main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Like I said, I don't know EVERYTHING, but something as basic as "did Luke form a new Jedi order" - we'll get that in the trailer.

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Odd day, we're agreeing... Luke will have trained more Jedi by now. It must be a sign from the force. :p

3. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I didn't say that, I honestly could see them going one of several different ways with it, and I think not having him be the master of a new order would probably be a more interesting way to go.

The point I was making was, the basic state of the characters, like Luke being in charge of a Jedi order (not my example) isn't something they have to hide or safe guard, as its probably the kind of info we'll get in the trailer, so you don't hold off on something like a cartoon series to hide it.

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I still think it would spoil too much. In the series they would want to bring the stuff that interests people the most (personality of the new Jedi Luke trains, government structure, state of imperial remnant) and this is the same stuff that would spoil the movie.

Wut???? We haven't gotten Vader for 30+ years now on the screen (stupid PT Nooo-Vader doesn't count).

Sure you shouldn't overdo stuff but a Vader movie (or inclusion in series) would bring Disney a lot of $$$.

5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Im all for somthing like this becoming the basis for a spinoff movie. Needs my Vader. :D

[​IMG]

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Ouch.

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's not enough plot for a movie, unfortunately, even if the comic kicks ass.

I'd go into the direction of Ghost Prison. Someone wants to take-over or bomb Coruscant and Vader has to stop him/her. These terrorists could either be some evil imperials, fallen Jedi or both. Vader would also need some sort of side kick, someone he trusts more than others so his personal side can be shown a bit.

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Funny part there is Vader stabbed her first, then cut off her hand. While it makes next to no sense, but I find it totally badass him taking the time to do that while surrounded by all those other Jedi.

And I said used as a basis, not adapation of the short comic.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Intimidation is plenty purpose.

About side kicks:
    Wrenga Jixton doesn't cut it. He's just a bad Han Solo. Running gag with Uncle D alone doesn't cut it.
    Laurita Tohm is only a kid.
    Daine Jir maybe? Find an actor who looks like him and make him interesting.
    Or a clone? I think that's maybe the best option of all. The clones are basically slaves and because Vader has been a slave he can certainly sympathize with them.

Ryus likes this.
  10. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Just knowing there is a new Jedi order isn't going to keep people from going, if anythin git would create excitment about hte movie and people would want to see it.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I just found this:

[​IMG]

Ryus likes this.
  12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Nice to know Vader found love and/or a best bud with Daine Jir after Padme broke his heart/Obiwan betrayed him :p;)

Good find sir [face_laugh]

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    This one is super-cute too:
    [face_love]
    [​IMG]

On a more serious note: I wouldn't mind if they gave Vader a girlfriend but I know it aint gonna happen.

Ryus likes this.
  14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Gives me an idea for the fabricated spoiler thread, runs away

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    (Not directed at anyone in particular, but to the "Gary Stu" discussion in general)

First of all, calling the phenomenon "Gary Stu" is just silly. The term is Mary Sue, whether the character is male or female. "Gary Stu" is just a silly male equivalent (same with Marty Stu) for people who are uncomfortable with a male character being called something that sounds feminine.
    And this is the wikipedia definition for the term (which I'd say is quite correct):

16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Tvtropes and what they say on 'Mary Sue'

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue

It's a long articile, heads up, however covers many different types of Mary Sues and the controvercies surrounding the term. It covers everything the 'wikipedia source' does and much much more. It covers many useages of the term including but not limited to 'Mary Sue as a character I dont like', 'Mary Sue as poorly writter character', 'Mary Sue as cliched character', 'Mary Sue as Author Avatar', & 'Mary Sue as Ideaized Character'.

jedimikey likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I have a horrible feeling that they stopped at the Cloud City photo booth posed for this on their way to Lando's dinner with Vader. Makes Lando's betrayal even more upsetting.

18. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Part of me actually wants them to adhere to the Expanded Universe. I know this may seem cynical, but if Episode VII trashes all of the EU, no matter how much of a quality film it is - there's going to be fans out there who go out of their way to try to drag the movie down to the level of the prequels. That's what happened with Clone Wars. Clone Wars destroyed an entire era of established canon and that's pretty much the primary reason you'll find that people don't like it. I even have people I know who've never watched the show, or read the EU, tell me when I mention Clone Wars that "yea, I don't watch that show because I hear it contradicts a lot of the established material." I really hope this doesn't happen with the sequels.

But then again, Star Trek 2009 destroyed a huge bunch of established Star Trek canon and got away with it and it's still a pretty well regarded movie to everyone, outside of Trekkies that is.

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I thought the new Star Trek film went "Altenate Dimension" or some such thing after the first scene.

20. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    It did but it screwed up the cosmetic details that should still be present even though it's an "alternate dimension." Or so I hear, I'm not really big into Star Trek.

21. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Meet people like that too KED12345

Anyways Star Trek 2009 reboot got away with it, mostly, for two reasons.

A) it didnt actually trash anything, Future Spock's very exsistance made it an alternate reality and therefore both are cannon. In a sense it honored the past stuff by not editing it. Star Wars can't really do that via a time jump creating an alternate verse but it can still honor it in many ways by including more of it than the prequels did but at some point include a vision of what future could have happened (the EU) and as such have the character avoid it. This cant work with everything, say the Vong's very exsistance, unless it gets a bit contrived say by have Thrawn survive and beat them before they could hit the rest of the galaxy or just scare them off... but it could prevent Jacen's downfall if say Luke or someone sees it before it happens... thus allowing them to legitly cut Dark Nest on, so those stories become a future that could have happened instead.

After all Yoda did say the future was always in motion, now while the EU didnt happen it was acknowlegded and as such could still play a role, say by Jacen now worrying about his daughter falling to the dark side but knowing his crazy plan to save her from the darkside was stopped before it could begin or have him once stopped before he could begin his fall be forced to come forward with everything and once he gives up his fear of her fall and attachment he then sees how to prevent it. This wont cover every detail but hopefully enough to satisfy most.

B) The movie had a much wider target market then say an average Star Trek movie (which is next to impossible for Star Wats to do since it already has a huge wide appeal vs Star Trek which previously only appealed to a few demographics), so all the upset fans where just out numbered. Problem here is being a movie and not a show it could just be a one time thing and even still the next one will be harshly judged by quite a few.

As to this applying to the sequal trilogy, it means if they change stuff they must have a great movie and actually do many of the things the EU did such as actually compitant female fighters (force user or non force user), include more romance (jedi can now marry or at least more clearly state Jedi cant get in trouble for healthy romance and family, but marriage needs approval), inculde more than just two sith at a time, not having the empire fall over night unless they have a really good new villain, etc... if they do these things in a sense they really should honor the EU by inculding some of it since if they dont they'll just get accused of copying it and yelled at when/if someone finds what happened in the EU better.

For appealing to their most hardcore fans they must honor the EUs exsistance least they upset a great deal of their most hard core fans. Note by honor I just mean include the bigger cast members of the EU where they can and other stuff. Most fans of the EU (be it fans who just liked some of it or more die hards like us) wont mind too greatly if we dont get book adapatations, just as long as we get acknowledgement for 22 years of buying EU product.

KED12345 and Robimus like this.
  22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Yeah, Star Trek has always had that "We can fix everything with time travel" kinda feel to it. That way you can have Kirk & Picard in the same film and such.

Star Wars has never worked that way.

Ryus likes this.
  23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    the books have started to show time manipulation using the force.

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    They won't put time travel into the movies, but they sure as hell can put it into the books.

25. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I really like this idea of acknowledging stuff even as you avert it. It could be done in a way that entertains both EU fans and non-EU fans. I think.

Ryus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.