main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    First the words Lobacca and cool don't belong in the same sentence. Its like saying "The movie doesn't have Chris Rock but it has that cool Chris Tucker guy"

Second, why is that so hard for people to get understand - OF COURSE things happened to the characters in the 30 years between RotJ and EPisode VII, but a main character DYING, as part of an invasion by aliens from another galaxy to save Hans son, who died not long after anyway is too much back story about established characters for a general audience to digest.

You can't say what LUke, Han and Leia did did isn't irrelevant if it makes up a HUGE part of who the new characters are (like the baggage someone would have after killing her twin brother, or Allana being a main character but not having a father etc...).

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    And that is were you are wrong. It is relevant to anyone who watched the OT and enjoyed it of which there are many many many. Sentimentality is a huge draw if you do that kind of thing. Watch the new Star Trek. It is filled to the brim with known characters and callbacks to the original series.

It is also easier to use old characters because you don't need to establish them like you would new characters. People already know what Luke is about. They don't need to be reminded much that he is heroic.

Yes, you could write a good story without any of the known characters but why should you? Even if the story is the best thing ever people would still be disappointed because it messes with expectations too much.

3. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Chewie got applause for showing up in RoTS when I went to the theatre... He'll be in VII, I'd almost guarantee it.

4. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

Wouldn't the gravity on the space station be similar to a planet, therefore the time spent on the planet would be the same time as the space station? (which is a man made planet, in space, same as a planet) So if they were on the space station all the time it would be the same as being on a planet all the time?

I'm not certain about this, just asking

5. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    So, what you guys are saying is that "major events" shouldn't happen in the 40-50 years between RotJ and the ST?

Stang! How boring is that? Give me a break! That's crazy...

Look, I understand if you love Chewie, or hate Mara, or dislike the whole EU or whatever...but saying "nothing life-changing (ie; marriage, deaths, etc) can happen off screen" in a 40-50 year period is barking mad. It's EXPECTED, for goodness sake.

If Mark, Harrison, and Carrie hadn't signed on for the ST (this was mentioned in several articles, they would just be written out), how would their absence have been explained? Simple...it wouldn't have. Lack of Chewbacca...same. Lack of Allana's father...same. Lack of Ben's mom...same. If it has no bearing on the story told in the ST, it will not be part of the story, maybe mentioned in passing, to "tease" the audience. You can say that the sudden appearance of Luke's new green lightsaber is inconsequential next to the lack of Chewbacca in the ST, but really, the basic idea remains the same: if it's not important to the story being told, it will be left out. So, if the death of Ben's mom causes Ben to turn to the Dark Side, then of course her death would obviously have to be part of the story. But since the ST probably isn't even about Ben, then Mara's death is irrelevant. Irrelevant events, no matter how life-changing or major, will still be irrelevant if it isn't part of the story. All I'm saying here is that if it has nothing to do with the story being told in the ST, then it will be treated as irrelevant.

And I can say Lowbacca is cool...because he's a wookiee Jedi with a copper-tinted lightsaber blade, and a kick-a$$ pilot. He led a starfighter squadron that whupped the Lost Tribe's butts. But I understand if you think otherwise...because he's an EU character, and some of you guys so obviously dislike the EU. ;)

THAT's what this is REALLY about, isn't it?

Like I said in other posts, it's OK if Chewie appears or Luke is celibate, or Han and Leia's grandkid is somebody else. The ST will be awesome either way. But don't argue against the EU just because you dislike it's contents! I can honestly say I'm not arguing FOR it just because I like some of it. Some of it is, well, dumb...Jacen's fall to the Dark Side, IG-88's fate, and many other silly things I could mention.

Robimus, chris hayes and mes520 like this.
  6. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    Er...I'm pretty sure he was talking about relativity, not gravity. People who regularly travel around the galaxy at FTL speeds will appear to age slower than the folks who stay home.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't think Lowbacca is uncool because he's an EU character. I just think he's uncool.

jasman, Ryus and InterestingLurker like this.
  8. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    LOL! OK, then.

:p

9. Jedi Radenz

Jedi Radenz Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2013
    I don't understand why so many people would be upset if Chewie is not in the movies just because his death happens off screen. Mystery is good.
    I remember watching episode iv for the first time and wondering about 'the clone wars" and how Luke's father died. that mystery and backstory is part of what made Star wars so good. all that rich history. So when episode vii comes out and its revealed that Chewie died saving Solos n during another war, I think that would only make the moves even better! it will bring back that mystery and wonder, and make the universe that much more alive!!

jedimikey likes this.
  10. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    And there you have it. From a youngling, no less.

