main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Kashyyyk is the Wookiee home planet, why wouldn't he be on Kashyyyk? If he was living on Endor with a bunch of Ewoks, then we would need an explanation.

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    There was no discernible reason to have Chewy in the film let alone questioning what he was doing on the planet!

kubricklynch likes this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I always assumed Chewie lived on Kashyyyk at the time. You know, considering he's a Wookiee and all... I think most people (including the flannelled one probably) assumed the same thing. I haven't actually heard any in-universe explanation besides that.

lbr789 and kubricklynch like this.
  4. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    It's obvious and well known by now why the battle on Kashyyyk appeared in the film, but how big was the planet? Chewy just happens to be at the battle the film focuses on? Coincidence? I think not.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, my reply wasn't directed towards you but rather to Force Smuggler and to the discussion at large as to why Chewie was on Kashyyyk.
    I agree with you however. Chewbacca's appearance was pure fan-service. Don't get me wrong, it was great to see the walking carpet again, but no, it didn't make sense from a vast-galaxy perspective. Also, how come Chewie never thought to mention to Luke that he knew the head of the Jedi order while he fought in the Clone Wars? Eh.

6. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Good point. I mean, surely Chewy wasn't oblivious to where Luke was going/had been between Empire and Jedi? Doesn't Chewy tell Han in the dungeon at the Palace that looks now a Jedi Knight? But we'll probably get told that no one knew who Luke was going to see on Dagobah. And if he did mention Yoda to Luke it was probably done 'off screen' Hmm...

7. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Why exactly is Chewbacca being on his home planet supposed to be something that requires an EU explanation?

lbr789 and kubricklynch like this.
  9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Chewie "grrr rowl"

Han "boy you said it Chewie, where did you dig up that old fossil"

Doesn't sound like somone who was piggyback mates with the Jedi does it [face_whistling]

Still it's not like having Darth Vader build C3PO or Boba Fett be the template for Stormtroopers, now that would be stupid :p

Jcuk likes this.
  10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Except not all of the Stormtroopers are template of Boba fett and some of the stormtroopers are not even clones!

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is nothing really new, but since it is sort of an official source...

This is from this weekend at Wondercon. Full article http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44649

12. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

13. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Chewie was in ROTS because George new it would be Chewie's last film as at that stage he had died in the EU.......

14. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Lol

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked seeing Chewie as well but it felt out of place. Without Han, I didn't like it. I guess I'm going with an EU reason here but Chewie wasn't supposed to be on Kashyyk for 50 years before Rebel Dawn which takes place just before ANH. Unless a year on Kashyyk goes by fast.

16. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    So why didnt' Anakin marry Padme between TPM and AotC? Or Luke start training with Yoda between ANH and ESB? In the 3 years between ANH and ESB, neither Han or Luke made a serious move on Leia but suddenly in ESB she is kissing both?

If Luke, Han or Leia weren't in Episode VII it would be explained, just how the lack of Allana's father would need to be, just how Lukes lack of a father was explained in ANH.

The difference is viewers don't have an emotional attachment to a prop like Lukes lightsaber, they do have one to Chewie. And major events that contribute to forming the characters aren't irrelevant. Would the books have good if one had just started at the point after Jaina killed Jacen and its just kinda skipped over/teased without giving the reader the story?

I don't hate the EU, lowbacca is just lame, like Chris Tucker. And the EU won't be used because you don't build a story for a general audience on the back of 30-40 novels.

kubricklynch likes this.
  17. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    There is a difference between some event which has nothing to do with the plot of the movie and main character just disapearing. You don't have Han captured by Boba Fett and frozen in carbonite off screen. YOu want the audience and see that and experience it.

Well the producer of the movie has to.......

18. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    So now the producer, and the director have said the EU won't matter to Episode VII, and the guy who wrote the outline for the plot has a history of ignoring it.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  19. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    You know during filming (this is on footage for Empire of Dreams) Peter Mayhew said "the Old man's mad"

DarthApprentice likes this.
  20. Jedi Radenz

Jedi Radenz Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2013

Wait so your telling me that Lukes father "dying" turning into Vader has nothing to do with the Plot?? lol come on please. they would obviously make some ref. to what happened to Chewie and then maybe later after the movies are done, they can make a stand alone movie about the death of chewie to explain it away, since so many people need to "see" his death.

think about it for second. obviously time is going to pass its going take place, 20-30 years into the future so something must have happened during the time, why not use whats already there? once the movie starts they can go whatever direction they want but if you already have written history then why mess with it? do you really think in 40 years that passed off screen nobody dies or gets married or has kids? especially in a society like in star wars where there is always some war or some evil around the corner? if anything more people should be dead. its quite selfish to say, oh Chewie had to be in this movie because we need to see him die...really?

21. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Because A) they won't be following the EU and B) It's an original story C) Because a lot of the EU is... well a fresh start will do it a Galaxy of good.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Randy Stradley popped up in the Lit forum and clarified that bit slightly: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...over-the-star-wars-announced.50009484/page-20

23. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Awwww, no zombies? :(

Stradley is only telling us what we already know: the EU won't be slavishly followed and no existing EU material will be adapted. So, he doesn't know any more than the rest of us. What the ST will be about and what EU material it may or may not contain is still subject to speculation. We DO know that GL's story outlines will be honored, and with him, who knows?

Ryus likes this.
  24. Jedi Radenz

Apr 1, 2013
    A) Why not? the history is there, they don't have to base the movie on it, just acknowledge that things happened during the 40 years that have gone by.
    B) Yes its an original Story...so what does have to do with them using the EU or not? they are not basing it on the books but that doesn't mean they are not going to use Characters from the EU or continue on from Events that transpired in the EU
    C) yes, because only great stories become history...following your theory lets throw it out the prequels too since they weren't very good either

just because things happened in the Star Wars universe when you weren't paying attention they should be ignored?

everything from the prequels to the Originals to the animated Series to the Books fit together and are connected in so many ways, yeah some dumb things happened in the books but some dumb things happened in the prequels too and even in the Original. that's not a reason it just throw it away.

25. Jedi Radenz

Apr 1, 2013
    Something I've noticed that I find quite interesting.
    every year since 1991 there have been multiple books that have come out for the EU. Now all of sudden after the end of the latest series in August of last year, they have stopped publishing books. Its like they don't want to go forward for some reason. theres no upcoming books continuing the storyline (there are books from other eras being published) as a matter of fact the only thing coming up is a one book story that is centered around Luke, Leia, Han and Lando.

What does it all mean? probably nothing...but doesn't it sound like they don't want to go forward because the movie will take place sometime after that last book series? and that one book story would be like a last hurrah for our familiar heroes since once the New Movies come out they will have diminished roles?

I'm probably mistaken but it seams to me that if the movies were going to have nothing to do with the books they would have just kept on going with the books why all of a sudden stop...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.