main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Which will accomplish nothing but further the idea that some 'fans' are a bit too.... involved.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    you got their number?

3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    They will come to you and then you will bring them before me. [​IMG]

4. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I think we can all be pretty certain Chewie's gonna be there

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I didn't realise that was how they wrote movies nowadays. Everytime I hear of a new script being greenlighted, I'll be calling the studios to inform they must only show what I want to see

6. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Dear Lucasfilm, please throw out ALL the EU. Signed, the moviegoing public.

KED12345, DarthPoppy, jasman and 3 others like this.
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Clearly forged signatures here :p

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Clearly forged signatures here :p

Big Bad Yoda Daddy likes this.
  9. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Actually, I think they already know this. :cool:

Big Bad Yoda Daddy likes this.
  10. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I know I'm probably gonna be hated for this but I'm bringing physics into this. Time is not constant. These people have been space for a good amount of time. That means they wouldn't age as much as someone who spends all their time on a planet. Someone born on Alderaan (planet) will be born at the same time as somebody born on the Death Star (space station) the Alderaanian will age faster. Just saying

JevanShevu likes this.
  11. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Sound in space...

Whenever someone talks about things like an exploding Death Star that should have irradiated the surface of Endor or wonders how the Millennium Falcon reached Bespin at sub-light speed in a short time or basically anything to do with actual science, my response is "sound in space..." Oh I'm sure there's some book somewhere that explains that the sound we hear is actually coming from inside the cockpits, possibly as a means to have a complete aural sense of what's around them as well as visual but such an explanation is of course BS. Star Wars is a cinematic fairytale. There is sound in space because it's cinematic. The second Death Star doesn't cause a nuclear winter on Endor because that wouldn't be a happy ending.

But at the same time, Lucas and co made a point of saying that the Battle Of Coruscant took place in the upper atmosphere, allowing Grevious to breathe outside the ship and allowing animators to apply various atmospheric effects in the space battle. In Attack Of The Clones, Yoda even talks about gravitational effects.

So science is utilised when needed to help tell the story but Star Wars is fantasy first. Something like relativity could be used if they want to set the films in a time period after we expect while keeping the same actors but at the end of the day, it's Star Wars, not Star Trek. Han Solo isn't going to stop what he's doing to spend a couple of minutes explaining to the main protagonist (and by extension the audience) how relativity works. Especially not after the clunky way midichlorians were explained in Menace. And if it doesn't serve the story, relativity won't come into play at all.

In other words, sound in space.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Almost every science fiction film or TV series has sound in space.

13. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Why do you hate any star wars material that isn't the films?

The EU makes up most of the star wars material (tv, books, comics, games), and adds richness or more depth, to the existing star wars universe. If the EU never came to be, the star wars universe would be a lot more plain, we would barley know about the races/planets/cultures/histories/factions, etc, of the GFFA.

Beside, the EU has been one of the main reasons that star wars is alive today. It helped keep star wars alive after the OT but before the PT, and during and post PT. It allows people to get there star wars "fix" if they don't want to watch one of the films again for the umpteenth time. And for those who dislikes some or all of the prequels or even *gasp* the OT, it gives those fans a chance to maybe find different star wars material that they would like.

Yes im sure star wars would still be a popular franchise if the EU never came, but it sure would have less fans.

We sure wouldn't have a various types of star wars fans if the EU never existed.

Robimus, Ryus and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That is irrelevant. Fairness is not a parameter in Disneys considerations, of that you can be certain.

If you bring time dilation into this you may as well bring everything else into it.

15. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    You're never going to be speaking to me ;)

17. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Oh yes, Chewbacca absolutely MUST be in the ST, or the films will fail because millions of people will be confused if he isn't.

Hmmm...sarcasm doesn't come across very well in written text... :p

When I first watched ANH back in '78, it drove me crazy not knowing who Luke's real parents were or what happened to them! *also sarcasm* When I first saw RotJ, I was so mad because they didn't show how Luke became a Jedi or where the heck he got that green lightsaber from! Or what the heck Leia, Chewie, and Lando were doing the whole time between ESB and RotJ...I had to go read a stupid comic book *gasp!* to find out!

Pffft!

krtmd and Sinrebirth like this.
  18. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Luke having a new lightsaber (Which is addressed in the movie) and a main character not being included because he died aren't excatly the samething. And the point is Leia, CHewie and Lando didn't anything major or character defining in that gap, so we don't need to know. If there was one line in RotJ were Luke says "I'm sorry you had your kill twin sister Leia but she would have destroyed the whole Alliance", thats bad storytelling.

Or hell, lets compare oranges to oranges - would it be great storytelling if on the way out to the Sarlac Han said "so how come Lando isn't part of this plan to save me"? and Luke said "Oh, Lando got killed saving the Alliance Flag ship from an under cover Imperial spy".....good storytelling?

lbr789 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Chewie dead is just one irritating element (beloved character died offscreen) that would lessen the movie-going experience a bit for a general audience. That's all. It has nothing to do with "understanding". Having beloved characters die off-screen is bad storytelling, period.

Difference with ANH is that when we met Luke first we didn't have an emotional connection to him yet. We only started to care about his parents when we started to like Luke and later the PT got made to show us the back story on how our beloved favorites came to be.

By the way a ****ing lightsaber is nowhere as important as a character. It is only a neat tool and none of the thinking and feeling kind (like C3PO is). The movies are centered on the important events in the protagonists lives, not some filler about finding a new rebel base or whatever. Nobody is interested in seeing Leia brush her teeth.

lbr789 likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Lando was killed between ESB and ROTJ? Get the book out now! If that had happened

Ryus and jedimikey like this.
  21. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    They probaly have some kind of story on how chewie survived in the new jedi order, that is if they follow the EU. Geroge lucas did kill off chewie and anakin solo!!!

22. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Lots of problems here.
    1.) Assuming Star Wars actually is Science Fiction not a generational Fantasy epic that happens to use a Science Fiction setting.
    2.) Assuming that Star Wars ships travel at relativistic speeds (they don't).
    3.) Assuming real physics have any bearing on a series where people can levitate objects with their minds...

Ryus and JevanShevu like this.
  23. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    In a universe that is seperate from his own.

Vthuil and kubricklynch like this.
  24. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Hell, we might acutally get a half original story and half Expanded universe movie. Lucas did play some part in the eu and he did kill chewie!

25. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    So...what if we get Lowbacca (cool wookiee Jedi) and/or Anji (even cooler, a trained nexu), instead of Chewbacca? Nah....! That'd cause too much confusion...it doesn't mattter that 35-40 years have passed and ANYTHING could've happened during that time, right?

Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando are no longer the main characters. What they've done in the past 35-40 years is irrelevant, as long as none of it has any bearing on the story being told in the ST. All the stuff that happened will be irrelevant...marriages, deaths, etc. Chewbacca was NOT a main character, BTY. He was a sidekick. Actually, he was BELOW Artoo and Threepio in importance.

To be honest, I don't really mind either way. Chewie may or may not appear in the ST, I don't care. But let's be honest...he isn't needed. Heck, even Luke, Han, and Leia aren't needed...if they hadn't signed on, they'd have been written out of the script!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.