main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* ROTS TV Spots Discussion Thread (3 released on OS today)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by leelee, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    On the OS there are three TV spots!! I haven't downloaded them yet, but one looks to be new, because it has a great quote by Anakin.

2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Good catch. I totally missed those. Lots of new stuff in them. The 'tragedy' trailer is almost completely new material. Anakin's scar is flipped in one shot, hope they catch that, perhaps an intentional shot reversal for the trailer?

Is that the new theme music?????

Wow. Not sure what to think. There as some great things in there and a couple I don't like. A mixed bag.

Why is Anakin saying "nooo!" and then lighting his saber? This looks to be in Palps office. The one thing that would be spectacular is if Palps tells him the truth and then he goes after him. Oh boy would that be sweet.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    They're amazing!!! :D

And yes, there is definitely some new music mixed in there. :D

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    What a day!

The third TV spot is just the teaser trailer condensed and chopped up.

The other two are fantastic. Coruscant is going to look especially good.

What a day! These combined with the Trivial Pursuit scene leaks.

storm - I can tell you that Hayden's acting IS going to be better.

I love the way he says "don't you turn on me!" It sounds so much like Luke Skywalker to me.

5. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    Wow! My thread is official!! YAY! But I still haven't seen the spots, my comuter isn't letting me see them and I'm dying to see them!!!

6. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    "Anakin, you're breaking my heart!" More emotion from Padme in one line than in the previous two movies combined. [face_devil]

Threepio's "Oh no!" was so OT.

Obi-Wan and Anakin dueling on some disgustingly small platform through the lava. I can see why some LFL'ers are saying that The Duel is going to be the best fight ever on film.

There's one shot near the end of "Dark Side Unleashed" where Anakin's Jedi Starfighter swings by the camera with missiles trailing it. The CG is great.

There's one shot of Yoda with a door closing that may be the best CG I've ever seen.

They really are hiding Grievous, neh?

7. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    someone please help me!! This is killing me, I'm dying to see it!! Every time I open the window to download it, The picture is not in the center and it is all messed up! Any help here would be hot

8. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
  9. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I wasn't impressed with Hayden on 'Tragedy,' nor with Portman. Also, the shot of them on the little platform over the lava looks pretty weird. I'm worried that the duel will have too much fanciness (this platform, the swinging on ropes). I'd rather just see them slug it out then dance around like a disney ride.

There's just something about Christensen's delivery and voice that gets on my nerves. Unfortunately I don't think that is going to change.

I'm still processing the new music in my head. I think I like it!

10. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    really, storm?

I think everything I've seen about The Duel has been great. The cable swinging is a bit weird though.

Hayden does have a certain delivery, but I think he's come a long way from AOTC.

Far more confident and mature.

11. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Yes, I'll grant you that he sounds better than AOTC, and Portman is at last finally showing some emotion. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

My favorite shot in the ads is Anakin coming up to the top of the stairs with the clone army behind him, and the city in the background. Very dramatic.

12. sithlord2049

sithlord2049 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    Holy...crap! That tragedy commercial was freakin amazing. Holy crap!

Thought I'm not sure about Portman's delivery of that "Your breaking my heart" line. But I'm just doing superficial nitpicking...what's it matter. That commercial rocked.

I'm just really surprise that they would put them on here this early.

13. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    Well, the commercials look great! But my work computer doesn't have speakers and I left my headphones at home, so I have to wait another 2 hours to hear the new music and lines. :_|

14. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Actually, I think Portman's acting in the "you're breaking my heart" line is the best we've seen from her in the prequels.

She sounds pretty freaked out to me. And she has good reason to be. ;)

I like that shot of Palpatine raising his hands, shot from behind. I think ROTS is going to have some phenomenal shots in it.

Seeing gold Threepio really hits home for me. We're FINALLY back to SW the way we know it and want it. And love it. :D

15. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    You guys all know that Threepio is my favorite character, but instead of coming into this thread and gushing all over him, I have decided to gush all over Yoda instead.

Wow! ROTS CG Yoda looks head and shoulders better than a pretty darn impressive AOTC Yoda. I especially liked the shot of Yoda and Anakin alone in that dark room. The lighting effects on Yoda's face are amazing! We all know that George is a visual story-teller, and it really looks as if we are in for another visual delight.

I have some of the same minor worries as storm. The shot of Anakin and Obi-Wan dueling on the lava platform looked too CG to me.

The new shot of Palpatine with the lightsaber also looked a bit off. Didn't the blade look a good half-foot too short?

Also, the delivery of Padme's line seemed very weird. I have the feeling, though, that it will sound a lot better once we hear it used in the context of the film. A lot of people's freaking out about Anakin's "Excuse me" line from the Attack of the Clones trailer was unwarrented. I feel as though this Padme line will be the same way.

