main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* ROTS Theatrical Trailer Thread (trailer discussion ONLY)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mace Windy, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Flaming_Penguin pointed this out in 3SA... and I want to see what you all get out of it.

"YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!" backwards.

I'll see what you guys come up with before I post the concensus of what it is... [face_devil]

2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Sounds like...a bunch of noise...

3. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Flaming_Penguin pointed this out in 3SA... and I want to see what you all get out of it.

If you use your imagination it sounds kind of like "I'm his worst enemy."

4. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    OK. Actually it does a little. Funny.

(who the hell thought to play the trailer backwards????)

5. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Hm, interesting...

I got All is lost, Kenobi!. One of my friends from school got almost the same thing as you, though.

6. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    oBi1JaCoBi - If my girlfriend made similar comments about "Star Wars", one or more of the following would likely occur: a) I would unleash force-lightning from my fingertips and exclaim "You will pay the price for your lack of vision!"; b) we would say "good night", and I would show her the door; c) I would gently suggest that she is beginning to exhibit traits that I had previously believed to be genetically exclusive to the Skywalker family; d) I'd tell her that her hypothetical synopsis is almost all wrong; e) we would go through each of the prequels frame-by-frame on DVD in order to explain the compositional and aesthetic qualities of these films; f) I would deliver a lengthy and systematic treatise on "a much greater age in Lucas filmmaking" to de-bunk all such misconceived notions; g) I'd force her to endure a Pauly Shore/Carrot Top movie marathon so that she might fully understand the true nature of filmic mediocrity; or h) I would ignore her complaints and we would go out to dinner. What fun.

7. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    After watching the ROTS trailer, I told my girlfriend (also a huge SW fan) that I think ROTS will be pretty good. After she saw the trailer, this is what she believes ROTS will be:

I sure hope that wasn't some veiled attempt to get a spoiled synopsys in here...

8. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Nope, it was more like a synopsis of the trailer itself. I didn't see anything that could constitute as an actual spoiler.

9. oBi1JaCoBi

oBi1JaCoBi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 1999
    Quite the contrary, NorCalBirdz. I was just saying all the things she came up with just based on the trailer and no spoiler knowledge. The point was that she was being very sarcastic -- what she described was a pretty awful film heh.

10. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Nov 14, 2004
    I sure hope that wasn't some veiled attempted to get a spoiled synopsys in here...

To reiterate from my previous post: d) I'd tell her that her hypothetical synopsis is almost all wrong.

Keep in mind that I say this as someone who is familiar with most of the current spoilers.

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Plus, her "synopsis" is basically just a list of all the things we saw in the trailer. :p

I do like the summary of Padme's role in this movie, though: Padme cries, finds out Anakin is evil, cries more, is pregnant, cries even more. THE END!

12. oBi1JaCoBi

oBi1JaCoBi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 1999
    Heh, she was highly amused by your comments, Tyranus_the_Hutt. While Pauly Shore is enough to strike fear into the hearts of any movie watcher, she doesnt think there is a Carrot Top movie out there. Is it true that Carrot Top has a movie? That would be hysterical... in a horrible way.

And wow this is getting way off topic.

Anyway I receieved a PM that basically point for point (except for the meaningless Wookie War) discussed why her idea of the movie is wrong. Hopefully that will be enough to persuade her. Of course all her comments were in good fun. She's not what you may call a true "basher."

And as far as getting this thread back on topic... I recently re-read Frankenstein for a Science Fiction lit class (yes how great is that, a class filled with utter geeks -- some make me look... totally ungeeky in comparison) and instantly noticed in the trailer the "unnatural" line Palpatine has. ("The Dark Side of the force is a path way to many abilities some would consider to be unnatural")This seems like an interesting theme that hasnt really been brought up in Star Wars before. To clarify what I mean, just because you have the power to do something, doesn't mean you should use it. Anakin, like Victor Frankenstein will probably learn this the hard way, even if he has good intentions.

If that doesnt work at all to get the thread back on topic, how do you think this trailer compares to the AOTC trailer? I think it's a great step up.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Hard to say. Every SW trailer I've ever seen gets me pumped.:D

This was undoubtedly the best trailer I have ever seen.

Why?

- evil, manipulative Palps is FINALLY back.[face_devil]

- Anakin/Hayden has matured and grown confident.

- Obi-Wan emoting.

- The Duel.

- the Yoda/Sidious duel.

- the Mace/Agen Kolar/Saesee Tinn/Kit Fisto confrontation of Palpatine.

- Wookiees.

- Big Space Battle.

- Darth Vader and the Emperor, side by side.

- golden Threepio.

In fact, I think I'm going to go watch the trailer again.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If that doesnt work at all to get the thread back on topic, how do you think this trailer compares to the AOTC trailer? I think it's a great step up.

