main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official SCFF Website Development Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Kai_Vandekar, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Ok, so...I am volunteering to help out the SCFF by designing (codesigning, whatever) a website for us all. But I definitely need input if we're going to have a site we all enjoy!

So, obviously we'll want a gallery for costumes and events, right? And I assume a membership page with pics and a bio. Probably a front page with things like upcoming events. A link to CafePress or whatever if we make shirts with our logo? A links page to our own websites, if we have them and want them linked, as well as links to other FFs, etc.?

What else...? Discuss!

- Kai

2. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004

*prepares to have fun with this at Kai's expense then changes his mind and gets serious*

Yeah, a place to park photos would be good. Bios... well I'm not much to giving too much personal info out to just anyone, but character info, yeah sure. Just make sure you leave Koza enough room so his Seeeeeix don't line feed, ahem. So much for serious, *coughs* okay, okay.

*I'd like to see a "add the caption" weekly feature where a photo is shown and people send in their captions. It supports the "irreverent" aspect of our site.

*A links page for resources and events would be good.

*Maybe a background sound of gentle waves washing up on the beach against the sound of Jedi screaming as Order 66 is carried out... or not. (It's a Sid thing).

*A link to this place, for 'chure.

*I don't think we need to set up mail there, unless Kai really likes to have even less time now.

*Don't forget the disclaimer, copyright boilerplate info, etc. etc., don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Once the dust settles I'm going to consider doing T shirts for Sid's Used Speeders, guess I could add the SCFF logo if we had one to the back (*politely prods Josie the artist*) Tell you what, just send me the images we took a year ago of Mast K. and I surfing and I'll photoshop it against a volcanic background. Did I mention I have Fireworks and Dreamweaver at work? Time is rather restricted and I know how to do my dept webpage, don't know how to work a remote webpage, but maybe I can put together portions of the pages for some stuff to help out in my "abundant spare time" (right).

And of course, the password protected link to the cantina section, where we keep all our dirty little secrets... we do have dirty little secrets don't we?

Don't we?

Or not...

Maybe that's just me *blushes*

3. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Thank you for the copyright reminder! Yes, that's rather a must, isn't it?

With the bio/member page, I think that a persona bio would be fine. Or, if people are waaaay not into a bio page, we can cut it.

I'm "go" for a caption contest, ASSUMING the rest of youse contribute regularly. :) I do this internal "silly" newsletter at work, and half the time end up supplying all the content myself, although it is billed as one that you can contribute to. I'm not that funny, people, so if you want the Irreverant Side of the Force, you'll have to supply it.

;)

Thanks for the good suggestions, Sid.

Gentle waves lapping and screaming Jedi. You bad bad man.

- Kai

4. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    I do my best *beams*

5. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Ok, due to a flareup of tendonitis (thanks, Revan. Never trust a Sith...), my web-page designing is going to be deferred for a little while. My apologies. But I will get it on track ASAP.

- Kai, bummed out

6. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Hey, no problem, we've waited this long.

And sure, sure, blame the sith, they are at the root of all the galaxy's ills, yada, yada, blah blah. It's all the Jedi have been whining about for YEARS now.

Well, that and George Bush. Probably the same somewhere...

Naw, the Sith are more discreet.

7. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Hey, with all the cool links I'm dredging up from the past, it would be nice to have a categorized resource links page too.

Categories like:

Makeup
    Costume (fabrics, notions, patterns, etc)
    Props
    Materials
    Electronics
    Surplus stores (military, marine, and aircraft)
    Models and hobby stores

etc. etc.

Something we could edit and keep current.

This is all when you start feeling better, BTW, no rush.

8. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Good ideas, Sid! Thank you very much for the ideas and input.

I did, last Friday, start monkeying around with layouts, etc. So, work is beginning, albeit a little slowly.

What do people think about incorporating an image of the Giant Dipper somehow into the main page? That seems to be our SC focal point, although obviously there's other stuff/images we could use that are iconic of SC.

