main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* ROTS Theatrical Trailer Thread (trailer discussion ONLY)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mace Windy, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classixboy

classixboy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, the September 11 parallel is definitely there in that shot of the Jedi temple. That's a pretty daring move on Lucas' part, I think.

2. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Yeah, the September 11 parallel is definitely there in that shot of the Jedi temple. That's a pretty daring move on Lucas' part, I think.

There have been a lot more tragity in this world than Sept 11th. A shot of a smokeing building is not automaticly a concious 9/11 homage.

!snap

3. Frank1212

Frank1212 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 2001
  4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Fair enough, but I think it's a pretty obvious homage.

5. classixboy

May 18, 2002
    snap-hiss: There have been a lot more tragity in this world than Sept 11th. A shot of a smokeing building is not automaticly a concious 9/11 homage.

Well, it will seem to be an obvious reference to post-September 11 audiences.

It need not even be the case that Lucas is consciously referring to that event. But the image smoke billowing from the World Trade Center is part of our "collective memory" if you will, and the similar image in ROTS will inevitably evoke whatever associations September 11 has for a lot of viewers.

For me, the image from ROTS, reminding me of September 11, evokes questions about the nature of evil and the monumental violence that evil can inflict.

But this is just a single shot from a movie that I haven't even seen yet.

6. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The entire Star Wars saga is pulled from history (samurai, Nazis, ancient myths, etc) so no reason why Lucas wouldn't use a little recent history, too.

Anyone have a thought as to what that weird repeating noise is after the final shot of Vader and the Emperor? Maybe the life support system used on Vader before he gets his suit?

7. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    well that's what I am thinking that heart beat noise was

8. classixboy

May 18, 2002
    yeah definitely life support

9. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Do you think it is actually heard in the movie, or do you think that they just put it in the trailer for effect?

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

10. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    Oh it'll definitely be heard in the movie

11. Irish_Ghost

Irish_Ghost Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    Well since it is being argued about wtc and the jedi temple burning, I want to give my opinion. I am from NY, my brother is a cop, luckily earlier that year he was transferred out of Manhattan. My father often met clients in the Towers, he had an id badge since '93 when the Towers were first hit. The shot of the jedi temple is very reminsict of when the Towers were burning in '01. And the reason I say this is the blue sky, it is th same blue. That morning the sky was clear blue. I was in the office, and they said a plane hit the North Tower. My, and my co-workers initial reaction, was that it was a small bi-plane, and how could the pilot miss the towers on such a clear day. The picture of the jedi temple and the sky in the background is the same, the same clarity, the same blue. The first time I saw it, i thought of that day.

thanks for your time.

-Ghost

12. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    i brought this out earlier but no one seemed to respond so lets see if anyone has any thought on it now. I like this trailer but the one thing that bothers me is that lucas has been doing a pretty good job of hiding that the chancelar is the emperor/sidous.

Only the die hard fans really knew already that senator palpitine was gonna become the emperor. palpitine (sp?) wasn't even used in ROTJ.

So anyways since I was thinking this revealing that the chancelar was a sith the whole time would of been maybe the "i am your father" moment of the PT, it seems kinda of a waste to reveal that in the trailer. If anyone watches this trailer its obvious that the chancelar was the sith the whole time.

But as for me that already knew that, this trailer is AWSOME!

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I don't know... doesn't the average person realize they're the same by now? Unless they think Sidious and Palps are clones, there's no sensible explanation for why they look so much alike and they seem to further one another's motives so well. For example, "I have the Senate bogged down in procedure..." Doesn't that line alone make it obvious?

There have been a lot more tragity in this world than Sept 11th. A shot of a smokeing building is not automaticly a concious 9/11 homage.

Yes, but that's the association most immediately conjured up for western audiences in the post-9/11 world. And the Ghost-sock is right that the imagery is extremely similar - here we have what would otherwise be a pleasant day, the clear blue sky of Indian summer, and this noxious cloud of smoke billowing across it like a poison to consume our innocence.

14. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "I don't know... doesn't the average person realize they're the same by now?"

Of all of my casual fan friends, only one bozo still doesn't realize that Palpatine=Sidious. I don't think that it is that hard for the average person to figure out. Even Lucas himself said in the TPM commentary that he intended that final shot at Qui-Gon's funeral to be the "a-ha!" shot.

My mother, the first time she saw TPM, said that she had it figured out even before that point in the film. So...most people should know.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoiler!

15. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    when i watched TPM with ppl that never saw TPM before i told them palpitine is the emperor from ROTJ, but if i didn't i dont think they woulda known.

They just assumed palpitine is the leader of the good guys and sidious is a bad guy. THey weren't trying to 'figure out' who sidious was since they didn't think there was a need to figure it out i guess.

if would try to figure out who sidious is then yes its easy, but many i think dont think there is a need to figure out who sidious is.

16. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Only the die hard fans really knew already that senator palpitine was gonna become the emperor. palpitine (sp?) wasn't even used in ROTJ.

That's not totally correct. Anyone who actually paid attention to TPM gathered that they were the same person. My biggest pet peve with bashers of the PT is that a good 90% of them (SW fans included) didn't pay attention enough to understand the film.

SW fan or not, if you didn't gather all the reasons Palpatine invaded Naboo, the many levels to how he became elected, and that he and Sidious are the same Person from the first viewing of TPM you weren't paying attention.

