main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Season 2 DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion Thread (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Senator Kelberry, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Well, my opinion may be biased beacuse of the fact that I only have the DVD version, and I'm watching it on a non-HD TV. [face_whistling]

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Only had time to watch Children of the Force and Landing At Point Rain, but they both looked incredible on my blu-ray player/lcd tv.

I haven't really compared with the S1 blu-ray though.

3. TogrutaJedi

TogrutaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2010
    I'm just wondering about Blu-ray: is it really that much better than DVD quality? I see this HD stuff in stores and it doesn't look that different.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Heh - never trust a store display. They usually screw with the brightness and contrast.

I'm not saying Blu-Ray to DVD is the same thing as, say, listening to music in FLAC vs. 128 kbps, but it is noticeably better in my mind.

Have you watched TCW in HD vs. regular definition? Looks about 5 times better, I'd say.

5. TogrutaJedi

Oct 30, 2010
    You'd think they'd have their displays looking great, considering how expensive it can be! I'm not an expert about TV quality, but I don't have an HD TV, so whatever's in HD doesn't look noticeably different. I'd like to see a good example of the picture difference, because I have thought about getting a Blu-ray player.

6. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    It really is much better. I can't go back to DVDs now.

7. JediRunner

JediRunner Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2005
    The only disappointment I felt was that they didn't have a featurette for each episode like they did for season 1. The featurette's they do have on season 2 are good. My favorite featurette is the one about Mandalore.

8. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    On the topic of Blu-ray, consider the difference in resolution:

NTSC DVD: 720 x 480 (about 0.3 megapixels)

Blu-ray: 1920 x 1080 (about 2 megapixels)

In fact, the Blu-ray image has exactly six times the resolution of the NTSC DVD image. That's six times the clarity.

On top of that, better compression algorithms are available for Blu-ray titles, so the early days of poorly compressed MPEG-2 video are far behind us.

Store displays also don't give you a proper sense of scale. Set up a full HD display with a Blu-ray player at home where your TV was and... yeah, you'll see the difference. Especially when watching full-CG titles like The Clone Wars, the improvement in image clarity is unmistakable.

But the pure numbers don't lie, in any case.

9. TogrutaJedi

Oct 30, 2010
    I'd prefer a 'see it to believe it' comparison instead of numbers. Too bad you have to buy all that expensive HD stuff to actually see the difference.

10. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Earlier this year I bought a Blu-ray drive for my PC, which was $200. Even at under full HD resolution, I could see the difference.

A partial upgrade like this probably won't break the bank, but it'll give you a start. I later bought a full HD monitor and couldn't be happier--it's just a more cinematic experience.

11. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    In Australia, they have released the DVD of this set two ways:

- 4-disc set with just the episodes
    - 5-disc set with episodes, the four featurettes and 68 page booklet.

The 5-disc set is only JB Hi-Fi exclusive.

Why Warner Bros. have done this, I have no idea.

12. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    JB have exclusive contracts with labels and studios--it's what allows them to sell at such low prices.

13. adamclark83

Feb 1, 2009
    I watched the featurettes last night and for the "Creating Mandalore", I would've thought it'd have stuff on Obi-Wan and Satine's history and the actors' interraction.

14. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I have the DVD, though I'm sure Clone Wars will be one of the things I get on Blu Ray sometime in the future. My roommate has a PS3 and HDTV, but seeing as we're probably moving to different locations next month, it'll likely be a while before I get both of my own. I'd love to see Point Rain in HD, though.

Good to have the episodes, but I am disappointed with the features. I loved that each episode on S1 had a behind the scenes featurette, so only getting them on a few multi-parters is too bad. What they had there was entertaining, though.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Mine just arrived today. I was surprised to see a 5th bonus disc with Kit Fisto. As for the extras, I would have prefered the season 1 type, but these were okay. Specially the one concerning Mandalore.

16. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    A Kit Fisto disk? I'm intrigued...[face_thinking]

17. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Is the Kit Fisto disc just the one mentioned above which had the featurettes? Or is there something more?

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The 5th disc with Kit Fisto is the one with the four featurettes.

I'm a bit dissapointed that there are no featturettes or commentaries about the other episodes... Instead we have one about the Zillo Beast, which was very uninteresting...

19. adamclark83

Feb 1, 2009
    The episodes are in the traditional 2.35:1 ratio, so why does the cover say 2.4:1? George only does 2.35:1.

20. DarthMarino

DarthMarino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    It's pretty much the same thing or they may have just rounded.

21. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    As am I! [face_thinking]

Was Holocron Heist expanded upon? There is a scene where Kit and Aayla are in the same room and I didn't know if there was further activity(I don't mean it like that! I just want to know if there was interaction.).

I haven't picked up S2 yet but I was looking at the back of the case and saw this:
    -22 action-packed episodes!

False Advertisement

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No.

23. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I've found some Easter eggs:
    This one was already posted: Disc 1- Special Features, to the right, Ahsoka's belt (Ord Enisence)
    Disc 2- Special Features, to the right, Eeth Koth's lightsaber (T-6 Shuttle)
    Disc 3- Special Features, to the right, Padme's data card (Jedi Library)
    Disc 4- Special Features, to the right, Obi Wan's lightsaber (Dug Castle)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.