Does that mystery tease you to find out more? Hey, the graphic novelization of Vector Prime is excellent work, you know. ;) some of the best artwork and layouts from that era of the comics is right there.

11. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    There is no graphic novel of Vector Prime.

EDIT: Or were you supposed to be referring to a hypothetical future EU work?

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think they were thinking of the Chewbacca Graphic Novel.
    The things mentioned in the movies always get me interested in learning more about Star Wars.
    Episode 4-Why Han has a debt to Jabba, how Biggs defected, Red or Blue Leader (depending on the source) flying with Anakin, the first Rebel victory,
    Episode 5-Bounty Hunter on Ord Mantell, Bounty Hunters in general, why were Han and Lando not speaking, what happened to Han's reward and why was this still going, how and why did they go to Hoth, What happened to Yavin and Jan Dodanna, who is Reikan, what is the cave
    Episode 6-The Bothan spies, who are all of the people in Jabba's palace
    Episode 1, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's Apprenticeship, Who was Anakin's father, Where did Shmi come from, all of the Jedi and their training, how did Palpatine become Chancellor, why was Valorum thrown out so easily
    Episode 2-Border dispute on Ansion, Qui-Gon and Dooku's relationship, how did the CIS come to be,
    Episode 3-Master Vos on Boz Pity, any master during Order 66 really, what was Chewie doing on Kashyyyk,
    I want to find out all of these things and more. If people don't want to they have no right to complain. They can find out so make an effort. Reading a book won't kill you.

chris hayes likes this.
  13. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    [quote="Force Smuggler, post: 50607056, member: 1373954" Reading a book won't kill you.[/quote]

You obviously haven't read "The Glove of Darth Vader" - after trying to read that, I swear my hand went bad....

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012

You obviously haven't read "The Glove of Darth Vader" - after trying to read that, I swear my hand went bad....

[/quote]

I have. So much fun back then. Maybe not the best book ever but still entertaining none the least.

15. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    No! LOL! You're right...it's not Vector Prime *facepalm* it's the Chewbacca GN, see Force Smuggler beat me to it.

Duhhhhh...it's because the Chewie book shows the scene from VP....and the art IS really good!

*sigh* I think I've been working too hard....

Ryus and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Enough already. The EU has nothing to do with the films.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Random Comments, Robimus and Ryus like this.
  18. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    but this thread deals with both, deal with it.
    Here's for Episode VII growing that list exponentially if not even greater ;)

and to all you EU whinners, I have no doubt the EU is about to get bulldozed but I feel you're going to still be screaming at how much EU will be reimagined (most likely character and society wise) and/or inserted without edits (especially vechile/tech/planet wise)

Robimus likes this.
  19. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    Oh! OK, then...guess this thread will be locked shortly, then, 'cause Doug says the EU has nothing to do with the films?

:p :p :p

20. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    DO NOT QUESTION THE WISDOM OF DOUG. [face_laugh]

Doug625 likes this.
  21. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    That's why I'm not a physacist. :p

But I do understand the FTL speed travel thing. I was just wondering about if you spent all of your time on said space station would it be the same as if you spent all the time on a planet?
    But I suppose it wouldn't if said space station moved around the GFFA whereas the planet sticks to it's orbit [face_peace]

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    No, it's not, because it is a story and not reality. Story has different logic and rules than reality. Main characters don't die offscreen even if they are super-old. If they died in-between, find some way (flashback) to show that event in the movie.

If Luke isn't in it, people will blame the actor for it but you'll still see a lot of disappointed reviews: It just wasn't the same without Luke. It didn't feel like Star Wars. I feel like the spirit of the old trilogy got lost.

You are a fan. You are not representative. Usual audience doesn't go and buy a couple of books because of some minor open questions.
    I'm a fan and even I'm more interested in the grand whole instead of some minor plot elements like "what was Chewie doing on Kashyyyk?". Maybe he was trying to get his wife off-planet? There, imagination already filled that gap. No need to read a whole book on this.

kubricklynch likes this.
  23. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Yeah because Han was actually in his 80s during the ANH. The reason he looks so good: He's in space all the time. Just like Will Smith (doesn't age). As opposed to Luke though. He was 20 in ANH then 40 in ESB

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Except the movies never mentioned a wife for Chewie. Besides Chewie was married after this. People who only watch the movies wouldn't know that. Why would they assume Chewie was on-planet to save his wife if they didn't know he had one? That was a bit of shoe-horn imo even if they were on Kashyyyk. Imagination is good and all but I'd like something concrete since we know Chewie quite well.

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It's just an example. I can think up a billion reasons why Chewie would be on Kashyyyk. Maybe a cousin of his married and he was visiting? Who gives a ****?
    Only fans, that's who.

Lukes wife dead is however much more major.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.