- Kai

9. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Banana Slug too! GO SLUGS!

10. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    The Dipper is great!!! It is sooo Santa Cruz..and hmmm we MUST do something with the Banana Slugs...[face_dancing] :D

11. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Sooooo... how's the site coming? Or is Kai still comatose from the con and the heat?

Hope she's not in the area with the power out, Livermore is listed. Also hope we stay on line as well, latest news don't sound too great.

http://www.kcbs.com/pages/60650.php

12. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Honest, I really am working on the website. Slooooooowly. But I am working on it. I was wondering if we wanted a "profile" page? You know, with a picture of us (in costume or not) and a brief blurb containing as much or as little info as we wanted.

Picture of Me Being Stupid:
    Kai is our webmistress. She likes pet rocks.

Picture of Master K Being Silly:
    Master K won't BBQ burgers due to Mustafarian post traumatic stress...

I dunno...anyway, I have driven myself nuts trying to find good pics of the Giant Dipper (they are surprisingly thin on the ground) and then trying to incorporate it into layout. Ditto for other Santa Cruz icons, like banana slugs and the lighthouse, etc. In frustration, I came up with a tie-dyed logo instead. Will this potentially pass muster? I know we'll need to see how it fits with overall layout, but I thought I would post the pic and say, "Do we still need the Giant Dipper?" If so, I will keep experimenting...

[image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/001859rc.jpg]

13. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    I like it..along with the "BBQ Trauma" LOL

Of course we have to run it by "George" first. LOL (But it does look cool)

These are the only two decent photos of the Giant Dipper that I have found:

Ok won't let me put them up (get a photo deleted block) so here is the link

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/Master--Kenobi/Stuff/?action=view&current=Boardwalkcomplete.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

and

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/Master--Kenobi/Stuff/?action=view&current=BoardwalkAM.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch2

Also found a GREAT print of the Santa Cruz Beach from 1870!!!!! Will have to scan that one in.

14. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Ohhhh can we also add music.. like "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane? (Properly Santa Cruzy..) LOL

15. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Good boardwalk pics! Did Siri take those? Thanks, I will see what I can do with them.

16. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    I think so... I'm not really sure LOL

17. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    And...the best pic ever that just sums it all up

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/Master--Kenobi/Stuff/?action=view&current=BananaSlugssnuggling.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

Banana Slug Luuuuuvvvvvvvvvv... LOL

18. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    LOL, love the one "Do not feed birds" with the really reaaaaaly FAT seagull nearby.

19. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Gull: I love humans....they can't read...and I look cute...heh heh heh

20. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    *politely taps foot*

Sooooo... how's it going?

21. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    coming along..slowly but coming along:D

22. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I am sorry. I have been lax of late. My bad. I can't guarantee fast movement for the next little while, since I go to New Zealand in a few weeks and will be gone three weeks. It may have to wait until after that. But then, I deserve to be poked and prodded until I get it done.

My apologies. I'll get cracking on it.

- Kai :)

23. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Bring me back a Kiwi!! (the bird, not the New Zealand people) :p
    And have a great trip!

24. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    LOL! Probably easier to bring back a Kiwi (person) than an Kiwi (bird). :)

Anyway, many apologies for being a lazy and bad webmaster. I will get my rear in gear. :( I confess I've diddled with a number of designs and just plain didn't LIKE any of them. I guess I need to just slap it together anyway, and then we'll have something, and we can refine as we go. Remind me it doesn't need to be perfect right out of the box.

- Kai

25. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    LOL! Probably easier to bring back a Kiwi (person) than an Kiwi (bird). :)

Anyway, many apologies for being a lazy and bad webmaster. I will get my rear in gear. :( I confess I've diddled with a number of designs and just plain didn't LIKE any of them. I guess I need to just slap it together anyway, and then we'll have something, and we can refine as we go. Remind me it doesn't need to be perfect right out of the box.

- Kai

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.