main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Season 2 DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion Thread (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Senator Kelberry, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I asked Garth_Maul if it was OK to talk about this stuff and he said yes, and to create a new thread for it, so here we go.

As it happens, Amazon, in their eagerness to make good on their release day delivery, wound up delivering my copy of the Blu-Ray edition yesterday afternoon.

As the topic says this is a spoiler thread so if you want to be surprised on Tuesday, you might want to turn around.

My initial impressions (and again, this is regarding the Blu-Ray edition):

The Production Journal:

Of course the big plus for me was that it's not permanently attached to the case, although I do plan to keep it there when I'm not looking at it. The sketches inside are pretty good and there's a very brief note from Dave Filoni about the cover art he drew and where they got alot of their inspiration from when making season 2. While I'm not going to detail every drawing, my more favorite ones include a portrait drawing of Bossk, Aurra Sing, and Boba Fett posing for the "camera" on the bridge of Slave 1, a panoramic concept drawing of the Coruscant Underworld, and a drawing of Barriss and Ahsoka wedged inside that supertank from "Weapons Factory" after it caved in around them.

The Discs:

I have to confess, I'm kind of disappointed in the menu system. Whereas with the movie and the first season they had an active video background of clips from the show, this menu uses a single static shot of Yoda on the silver background next to the series title. The menu system itself, though, is the same, and everything is in the same places as before. I kind of miss having a featurette for every single episode, but the ones they've done for the various arcs are, I think, longer, to make up for it. I think people are especially going to be interested in watching the one on Mandalore. Dave talks more about Jango Fett in that one and the line from "The Mandalore Plot" that drove everyone nuts.

If you look through the "Jedi Archives" on each disc, aside from production art there are deleted scenes. Many of them, though, are layout quality prior to finished rendering, but they still have dialog. There are some production quality scenes, though, with completed dialog, they're just missing background music.

BTW, Dave, if you happen to read this. You look fine without the hat...but please wear the hat more often. We like the hat.

All in all, I'm happy with it. Any disappointments are more than easily made up for by the presentation of the episodes and the extras available.

Anyone else get this early? Let's talk about it!

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's a let down. Do you know the lenght of the featurettes?

3. Senator Kelberry

Mar 22, 2010
    Yes.

Magic of the Holocron - 12:44
    Return to Geonosis - 17:11
    Creating Mandalore - 18.42
    Attack of the Zillo Beast - 15:33

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Thanks. That doesn't seem so short after all. A shame that it only arrives on November 15th in Europe...

5. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    Thanks for the first impressions. :) I'll bet the episodes look gorgeous on Blu-Ray. Unfortunately, I haven't made the jump to Hi-Def just yet.

I bought season one when it came out, but then my little cousin saw it when he came over my house and "borrowed" it. I haven't seen it since. If it were anyone but my little cousin--who practically worships the show because of me--I would've went over to his house with a torch and a pitchfork to get it back. ;)

Long story short, I need to buy season one again. So, I saw that Amazon is having a sale on the DVD versions of both season one and season two. Season one is around $22 and season two is about $29. I'm gonna put in my order for both tomorrow. I can't wait to sit and watch the Mandalore Trilogy again.

6. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    I'm going up to my Walmart tonight around midnight (after I go to Gamestop to pick up The Force Unleashed II!) Do any of you think they'll have it, and if so would they release it to me if it's not on the shelf yet?

7. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    What's the point of making a new topic when there is the exact same topic 8 topics down?

Anyway excited for this, picking it up after I get off the train tomorrow from classes. A bit disappointing with no extended episodes and no featurettes for each episode.

8. Senator Kelberry

Mar 22, 2010
    *shrug* I was concerned about talking about it when I got it a few days before the release and G_M suggested making a new topic for it for spoiler type info about the set and the stuff in it.

For example, I actually just got finished looking at the Jedi Archives on the 3rd disc, and apparently they did an alternate ending for Lethal Trackdown as well. It's pre-rendered quality, but the dialogue is so much better in my opinion than the ending they went with. Boba insists that he'll get his revenge on Windu "Next time it will be just you and me!" Windu responds "There won't be a next time." I think that line would have worked so much better in the finished episode.

9. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    WOW

That's so much better.

10. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    :eek:

In what universe is You started it! I'll never forgive you!"" a better line?!

11. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Wow, that is so much better.

12. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't know what's going on at WB in Australia, but the set was pushed back to the 10th of November, and now the date is unspecified.

It's a madhouse! A MADHOUSE!!!

Wait, wrong franchise. Let's try that again...

I have a bad feeling about this.

13. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Audio commentaries?

14. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    does the dvds have the deleted scenes?

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Forgot to ask: Which episodes are extended versions?

16. Senator Kelberry

Mar 22, 2010
    Well, in fairness I haven't watched all of them, but I don't think any of them are. At least there's no indication that any of them are.

17. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Picked mine up at Borders Books today.

40% off coupon good for today and tomorrow!!!
    http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/40test20101026.html

Knocked the blu-ray of ssn 2 down to $38 with tax.

18. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Well, I pre-ordered mine from StarWarsShop.com back in August and I checked the status of my order to see if it shipped and it said they were 'out of stock'...WTheck?[face_plain] I thought pre-ordering guarenteed you a copy when it finally shipped, otherwise it defeats the whole purpose of pre-order.:confused:

19. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    Okay, just picked mine up on DVD. NO COMMENTARIES AGAIN!!!!! WTF???!! Wasn't this advertised as having commentaries on around 6 or 7 episodes?

From StarWars.com:

"Bonus features include a look inside the Lucasfilm vaults, with featurette interviews along with Director and Artist commentaries on each disc."

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What do you mean "again"? My Season 1 DVD has behind-the-scenes commentaries for each episode. On season 2 they have commentaries too as seen above.

21. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    I'm a little mad with Amazon. I pre-ordered the Blu Ray on Friday or Saturday and clicked "2 day shipping- Get it the day it comes out". I have Amazon Student Prime, so I would have picked one day shipping for $4 if it was an option. You would imagine that they would ensure that I would in fact get it the day it comes out. If I had waited until yesterday, I could have gotten it today through 1 day shipping. Anyway, it will not arrive until tomorrow. I just don't understand why (a) one day shipping wasn't an option and (b) they didn't get it to me the day it initially said it would.

22. Rexter-fangirl

Rexter-fangirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2010
    So there ARE deleted scenes on the DVDs.. their not just for the blue ray right?

23. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    Season 1 had NO audio commentaries, and as far as I can see, neither does season 2, even though they were advertised.

I have no idea what commentaries you are referring to. Short featurettes are NOT audio commentaries.

24. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    Sorry, no deleted scenes, either. Not on the DVDs, anyway. They are really crapping out on the Special Features with this series.

25. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    At midnight last night I picked up Star Wars The Force Unleashed II Collector's Edition PS3, Star Wars The Clone Wars Complete Second Season, and a Star Wars Clone Wars Adventures game card. AWESOME!!!!! I've watched disc 1 of season 2, and plated TFU II most of the day. Tomorrow will watch disc 2. The special features aren't bad, we get longer featurettes. I liked the Holocron trilogy feature. Pretty interesting!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.