main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* ROTS TV Spots Discussion Thread (3 released on OS today)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by leelee, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think the 'Hayden acting ability' debate can never be settled, because it's a matter of opinion, not fact. I agree that he's been trying to modulate his vocal patterns, and at times it works - "Is it possible to learn this power?" being an example of where it works very well. But I'll say that he grated on me in his non-Star Wars films as well. And it bothers me, because I really WANT to like him. I want to be blown away by his performance in ROTS. And the minor dialogue in the trailer was encouraging. But I just rolled my eyes when watching 'Tragedy' and thought 'here we go again.' The one shot where he is hooded and looking angry and his eyes flit back and forth a little just looked to me like a 5 year old throwing a temper tantrum. Even his "noooo" just sounds a little dorky.

2. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Wow. This was an unexpected surprise.

The Tragedy commercial is my favorite...I really love the new music in it.

As far as the duel I agree about the platform fighting being a bit over the top for my liking. Hopefully it will all work out and the whole fight will not be jumping from obstacle to obstacle. But I have faith and May 19th can not get here soon enough.

3. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Yes, I've watched a few times now, and I like the music more and more each time. Very primitive, very tragic. Very sad and dramatic. Perfect.

4. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    Am I the only one who thinks the abrupt musical strike at the end seems really awkward? Not that most people will care, but it seems like they realized, "Oh crap, we're out of time, put that in there!"

5. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I agree with you. The music did that for the teaser trailer as well. It sounds awful.

The Tragedy spot does not have that abrupt musical ending, though, and it sounds wonderful!

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

6. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    Another thought...the new shot of Yoda pulling out his saber looks to me like the worst CG shot of him I've seen from AOTC and from ROTS so far. It looks far too crisp, like something out of a video game.

In the same vein, I looked at the floating duel part again and I realized what it was - the compositing is really done poorly. Anakin and Obi-Wan look like they were just thrown in there instead of carefully composited in there, so the camera focus seems too sharp on them while the rest of the shot is a little off. My friend in the CG/FX industry tells me that happens when a shot is rushed and it happens all too often (Return of the King is the most acknowledged example in the industry). I hope George has allocated enough time for the ILM folks to get this one right!

7. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Hard to believe that we are so close to the end. Part of me wants May 19th to never get here, but then there is a a part that can not wait.

It is the moments of the trailers, the TV spots, the midnight madness, the first time hearing new music....etc It is these things that I remember as much as seeing the movie for the first time and it is moments like these that I will miss since for the past 10 years they have been something fun to look forward to.

I do not know where that sentimentality came from. haha.

Now watching commercials will be more fun since these will pop up from time to time.

8. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Whoa. The Tragedy commercial is great. I can't get enough of it. :D

And gold 3PO owns me. That's great.

9. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    Tragedy is so freaking fantastic!!!! Oh my gosh I loved every second of it, and I thought Hayden and Natalie did a great job, what's all the fuss about? Dark Side unleashed was cool too, but I loved tragedy and I LOVED the new theme!!!

10. zenwave

zenwave Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    Wow! When Anakin says, "The Jedi have turned against me, don't you turn against me", who is he talking to?!

He seems to be on Mustafar with ash and sparks all around, so he could be talking to ObiWan - but ObiWan is a Jedi! Could he be talking to Palpatine, not knowing who he really is?

These last days are going to be really hard. I really want to know things, but I don't want to have any small suprises spoiled, but with all the books out, it's going to be tough!

11. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Ok, I've been watching them again... this time while sober... ;)

In "Tragedy":

What exactly does Anakin tell Yoda he's afraid of losing? I wonder if he mentions Padme specifically. I get the feeling Anakin's still trying to be evasive at this point, but Yoda has to know something...

I don't think Anakin's line "don't you turn aganist me" is from the same spot as Padme's "you're breaking my heart". He really looks to be on Mustafar... saying it to Obi-Wan?

I love all of Hayden's deliveries, especially the "The Jedi turned aganist me..."