All in all, this movie is shaping up to be great. I am delighted that Lucasfilm decided to put so much new material into these TV spots! :D

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

16. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Oh. My. God. :eek:

I had to watch the "tragedy" one like 8 times in a row. Just... wow. The line Anakin says before "you're breaking my heart" may or may not be in context, so I think it's impossible to judge from this clip alone. But I LOVED it. Damn, and I got to see the trailer again in the theater before "Sin City"... and I went to midnight madness... I'm totally on overload tonight. :D

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I think the trailers and TV spots are so cut up, it's hard to say that one line will definitely follow another.

I still like Portman's delivery there, for once I find myself defending her. 8-}

18. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    The "Tragedy" television spot was a small masterpiece. The others, however, were poorly edited and a tad underwhelming. I have to agree with Mace Windy and stormcloud8 that the floating lava platform on which Anakin and Obi-Wan duel looks far too phony; some of that has to do, I think, with that glowing blue light which seems to cut through the near side of the object in question. I hope that that shot can be tweaked by the time the film is released, but it is a bit curious that Lucas would choose to include an unfinished image in a TV spot.[face_plain]

Actually, I think Portman's acting in the "You're breaking my heart" line is the best we've seen from her in the prequels.

She sounds pretty freaked out to me. And she has good reason to be.
    ;)

"You're making me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry."

I agree. Although Portman has had some nice moments of subtlety and understatement, her performance thus far has been rather straightforward. That was a chilling little moment...

There's just something about Christensen's delivery and voice that gets on my nerves. Unfortunately I don't think that is going to change.

Fair enough, and while I see the validity of your complaint, I cannot agree with it. Hayden has, in my opinion, given the richest and most complex portrayal in the entire "Star Wars" canon (in AOTC). That comment is likely to drive some people nuts, but it is an accurate reflection of my opinion, for what it's worth. "Star Wars" acting is, I think we will agree, on a slightly different plane from the more traditional, proto-method performances which tend to dominate contemporary films. All five of the existent pictures contain performances which are deliberately stylized and derivative of pre-1950 Hollywood acting formalities. Many people complain about the "whininess" of Hayden's dialogue deliveries in "Attack of the Clones", but considering that both the film and the performance serve as primarily intermediate or transitional pieces of a gradually developing arc, I think that it was actually necessary for Christensen and Lucas to portray Anakin in that manner. Hayden successfully bridges the characteristics of Jake Lloyd's performance in "The Phantom Menace", with some of the more vicious and pronounced manifestations of the character that he will eventually become in "Revenge of the Sith". It is actually a very technical piece of acting, as Samuel L. Jackson did not quite say in the recent web doc, and one which is, to my mind, unfairly maligned. Whether or not Hayden "delivers" in "Sith" remains to be seen, of course.

EDITEDFor slightly spoilerific allusions.

19. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    StormCloud, a lot of people have looked at Hayden's performances differently after they realized he was attempting to mimic JEJ's inflection and rhythm with his speech. That's why there's a slight british accent at times (a lot on the r's), a lower monotone delivery, and a very deliberate pace to his speech.

Before I learned about that (which was just recently even though he said it on the Ep 2 webdocs), I figured he was just struggling with the material. But now I see it as a nuanced performance.

One spot that this really stands out for me is in the Ep 3 trailer where he asks Palpatine, "Is it possible to learn this power?" Imagine the way he said with voice modulation to sound like Vader - it's incredibly similar to how JEJ's Vader would deliver it. Like Ewan's Obi-Wan, Hayden is stuck with a certain style to match continuity.

And if you had already known about that, well, I guess you'll never completely enjoy it. But at least know that was the intention behind the performance.

Back to the TV spots, I don't actually like the line 'you're breaking my heart'...it's probably taken out of context and I think the delivery is fine, the line is just a little cliche for me. But I originally hated the 'It's all Obi-Wan's fault, he's holding me back' line in AOTC, but it fit in the context of the scene.

The longer approach shot of Anakin and the troopers is amazing. Am I the only one who can't tell if they're CG or real? They look fantastic!

I'm also a little sketchy on the lava platform thing. It looks poorly composited in there, which is odd considering how well the rest of the Mustafar scenes have looked so far.

20. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    I loves these!
    Does anikin confess to being in love to (to not with ;)) yoda?
    And holy hell! a fight on a moving platform!
    And you've just gotta love 3-P0s 'oh no!'

Great stuff! I just cant wait for may 19th!

21. 3263827

3263827 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 1999
    Just wanted to toss in my 2 cents, and say that I thought Portman's "you're breaking my heart" was very powerful. Easily her best performance. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

22. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I think everything I've seen about The Duel has been great. The cable swinging is a bit weird though.

It'll make more sense once you see it in context.

;)

23. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    About the cables, could it be Lucas' nod to the Errol Flynn's Robin Hood movies?

Also is it just me or does when Obi Wan give the, "But You Were The Chosen One" line, it looks like he does not have his saber. Could it be that, he uses Anakin's own saber, to win the duel?

Also I really liked both TV spots :D

24. mrfootball

mrfootball Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    i must know what OS is!!!

25. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Official Site (www.starwars.com)

- O_F

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.