!snap

17. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    i saw it in the theater on saturday and i'd say seeing it there was worth the rip off that theater going is these days.
    seeing it like that gave me even more chills then the 1st time i saw it i think.
    now i'm going to try to not watch it again.
    TRY.....

18. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Actually, there's an easier way, other than actually watching TPM.

Observe the text from the back of the TPM VHS:

Obi-Wan Kenobi, the wise old Jedi from the original series, is a dertermined young apprentice and Palpatine, well known as the evil Empeor, is an ambitious Senetor in the Galactic Republic.

19. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    when TPM was coming out Lucas was making sidious sound like he's a different person from palpitine.

I had that vanity fair magazine with star wars. ANd lucas was talking about TPM will be lacking in having vader and the emperor, but instead its gonna have maul and sidious.

Even I was tricked. I KNEW palpitine would become the emperor but even I at first thought sidious was another sith and palpitine would somehow become evil too and become a sith. (after a couple times watching it, it accured to be sidious was palpitine)

i just assumed there wasn't a need to try to 'figure out' who sidious was, cuz i just figured he was another sith, not the sith that would become the emperor aka palpitine.

20. oBi1JaCoBi

oBi1JaCoBi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 1999
    After watching the ROTS trailer, I told my girlfriend (also a huge SW fan) that I think ROTS will be pretty good. After she saw the trailer, this is what she believes ROTS will be:

?I dont think its a bad trailer,I just think its going to lead to a bad movie. Ok this is my analysis thus far. We'll see how close I am. The movie is going to start and someone?s going to kill Dooku...it better be Anakin, in like 5 minutes because they don?t have enough time to keep him in the movie any longer than that. They have to get to more important things...like Wookies. Ok, so then Anakin leaves...but not before he gets a really menacing looking scar on his face and he develops creepy dark circles under his eyes. He visits all the other Jedi who say "hmm...well he?s the most important person in the room, and we all know he?s not ready to be a master Jedi or whatever...but lets put him on babysitting watch for the guy who we think is the new dark lord of the um....dark side."
    So then Anakin throws a hissy fit over something like Obi-Wan telling him he can?t cross the street without holding his hand so he goes home to Padme and bitches and moans and throws something which makes her cry -- then he goes to begin his babysitting. So he?s talking to Palpatine, and Palpatine?s like "Yep...so the dark side is cool. They achieve all these great powers?and they always cross the street by themselves...and you get free dental." So Anakin goes "really cool!!"
    Then Palpatine?s like "Well before you get all the power, you have to go kill all the Jedi." And so he kills all the Jedi, including the children, and then Padme finds out and cries. Then she finds out she?s pregnant with his children and cries again.
    Meanwhile Obi-Wan has gotten whisked off to Wookie land to fight a Wookie war which has a space part led by Jimmy Smits and which has nothing to do with anything but will be juxtaposed next to every other scene in the movie. You'll see Padme crying, then a Wookie being killed. You'll see Anakin hack up some Jedi, then Jimmy Smits firing a super laser. It'll be awesome. Ok so anyway, meanwhile, Palpatine is back home sharpening up his lightsaber when who comes in but Mace Windu, saying a line that?s supposed to be as cool as "this party's over!" but wont be. So then Palpatine puts that cool cape he?s been walking around with to some good use and lunges at all the council - killing them all, but not without some witty threatening banter from Mace.
    Then Palpatine leaves, and guess who he bumps into? Why Yoda of course. So they start having a light saber duel and Yoda is doing all his cool flips - maybe he even hides under Palpatine?s cloak at one point - probably because somehow in between this scene and the last, Palpatine has grown hideously ugly and has a bad case of tooth decay (maybe there is no free dental after all)
    So the duel ends with Yoda running away to live in a swamp, which coincides with the end of the Great Wookie War. Then Obi-wan finds Anakin and duels with him until Anakin falls into the lava and whatnot -- then Obi-Wan runs back to Padme who dies giving birth to twins...while crying. The movie ends with Darth Vader and Palpatine looking out the space window at the beginning of construction on the death star....which leads to memories of a much greater age in Lucas filmmaking.
    THE END"

Now, even though I find it really funny, and it's not like I can change her opinion, how would you respond to that?

21. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    then don't watch it.
    its that simple i'm sorry......

22. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I don't know oBi1JaCoBi, that sounds like a pretty bloody good movie to me! :p

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

23. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    Well I would hope Padme would already figure she's pregnant bu then :p

24. oBi1JaCoBi

oBi1JaCoBi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 1999
    Hah yeah... I sure hope Leia sees her mother enough in ROTS to make her line about knowing her mother in ROTJ credible though.

Anyway, I personally thought this was one of the best Star Wars trailers -- it has me excited about Episode 3 -- music choice always bothered me in the previous trailers, but this one finally got it right.

25. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    What's funny is that the trailer had no music from ROTS. Although I've heard the score for ROTS is going to be phenomenal.[face_devil]

What can you tell your girlfriend?

Describing a plot is one thing, seeing it onscreen is a whole 'nother thing.

What is the highest-grossing film of all time? Titanic. What happens? A rich girl and a poor boy fall in love, she loses an expensive necklace, he dies, the ship goes down. Oh wait, we already knew the ship was going down.

I'm not going to do a similar breakdown of the SW films, but you could.;)

Plus, she's way off on a couple of things there.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.