue & focus on the story and amazing wonder that is Star Wars

[End of Rant]

24. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I've only seen it once so I might change my mind after further viewings but I was left very disappointed.

I can accept some dodgy dialogue, a bit of bad acting, out of place slap-stick humour and all the other flaws that we have come to expect from Star Wars.

The killer factor was the fall of Anakin, it is at the very heart of the plot and for me it just doesn't work. The whole Darth Palgeus stuff is pathetic and his slaughter of the younglings takes place far too soon.

Other gripes include

General Grievous was an absolute joke.

The Jedi were taken down far too easily.

Padme's death was a farce.

Sidius's lightsaber dueling was OTT and out of character. It was novel with Yoda, with Sidious is was silly.

Portman's acting while improved on AOTC was still wooden.

The Darth Vader "Noooooooooooo", what was GL thinking.

A few good point

The final confontation between Obi-Wan and Anakin was superb.

Obi-Wan's final remarks as Anakin lay on the lava bank were some of the best in the entire saga.

Several superb action scenes.

I thought Hayden did a pretty good job given such a poor plot and uninspiring dialogue.

25. Confidence

Confidence Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    I saw it at a midnight showing on Thursday morning and hated it.

I saw it a second time today digitally on a frankly mega-massive screen, and loved it.

Such is life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.