main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoureNotJonesy

YoureNotJonesy Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2012
    Repost of the thread rules, as a merge messed everything up. :p

-This is the official Expanded Universe and the Sequel Trilogy thread. This is the only thread in the Episode VII forum where the Expanded Universe can be discussed. Any other threads will be locked; any posts outside of this thread will be deleted or edited. Repeat offenders will be banned.

-"Continuity" and "canon" debates are not allowed. LFL policy is that everything is canonical and part of one continuity unless there's a direct contradiction that hasn't had retroactive continuity applied to it. This is how this thread will conduct itself.

-What IS allowed: Story ideas from EU story lines, things you think would be cool to have in the EU. Things you DON'T want to come to the sequels from the EU. Basically anything but continuity debating.

So, basically, keep the EU discussion to here.

____

This is a good interview with Zahn and gets his perspective on the sequel trilogy. He seems every bit as excited as any fan, and I was glad to find out his stance on "what about the EU?" that everyone is asking.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/02/star-wars-sequels-timothy-zahn/

2. SamiS

SamiS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2001
    Awesome, thanks :)

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Grain of salt nowadays, but... interesting.

Jacensolo22 likes this.
  4. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I was reading later on in that same article how Zahn said that you have to keep in mind that it probably has changed because George likes to change his mind constantly on things.

kainee likes this.
  5. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    NICE! Certainly gives one hope. If Zhan can be that optimistic, then so can we. :)

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Actually says it in the very paragraph I quoted - still interesting with ominous italics, though. :p

7. YoureNotJonesy

YoureNotJonesy Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2012
    Well I wasn't going to say anything...

8. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    lol I think it might be time I went to bed. I can't believe I missed that. :p

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm glad I wasn't alone in noticing this...

10. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    This mirrors exactly what I've been thinking. Like the 2009 Star Trek, it's time for some fresh younger main characters, but with veterans as supporting characters. I don't think centering the story on the OT cast will be the way they go for trilogy #3.

11. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes, Zahn gives me hope, I'd love to keep the Thrawn Trilogy (and the classic X-Wing Series).

I'll quote this here too, I think it's interesting, though nothing previously unknown:

According to the Secret of History of Star Wars book (btw I don't know how seriously we should take that book):

______
    Although Zahn was given ample freedom to construct the story as he wished, Lucas himself would be more involved in the writing than any of the subsequent novels, the volume of which would later grow far beyond his control - for Zahn's sequel trilogy, Lucas would personally read and approve the treatments, and have veto power in story development. His first rule: the story is set shorty after the events of Return of the Jedi. So says Zahn:

"My original instructions from LucasArts consisted of exactly two rules: the books were to start 3-5 years after Return of the Jedi and I couldn't use anyone who'd been explicitly killed off in the movies. [...] George did read the original outline."
    ________

Darth Zannah and Grievousdude like this.
  12. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    A whole bunch of zahns clone wars story arc has been flushed......i just hope the rest does to.......would not hate seeing a "Thawn" walk past in the back ground that lind of thing

13. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    “Another thing in the Thrawn trilogy was the catching of Force lightning with a lightsaber blade. Apparently, George thought that was a cool visual and put it in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, so he has been keeping a close eye on what has been done,” Zahn says.

I never picked up on that originally. Is it possible that he sat down at read them at one point when he wasn't all that active?

kainee likes this.
  14. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Maybe he read some of them when he was searching for ideas and inspiration.

Ooh, that catching Force lightning thing... I remember I missed that so much in Jedi Outcast!:) You were almost defenseless against Force lightning.

15. sidious1000

sidious1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2001
    That or somebody told him or maybe they just had the same idea.

16. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    It clearly says George though that was a cool visual, so it wasn't a coincidence. He lifted the idea from the book, just as he did with Coruscant.

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Man, I loved those Zahn books back when they first came out. I only wished they had filmed that storyline when they had the chance, which was when the original actors were still of age, but it's too late, now. Unless they go with recasting the roles with different actors, this great series will only sit on our book shelves. What a shame.

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    Do you really want an adaptation though or do you want new Star Wars material? And as most people are saying, the main characters should not be the OT characters. We need something fresh.

kainee likes this.
  19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    "It could be an entirely new storyline, but if he picks and chooses bits and pieces from the expanded universe, we’d all be thrilled to death.”

Depending on what bits are picked.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It also says apparently, so it's possibly just conjecture on Zahn's part. Luke getting fried after throwing his saber away in ROTJ implies that one might be able to protect against lightning if one does not throw one's saber away. In other words Lucas may not have needed Zahn's books to come up with this idea, if Zahn came up with the idea by logical extension of what happened in ROTJ.

21. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    It's spelled "Zahn".

I've been called "Obi-Zhan Kenobi" so many times, so many times . . .

And to the thread as a whole, I have to say that I would love it if they had Mara Jade as Luke's wife, at least - even if it's a mostly different character. Same name and appearance and similar personality would be awesome.

JediFan215 and Teniel Djo like this.
  22. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    You know, while Episode VII won't be the Thrawn books... Disney has talked about spin-off films and television. We could easily see the books show up there as either a miniseries, part of a series, or a spin-off trilogy. At least, if the continuity isn't overwritten.

23. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The EU would be wide open territory for a TV series to jump in...

Marc McAllister likes this.
  24. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Exactly... I think more Star Wars is a good thing, especially if they sort the chaff from the gems before using the source material. I do not want to see Truce at Bakura ever on TV.

malaksilver and kainee like this.
  25. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Give me the first 4 books of the X-wing series on TV!!!! That would be awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.