*Official* Season 2 DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion Thread (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Senator Kelberry, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senator Kelberry Force Ghost

star 3
    Yeah all the deleted or alternate scenes I found were in the Jedi Archives which I gather is a Blu-Ray only feature.

BTW, anyone have a chance to watch the "Creating Mandalore" featurette? I think if anyone doubted whether Jango Fett was Mandalorian or not, I think Dave Filoni's commentary here puts it to rest, at least as far as George is concerned.
  2. Rexter-fangirl Jedi Knight

star 1
  3. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    I found an easter egg on disc 1: go to Special Features, go to the Main Menu button, and press the right button. Press the button Ahsoka's
    belt and get a featurette on Ord Ennicense!
  4. SpecialOpsUnit Force Ghost

star 4
  5. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    DVD isn't going anywhere. Not for a good long while.
  6. Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Someone needs to put that on youtube with the voice over the final scene. Then that episode would be good. Who dropped the ball and let those lines get changed.
  7. SpecialOpsUnit Force Ghost

star 4
    Didn't say it was, doesn't mean blu-ray hasn't replaced it though because it has. Blu-Ray this year is skyrocketing in sales this year. Blu-ray is just soooo much better than DVD it's not even funny. The difference between TCW in blu-ray and DVD is incredible.

DVDs are becoming cheap though and that's why they'll stay around.
  8. Rexter-fangirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    So which episodes had deleted scenes?
  9. WinterSnowblind Jedi Padawan

Very disappointed at the lack of special features, even as a blu-ray owner.

It's nice that the four episodes have much longer featurettes, but I really enjoyed watching them for every episode, to get an idea of the style and themes they were going for before watching the episodes again. Definitely going to wait for a significant price drop before picking it up this time.
  10. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    The featurettes include commentaries. Nobody advertised audio commentaries.
  11. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    This set didn't wow me as much as Season 1, but it was good nonetheless.

The artwork is good. I don't know why they picked Yoda for so much of it, but it looks glld still.

The featurettes were excellent, but I wish they had covered all the episodes. There was nothing on Senate Spy, Grievousl Intrigue, The Deserter, Lightsaber Lost, Senate Murders, Cat and Mouse, Bounty Hunters, Death Trap, R2 Come Home, OR Lethal Trackdown. It also was awkward that they had a whole page dedicated to just one special feature.

Like I said, it was pretty good, but not great.
  12. SpecialOpsUnit Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah the features are the only thing making this inferior to the S1 boxset. S2 looks better(packaging, the way they made the cover and everything shiny).

Though I am also disappointed with the single image of Yoda on the title screen. I loved the clips playing.
  13. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It's been since TPM DVD that I've been wowed by anything LFL has given us.
  14. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    Sorry but that's a no go. If it says commentaries in an ad for a DVD, then the majority of people picking up the DVD are going to be expecting audio commentaries. Featurettes are featurettes, commentaries are commentaries.

There are people commenting in the featurettes, but they are not commentaries, as the term is understood in relationship to DVDs.

Again, as advertised on starwars.com, for crying out loud:

"Bonus features include a look inside the Lucasfilm vaults, with featurette interviews along with Director and Artist commentaries on each disc."

PLease note that it says "featurette interviews ALONG WITH Director and Artist COMMENTARIES on each disc. To me, if they're just referring to the featurettes, then interviews and commentaries are the same darn thing. Therefore, reading that, most people are going to assume there are audio commentaries on each disc, as well.

15. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    In all honesty shouldn't the primary reason to buy the DVD's be the shows themselves?

I'll pick this up in the near future to go alongside Seaon 1 and I'll certainly watch the 'added' stuff, but the main reason I'll be picking this up is for the episodes themselves, not to see and hear Lucas and Filoni ramble on in nonsensical fashion about things.
  16. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    No they aren't. The interviews and commentaries are in the featurettes. What they are saying is the featurettes are not just interviews but commentaries too. Just because you assumed, doesn't mean other would too. When audio commentaries were announced in the movies DVD's, they specifically said audio commentaries.
  17. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm right, you're wrong. Move along, move along. ;)

Seriously, you don't have commentaries AND interviews in featurettes. They are the same thing, featurette-wise. You interview somebody, they COMMENT on what they're being interviewed about. You don't have both. They said interviews ALONG WITH commentaries, meaning two seperate things.

The average DVD buyer sees that in an ad, they ARE going to assume that there are commentaries (Audio) on the DVDs. I'm not talking the raging SW fans, I'm talking the average person who mostly just buys DVDs for the actual film or TV show, who may or may not even watch any of the Special Features, but still reads the back of the box when purchasing. When a commentary is advertised on a DVD, that is what 99.9 % of the time is being referred to. Audio commentaries, not some special way of saying that the behind the scenes people comment during the featurettes. Of course they do!!!

There's no point in trying to tell me otherwise. I've shown around 6 differnet ppl that ad, none of whom are collectors of anything in particular, and they all said the same thing, that they would have assumed there were audio commentaries on the discs from reading the ad.
  18. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Let's all just agree that LFL obviously dabbles in deceptive advertising. :p
  19. Artoo-Dion Chosen One

star 4
    I must agree. While the copy is accurate in a literal sense, it trades on the gulf between common understandings of the words in the context of DVDs and a legalistic reading. It's deliberately misleading.
  20. DAVIDSAL28 Jedi Padawan

Again, NO LOSSLESS audio on the Bluray. Even when it was announced it was going have some sort of DTS. The audio is Dolby Digital, not TrueHD. I don't get this. The Office got DTS HD Master Audio and Star Wars got a lossy soundtrack. It sounds good but it could be GREAT, as Star Wars deserves. I fear for the upcoming movie bluray set...
  21. Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Very very disappointed they did not have episode commentarty for each episode like they did in season one. I wanted to hear more about the Boba Fett trilogy.
  22. AnakinBrego Jedi Master

star 3
    The picture quality is less bit rate than season one, there's noticeable decompression, I'm disappointed!
  23. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I didn't get this DVD yet, but from reading this thread I'm getting this subtle, minuscule hint that something may be wrong with it...[face_thinking]
  24. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    I know! The one episode I wanted to hear more about was Lightsaber Lost. It is so saturated with things to talk about! The S2 commentaries are good for what they are, but compared to S1 they are seriously lacking. :oops:

Also, I noticed that the picture quality does not seem quite on par with Season 1. Does anyone have a technical explanation, or am I just wrong? [face_thinking]
  25. SpecialOpsUnit Force Ghost

star 4
    Your wrong. :p

The picture quality(blu-ray 1080p) is unbelievable on my t.v. Watching Landing at Point Rain is amazing. Episodes that show off some planets like Bounty Hunters, The Deserter and The Zillo Beast Strikes Back are visually outstanding. I can only imagine what Season 3 would look like on blu-ray.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.