This trailer is a cut above any past Star Wars trailer, though the Breathing trailer is probably the next darkest and most creative trailer after this one. Forbidden Love also compares favorably, though its source material naturally renders it behind ROTS's trailer (which seems to be nameless).

15. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Nevermind :p

16. DARTH_CORLEONE

DARTH_CORLEONE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    The trailer itself was pretty much your run-of-the-mill action trailer. The movie looks like it will be pretty good though....something I didn't think I'd be saying since the last two did nothing for me. My only gripe with the trailer is that it reveals so much. For Ep II, I put together a mega-trailer of the available trailers...just for fun, but it spoiled me a bit. I was going to do the same with EP III, but I won't bother. I want to go into this one fresh.

17. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I thought I heard the word rooster in that audio thing somewhere.

Though this leads to the question of why would you want to know what "YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE" is backwards.

18. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Well, the TPM trailers blew me away. I remember the shot of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan spinning and destroying battle droids with their sabers was far beyond anything we'd seen in the OT. Darth Maul's appearance was pure satanic evil. I was terribly excited. My expectations grew beyond realistic. So naturally the movie didn't live up to them.

Best to go in with an open mind, if possible. People generally seem to fall into two camps:

1) will be the best prequel of all!
    2) will be another sucky prequel!

All of this prejudgment is way too premature. Let's see the movie first before annointing its greatness or awfulness. I expect we'll all come out of this feeling about the same way have about the other prequels...those who hated I and II will hate this one, those who liked I and II will like this one. I don't expect much of a difference.

19. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Well I come back from Tenerife, rewind my videoplayer and what do I find?

:D :D :D

The :cool: thing EVER!

Jeez this trailer was awesome, right from Palpatine's hushed words to Vader crossing his arms.

Just like every SW trailer this one gave me chills and I am on a high.

There is just so much to look at and enjoy.
    The shot of Anakin leading troopers toward the Temple is just awesome, and Aayla & Ki-Adi being turned on is fantastic.

I'm gonna get back and watch this again...

20. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Nov 14, 2004
    Is it true that Carrot Top has a movie? That would be hysterical...in a horrible way.

Unfortunately, it is true. The only film in which I am aware that he has a starring role is a woefully unfunny piece of garbage called "Chairman of the Board" - I'm warning you, don't watch it! The film is so wretched that it actually disproves Roger Ebert's Stanton-Walsh Rule, which indicates that no movie featuring either Harry Dean Stanton or M. Emmett Walsh can be altogether bad. The next time someone tells you that Episodes 1 and 2 are the worst films ever made, subject them to this clunker - if they maintain the same position after the credits roll, then "send them to the dry cleaners", as Hitchcock did not quite say.

Jeez this trailer was awesome, right from Palpatine's hushed words to Vader crossing his arms.

You know what's amusing? Some people in the 3SA (a place I would not urge you to go at the moment, as spoilers are being released at a rather frequent clip) are actually beginning to complain about the shot in which Vader crosses his arms. This is ludicrous! First the inanity of the "Darth Mittens" controversy, now this? The current angle is that Vader's chest seems "too mushy"; has fan whining really been reduced to this sort of feeble complaining? I've said it before, and will do so again - Lucas could make a film which surpasses "The Magnificent Ambersons" in its power, and still people would find fault with it. Incredible.

And for the record, yes, I too thought that the trailer was awesome. (in case you didn't already know)

21. Ice Jedi

Ice Jedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 3, 2000
    Does anyone else think it sounds like Palpy has a cold at the beginning of the trailer? He sounds sick, almost like he has a stuffy nose and has to breathe out of his mouth.

Every time i watch the trailer that thought hits me. Its something i can't shake.

--Ice Jedi--
    NyQuil. It does wonders.

22. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    Believe it or not, but the scene with Bail calling out, was maybe the most chilling for me. Everything else I expected, should/could happen. Don't get me wrong though, the trailer was par excellence!

How about the horns section of the orchestration when the Senate building is seen. Just brilliant. Did anyone catch that?

23. SirKnightLord

SirKnightLord Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    I think its just Ian's talents at work...

Oh, and Ice, NyQuil *is* the greatest invention ever.

24. SirKnightLord

SirKnightLord Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    I caught that too, openmind. Gave me shivers...

25. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    That's great sirknight. I really wonder if the sound is actually a prelude what we?ll get on the Soundtrack. Frankly, Im very excited for that as well.

Another thing about the trailer is we see different angles of familiar places ie Jedi temple, the Senate, etc. Now that's truly expanding our original views of those areas from the previous eps. Im really stoked! 2 months more, is there such thing as human hibernation so I can sleep now and wake up on 19th May? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.