It's driving me crazy trying to figure who Anakin is swinging his saber at in Palpatine's office... Palpy or Mace? :cool:

The new music makes me very, very happy.

I like the "Dark Side" one more and more. You guys are right about the platform thing, though I have total faith in ILM for the finished movie. But those shots of Anakin walking in front of the clonetroopers seriously give me chills.

12. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    I don't think Anakin's line "don't you turn aganist me" is from the same spot as Padme's "you're breaking my heart". He really looks to be on Mustafar... saying it to Obi-Wan?

I agree, I've looked it over several times, and Padmé does not seem to be saying that at the same place.

The "Tragedy" commercial (factoring in brevity) is up there with the theatrical trailer to me. That gave me chills, as well. Incredible.

13. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I've voiced my concerns about the acting, but that doesn't stop 'Tragedy' from giving me a chill, too. I really REALLY hope that Anakin is going after Palps. I want to know why Vader is so scared of him in the OT.

14. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    Ooh, you guys are talking about the Tragedy spot but I'm staying away. I can't bring myself to watch it. Pennance for accidentally seeing the Anakin #50 figure in the new Insider on Tuesday....grrr! I just can't bring myself to do it. I want to and I saw the other clips but this one...too much new stuff, must learn control. Or are you guys going to sway me to the Dark side?

15. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Yeah, that Anakin figure was not expected. But it looks very cool.

16. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Huh? What is this cable swinging of which you speak? I have watched both traielrs and all three spots, and I haven't seen any 'cable swinging.'

That aside, Tragedy is incredible! I think the line "The Jedi turned against me. Don't you turn against me." will come after he is Vader, and has elimnated most of the Jedi, and still wants Padme to stand by his side. She is horrified by his actions, and so he says...well, that.

Slimy!

17. Frank1212

Frank1212 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 2001
    I only had one qualm about the TV spots, and that was Padme's "Anakin, you're breaking my heart!" line. That line sounds like something taken straight out of a bad soap opera skit.

18. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    The cable swinging is the final shot in the theatrical trailer before the "Episode III" logo shows up.

19. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    I think she delivers that line very well. I was quite impressed, compared to Natalie's previously shown acting ability.

Moreover, I don't see anything wrong with the line. The whole idea is that it is a "tragedy." Her husband has turned against her, his children (whether or not he knows this), their marriage, and all that is good. It probably does break her heart.

20. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Sadly, I think the debate here over just a couple of lines could mean we're in for the same general reaction to ROTS as AOTC. Great movie, but many people won't enjoy the acting of Portman and Christensen.

21. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I loved the lines in the trailers personally, and it really does sound like her heart was broken. However some of my friends who saw the trailer hated the "You were the Chosen One!" line and thought it sounded like Obi-Wan was whining so the public may have issues...again.

22. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Then let them have their issues. People are going to find reasons to dislike these films. Period. No matter what. I couldn't care less, and George Lucas couldn't care less. He knows that these people are going to pay money to see his film (more than once, probably) regardless of their final opinion of the film. He also knows that his universe is beloved by more than not.

Almost every line that I have heard in the trailers and commercials has been incredible. What the actual chemistry will be between these in the film may be a different story, but that's not the point.

23. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, since at this point I'm pretty much completely spoiled, I went ahead and read the Screenplay.

All the lines in the trailers make more sense in context, I can tell you that.

Boy oh boy, are there going to be some powerful scenes in this movie.

24. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    My god, people will nitpick everything. I thought "You were the chosen one" is one of the most powerful lines in the saga, period. It's desperate, pleading, and just darn full of emotion, and Ewan's delivery is heart wrenching.

Even my PT basher girlfriend said that hearing that line and seeing the trailer gives her "a new hope" (pun intended).

25. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    Oh, I loved 'Tragedy'. The "Don't you turn against me" and the "You're breaking my heart" lines were so mush-inducing. I think there are going to be some amazing scenes in terms of acting in this movie, something I never really expected from SW! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.